back to article In an homage to Harry Potter's every-flavour jelly beans, Microsoft unveils 'Lucky Dip' Windows 10 testing ring

Mixed news for Windows Insiders today as the window for jumping to the Slow Ring slammed shut amid promises of minty fresh code for those on Fast (but don't ask for which version of Windows, m'kay?) Build 19536 of Windows 10 arrived for those brave souls on the Fast Ring last night, as the Windows Insider team offered up an …

1. Dave K
    Joke

Lucky dip?

"Microsoft unveils 'Lucky Dip' Windows 10 testing ring"

Doesn't that exist already? I thought home users were the lucky dip testing ring - or at least Microsoft's recent dodgy releases certainly seems to suggest so...

2. sbt
    Facepalm

So yes, all a bit confusing.

That's putting it mildly, 007.

This hole Ring thing seems like a crummy horror movie from 2002.

At least with semver style versioning there's a kind of logic to it. Was there some kind of terrible Windows 11 pun they were afraid of? Or Windows the 13th, part 3?

1. cookieMonster Silver badge
      Pint

Re: So yes, all a bit confusing.

'...hole ring...' I see what you did there...

Snigger.....

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"this is not so good for those planning deployments"

Windows is not so good for those who want to plan anything beyond the next three weeks.

1. keithzg

Re: "this is not so good for those planning deployments"

"Windows: Plan for yesterday, be disappointed tomorrow"

4. Tom 35

And we have all had a booger-flavored one once.

1. stiine Silver badge
      Unhappy

Once?

You must be a very lucky individual, indeed.

2. Teiwaz

Could have been worse.

'Every Flavour' sounds like an adventure, but even booger and ear wax are mild schoolyard imaginings of the true potential horror.

No one ever mentions faeces, dog food or pot noodle.

5. YetAnotherJoeBlow

MS more of the same

I'll probably be retired when this all falls apart but I will certainly enjoy watching and listening to the excuses parade.

6. RyokuMas
    Facepalm

Still going...

"Okay, so you're gonna shoot yourself in the foot, right? But this time, you put on a blindfold first, spin round five times, then use the first gun you put your hand on."

"... Could be a peashooter, could be a rocket launcher but hey! that's half the fun!"

1. Teiwaz

Re: Still going...

"Okay, so you're gonna shoot yourself in the foot, right? But this time, you put on a blindfold first, spin round five times, then use the first gun you put your hand on."

Installing Windows in the first place seems like pointing gun at own foot in my opinion.

'Lucky Dip' windows might qualify as 'Russian Roulette'.

7. JulieM Silver badge

"Homage" begins with a H, which is a consonant. Please, write "a homage"; or, if you are trying to be posh with a silent 'aitch (because the French drop their H's), please write "an 'omage" with a 'postrophe.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do you do copy editing?

I really need one, how much do you charge? :)

2. Carpet Deal 'em
      Headmaster

The use of "an" or "a" is entirely based on phonetics, spelling be damned. A quick bit of research suggests pronouncing the "h" in this here word is a minority realization, anyway, so "an homage" would be the "proper" form if one were to insist on one.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, and put 2 "m" please in "hommage", like we, frenchies, like to write it :)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If this were a QA team...

...Then I would thoroughly approve of this decision. As it is, we don't get paid to beta-test on their behalf and they can take their half baked underfunded mess propping up their shareholders at the expense of IT generally - and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

And Breathe.

9. Unicornpiss
    Meh

Every flavor code

MS Insider: "Hey guys, just installed the latest from Microsoft. Booting it for the first time now!"

Friend: "What flavor did you get this time? Is it cherry?"

<pause>

MS Insider: "Ugh. Boogers again."

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Every flavor code

"MS Insider" got off lightly this time.

10. Blackjack Silver badge

Watch out for the brown update...

It might make windows defecate.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"While great for the enthusiasts keen to get their hands on the latest and greatest, this is not so good for those planning deployments where it is important to know what a given version of Windows 10 is going to look like."

Windows Insider fast ring isn't intended for people to plan their deployments in this way, thats what the other rings, namely the 'Release Preview Ring'. I get that its trendy to bash Microsoft, but these posts constantly whining about hiccups in the release processes are tiring.

OS development isn't easy.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wait ...

No notepad color update ??? No new fancy font no-one will ever use ???

MS really has gone down as of late.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like