back to article Scientists use machine-learning algorithms to map out 10 billion cells from human bodies in fight against cancer

AI algorithms are helping scientists map ten billion cells from the human body in an attempt to unlock the mysteries of how life emerges from the embryo, or how diseases like cancer manifest. Dana Pe’er, the current chair and professor in computational and systems biology at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All machine learning is glorified statistical analysis

The statistics are simply stored as weights in the neuron connections which is why its often so hard to understand how they make their decisions. It would be the same as looking at some fairly simple standard code but a few megabytes of heirarchical control data and trying to figure out how it makes a decision.

1. Paul Kinsler

Re: All machine learning is glorified statistical analysis

If by "glorified" statistical analysis you mean "nonlinear, cascaded, iterated, and optimized" statistical analysis then you may perhaps not be entirely wrong:

https://www.video.uni-erlangen.de/course/id/778

1. Tom 7

I'd put good money on the brain being the same, More layered and preprogrammed by evolution since the Ediacaran but nothing more.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thanks, your partial agreement means a lot to me, no really. And thumbs up for the link to a list of courses, clearly you're a great intellect who has done all of them.

1. Paul Kinsler

Re: Thanks, your ...

Well, I've listened to all those lectures, done some of the problems, and tried a few little projects. I found the process quite instructive, and while not any sort of expert, didn't think "glorified statistical analysis" really does the techniques justice. But you are, of course, welcome to disagree; clearly you're a great intellect who knows more about it.

1. DBH

I adore how subtle and polite the insults are here. I feel Godwin's law would require the number of messages in this thread to converge on infinity to remain valid

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Well, I've listened to all those lectures, done some of the problems, and tried a few little projects."

Gosh. Well I bow down before your magnificent wisdom then. I also have done lectures and written some code and IMO statistics sums up ANNs quite nicely.

"clearly you're a great intellect who knows more about it."

Well if the shoe fits.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

In any case, this is a Good Thing (TM)

I'm glad to hear that statistical analysis machines are being put to uses other than comparing my face to a terrorist database.

And who knows, this might help with the fight against cancer, or even more stuff.

Go science !

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like