back to article Attention! Very important science: Tapping a can of fizzy beer does... absolutely nothing

Should you be faced with the horrors of a shaken can of beer and an urgent need to open it, science has solved the question of whether or not tapping the can helps reduce the fizz when it is opened. Researchers from the University of Southern Denmark carried out a randomised controlled trial of 1,000 cans of beer (PDF). The …

1. Ragarath
    Pint

So many flaws

First, the cans are NOT tapped with a finger.

Second, though as noted, not on the side.

You use the pull ring to tap the top of the can three times (I'm a rebel/lazy and sometimes only do it twice) pulling it until there is enough tension for it to spring back with speed. This creates the resonance to dislodge the bubbles. Using your finger does not create this.

Will test again tonight under duress.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: So many flaws

Tapping the top, side or flicking the ring (!) pull matters little. The impact just has to be sharp enough to dislodge the formed bubbles from the can wall.

1. Semtex451
        Pint

It's obvious.

Tapping the can at the top clears the bubbles from all of the inside of the can simultaneously. Tapping the can at one or more points in succession is inadequate as the bubbles reform.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The shockwave from a tap of given wavelength only collapses bubbles of a given size. Since bubbles vary in size, several taps with varying wavelengths are required to collapse a significant proportion of bubbles from the foam back into drinkable liquid, both reducing the quantity of foam liable to be ejected, and reducing the pressure which causes said ejection. Three taps are insufficient, and the assumption in the study that one tap is as good as another is false.

1. EveryTime

I think that we all agree that the researchers need to go back and re-run their experiments.

1. W.S.Gosset

and call for volunteers to assist them

2. jake Silver badge

And of course the zeroth: Real beer drinkers don't agitate their beer unnecessarily.

1. Joe W Silver badge

Well, it was Carlsberg...

1. Stork Silver badge

In defence of Carlsberg, the stuff you get in the UK is a watered down version of the original. ABV is about 4.5% in DK, AFAIR less than 4 in the UK.

The original is a somewhat unremarkable but perfectly drinkable pilsner type beer.

2. j.bourne
        Pint

Real Beer drinkers don't buy beer in cans? Only bottles (cask conditioned of course) or out of a barrel either by (gravity) tap or handpump - No Kegs or Cans here!

1. Baldrickk

What is a keg if not a small barrel?

But I agree - if it comes out of of a hand pump behind a bar, it's usually superior to it's brethren that come from a tap.

1. RockBurner

"What is a keg if not a small barrel?"

In my experience - the smaller 'kegs' sold contained within a carboard box are generally plastic* bags akin to the bags in 'wine-box' offerings, albeit without the metallic coating.

* not sure of exact polymer.

1. ridley

Barrels generaly have "live" beer in them, kegs are carbonated from gas cylinders and the beer is for all intents and purposes pasteurised.

2. Baldrickk

:) I wouldn't call that a keg. I'd call that a box.

2. Amentheist
            Trollface

If it's a hand pump isn't it ale?

3. ibmalone

What is a can if not a tiny keg?

2. phuzz Silver badge
          Windows

Real Beer drinkers must have more money than me then :(

I'll buy bottled beer, but I usually switch to cheap canned stuff after a few bottles, because by that point I won't notice the difference.

3. John 104

Can is OK to buy in, as long as you pour it into a glass. NEVER drink from a can. Unless it's Carlsburg. At least they didn't waste good beer....

4. werdsmith Silver badge

Only bottles (cask conditioned of course)

Cask conditioned in bottles? Do you mean bottle conditioned, a pinch of yeast in the bottle so you can’t drink all of it?

Like Shepherd Neame 1698.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Outski
            Pint

Don't mention Shepherd Neame in a conversation about good beer. Not only is theirs mostly rubbish, they took out a protected designation of Kentish ale as requiring water from an artesian well, such as they have within their Faversham brewery. And which no other east Kent brewery has, meaning that a brewery in say, Ramsgate, or Cantebury, can't describe their beer as Kentish.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/271161/pfn-kentish-ale.pdf

(Re-posted with a " 't" included)

3. ridley

Or drink out of cans.

3. BebopWeBop
      Pint

I am afraid my (ahem) extensive testing over the years has confirmed what these researchers have demonstrated, although, with one caveat, it seems to get better, or at least less noticeable the more beer I drink.

