back to article Apple tipped to go full wireless by 2021, and you're all still grumbling about a headphone jack

Ming-Chi Kuo, the analyst widely regarded as the most accurate soothsayer when it comes to Apple's product intentions, reckons it's lights out for the Lightning cable. According to his report published late last week, Cupertino will ditch it on some models in 2021 for a totally wireless experience. Such a move would allow …

1. katrinab Silver badge
    Flame

Don't see it happening

How can they sell lots of adapters if there are zero sockets to insert them into? A switch from lighting to USB C or some other connector would allow them to sell lots of new adapters.

1. Shadow Systems

Re: Don't see it happening

Especially external battery packs for emergency charging.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: external battery packs for emergency charging.

well, I'm pretty sure apple would be happy to peddle a wireless recharging pack-cradle-thingy for a cool 299, etc.

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Flame

My goose is cooked

So, I'm going to be slowly cooked by a plethora of inductive charging in public places.

1. JohnFen

Re: My goose is cooked

Those won't cook you. What they will do, however, is waste a ton of electricity. Inductive chargers are terribly inefficient.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

This is what I have often wondered. Which costs more to charge up - a phone on a cable attached to a plug. Or a phone on a wireless charging pad?

We have one side of society telling us to save on power use. Save on resources. Go Green. And then we have idiots in the phone companies making everything use more power and resources.

A phone with headphones attached, attached to a wall charger surely is more environmental that these mental ideas of wireless everything.

1. JohnFen

"Which costs more to charge up - a phone on a cable attached to a plug. Or a phone on a wireless charging pad?"

A phone on a wireless charging pad costs more. How efficient inductive charging (or wall warts, for that matter) is can vary depending on the design decisions made, but if we compare the theoretical best case for both a wall wart charger and inductive charging, inductive charging consumes about 15% more electricity for the same amount of battery charge. That's the theoretical best case. In practice, the difference is larger.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

15% is a rather large chunk of waste. Everyday. Alongside charging up the headphones.

Ah... progress.

Suddenly a company will come in to the market and go Green and win a huge chunk of sales with a phone where features can be really fully be disabled. The average phone ticking away all that juice on GPS, Bluetooth, NFC, WiFi, Faceache updates, Twattering, always on everything, all the daft apps with their phone home extras.

I'm thinking those average phones - not El'Reg phones as we know how to kill this stuff on our devices.

I often wonder about them kids running around in the Extinction Rebellion marches. How many resources they are just chugging away as they walk around compared with the day of the old Nokia 3310.

1. EveryTime

A wall wart type power supply can well over 90% efficient, with a few at 96%. Older ones tend to be in the 70% range with substantial idle power.

On a abstract philosophical level I'm opposed to government intervention in the marketplace beyond basic regulations, but here is where reality runs into dogmatism. A big chunk of credit goes to Energy Star (and the similar requirements from other governments). Those regulations made a huge difference in the world. Few retail customers buy on the basis of power supply efficiency or idle power, or even think about it. But, thanks to those regulations, we are in a virtuous cycle of increasing power density and a need for increasingly efficient power supply designs to support that density.

My favorite easy-to-explain design improvement is that power supplies used to have a discharge resistor to quickly drain the high voltage from internal capacitors when the power was switched off. This resistor constantly wasted power, but only provided the safety benefit for a few seconds each time the device was powered off. Efficiency regulations motivated the development of a chip (really a chip feature) that only discharges the capacitor when the pulses of the AC line are missing for a few seconds. This chip costs much more than the simple resistor, but saves far more than that in electricity over its lifetime.

Bringing it back on topic, we put all of that effort into efficient power supplies but wireless charging is typically only 50-70% efficient. It's going to be overwhelmingly the largest waste of power in running small electronics.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

They're not that inefficient when done correctly. Not that they'll win awards for efficiency. If you want inefficiency: lots of individual transformers stepping down from 240V AC to 5V DC.

