back to article Love T-shirts, but can't be bothered to wash them? We've seen just the thing!

Geeks around the world, rejoice. You too can own a T-shirt that can go 10 days between washes, resist pizza and caffeinated beverage stains while keeping static at bay. The garment does so much, froths the over-excited copy "you'll never want to take it off." Or, if you do keep the thing on for the full 10 days, peel it off …

1. 0laf
    Boffin

Post office smelly man

The guy in the Post Office queue who smells. There is always one. I think it's legal requirement.

Just the same as it's a legal requirement to have a middle aged person in the same queue who must say in a 'not-a-whisper', "Look how busy it is and they've only got one counter open" and also repeatedly and loudly tut.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Post office smelly man

I see you've been to my post office!

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

They are a rich part of our culture and should be paid for by English Heritage

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I resemble the accusation! Granted I chunter about only one Post Office queue being open and tut a lot; but I take a shower at least once a week whether I need one or not.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

If it's once a week, rest assured you need it.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

At least its not like a US post office on tax filing day when the staff gleefully tell anyone who asks that at 5pm the shutters go down whatever and anyone left in the queue will fail to get the required proof of "I posted my tax return before the deadlne" needed to avoid an IRS penalty!

1. sbt
        Facepalm

At 5pm the shutters go down.

And fair enough, too; post office staff are people, too, with their own lives to lead; It's bad enough they've to put up the stench until 5, let alone past 5. It's not like you're forced to wait until the last day to file. Why are you even filing in paper, anyway?

"Poor planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on mine.”

-- Bob Carter

2. Imhotep

I recall in our area that the post office had staff out on the street taking returns as people drove by to help them make the date.

2. Imhotep

Put Down That Dwarf And Hand Me The Blowtorch

Didn't the ancients speak of an asbestos garment they could cleanse in fire?

3. JetSetJim
    Windows

Not that new - in-laws were doling out alpaca wool socks (like these) that claim to be wearable for a week. Thankfully I didn't get any, and I feel that my feet may prove a bit much of a challenge for their anti-bacterial properties.

4. Mongrel

Title space for rent...

I'm definitely on the side of "Just because we can doesn't mean we should". FFS, how hard is it to grab a shower and a fresh change of clothes on a regular basis?

I'm also wondering how many people will buy this, undoubtedly expensive, t-shirt because it's feckin' expensive then throw it in the wash on the same basis as their normal t-shirts?

1. PhilipN Silver badge

How hard is it...

No, that’s not what I meant.

This is reportedly similar to what a girl (one of those freaky humans who smell but don’t stink** and with bumps in strange places) said to a very young Bill Gates, presumably still wearing the same pullover he had had on since dropping out: words to the effect “at least you could wash your hair...”

** Acknowledgement to Dr. Johnson.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Target audience

Someone who will never want to remove a T-shirt...well, at least they are honest about the basement-dwelling girlfriend-free demographic.

6. Aladdin Sane

How long until this gets issued to squaddies?

7. mhoneywell

Wool

I think someone already invented this, it's called wool

1. EVP

Re: Wool

Wool doesn’t cut it. Just look at the sheep: they stink and look dirty after a day in the moor, despite having been receiving regular shovers during the day.

Seriously, wool has some magic in it. Somehow wool socks don’t turn into hazmat after a day of hiking or hard work, like socks made out of cotton do. I still wouldn’t say that the woolen ones don’t develop a special odour after having been worn in rubber boots for a day.

1. sbt
        Trollface

Receiving regular shovers?

C'mon, this isn't Wales.

2. Muscleguy

Nope and it isn't new either. I've been wearing them for over a decade as well. They are technical t-shirts made with nylon fibres so smooth at the nano level that bacteria cannot cling to them. It's the bacteria working on your sweat which causes the smell.

The technical thing wicks your sweat away without the bacteria and evaporates it. I run in these, Helly Hansen long sleeve tops with the stripes down the sleeves are like that. I have some Under Armour Black t-shirts I wear as undershirts (bought cheap as remaineders online).

I reckon I can go for two sweaty runs in the HH tops before they need a wash, not because of pong but salt build up. But I can wear the UA ones for a week in normal wear quite happily.

Someone in a marketing dept either in ignorance or chutzpah is punting yet another version of them. Perhaps these can be printed with no diminution of the properties or something.

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Yeah, I have a few Helly Hansen tops I wear for walking and they are pretty good at wicking and avoiding pong build up. I've also got a few pairs of socks which are made with silver coated thread, as it's antibacterial.

The ten days claim is a bit bogus though, as the person inside is going to reek after a few days if they haven't washed, so the state of the shirt is immaterial. (pun intended). If the wearer can wash, the shirt can be washed too.

2. Robert Helpmann??
        Coat

I've been wearing them for over a decade as well.

Maybe time to take them off and wash.