1. EVP

” I am afraid my (ahem) extensive testing over the years has confirmed what these”

No no no, absolutely NO! Nothing is confirmed yet and more testing is definitely needed. Lots of testing, every weekend, and occasionally on weekdays too, has to be done before anything can be said.

We need to test bottles and jugs too. Your never know, unless you test it, if beer (that sneaky bastard) decided to act like it was in a can, even when it’s not. All types of beer need to be tested too, and don’t forget make your sample size large enough to get statistically meaningful data.

Don’t we agree on this, huh?

1. W.S.Gosset

for SCIENCE!!

2. hmv

And, I hasten to add, all of this testing has to be done with cider too. Just in case!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

IIRC a "fizzy bottle" of pop does not fizz bubbles on the inside until you open it, shaking or not.

However, what tapping/leaving to rest does, is remove some of the shoshed in bubbles that would work as catalyst areas for new formations.

1. W.S.Gosset
        Headmaster

Schroedinger's Beer

> IIRC a "fizzy bottle" of pop does not fizz bubbles on the inside until you open it, shaking or not.

Beer is quantum in nature. It's not actually there or not there at all until you open it. Or rather it is both. Until you open it and collapse the probability wave (with or without tapping).

Proof of beer's probabilistic nature:

If you open a beer, you may find that you have some, yet if you check it and check it and check it again, sooner or later you will discover that the bottle-or-can is empty!

In the olden days this was regarded as witchcraft. But we are modern and know better now. It's quantum!

1. Kane
          Joke

Re: Schroedinger's Beer

"But we are modern and know better now. It's quantum!"

Great, another bloody quantum!

2. W.S.Gosset

> IIRC a "fizzy bottle" of pop does not fizz bubbles on the inside until you open it, shaking or not.

Do not be afraid, my son.

3. Beau
        Stop

Their first mistake was in calling Carlsberg. a beer! Sorry but I live in Belgium.

5. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Main flaw I noticed is the experiment introduced too many variables. Cans should have been shaken by a carefully* designed mechanism, then precisely* tapped by a mechanical finger to produce consistent* results.

Which of course would require inviting the engineering department to participate. Which has the added advantage of ensuring the liquids used in the experiment are safely disposed of.

*Ish. Fair play to Carlsberg for their participation. Also note that the optimal way to deliver 1,000 cans of beer is in 42 slabs of 24. Thus proving that beer is the answer to life, the universe and science..

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. EVP
        Pint

“Cans should have been shaken by a carefully* designed mechanism, then precisely* tapped by a mechanical finger to produce consistent* results.“

That was my thought too. Not very scientific.

“ Which of course would require inviting the engineering department to participate.”

Then again, maybe they were thoughtful enough to shake the cans _really_ carefully in order to avoid excess spillage and make the engineers even happier?

“Also note that the optimal way to deliver 1,000 cans of beer is in 42 slabs of 24. Thus proving that beer is the answer to life, the universe and science..”

Wow, that’s deep! I always knew that breweries hold keys to the secret information on life, universe and stuff, but couldn’t ever quite grasp why. That is indeed the reason why beer cans come in slabs of 24, thanks!

If you look carefully, you note that 24 becomes 42 if you reverse the most and least meaningful digits. That information has to contain some secret knowledge too. Being a pastafari is so yesterday. I’m gonna convert into a beerafari.

Cheers everybody, it’s Friday again!

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

If you look carefully, you note that 24 becomes 42 if you reverse the most and least meaningful digits. That information has to contain some secret knowledge too.

It's a big-endian vs little-endian thing. This confuses arts students* when confronted with bottled beers. Engineers & cans are little challenge, because engineers are, after all, tool users.

*possibly why so many end up in politics. Then again one of those feckers sold a banana for over $100k. I duct taped a can of WD40, titled it 'Life Imitates Art' and just got thrown out of the gallery.

3. Allan George Dyer
        Pint

@Jellied Eel - "1,000 cans of beer is in 42 slabs of 24"

<whisper>If you split the 8 with me, I won't tell the others.</whisper>

4. keith_w

I noticed that they failed to sufficiently randomize the test by using only Carlsberg. Had they used other beers or ales perhaps a different result may have occurred

2. My-Handle

I raise you...

I raise your research from a questionable source like an actual doctor doing real research with a video from some guy on youtube.

https://youtu.be/K-Fc08X56R0 (Derek Muller of Veritasium)

His video was specific to fizzy drinks though, not beer. I leave it to my fellow commentards to discuss how relevant this might be :)

1. Rich 11

Re: I raise you...

I think we can safely consider carbonated coloured sugar syrup to be more viscous than the nectar of the gods, and hence not relevant to the problem at hand. More research is required!

1. BebopWeBop

Re: I raise you...

But not on fizzy sweet drinks!

3. Wilco

Shaken

"Cans selected for abuse were shaken for two minutes"

There's your problem. Nothing on earth is going to help if you shake a can for 2 minutes. Tapping may help if you've dropped it, or it's been briefly agitated.

I would have said that this experiment was a waste of good beer, except that they used lager, (and Carlsberg at that), so this experiment actually slightly increased the global average beer goodness.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Shaken

Yes, but good beer out of a can is an oxymoron, isn't it?

1. drand
        Pint

No. A can is as close as you can get to a mini cask and is better than anything else for keeping one serving of beer in optimum condition. Just because crap lager comes in cans doesn't mean everything in a can is rubbish. There are many fine ales and craft beers available in cans at your local proper drinking establishment that provide quality and choice when a whole cask isn't economically or logistically viable.

1. Baldrickk

I still prefer bottled...

but that might be bias due to the fact that around here, all those fine ales and craft beers tend to be inside glass, or that being more solid, a bottle feels less cheap, or the fun of popping off a cap.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Depends on the beer. Glass is definitely less reactive, essentially inert, but I agree that it hardly matters really. Apparently, some of us are more sensitive to the slightly metallic taste especially when drinking straight out of the tin.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Joke

Yeah, I can taste the tin. So at least with a bottle, the glass tastes better.

Though I that really says something about the beers, if I CANNOT EVEN TASTE THE BEER!

2. EVP

This is an interesting topic. I argued with my whisky-loving friends that if glass bottle can alter taste of whisky. After a lengthy search on the topic, I finally found a study which confirmed that whisky reacts with glass in a way which can be measured and can potentially alter the taste. It takes 20-30 years to have any significant effect, though, so letting Famous Grouse to rest one more year won’t make any significant change in its taste :)

What is even more interesting is that if you immerse a gold ring in distilled water (controlled one) for 20 minutes, a measurable amount of gold dissolves into the water. The researchers’ goal was to demonstrate that significant, albeit small amounts, of precious metals dissolve into sewage water and it makes economically sense to extract those traces of metal from sewage. After reading about the study, I won’t ever again dismiss anyone claiming that she/he tastes metal in a food or beverage.

3. tuppence

nope, Newcastle Brown tastes totally different when slumming it with a can instead of a bottle......the bottled variety being far superior....

1. jake Silver badge

From my "Beer Tasting Notes":

#138, June 17, 1994: Here in the States, The Broon tastes like vomit before you drink it, not after.

2. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Happy

"There's your problem. Nothing on earth is going to help if you shake a can for 2 minutes."

True. But it makes an excellent prank. I hope they used a paint shaker as well!

4. HumptyDumpty

This theory always puzzles me

When you look at a full bottle of sparkling water, bubbles don't form on the inside if you shake it. Therefore, there's nothing to tap.

Would beer be different for some reason?

Re: This theory always puzzles me

The bubbles don't appear because they are microscopic while under pressure and most of the gas is held dissolved in the liquid, on opening these bubbles expand rapidly as the pressure drops.

Divers suffer from the bends for the same reason when nitrogen bubbles form in the blood when they decompress too fast.

1. Adrian Harvey

Divers get the bends because the solubility of a gas increases with pressure (actually partial pressure - that is the pressure of that gas alone). More gas dissolves in the blood stream under he higher pressure at depth, and then tries to suddenly form bubbles as the pressure is released when the diver surfaces,

Very similar to soft drinks, but if is the gas is dissolved there aren’t bubbles, microscopic or otherwise. It is only when the ceases to be dissolved that bubbles form.

Incedentally was the beer warm or cool for the test? The liquid temperature has a significant effect on CO2 solubility that’s why there”s no carbonated tea. (Well, not hot tea)

1. DwarfPants
          Alert

I am inclined to down vote but have't due to it only being an illustration of gas solubility in water, but Carbonated Tea! all my ancestors are simultaneously turning in their graves.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Tea in a soda stream, hmmm, this has to be tired. And black coffee too.

