back to article British bloke accused of extorting victims for 'Dark Overlord' hacker crew finally gets his free trip* to America

A British man suspected to be an instrumental member of the Dark Overlord hacking crew has been extradited to the US for trial. On Wednesday, 39-year-old Nathan Wyatt, of Wellingborough, England, appeared in a federal district court in eastern Missouri to face charges [PDF] of aggravated identity theft, threatening damage to a …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

One down, many to go

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy, apparently.

Seems like it's actually getting harder to be a scumbag on the Internet. Good.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

US justice

Harsh, but, ummmm, no, just harsh.

3. Khaptain Silver badge

The Dark Overlord Face

His mugshot fits in with the title...

I wonder if his future fellow cellmate(s) will call him the Dark Overlord or simply the Dark Hole ? ( I use future as this is the States, he's not rich or famous, so we know he's going to jail).

I didn't understand though if he was, or can be, also put on trial in the UK for the same offenses ? Normally you can't be charged twice for the same offense in the same country but can you be charged for the same offense in two different countries ?

1. Venerable and Fragrant Wind of Change

Re: The Dark Overlord Face

The UK has so many loopholes and ambiguities he'd be sure to be acquitted if he greased the right palms. And the right palms probably wouldn't even have to extend beyond his own lawyer, just so long as he found one capable of fixing things.

1. Hollerithevo

You think bribery is the standard case in the UK? Really?

2. Cynic_999

"

The UK has so many loopholes and ambiguities he'd be sure to be acquitted if he greased the right palms.

"

You have it completely arse-about-face. It's in the US where money can buy you out of jail, perhaps because they have an elected judiciary and prosecution service. In the UK, it can get you a better lawyer, but will not let you escape the justice process.

1. O RLY
          Headmaster

The US federal judiciary and prosecutors are not elected. Federal judges are appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate to life terms as laid out in the Constitution. United States Attorneys (federal prosecutors) are also appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate, typically for the length of the presidency.

The individual states typically do have elected district attorneys (prosecutors), judges, and attorneys general, but this bloke is facing federal charges.

1. kain preacher

SAhem the DA (the DA runs the office) is elected but the ADA who proscute cases are hired

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Robert Helpmann??
      Headmaster

...we know he's going to jail.

He's already in jail. He's going to prison.

1. Wilseus
        Headmaster

Surely you mean gaol?

4. Alister

He pleaded not guilty, and will be detained until his next court date, which has not yet been decided.

Next court date has been penciled in for January 2030.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why is the Register so mischievous when it comes to hackers?

He is going to prison, no need to put the boot in.

1. Alister

Because this is primarily a website for those who work in IT, and individuals like him bring down the whole profession.

1. Matt 21

Allegedly....

2. JimC

and also

They make our jobs much more difficult and less fun, because we have to put enormous amounts of effort into scum mitigation rather than actually doing something useful for our users.

Those of us who are old enough recall when we built and/or used the internet on a basis of trust, foolish as that might have been in hindsight, and the actions of these [redacteds] feels like a betrayal.

1. spold Silver badge

Re: and also

Oooooo - I can change my title to Chief Security and Scum Mitigation Officer - sounds sexier, and it's longer so I deserve a pay rise! Probably deserves a corporate gun as well as the mobile phone.

OK someone might think it is something to do with keeping the bath clean.

1. David 132 Silver badge

Re: and also

spold OK someone might think it is something to do with keeping the bath clean.

"Putting the IT into CillIT Bang!"

3. Rasslin ' in the mud
        Flame

"...individuals like him bring down the whole profession."

The profession seems to be doing a good enough job as a group. I am tired of having to be a beta tester, at a minimum, for every product release I have paid for, sometimes substantial sums. I am aware that "management" is at the heart of the problem, what with unrealistic schedules and budgets. They, too, are members of the profession and probably most responsible for reputation damage.

IT: One label to bind them. One brush to tar them all.

4. Erebus_77

Because hard working IT Professionals like us are one visit from pricks like this away from the dole queue

If it means every now and then, one of them ends up looking at a lifetime of biting the pillow in a US clink, so be it

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

One prick away

Back in the early '90s I used to mix in the higher echelons of society (using nearly all my IT pay packet to go to the 'right' events) My email address book contained royals, most other heraldic levels and MPs amongst others. Then a virus got past my defences and spread to my contacts.

Que a visit from, and lengthy conversation, with Special Branch (it was the fact that the virus had got past the Parliamentary fire walls that really got their goat!) and no further invitations to any society events. (I was told a number of years later by a local Earl that all the recipients were told by SB to sever all ties with me, which was a little harsh!)