Mine has an integrated gas mask.

8. Chozo
    Devil

We've seen just the thing!

Aw bless Richard, what rock have you been hiding under? EverDry demonstrated its hydrophobic spray back in 2012, that video has over 17 million views on Youtube alone and for pretty much the same cost as three t-shirts I can buy enough of it to cover every piece of clothing in my wardrobe.

9. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Collagen shortage?

Won't someone think of the D- and E-listers who may have to wait for their operations because all the collagen has been used to make these t-shirts?

Cotton, water resistance and breathability form a trilemma.

10. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker

Camping

Michigan state park campsites.

Showers are (usually) horrible and too cold (admittedly, improvements might be coming).

Constantly sweating when not in a (Great) lake because August is the only month when the lake water won't give you hypothermia.

Might have to suffer a thunderstorm also.

No-shirt not an option or the mosquitos will get ya'! (And you'll sweat on everything else.)

If not for me, then definitely for my kids.

Alternative: Yard work at home -- sweat resistance / cooling, stain resistance (how about gasoline or two-cycle oil?)... If it could last even one whole day, that'd be progress.

1. the Jim bloke
      Black Helicopters

Re: Camping

if your mosquitos can be stopped by a shirt - you need better mosquitos.

1. Imhotep

Re: Camping

It turns out chain mail isn't the protection you might think either.

11. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Have they never seen the film?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_in_the_White_Suit

12. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Don't need it

I'm just going to get a t-shirt washing chimp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yf3xTGvYBs

13. Aqua Marina

History repeats

From memory I do believe you (el reg) posted a similar article about a t-shirt made from silver woven thread circa 2009 where the t shirt was useful for “whiffy people” and had a side effect of cooling due to the silver fibres dissipating the heat. I’ve had a quick look and can only find this from a couple of years later where the same material was applied to underwear. I shall keep looking and dig it out!

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/14/us_marines_british_underpants/

14. Johnny Canuck

If you're a Bogart type sailing down the Ulanga river with an obnoxious female missionary.

15. EVP

BS.

“Stink-free”, “never stains”... bullshit I call that. I challenge them and claim that I can make by wearing it one of their shirts to stink and dirty just in one day.

If I fail, I’ll promise to back them and became their greatest evangelist. Just send me a sample. Oh, I should back them first to get one... stalemate.

16. Venerable and Fragrant Wind of Change
    Thumb Up

It's certainly true that some garments can be worn a lot longer than others for any given level of whiff-tolerance.

Just think about what you would or wouldn't take for a long trek with a backpack, away from mod-cons such as washing machines. The kind of shirt that you put on in the morning and stinks by the end of the day is not going to be an option!

If this shirt delivers on its promise without any showstopper-sized downside, I'll be in the market.

1. MonkeyCee

Existing products

"If this shirt delivers on its promise without any showstopper-sized downside, I'll be in the market."

They already exist, give a wee google. 30-45 euro a pop, labfresh and underarmour are pretty good.

Personally I go for thick cotton ones, wear them for half a day, hang dry and biff them in the freezer. If I'm outside and sweaty then merino, but they are not a cheap option. Plus if keeping warm is an issue, then smelling of sweat isn't.

Then again, these days I do housekeeping, where everyone is sweating by 1300, and bouldering, where everyone is sweaty.

17. sbt
    Gimp

From what I've heard, gamers get a bit whiffy

There's been coverage about hygiene issues at gamer conventions. They should give these out for free.

And these, to cover up the zits. --->

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: From what I've heard, gamers get a bit whiffy

This shirt won't change the hygiene issues of the body.

18. Richard Boyce

On a serious note....

Astronauts need all the help they can get.

19. Chris G

Now if only

They can develop three sided underwear, so that it can be turned inside out twice before visiting the launderette.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Re: Now if only

Underwear can go 4 days at a push. Frontwards, Backward, Inside-out Frontwards, Inside-out Backwards. I've heard rumours of somebody who found a 5th way too.

H/T Jeremy Clarkson

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Now if only

5th way = Commando

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Commando

20. eyestwice

Silver, anyone

Just sayin’ (suddenly I feel quite hip, second attempt below):

I’d like to point out that silver has been used as an anti-bacterial for years. In clothing.

Admittedly I haven’t read the Kickstarter page because I can’t be arsed. Maybe it washes itself in fairy dust every time that you sweat. Self-spawning a new item of clothing would be particularly impressive.

As an early adopter on Kickstarter, I’ll happily review this product after launch. Through speech recognition, synced with my glasses, whilst riding a hoverboard.

On Mars.

1. Mephistro

Re: Silver, anyone

"Self-spawning a new item of clothing would be particularly impressive."

I see you have visited Pandora recently.

8^)

21. BGatez

perfect

A match for that new Taco Bell that will take ten days to pass through your colon.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon