back to article It's 2019 so, of course, this Wells Fargo employee accused of stealing customer cash posed with wads of dosh on Instagram, Facebook

A Wells Fargo employee is accused of stealing bank vault deposits – and posting pictures of the alleged purloined loot on Instagram and Facebook. Arlando Henderson, 29, of North Carolina, was on Friday indicted on 35 criminal counts: 19 counts of theft, twelve counts of making false entries, two counts of financial institution …

1. Josco

How many trainers?

Had a shufti at the Instagram postings, how many pairs of trainers has he got? And they're all so clean, and expensive I shouldn't wonder.

How do you get 14,400 followers with only 20 posts? I've done nearly 30 and got 15 followers.

I really don't understand social media...

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Coat

Re: How many trainers?

I really don't understand social media...

Seems our friend doesn't either. Maybe he should hire a social networking trainer instead of buying shoes?

1. BillG
        Facepalm

The Bank and the Criminal

or,

Dumb and Dumber

1. Fatman

Rack up one vote for the latter. (Dumb and Dumber)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The question is

How many followers did he have BEFORE he did this?

I'll bet 99% of them followed him after this report made the news, so they can see if he posts any other stupid things before he's off to prison!

1. Rich 11

Re: The question is

Perhaps they're wondering if he's daft enough to film himself sticking a skeleton key up his arse the day he gets sentenced.

3. Cuddles

"How do you get 14,400 followers with only 20 posts?"

You pay $88 grand for them.

1. Erebus_77

$88 grand, plus about 25 years

2. Ima Ballsy
    Facepalm

Gesss .......

Obviously not the brightest bulb on the tree .....

I guess he will be spending time with Bubba at the local holding pen this Christmas

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

You might expect someone who's worked in a place for years to become sufficiently familiar with processes that they could spot gaps in the system that mean they could exfiltrate substantial sums. But after a few months?

1. Imhotep

I think I'm removing my remaining money from Wells Fargo. They just can't seem to understand whose money it is.

1. DavCrav

"They just can't seem to understand whose money it is."

At the risk of re-starting an argument from a previous article on here, it's the bank's. You are an unsecured creditor. It's just that Wells Fargo seem to treat their money like it was yours, rather than theirs...

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

FDIC?

With the existence of the FDIC, isn't a bit unfair to refer to depositors as "unsecured" creditors? That insurance does generally come through...

1. DavCrav

Re: FDIC?

"With the existence of the FDIC, isn't a bit unfair to refer to depositors as "unsecured" creditors? That insurance does generally come through..."

Unsecured creditors who have a CDS then.

It means they aren't at the front of the queue (or in the US, line) when the default happens. Being insured means the federal government is on the hook for the payments, rather than them getting (some of) their money back through the administrators.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

That's the problem with kids these days, no patience.

No discretion either. It's not because you got out the door with the loot that you can't get caught the week after.

In any case, he won't have any housing issues for the rest of life. That's one form of success, right ?

4. Stork Silver badge

Sometimes you are reminded that it is a luck for the cops and the world in general that most criminals are not that bright.

I guess this is the current equivalent of boasting down the pub

1. sbt
      Facepalm

Who needs backdoors ...

... when the crims are screaming 'Look at me! Guilty!' out the windows.

1. Rich 11

Re: Who needs backdoors ...

Or saying 'Read the transcript!' straight into a television camera.

2. baud

Re: Who needs backdoors ...

… and showing material proof of their deeds to hundreds of passers-by

2. phuzz Silver badge

The criminals that are caught often aren't that bright, but as others have pointed out; he was working there for only a few months, managed to steal $80,000, and was only caught because he was an idiot.

How many people do you think currently work there, who are being more discrete about their crimes and therefore haven't been caught yet?

Oh wait, this is Wells Fargo we're talking about. Theft and fraud are pretty much their corporate goals. I'm surprised this guy didn't get a promotion.

1. fidodogbreath

Oh wait, this is Wells Fargo we're talking about. Theft and fraud are pretty much their corporate goals.

Their corporate mission is to steal from others; they don't like being on the receiving end.

5. Mark 85
    Facepalm

Posting on the internet... did he really think he wouldn't be caught? Unbelievable. See icon.....

1. dajames

Posting on the internet... did he really think he wouldn't be caught? Unbelievable.

But ... nobody believes anything they read on the internet! Hadn't you heard?

6. beep54
    Devil

My take

If anyone lost money, well, you were using Wells Fargo. It's kind of a given that you are going to get screwed.

7. elvisimprsntr

Note to self: Don't flash your ill gotten loot on social media. Someone just might be watching.

1. Jedit Silver badge
      IT Angle

"Note to self: Don't flash your ill gotten loot on social media"

Note to elvisimprsntr: You're on social media right now, and you just implied that you have ill-gotten loot to flash.

(The IT angle will possibly come from elvis, after I supplied the "Shhhh".)

2. baud

I remember reading somewhere the gov here in France intended to use social media posts to track fraud to wealth reporting/social security/sick leave (since it's covered by the state if it last long enough). But I don't know if it has gone further than an idea.

3. Stoneshop
      Coat

No?

% avrdude -p m128 -c stk500 -e -U flash:w:myillgottenloot.hex

8. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Finally, a decent use-case for social media!

1. Self reporting of crimes by the stupid

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Finally, a decent use-case for social media!

I'd humbly suggest that politicians were there first for self reporting crimes by the stupid.

You might have me on the 'decent' part of the use-case argument though....

9. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

What an absolute muppet.

Nothing more to add.

10. headrush

"In addition to the criminal charges, prosecutors have filed to reclaim the Mercedes-Benz and $88,688 in forfeiture of funds"

Why would the prosecutors reclaim the car? Surely if it was financed it will get repossessed due to him not making the payments while unemployed / in prison. The down payment is less than enough to claim ownership.

1. jtaylor

If the car is repossessed, doesn't it get sold, the lender is paid off, and any remaining money is returned to the erstwhile owner?

1. Kubla Cant

But the proceeds of sale often don't cover the outstanding finance debt, especially during the first months of an agreement.

11. Cynic_999

But ... How did he get caught

Yes, I get that his social media posts made for damning evidence, but what caused the police to suspect him in the first place? Just because someone posts pictures of themselves with wads of cash and expensive goods does not mean that they should be suspected of criminal activity. Many people who legitimately have loadsadosh brag by posting such images - such as overpaid upcoming "rappers" and immature teenagers with indulgent rich parents.

Or do social media sites actively search for images showing people with cash and expensive bling, and forward them to police who investigate all such cases to see whether the money was obtained legitimately?

1. fidodogbreath

Re: But ... How did he get caught

what caused the police to suspect him in the first place?

Maybe they bought ads targeted at "extroverted large-scale embezzlers" and tracked the impressions.

12. fidodogbreath

Wells-Fargo, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?

My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends...

13. Robert Grant

Business idea

Social media platform dedicated to securely storing incriminating evidence. Criminals will love it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like