2. ibmalone

You still need nucleation sites. For gas to spontaneously form bubbles within the bulk liquid is actually very difficult due to energy constraints, this is why when you open a bottle of sparkling water you typically get a pop, but it doesn't usually (if it's been standing for a while) transform immediately to foam. Typically bubbles actually grow from microscopic nucleation sites, which might be microscopic bubbles in the bulk, surface irregularities of the container, turbulence and suspended particles.

2. Roger Kynaston
        Coat

So could we help stop divers from getting bent by tapping them on the head as they ascend from the depths?

Mine is the one with a regulator in the pocket.

1. the Jim bloke
          Thumb Down

Studies someplace or other have shown that bubbles will rise through blood, even against normal circulatory flow, so to avoid gas bubbles ending up in the head - which is bad - the simplest solution (or whatever the term is for things coming out of solution) is to ascend from your dive feet first, and stay that way through the decompression period.

Challenging, but wont somebody think of the children, or whatever..

icon - actually a thumbs up, inverted

3. W.S.Gosset

Re: Bends

> Divers suffer from the bends for the same reason when nitrogen bubbles form in the blood when they decompress too fast.

Good point! You have hit upon a cure for this syndrome!

Scuba divers need no longer hang around for long tedious hours at various unter-altitudes reading soggy newspapers or poking uselessly at short-circuited phones.

Now, via the innovative WellyGoss™ Technique, they merely burst out the surface at full speed, are rapped smartly over the head with a hammer 3 times, let out one almighty belch, and climb safely onto the boat. Huzzah!

EDIT: ah poo -- just belatedly saw Roger beat me to it. Perhaps the WellyKynastoGoss Technique? Or better, WellyKyn -- makes for a great advertising slogan: "make the welkin ring with the wellykyn ding!"

2. jmch Silver badge

Agreed. The way I deal with shaken soft-drink bottles / beer cans is to open them the tiniest of cracks that allows only gas to escape. Heavily shaken bottles / cans will still force some liquid through the tiniest gap, but volume loss is minimal (you got to mind the range of spurts though!!)

1. Gomez Adams

Having opened the can the tiniest amount the be prepared to wrap your lips round it while you open it a little more and use your mouth as a natural expansion chamber. :)

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I think that physics has shown that bubbles have to form on the imperfections of a surface, such as the side or base of the vessel, but also sediment otherwise you have a supersaturated solution. The formation of bubbles gives them lots of energy to move around in the liquid as they expand.

5. Chris G

Fizzy can

My personal feeling is real beers come out of barrels and for convenience, bottles but most of the beverages that come out of a can are not beer.

6. chivo243 Silver badge
    Coat

Minus a negitive?

-0.159 grams of beer lost isn't that a positive?

Coat

Re: Minus a negitive?

Any loss of lager is a net positive for beer drinkers.

2. FrogsAndChips Silver badge

Re: Minus a negitive?

That meant that the loss of beer was smaller (by 0.159 grams, or 37.86 microJubs) when the can was tapped vs. untapped. So you can indeed see this as a positive.

7. jake Silver badge

Who in their right minds ...

... would buy 1,000 cans of beer? Or bottles, for that matter. Shirley it's far more cost effective to get kegs.

And then I realized the answer: People who think Carlsberg is beer.

Re: Who in their right minds ...

TBF they're Danes - a little short of real beer options.

1. Stork Silver badge

If you mean pub-style, ales, you may have a point, otherwise not really.

in 2016 there were 187 breweries with more than 1400 types of beer. The last 30 years there has been an explosion of micro-breweries, most of which of course produce very little.

I think there these days are more variety of quality beers in Denmark than in Germany

2. BigSLitleP

RTFA

You can't test a can of beer unless you buy a can of beer. Buying a keg doesn't really help....

8. gcla72
    Facepalm

Schrodinger's Beer

"to avoid liquid loss is to wait for bubbles to settle before opening the can"

9. This post has been deleted by its author

1. BigSLitleP

Re: Science ? Really ?

Nope, it's not asking questions that held us back. It may not be the most important question in the world, but it's still a question and it's still an advancement of knowledge.

And if you want to get snotty about it, it's actually a good test of flow dynamics in a sealed vacuum.

10. johnfbw
    Trollface

Read article, picked up can, tapped 3 times on top, opened, drank

If scientists prove the world is flat, I don't want to be part of their studies!

11. alain williams Silver badge

How rapidly were the cans opened ?

This seems to me to be the most important factor, one that they did not investigate.

Pull the ring quickly, rapid loss of internal pressure and the beer will fizz out.