Once people have got used to wireless charging I can see them accepting this kind of change from Apple, presumably because it makes the phones 0.5g lighter or means 2% more space for the batter. No doubt the phones will come with a case-based adapter for being outside hipsterville. The important thing is that Apple failed in its attempt to impose an Apple™ form of wireless charging.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The accept what they are told - because "Apple".

Brilliant marketing. You have to give them that.

2. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker
          Boffin

"If you want inefficiency: lots of individual transformers stepping down from 240V AC to 5V DC."

I have an idea, and it may be finally time to push it forward... (Sorry, Blighters, I'm assuming US wiring/architecture.)

1. Whole-house 5Vdc supply, centrally located next to the main AC breaker panel. Dedicated breaker for this unit, and onboard smart protection for the output.

2. All new wiring must be 3-wire (plus ground) instead of 2-wire. Run the 5V on the red wire (black & white remain AC hot/neutral). Hopefully the relatively large size of 12/14/16 compared to a 20/22/smaller USB charging cable will offset the lengths and reduce voltage droop.

3. Upgrade outlets to receive 5Vdc on a new terminal, with built-in USB ports but without the usual electronics. Maybe add a micro-switch (slightly larger than DIP) in the outlet surface to disable.

I would consider a return line (e.g. smaller, signal gauge like doorbell wire) from the farthest outlet as a feedback loop, so it can raise up the 5V bus as needed, but this makes it sensitive ONLY to loads on that outlet and nowhere else. Feedback from multiple outlets would be too costly, and open-loop control (e.g. raise voltage based solely on total amp load) might not be good for the loads.

I do believe building codes currently do not allow mixed AC/DC wiring within a single jacketed cable and would have to change, but I Am Not A Contractor/Home Inspector/Code Expert.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Hmm, seems completely pointless and the risk of a mis-wire that would insert the DC onto the AC lines would be risky (let alone AC onto the DC line).

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I have 15 identical transformers buzzing away in my living room alone. I've looked for a power supply that would cover all of them (external hard drives), but no luck...

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

So you have 15 external hard drives in your living room - now I don't care what bizarre reason you have this, but would you consider your use case to be nor enough that electrical standards for everyone should be changed to have a 5v DC mains wiring system in every house (with all the issues and potential for safety problems that would present)?

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

I realise the parent post was talking about a 5v distribution, but I wasn't. I was just more generally saying that I have a lot of things that require 5v that would benefit from having a general transformer for the lot of them... Indeed, I specifically said as much.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Lots of things wrong with centralized 5V distribution. Let's do a few:

* line loss. 30 yards or so of 14AWG (yards 'cuz it's 'Merican Wire Gauge, dammit!) will drop 0.5V at 1 A. That's just two phones at "slow charge" rate, things obviously get worse with more loads or higher current draws. Yes, you can use voltage sense lines, but that only works if all your loads are at the same point (breaking the central regulator idea.

* also part of line loss: that 0.5v drop means you have about 0.5W lost as waste heat. Scale up as you add devices. This will quickly eat up the efficiency of a central converter.

* USB PD mode can be up to 20V.

* The centralized converter may be really efficient, but efficiency will vary depending on load.

* Running a 5V line next to 120 VAC is illegal, unsafe, and a great way to induce massive 60 Hz hum on your 5v line (along with any other induced noise).

But, if you want to run a centralized 5VDC supply in its own conduit, you can. Plan on about 2/0 cable to give yourself some headroom (about 3/8" diameter wire, use larger if you use aluminum wire)

1. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker

Thank you -- this was the kind of boffinry I was hoping to receive in response.

"Running a 5V line next to 120 VAC is illegal, unsafe" -- hence why I mentioned building codes would need to change, but likely won't, and you state why.

"...if you use aluminum wire" -- NOW who's unsafe? [smirk] Too much risk of corrosion or worse by choosing the wrong connectors/lugs, bus bars, etc.

3. Man inna barrel

5V DC is a very poor choice for power distribution. It requires thick wires to avoid volt drop, and so wastes copper. Industrial DC power distribution often uses 48V DC. For the same power delivered, 48V requires about 1/10 of the current than is needed at 5V. Also, we can tolerate ten times the volt drop at 48V than we can at 5V, for the same tolerance on delivered voltage. This means that wires for 48V power delivery can be nearly 1/100 of the cross sectional area than would be required using a 5V bus.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Isn't that the reason that commercial PoE also uses 48V? Your average ethernet cable is also not really designed to haul large amperages around.

4. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Why not just use POE coming out of a switch? A little circuitry at the remote end to negotiate the power output from the switch and step it down to 5 or 12V? I've done this before with the "remote" end of the D-Link POE injectors. And not as many worries about building codes since it's LV. I mean, you're not going to be able to run any power tools off of it, but you could use it to replace wall-warts for electronic devices

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

And not as many worries about building codes since it's LV

Not so fast. Thin cables go glowy a lot quicker with a few amps than a power line, that is, for instance, why you should really ditch a lightning cable when it starts fraying. That is also why USB-C cables are chipped - they tell the power supply they can handle the up to 100W (I believe) that these can put on the line when the cable can handle it as less rated cables could turn themselves into nice little heating elements.

Just because it's LV doesn't mean you can't do stupid stuff with it. A point welder is also only a few volts, but the amount of current it throws out through what amounts to a short circuit is enough to weld metal..

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

means 2% more space for the batter

*Perk*. Doughnuts? Or Yorkshire pudding? Either is acceptable..

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Inductive chargers are terribly inefficient

Hopefully they can minimise some of the efficiencies by only having the charging circuit active when a device is detected.. It won't solve the inefficiency of the actual charging process but at least they won't waste power when there's no device present..

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Like an induction hob.

I am interesting where the wasted energy goes. The one wireless charger I use is silent, cool and doesn't move or glow. I guess I could see if the actual mains adaptor is warmer than a plugged in one but its not perceptibly so to the touch.

1. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

The wasted energy is dissipated as heat or stray electromagnetic radiation. The stray radiation will also be mostly converted to heat as it is absorbed by whatever surrounds it. And a very-very small percentage of that stray radiation might be converted to chemical potential as it is strikes and modifies the odd chemical construct (DNA?) in it's surroundings.

The energy has to go somewhere, so the fact that you can't feel heat suggest it is mostly radiation.

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Hopefully they can minimise some of the efficiencies by only having the charging circuit active when a device is detected

Most wireless chargers do that already, also to avoid heating up non-chargeable metal things that happen to stray onto them.

That said, my concern is more with data transfer. WiFi is still a heck of a lot slower than cable.

3. JohnFen

This makes me glad

This makes me glad that I've decided not to buy any more smartphones. If Apple does this, then it's almost certain that all of the other phone manufacturers will too, because that's just how they roll. The smartphone market just keeps getting further and further away from producing the sorts of devices that I want and need.

1. Grikath

Re: This makes me glad

Not entirely sure about that...

As far as the insano-priced flagship models are concerned you may be right. Then again, sane people don't buy those things. There's a glut of [$currency]200 range smartphones ( provider-shackle free) around that can and will do all the use-cases for a smartphone quite brilliantly and efficiently. Quite a few models as well in that range that specifically provide [port] because people actually use them.

It's only the Gadget-stricken and the Fashionistas that need to suffer from the vagaries of the Designers' pipe dreams.

1. Tom 38

I agree to an extent, but the flagship phones tend to be just a little bit higher quality. My one trick (phone companies hate this, you won't believe #7 etc) is to get the previous flagship when the next one is released, and get it from a more budget company. My current phone is the Huawei P30 Pro, which I got when the Mate 30 was announced (replacing a OnePlus 2, which shows I work them in to the ground).

The P30 Lite is also a darn nice phone, but it doesn't have the IP 68 waterproof chops of its big brother, and its lacking quite so many camera sensors, some RAM and the Leica lenses. I got the P30 Pro for £150 up-front and £30 pcm (30GB data, unlimited everything else), which seemed just about fine to me.

2. ThatOne Silver badge
      Unhappy

Abandon that outdated idea that customers' wishes and needs somehow shape and drive the market. It's all about the vagaries of design and marketing departments, customers have to eat what is on the table. And they do, so yes, it works.

