back to article And now for this evening's space weather report. We've got a hotspot of satellite-wrecking 'killer electrons' in the outer Van Allen belt...

Scientists have discovered a dangerous hotspot in Earth’s Van Allen radiation belts that spews so-called “killer electrons” that can knacker satellites and spacecraft. Our home world is surrounded by two donut-shaped Van Allen radiation belts teeming with electrically charged particles. The inner belt stretches from 400 to 6, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't worry kids, Admiral Nelson and the intrepid crew of the Seaview will sort out this pesky Van Allen Belt.

1. harmjschoonhoven

Don't worry kids

Do you have a problem?

- No. --> Do not worry.

- Yes.

Can you do something about it?

- - Yes. --> Do not worry.

- - No. --> Do not worry.

1. BebopWeBop

Re: Don't worry kids

I remember reading about the old aviators (they were at the time of the quote) mantra

If you crash, are you injured

No

don't worry about it

Yes

Is it serious?

No -> you'll recover don't worry about it

Yes

Survivable?

Yes -> That OK, stop worrying

No -> you don't need to concern yourself

The earliest version I have seen is 1st world war (so primitive medicine) - fits with the (mainly) men who flew at the time!

1. jake Silver badge

Goes right along with "Anything you walk away from is a landing".

1. Mark #255

"And if you can reuse the [craft], it's a great landing"

2. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Feature not a bug?

Could you not turn it back on it's self and use these to power the craft?!

Yeah, solar and magnetic methods (IIRC they do use tiny magnetic affinity to the earth's field for some rotation!) are much easier, but using cosmic rays has that cool sounding marketing buzz.

1. Stoneshop
      Boffin

Re: Feature not a bug?

I doubt it.

You would have to transfer the energy from these electrons to the craft, while at the same time keeping them away from any computer systems and sensors. Which would mean heavy shielding, plus a rather big sail that can sufficiently decelerate those particles a bit and 'collect' their energy that way.

Looks to me as adding lots of mass to a craft for probably not that much gain.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

I hope it was not you who downvoted? But it was a post partly in jest. But also partly serious:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_sail

(Note, that is NOT a "solar sail" that uses photon pressure, or a solar panel that uses photon to electric conversion)

2. Lusty

"I doubt it."

I fear you're lacking in ambition. Everything that has energy can be used as a power source, and these have enormous energy. What we currently lack is the ability to harness that energy. When I was growing up it was a "fact" that slowing an F1 car wasted energy and required brake blocks and heat. Now we have KERS in every day EVs being driven on the streets. NEVER underestimate how quickly humans can innovate, things will always move faster than you expect.

2. Oh Matron!

The Core: What such an appalling film (yet still watchworthy, if only for the pigeon "lemming" incident right at the start!

3. ColonelDare
    Alien

Explore at your peril

Van Allen belts. Human activity, ...., can also create artificial Van Allen belts that can last weeks or years around Earth too.

That's the works of Lord Asriel and his experimental theology, I'd dare say.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Explore at your peril

"That's the works of Lord Asriel and his experimental theology, I'd dare say"

Lord Asriel and his Prime Starfish

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Size matters

"The electrons and protons in the belts are tiny in size,"

So, are they a different size when not in the belt?

1. My-Handle

Re: Size matters

If you take mass to be a measure of size in this case, then actually yes. When you accelerate stuff to relativistic speeds, the energy you put in begins increasing the target object's mass more than it's speed. If these things are moving at near light speed, they will be more massive than at (near) rest.

Whether that affects the radius of the things is for more intelligent people than me to answer :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Size matters

"Whether that affects the radius of the things is for more intelligent people than me to answer "

From my logical - but not particularly knowledgeable - viewpoint:

If the mass increases then presumably so does the gravitational force exerted within it. In which case would it be expected to shrink by compression?

2. Paul Kinsler

Re: the energy you put in begins increasing the target object's mass more than it's speed.

Just to be clear, this is one of those heavily simplified statements that is very much only "sort of true". It might be better to say that you keep increasing the momentum of the object, but that at relativistic velocities you don't get to increase the velocity by a comparable amount: p=mv only holds at v<<c.

