back to article Latitude 9510 lappy has a speakerphone so you can tell the conference call all about your 30-hour battery

Dell's latest premium business laptop – the Latitude 9510 – boasts, among other things, a 30-hour battery, an optional 5G cellular radio, and, er, a built-in speakerphone system. There is a lot to unpack here, so let's start with the battery. Thirty hours is pretty much unprecedented. The only thing that has really come close …

1. BGatez

Typical of Dell is the reasonable price posted will be the most under powered version where the "suggested" configuration will amount to techno-rape.

2. Khaptain Silver badge

Specs look Ok

Easy to lug around, I don't know about that, it's a 15", 1.5Kg ( weight I presume is without the charger, so probably closer to 2kg) ...That's moving towards a machine that I would not like to carry every day....

And whats with the 1080p on a 15" screen, couldn't we get somethinh a little more interesting, especially for dev or multiple RDP sessions...

I do like the idea of 30hrs though... It would at least allow for a reasonable gaming session on the train without having to worry about the day ahead.. ( have to travel 2hrs out and 2 hrs back by train twice a week)...

Still prefer the Lenovo X1 Carbon, even though it's only rated at 15 hrs.

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Specs look Ok

as long it is lighter than a sewing machine...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compaq_Portable

1. Gio Ciampa

Re: Specs look Ok

"Louise the Luggable" as we named ours, back in the day...

3. MrKrotos

30-hour battery

Dont forget the added modern feature of a bloated battery that causes damage to the laptop touchpad just after the cover runs out!!!

1. This is my handle
      Linux

Re: 30-hour battery

I thought that was strictly a MacBook thing?! I've owned or been assigned (by my employer) dozens of Windows lappies over the years (not to mention Linux ones, but they were generally loaded with Windows when I got them), and the only time I've had this issue was on one of the two MacBooks I've carted around during that same time period.

1. It's just me
        Unhappy

No, We've had to replace swollen batteries on probably 10 to 20% of our Dell laptops over the last few years, over 50% of the XPS and Precision laptops purchased 2016-2017 had this problem. Dell did proactive replacements of a number of them in early 2017.

2. phuzz Silver badge

At least being a Latitude, it'll be easy to replace any parts that do break.

It used to be about five screws to replace a track-pad on the old models (looks like it's more effort on the newer ones, but there's no glue, just screws).

3. NATTtrash
      Trollface

Well, maybe that 30 hrs can be even extended further. I mean, if all the bloatware that's sipping power is removed. Then again, maybe removing the bloatware was how got to the 30 hrs. And then in a Marketing spin sell the no bloat version as the "Business Edition".

1. Fatman

Re: Marketing spin

We all know what distortions of the truth Marketing types are capable of.

I wonder if the timing of this announcement was made to put pause to plans to spend budget cash on hold awaiting its release ("Oh, look at what is coming soon, hold that purchase order.") Me cynical? Of course!

4. Alex C

30 hour battery

It does mean you can take it home for the weekend without having to lug about a charger though. It actually does a lot to make it more portable. As the buyer of PCs at my company I have to buy two chargers everytime anyone wants a laptop so they can leave one at home and one in the office. In a few years when these are sensibly priced I'll likely end up buying some (or their future equivalents).

5. Dr. Vagmeister

Will the Device Be Puposefully Restricted ?

As with many Dell laptops (not sure about other brands) will they restrict to maximum memory to 16GB (example) when the slots can allow 32GB, or restrict the 2.5inch drive bay to 2TB, such that a 4TB will not work ?

Dell do this through the BIOS ??, so rather than have a very good upgrade path, you are restricted. I asked on current laptop, and slot will allow for 16GB, but they stated it is not supported through the BIOS.

On the website, if you want a 32GB laptop, it will cost as a minimum, nearly £2k (all bar £51).

So, any future proof through expandability is not possible, and you have to pay at least £1.3k extra for the specification of the machine you will want in a few years time, whereas the memory upgrade will cost much less.

Fed up being ripped off with these sharp practices.

6. Sandtitz Silver badge

"As with many Dell laptops (not sure about other brands) will they restrict to maximum memory to 16GB (example) when the slots can allow 32GB, or restrict the 2.5inch drive bay to 2TB, such that a 4TB will not work ?"

Which Dell laptop has limited the hard drive size in the way you describe? I've never had any expansion problems with any computer other than the limits imposed by CHS or older LBA limits.

Technically a memory slot could house a module of any RAM amount The limits typically lie within what the CPU/Chipset will support. In this case the laptop will take only 16GB LPDDR3 memory since that's the hard limit of the Comet Lake CPU when combined with LPDDR3. The CPU can address 64GB of DDR4 memory but Dell has gone for the maximum battery life here. (LP = low power)

"I asked on current laptop, and slot will allow for 16GB, but they stated it is not supported through the BIOS."

Which model was that?

1. Dr. Vagmeister

It is a Dell Inspiron, 4 years old, you can obtain a 16GB DIMM from :

https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/ct204864bf160b

I wrote to Dell, and the BIOS does not support the extra memory, although the chipset and processor support up to 32GB.

Also, their latest 17inch laptop for the home :

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-17-3793-laptop_users-guide_en-us.pdf

Specifies 16GB maximum memory, yet each slot can accommodate 16GB DRAM modules. Similar for the disc storage, 2TB max supported.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

"Similar for the disc storage, 2TB max supported."

The memory upgrade - I can't understand Dell's decision at all.

My simple advice: don't buy (their) consumer junk.

The 2TB HDD is probably the biggest available from Dell for this model. I'm pretty sure any compatible drive >2TB would work in that laptop.

1. It's just me

There are several things that may limit a system to 2TB. MBR formatting has a 2TB limit and certain SCSI commands have a 2TB limit. So if the system doesn't support UEFI booting to a GPT partition with a 64bit OS or it doesn't support LBA64 then it might have this limit. Or they might not want to list all the caveats or deal with the increased support load and its simpler and cheaper to just say they don't support it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just one question: will it run Linux?

As Microsoft has a strangelhold on OEMs through withholding discountson Windows installs if they're not on a locked down machine I would only be mildl;y interested if the machine came with Linux support, and by that I mean ways to get the fun extras to work as well as an unlocked UEFI that would allow me to rid the machine of its one less fun feature (the default OS).

Otherwise, meh.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: Just one question: will it run Linux?

"As Microsoft has a strangelhold on OEMs through withholding discountson Windows installs if they're not on a locked down machine"

Locked down how?

"I would only be mildl;y interested if the machine came with Linux support"

Dell has Ubuntu listed as supported OS.

8. Captain Scarlet
    Paris Hilton

Speakerphone

So basically a laptop that has microphones and some speakers, like every other laptop?

Do the 4 microphones really make that much of a difference (Just so you know I work on a HP which has 2 microphones, I havent had an issue before video conferencing before)?

1. It's just me

Re: Speakerphone

It doesn't mean they are doing it, but when there are additional microphones available then some advanced signal processing and noise cancelling algorithms can be employed to give better audio quality.

2. Whoisthis

Re: Speakerphone

Got this on my HP elitebook. There are microphones at the back of the screen and you can change from one person only (i.e. the one facing the screen) to conference mode. Useful feature for work.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like