back to article Improved Java support poured into Microsoft's Visual Studio Code – will it be enough to tempt developers?

Microsoft has announced several improvements to Java support in Visual Studio Code, its popular open source editor. Visual Studio Code is a general-purpose editor but benefits from thousands of extensions (there are currently thousands listed in the extension marketplace. Language Support for Java (an extension created by Red …

1. Tom 7

No Way!

See Reg article on Oracle Google fight.

2. Elledan

There's something odd about editing Java in an IDE that's written in JavaScript and HTML/CSS, but I cannot quite put my finger on it...

1. captain veg Silver badge

odd

Odd it may be, but it makes porting to non-Windows platforms a doddle. And it get the Visual Studio brand in front of devs on those platforms.

-A.

1. Elledan

Re: odd

Note: Java was supposed to be this 'write-once, run everywhere' thing. Seems like somewhere along the way JavaScript ate Java's lunch :)

3. sorry, what?
    WTF?

I don't understand the attraction...

If you're doing serious development, you need a desktop. If you're on a tablet (and therefore unable to use a desktop based IDE) you're not doing serious development. You might review something. You might even do a couple of lines of code to fix something, but you can do that through your cloud-based git repository UI without the need for a browser-based IDE. I simply don't understand the browser-based IDE concept. Unless, I guess, you have a Chromebook. But again, that isn't a serious developer's piece of kit.

As to developing Java - just use the best IDE (IDEA) and be done with it.

Hmmmm. Maybe I'm a fossil, but this seems to be a solution looking for a problem.

1. Amentheist

Re: I don't understand the attraction...

Huh who mentioned tablets? VS Code is a desktop application just ignore the cloud version?! Or keep using what you want?

2. blcollier

Re: I don't understand the attraction...

You are here, and the point of this article is way the hell over there. IIRC literally one line mentioned that VS Code has a browser-based offering through Visual Studio Online, and the chances are that people using VSO aren't doing heavyweight Java stuff.

FWIW, you don't need a massive hulking behemoth of a desktop to simply write code. Personally I would *prefer* a desktop, but for the most of the work I do the disk I/O speed (both random and continuous) is far more important than raw CPU horsepower. I *could* get more I/O speed out of a desktop if my company were willing to spend a *lot* of money on hardware (putting me out of sync with every other developer); however if I ever need enterprise-grade performance then instead of trying to get enterprise-grade performance out of consumer/business-grade hardware I simply move my workloads to enterprise-grade hardware.

4. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

I don't understand what Microsoft want Visual Studio Code to actually be. Is it a competitor to Eclipse, NetBeans and so on, and therefore a threat to the Visual Studio income stream? Is it simply a research project that someone mistakenly greenlit into release? Or what?

I mean, maybe they're losing money on Visual Studio (although at the price of the subscriptions, I very much doubt it). Otherwise I'm just at a loss to understand why, from Microsoft's point of view, it exists.

1. Kubla Cant

Like @Zippy, I can't imagine what MS stand to gain. They're putting quite a lot of effort into a product that's free, and that is an entrant in a fairly crowded field. One nice thing about VSC is the frequent and, in my experience, issue-free updates.

My impression was that VSC's original target was Typescript development. It's still rather better for that than IntelliJ (though that may be because my copy of IntelliJ is a couple of years old).

Interesting to see that NetBeans is still a thing. In two decades of Java I've only worked at one site where they used it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It is very simple to deploy to azure from vscode and that is what they want you to do. Chances are that you will stick around when you realize that it is must easier to use azure than aws, google etc when you are using vs code. It is trojan horse from azure so to speak.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like