Pull slowly opening it a crack, wait for the internal pressure to reduce and then complete the opening and little beer will be wasted.

I thought that most kids learned this with bottles of pop.

1. VonDutch

Re: How rapidly were the cans opened ?

Open it a crack then lock face around it sucking hurriedly with that pained look on your face in fear of losing a precious drop of party juice.

1. TRT Silver badge

Stab the side with a biro and open the throat.

1. Stork Silver badge

or do as a friend of mine, bite a hole in it. He got a surprised look in his face...

12. Paul Martin

Ah but can they prove the beer is flat?

13. Mystereed

The real rule is...

...to give the one you dropped to your mate and get yourself another one?

1. Charles 9

Re: The real rule is...

Even if it's the LAST one?

14. Roger Kynaston
    Pint

Top class Danish boffinry

Given last nights result I think we should emigrate to Denmark. I trust that there are other beers than Carlsberg there?

Obvious icon and we have the office party today as well.

1. Danny 2

Re: Top class Danish boffinry

There was free beer in Edinburgh last night. All you had to do was show a selfie outside a polling station.

Given the result there should be free whisky at Scottish polling stations, and nought outside English polling stations.

2. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Top class Danish boffinry

Tuborg. It has some good varieties too.

15. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    Boffin

Absolute bollocks! The proper way:

Everyone know you tap the bottom of the can, but with a finger nail. If your fingernails are too short, use a coin/keys etc.

4 or 5 taps should do. Works on pop. (soda)

1. Charles 9

Re: Absolute bollocks! The proper way:

And why is that any different from say lightly tapping the can itself against the bar/table?

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: Absolute bollocks! The proper way:

It isn't, as long as it's the bottom of the can! :-)

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Best "can abuse" I ever saw...

An old-style commuter train loaded with passengers was sitting at the platform. Hot day, no aircon, so the sliding windows at the top were open.

Outside, a group of kids was kicking about an extra large can of beer (Fosters, I think, but it was many, many years ago).

Just as the train starts to move off, one of the kids picks up the can, cracks it open and puts it through a window.

The effect inside was as if a grenade had been thrown in.

To be fair, I did feel sorry for those inside, even though they were yuppies.

1. Amentheist

Re: Best "can abuse" I ever saw...

Re: throwing an open container; Aren't bars obliged to open canisters for you precisely because an open can makes a poor projectile (I imagine it's not as 'solid' since the liquid can now slosh about and spew out cancelling out the kinetic(?) energy you applied to it while hurtling towards your opponent)

1. Cuddles

No, that's just because of licensing laws. In general on-licence and off-licence are exclusive - either you can sell alcohol for consumption on premises or off premises, but not both. Exceptions could be made so some pubs might be allowed to sell sealed drinks, but for the most part somewhere with an on-licence would always open the drinks to make sure they had to be drunk on site and not taken away for later. They were never actually required to do so, it just made it a lot easier to show compliance. Licensing laws changed around a decade ago, so there's a lot more variation and individualised license, but places with only an on-licence will still often do this.

1. Charles 9

Opening the container usually makes it illegal to be taken outside because outside of most establishments is the street: public property, meaning a Drunk In Public charge looms, which also hits the establishment for mismanagement of its patrons.

2. Charles 9

"Licensing laws changed around a decade ago, so there's a lot more variation and individualised license, but places with only an on-licence will still often do this."

I may be wrong, but I think the deciding factor on whether or not a site can hold both types of license is whether or not the establishment brewed or distilled its own products on-site; craft products usually see limited exposure in mainstream stores so they needed to be able to sell take-home craft directly to the consumer.

2. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Bars are also obliged to open the bottle/can if they do not have an "off license" (license to sell alcohol for consumption off the premises as opposed to an on license).

[edit: looks like I was beaten to this info and didn't notice!]

17. killakrust

It must be just me

I always thought the tapping thing was just a joke. I do the same thing with shaken up cans of fizzy, but squeeze the bujezzus out of the can at the same time. The squeezing (not while opening of course) seems to stop the foaming.

1. Mark 85

Re: It must be just me

The squeezing works but it's probably the release of the squeeze that allows the carbonation to be re-dissolved. More testing is required.

18. Cynic_999

Scientific error

If, after each test, the scientists disposed of the contents of each open can in the least wasteful manner, I suspect that the test results became progressively more inaccurate as the testing progressed.