The full E=mc^2 formula is, where m is the rest-mass,

E^2 = m^2 c^4 + p^2 c^2

5. JJKing
    Pint

Reward for each Killer Electron caught and jailed. -------->

First job for the new US Space Force is to apprehend all those killer electrons. We really can't tolerate those violent electrons anywhere near our <sarcasm on>law abiding planet.</sarcasm off>

1. spold Silver badge

Re: Reward for each Killer Electron caught and jailed. -------->

..sorry I thought that the US Space Force was supposed to take care of the Mysterons

1. jake Silver badge

No, the Space Farce is to stop the illegal aliens from landing on the wrong side of the wall.

2. Chris G

'Killer electrons'

Maybe I'm just a miserable old sod but physicists using a phrase like that, are they so desperate for tabloid coverage?

Highly energetic would do.

On second thoughts, are there wanted posters with descriptions out for these Killer Electrons and how much is the reward?

1. Allan George Dyer
        Coat

Chris G - "are there wanted posters with descriptions out for these Killer Electrons and how much is the reward?"

You're too late, they've already been charged.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge
          Pint

That deserves beer!

I saw a press release El Reg may have been proud of a while back which described a particle as having "the energy of a baseball travelling at X" a while back, and that was only a few GeV. I've also seen electron microscope pics of CPUs with very small craters in them having stopped a wandering cosmic 'ray'.

I'm also curious as to what might be causing these 'killer electrons', and if earlier theories regarding the fate of the G'Gugvuntt and Vl'hurg battle fleets was wrong. Perhaps only the invasion fleet was destroyed, and the carriers are still trapped in the Van Allen belt, attempting to bombard the Earth with their particle beams.

2. molletts

Are you sure? When I enquired if they had been charged, the reply came back negative.

2. the Jim bloke
        Coat

Whatever happened to 'presumed innocent until proven guilty'?

Unless there is a victim and an action against them there is no case. The wronged party here, appears to be the maligned electrons, going about their business and being subjected to slander or libel.

Thought crime does not carry jail time, otherwise I would be having my meals and accommodation provided from every time I open excel in windows 10...

Any wrongdoing on the part of the particles, until such time as it actually occurs, exists only as potential.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Thought crime does not carry jail time, [...]"

Some laws in various "democratic" countries are getting close to that condition. Japan actually had a "thought Crime" law in the early 20thC . Apparently a new law in Japan in 2017 was also being criticised for that effect.

6. David Shaw

"Starfish Prime" did break a few things

valve/tube based car-radios in Hawaii for example

https://www.discovermagazine.com/the-sciences/the-50th-anniversary-of-starfish-prime-the-nuke-that-shook-the-world

and careful with that xmas wrapping paper & sticky tape, but that's around 15KeV not 2 MeV

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn15016-humble-sticky-tape-emits-powerful-x-rays/

7. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Coat

They're not that dangerous.

It's the Van Halen Belts you have to worry about!

When in Outta Space the electron speeds start to Jump, you get an Erruption of power chords and your satellite might get Spanked.

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Re: They're not that dangerous.

My air guitar dips in silent tribute...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Arase Probes

Would not the Arase Probes be better put to use studying Uranus?

9. OID

Born Free - Space Radicals ;-)

The impact of high energy particals (aka "Free Radicals" :) has been known for some time, and they're certainly not confined to Spaaaaaaaace.

Back in the day we had a statistically significant run of Cisco 7200 series routers crashing apparently at random.

After a month or several running around with TAC, where we isolated the problem to a memory error (as opposed to say a code bug, which of course wouldn't be a problem...).

TAC sent us an IBM white paper written (IIRC) before desktop computing was a "thing" talking about solar radiation causing flipped bits in RAM leading to crashes.

The proposition was we were experiencing a period of high solar activity and our network was being crashed by solar radiation (via _Terrorist_ High energy/Free Radicals) and the gear was functioning as designed.

Cue questions about why the rather expensive kit didn't use parity checks/ECC RAM to weather the storm without failure & responses about fault tolerant design requiring MORE expensive kit in n+1 fault tolerant configuration.

An object lesson in turning a design flaw into a sales pitch ;-)

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Born Free - Space Radicals ;-)

"our network was being crashed by solar radiation"

Time to break out the water shielding (aka wet blankets)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like