back to article Huawei 5G kit in Faroe Islands: Chinese ambassador 'linked Huawei contract to ... trade deal' – report

China's ambassador to Denmark has reportedly threatened to kill off a proposed free trade deal unless the semiautonomous Faroe Islands sign a deal with Huawei for 5G mobile network equipment. The explosive revelations were made by Berlingske, a Danish daily newspaper based in Copenhagen. The allegations are based on an audio …

1. Reg Reader 1

haha, love it

2. iron Silver badge

It is hardly a smoking gun though is it?

UK ministers are known to have bribed helped persuade Middle-Eastern governments to buy from BAE. Does that make BAE an arm of the UK government and therefore a security risk to other countries?

I'm quite sure Donnie Orange and his predecessors have all done similar to promote US companies.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or does it make the UK government an arm of BAE?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

While every country promote its own industries, tying any treaty to a commercial deal can put people in troubles in Western countries - i.e. asking Ukraine to investigate on your electoral competition.

Of course you can get a medal and something more in countries like China...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re. It is hardly a smoking gun though is it?

the smoke from THAT gun was snuffed by the UK's government when it stopped the inquiry into BAE-related bribes because "it's not in the public interest". No, really.

But hey, all those past wars and past bribes are water under the bridge, LOOKIE HERE NOW, these BAD! CORRUPT! Chinese! Awful, truly awful!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's quite clear there will be an ongoing battle on who will control 5G and other networks

They gonna have a strategic relevance - both China and US will want to have a foot inside, while keeping the other away.

Europe should act on its way and promote its own kits.

1. Bonzo_red

Re: It's quite clear there will be an ongoing battle on who will control 5G and other networks

Will the EU ban telecommunications with the Faroe Islands until they remove all Huawei equipment, similar to the mackerel ban of 2013?

1. jaywin

Re: It's quite clear there will be an ongoing battle on who will control 5G and other networks

Didn't know you could use makerel to communicate?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Isn't the babel fish a variety of mackerel?

2. veti Silver badge

That would be the white-tailed or "carrier" mackerel.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a confidential conversation with the minister, which was randomly recorded by the TV station

Oh dear, what a completely and most certainly totally accidental thing to have happened! :-)

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Actually, it's a situation in the same vein as an episode of Yes Minister, except that in that episode they managed to have the interview suppressed.

So I consider myself vindicated when I said that Yes Minister was a documentary.

2. Nifty Silver badge

Re: a confidential conversation with the minister, which was randomly recorded by the TV station

Which I somehow read as

"Oh dear, what a completely and most certainly totally occidental thing to have happened!"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

my Danish colleagues and friends

sounds almost as genuine, as Boris Johnson, repeatedly calling his (ex) colleagues in Europe, "my dear European friends".

1. Claverhouse Silver badge

Re: my Danish colleagues and friends

Sort of... But I really think Billy Bunter is so delusional he is sincere calling someone his dear good friend whilst simultaneously slandering them and doing them down,

Same with all his domestic political life --- he sees how colleagues might misinterpret his knocking them over and stealing their wallet, then blaming them, but it's all jolly hi-jinks, isn't it ? Why do people take things so seriously ?

Some form of dissonance.

6. Anomalous Cowturd
    Holmes

Do unto others...

...before they do unto you.

Here endeth the first lesson of diplomacy.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

China insisting on Huawei 5G purchase to help with salmon trade?

I do supposed a 5G network help Faroes salmon with their schooling?.

(Thank you! I'm here all week!!)

8. Aussie Doc
    Coat

So.

Something was a little fishy?

Mike is in my pocket --->

9. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Can anyone explain ...

... why Denmark, that is a full member of the EU, is making trade deals with the Chinese?

According to the information during all of the Brexshit stuff, one thing we were not allowed to do as part of the EU is make unilateral trade agreements ...

I am somewhat confused.

1. John McCallum
      Happy

Re: Can anyone explain ...

RTFA The Faroes are an autonomous region so they can make their own trade deals I assume.

2. MacroRodent

Not a trade deal officially, it just mysteriously becomes easier for the Faroese to find Chinese customers for their salmon ...

3. jonfr

Faroe Islands are not part of the EU. As they are independent nation in the Kingdom of Denmark they have some chose in the deals they make with other countries.

10. TrumpSlurp the Troll
    Facepalm

Back scratching

You buy some product from our nation, we buy some from yours, pretty soon we will have a trade deal.

Amazing that the Faroes are the only nation which has discovered this.

All the others do trade deals where they get nothing in return.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like