It meant that I got back to being more 'normal', but I do miss those people. At least they were not the 'Z' list, vacuous, reality TV celebrities that dominate "Hello" magazine and tabloids these days.

5. Aquatyger

So, like lawyers, 95% of the profession give the other 5% a bad name?

2. macjules

We like putting the boot in.

3. N2

He's going to prison, one down thousands to go

Just what do you think this site is for?

4. TeeCee Gold badge
      Mushroom

'Cos we're the poor sods who have to clean up after the worthless, parasitic shits and live with the reputational damage?

6. LucreLout

Where is Anne Sacoolas?

Why are we sending anyone for anything until she too is on a plane?

Harry Dunn's family deserve justice, and they haven't got it.

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Where is Anne Sacoolas?

I'm sure that between Trump and Boris jus.......................pft, nope, sorry, I couldn't keep a straight face all the way through.

2. NonSSL-Login

There goes that bargaining ticket...

Business as usual on the one way extradition street from UK to US. Bout time someone had the balls to resolve that.

3. Nunyabiznes

I absolutely agree she should face court in the UK.

That being said, there have been numerous such atrocities over the years and diplomats and their dependents have gotten away with it based on diplomatic immunity. About the most that any country that plays in the international world can do is send the diplomat and family home as persona non grata, unfortunately. Many times local justice is undone in the interest of the State and its international ambitions. States are locked into a zero sum game where if they give here they have to give -there-, in a situation where justice isn't considered equal to their local version.

Sorry, but that is the short and long of it, whether I agree or not.

Personally, at a minimum, I would like to see her tried over here (US) in her local jurisdiction and sentenced (if guilty of course) quite harshly as a reminder that diplomats (or their dependents) have responsibilities as well as benefits.

4. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Joke

Simple...

just tell Trump that there the US has a great trade deficit of people accused of one thing or the other, with the US importing vast numbers compared to the number they export.

5. Old Used Programmer

Since--so far as I know--the basic facts of that case are known, Dunn's family could probably win a wrongful death civil case fairly easily. Probably not as satisfying a putting her in the slammer, but far better than nothing. (Note that this is how O. J. Simpson was taken down after his criminal acquittal.)

1. Killfalcon Silver badge

The OJ Simpson case had possibly the best outcome possible from the civil case.

He was going to put out a book called "If I Did It", pretty much taunting the family of his victim.

They sued.They got the publishing rights. They published it anyway, but the cover was printed with the "If" in the title greyed out.

So he ended up paying to publish a book that sat on shelves wherever books are sold with the words "I DID IT" in clear bold text next to his face.

6. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Some breaking news on the subject - "The CPS said it had started extradition proceedings."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/dec/20/anne-sacoolas-charged-over-death-of-harry-dunn

The chief crown prosecutor, Janine Smith is quoted:

“May I remind all concerned that criminal proceedings against Anne Sacoolas are now active and that she has a right to a fair trial. It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.”

1. JimC

Interesting to note that she's apparently objecting to returning to Britain because our sentences are so harsh...

7. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I hope he wasn't extradited before he was due for release from his present sentence, otherwise he owes us some more time when (or should that be if?) he gets back.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

It's more or less standard practice in the UK for multiple prison sentences to be served concurrently rather than what seem to be the US standard of serving them consecutively. The UK will treat any time served in the US as time served on his UK sentence.

8. Big Al 23

Why do some folks believe that being extradited to the U.S. to face punishment for crimes is "harsh". Do people actually understand the damage associated with hacking?

1. StargateSg7

Because in America, not only are prison sentences VASTLY disproportionate to the crime (i.e. stacking of charges ending up with 50+ year sentences), within the first few weeks of entering the prison system, you will be SMASHED (beaten up) to see how tough you are, be forced to join a prison gang or be raped every day for the rest of your prison life as the local "Shot Caller's Prison B&^%^" or until you commit suicide. Take your pick!

When you come out you WILL be a changed person FOR THE WORSE, and unless you're 200 lbs (90 KG+) and well-muscled, YOU'RE DEAD or you WILL be crippled when and IF you finally get out !!! The guards don't (Won't) help you and the actual cell conditions and the sheer amount of aggression, savagery, disease and infection within the U.S. prison system that YOU WILL GET EXPOSED TO would UTTERLY SHOCK the average UK'er.

Look at this!

When you're FRESH FISH entering a U.S. Prison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU3POj1PXE4

His other "Prison Life Videos"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWUxLYGeeIKxxioUqL54Q8g/videos

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So don't commit a crime then. Its really not that hard.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like