When a student, I played a variation on the game of chess. Each chess piece was substituted by a miniature bottle of spirits. When you took an opponent's piece, you had to drink it. This had the effect of equalising the players' ability as the game progressed. By the end of the game neither of the players knew who had won and who had lost. Nor did they care.

1. stiine Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Scientific error

I was thinking along the same lines. If they did all of their measuring in clean, dry graduated cylinders, then there should have been, in effect, a 1000-beer party while they were taking their measurements.

1. Charlie van Becelaere
        Boffin

Re: Scientific error

Ah, but the clever boffins actually weighed the cans to determine the loss of "beer" rather than measuring the volume. [One assumes they assiduously wiped/dried the outside of each can before weighing, as some (most?) of the lost liquid might well have clung to the can.]

One also wonders how damp the lab coats of said boffins were by the end of this procedure.

19. Paul Johnston
    Pint

Sounds like a new chapter for

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9780471624820/Clouds-Glass-Beer-Simple-Experiments-0471624829/plp

20. spold Silver badge

Missing the market... so a waste of beer

Just sell it to your local owners of barometric chambers, if you are sitting around in one of those you could probably use a beer.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll be very upset if any beer was harmed during these tests.

22. Stevie

Bah!

For a proper treatment of how to deal with shaken cans of fizz, read Penn and Teller's excellent "How To Play With Your Food".

You are looking for the trick "The God of Carbonation".

No so-called "scientists" need apply, as a full explanation of How The Trick Is Done is given.

23. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Didn't somebody once describe Carlsberg as a Research Institute with an attached brewery?

24. Steve K
    Pint

The researchers "reserved a few of the opened cans from the exercise for our own consumption at the end of data collection"

What they meant to say was :" We considered it vital to determine whether the quality of the contents were adversely affected by the experiment. We ensured a large enough sample size for this exercise following data collection . Bøøørp!"

25. Dr_N

Tapping a can...

... is to determine whether it's been shaken.

Where did the idea come from that it could stop it frothing ?!?

26. SuperGeek

"Researchers"?

Some people have too much spare time.....

1. Herby

Re: "Researchers"?

I wish I could "waste" my time doing excellent research like this. Sounds like something Mythbusters would do in a heartbeat.

Where do I sign up!

So many variables, so little beer!

27. Bloodbeastterror

The Beer Hunter

Six people, six cans of beer. One person goes out of room, frantically shakes one can. Each person chooses a can. Holds it to ear. Pulls the ring-pull. Hilarity ensues.

28. Muscleguy
    Thumb Up

Previously

As a Muscle Biologist I was aware of a group in Hawai’i who worked on the jaw closing muscle of the lobster. Just the jaw closing muscle you understand*. Leaving the meat, I mean muscle in the claws and tail available as comestibles. Nice work if you can get it.

Closest we came during my PhD was when the Chinese postgrad looking at deer velvet brought some in, sliced, for the lab postdoc when he learned he had been married for 5 years without any children. Apparently one stir fries it and it’s regarded as an aphrodisiac and general sexual tonic. Since as a mere PhD student and married with two offspring I didn’t rate any of it.

If anyone were wondering BTW there’s enough meat on a rat to make it worth eating but not on a mouse. I have never indulged, but you never know when the needs must.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Previously

If anyone were wondering BTW there’s enough meat on a rat to make it worth eating but not on a mouse.

My cat disagrees.

So do many owls.

1. Stork Silver badge

Re: Previously

our cat is not fussy enough just to eat the meat of the mouse - the whole critter goes down. Rats just have the head chewed off.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Probably the best science in the world ?

30. david1024

Not the bubbles

The idea behind the tappings is to remove as much liquid as possible from around the soon-to-be opening so it doesn't spray. The bubbles take longer to reach the opening and would gush liquid rather than spray. I wish they'd have done more thought exercise before doing this.... Or was the intent to do as many studies as possible?!? Which is not a bad idea...

31. Oh Homer
    Windows

"boffins procured 1,000 330ml cans of Carlsberg"

And never invited me?

Bastards!

32. kernelpickle

I've known about this for awhile...

I follow an interesting YouTube channel that's an offshoot of an equally interesting website called Today I Found Out, and they did some research into this awhile back that came to the same sad conclusion.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2017/11/tapping-soda-can-actually-anything/

33. MOH

Tapping a can seems like a lot off effort. Surely it's much more efficient to tap a keg?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon