back to article Samsung’s aspirational Galaxy Chromebook: Shell out $1k for a fast beaut (and remember to try Linux if you're into that)

Amidst the stifling heat and ever-present body odour of the annual CES trade show, Samsung lifted the lid on its latest top-tier 2-in-1 Chromebook – the Galaxy Chromebook. Available this quarter, and with a price tag of $999.99 (plus tax), the Samsung Galaxy Chromebook is arguably the most aspirational Chrome OS device we've …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

"which is designed to reduce eye-strain"

Yes, you really need that when using a wholly bright red device...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: "which is designed to reduce eye-strain"

Although in the distant past I used a Compaq luggable these days I wouldn't call anything with a 13.3" screen "designed to reduce eye-strain".

2. Graham 32

Re: "which is designed to reduce eye-strain"

... and a glossy screen.

2. sorry, what?
    Stop

And the battery life is...?

Clearly an essential piece of information somehow omitted in this article.

1. rmason

Re: And the battery life is...?

All they can give is the stuff contained in the solitary press release.

They've not had a unit to test.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

arguably the most aspirational Chrome OS device

what's the meaning of "aspirational" in this context?

1. T-Unit

Re: arguably the most aspirational Chrome OS device

Expensive!

Re: arguably the most aspirational Chrome OS device

...and shiny.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

how Samsung has handled the thermal demands

surely not throttling?! :D

1. a pressbutton

Re: how Samsung has handled the thermal demands

pump the heat into the battery (as per note 7)?

2. Psmo
      Flame

Re: how Samsung has handled the thermal demands

See icon.

5. Robert Grant

Samsung Galaxy Chromebook is arguably the most aspirational Chrome OS device we've encountered since the original launch of the Chromebook Pixel in 2013

"Aspirational"? Let's say "expensive". That's fine, and doesn't sound like a drone pulled it from the short list of "2019's Advertising Words".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Keep using that word. As a French speaker it makes me chuckle.

'Cause your high-end wotsit sucks.

6. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Devil

Get a Lappy With Free OS SpyWare? What a Deal!!!

Sorry, but when Google has un-removable inroads into everything I say, who I talk to and when with the US Gov having universal access to Google, I say shove your shiny laptop up into your nether regions.

Don't care how revolutionary this device is. We need hardened devices with layered privacy security; minimum 8192 bit crypto that isn't on the US Dept of Commerce export list. Give me that device, then we'll talk.

1. ZenaB

Re: Get a Lappy With Free OS SpyWare? What a Deal!!!

Then get this device and run https://www.qubes-os.org/

The essence of Chrome-OS is that it's a thin client to work with Google's services. It makes no difference how secure the comms or the OS if that's what you're doing.

There must be a number of use cases for deploying a thin-client solution but any worthwhile ones must start with finding a remote service you trust.

1. ZenaB
          Facepalm

I get that on ChromeOS - that's why I'm suggesting a full blown secure Linux OS instead seeing as NoneSuch didn't want to use Googles stuff...

7. IGotOut Silver badge

At last....

Something that is powerful enough to run 3 tabs of Chrome open without [insert tracking and advert blocking software] running.

1. Psmo

Re: At last....

Why would Big G want to sell that?

Where's the data?

8. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

Looks pretty

I suspect it looks like a lot of Samsung gear in the shops – looks pretty and enticing in shop, but not so good when you get it home. The few Samsung things I bought did not last long (TV needed replacement after just one month), external computer monitor lasted for about two years.

9. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

Microsoft losing to Chrome?

Well, it was good to see IBM toppled by Microsoft (after being loosened by Apple). But Microsoft replaced IBM with something just as evil (they inherited IBM's practices). But are we in danger of Google displacing Microsoft with something just as bad or worse?

Seems instead of people being in control of computing and the world, computing giants have found ever new and pernicious ways to control us. Mind you Satya Nadella does seem to be changing Microsoft into a more reasonable company.

So how do we escape this trap of computing?

How do we force computing to be the servant of all, rather than just for the benefit of the few?

10. PeterBelelius

I'm surely interested in this device, for both installing a Linux OS and Chrome OS, to give my 60 year old eyes some comfort

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like