3. theOtherJT Silver badge

This reply brought to you from my planet cosmo... I like it, but definitely a niche device. Very glad it got built tho.

4. macjules
    Gimp

Hooray for wireless charging!

Now we can charge you £250 for the earphones and no doubt another £250 for the charger. All this on top of £1500 for the phone. Oh, and we're making it with extra thin glass and doubling the AppleCare fee.

My God how the money rolls in ..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hooray for wireless charging!

as long as there are enough fools to pay them, who cares?

2. jelabarre59

And they'll make the case so slick you can't use those dorky/ugly stand/ring thingies (whatever they're called), but Apple will sell you a nice iPhone stand for $1000.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

AppleCare is an oxymoron.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm still reasonable OK with the phones (especially since the "latest" tends to make the previous top model cheaper, which is when I tend to buy them if mine is 2..3 years old), but I have only ever bought one original Apple case for a phone, and I'll never make that mistake again. Now THAT fully deserves the title "overpriced [censored]". Ugh.

5. Ol'Peculier

My experience with Bluetooth headphones and video has so far been pretty poor, although that might be down to the processing grunt of my tablet, so to move away from wired headphones would be a very bad thing for me.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Bluetooth audio is generally great as long as the device supports the codecs (the radio in my kitchen struggles with m4a encoding for example). You can get interference, theoretically from noisy wifi, more practically near HV cables (stations) but I find this minimal.

Wireless video is more sensitive because it needs more bandwidth but I find Miracast to be very reliable.

2. doublelayer Silver badge

If you're getting frequent disconnects, my guess is that either you are near a source of bad interference, such as a power line, or one or both the devices have an old bluetooth chip that doesn't support newer versions of the spec. The improvement in bluetooth over the past decade has been surprising and admirable. Not that it's perfect now, but for many use cases, it is pretty good. Only your use case will decide whether you can, or would want to, use only wireless audio devices.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Make sure it's only really connected to ONE thing. I have a number of devices that support dual device connectivity, but I found it better to allocate them to one device only - that avoids a lot of problems with audio quality and it also ensures I know what picks up what :).

6. EveryTime

" fledgling", really?

Wireless charging is sub-par, but hardly " fledgling".

A quick review of my purchases shows that I bought an add-on Qi pad and charging coil for my Samsung S5 in 2015 for under $3 each -- they had already hit the commodity clone end of the aftermarket.

The technology still faces the fundamental problem they had back then -- efficiency and power density is bad. You need a big coil and/or heavy magnetics. If you want better efficiency and faster charging, the size and weight goes up from there.

I don't see a fundamental problem with power banks simply including the charging pad into the case, but that's going to add a bit to the price in a highly competitive market. You occasionally see public wireless charging, but if anything they seem to be less common than a few years ago.

Bottom line: it's going to take a lot of "courage" to degrade the user experience that much. You certainly don't want to do it when your are using up your "courage" with another mis-feature.

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Meh

Re: " fledgling", really?

I've got a battery pack with Qi charger built-in. It's inconvenient having to leave the phone flat on the battery to charge (especially when travelling) and now the Qi aspect has packed in altogether so I can't even do that.

I'll stick with a cable instead (but Qi when at home)

7. Cavehomme_

Au revoir Pomme

So the iPhone that I've had for the past couple of years will be the last iPhone I ever buy then. Loved the quality, but hate where Apple is heading in removing features.

Can't bring myself to goback to Android though, and Windows Phone was aborted, so it'll have to be a "dumb" phone next time around, and use it as a hotspot for my laptop and tablet if necessary.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Au revoir Pomme

I can't wait to retire and chuck out the effing "smartphone" I have to get an incredibly stupid dumb phone.

I miss the days when a mobile phone would last a week on standby.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Have a look at Android one: Android by Google, no bloat, only the apps you decide to install.

Runs on mostly mid-range phones, UI very similar to IOS.

I have a Nokia 7.1 and I wouldn't exchange it with an iphone anytime. Mostly because of dual-sim :)

PS: additional bonus, since this is not a 1.2 kE luxury item, you can afford to loose it somewhere and come back the next day to find it back. Try that with an iPhone !

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Strangely, I have a dual SIM iPhone :)

8. GreggS

CarPlay

So they're going to make nearly all Apple Carplay systems redundant as well at the same time? Only very few manufacturers are including wireless CarPlay systems.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Yes, of course

With each new iPhone you must buy new accessories!

Including that charging, speaker and transport unit. How else can Apple make their next $10 billion?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Yes, of course

Are you suggesting an Apple-branded car? If so, I hope it's a Prius so that old SouthPark episode will finally become reality...

1. macjules

Re: Yes, of course

An AppleCar will not come with wheels, or seats and will require you to control it from the iCar app. Of course being made out of glass it will require AppleCare cover and will require you to make a GeniusBar appointment for servicing, MoT or updates.

Prices will start at $100,000 for the basic model and each wheel will retail at $5,000. Seats range from the basic rubbery substance that they use for the AppleWatch through to fine leather carefully flayed from the backs of volunteer fanbois.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: CarPlay

Only very few manufacturers are including wireless CarPlay systems.

I've not had a car system yet that didn't want to integrate with my iPhone, but maybe that's because all I need is the usual contacts/phone/media hookup which is supported on either platform. If CarPlay does anything more it's not doing anything I particularly need :).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Wireless chargers require your phone remain connected to a single flat contact point"

This excerpt in itself summarises just how fecking useless wireless charging is. Guess what else requires my phone to remain connected to a single flat contact point?... That's right, charging it with a cable!

1. Donn Bly

Wireless charging is only "useless" for those who have never used it.

I generally use wireless charging for my Samsung. A pad on my desk in my office, and a pad next to my bed at night. When I am driving I have a simple lighter cord that does the job if I need it. However, when I am out and about and/or working 20+ hours straight and the phone dies I have a nice battery pack in my coat pocket with a short charging cable. I can plug my phone into it and drop both of them back in the pocket, or plug it in so that I can continue to [ make calls | read my email | pontificate on Reddit ].

With wireless-only charging that becomes much more difficult. From the experience of laying in bed at night trying to hold my phone against the charger while I continue to try to use the phone is NOT convenient. Trying to do it while on the road would be next to impossible.

1. Adam JC

Okay, here's why it's useless to me..

My previous phone, a Samsung Galaxy S8, could not even receive enough charge to maintain it's battery life whilst using it as a sat nav in my car using a wireless charging pad.

Conclusion? Useless! Until Qi or whatever the latest standard is, can provide the same oomph as a qualcomm quickcharging charger's out put the technology is dead, especially as phones are getting hungrier and juicier in terms of power requirements.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. dnicholas
    Trollface

Free!!?

>>For example, will punters have to buy their own wireless chargers, or will Apple supply them for free with new devices?

With the £1200 fondleslab? Probably

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Free!!?

sigh...given the obvious context (the register), it was a tongue-in-cheek rhetorical question...

12. YourNameHere

Will be interesting when I am at a park

What will I do have to by a battery brick that supports wireless charging that I need to rubber band it to while it's in my pocket to charge?

1. batfink

Re: Will be interesting when I am at a park

Clearly you'll need to use only an Apple iRubberBand (TM) , otherwise your warranty will be voided.

Available at your local Apple store (in a range of colours) from only <Currency>299.

13. jelabarre59

Don't have to wait that long

Apple tipped to go full wireless by 2021

And I've gone full Apple-less for quite some time now. Big deal.

The removal of the floppy drive from the iMac, the excision of the DVD-ROM drive on the MacBook Air, and the iPhone 7's absence of a 3.5mm jack all spring to mind. These changes were initially controversial – if not unpopular – but punters eventually adjusted.

Yeah, *I* adjusted by not buying Apple products.

14. Nifty Silver badge

Here there are charger cables permanently sited in living, dining, bed rooms and 2 cars. Plus battery banks for trips. Apple thinks I'm going to replace this fleet? "Good luck with that".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You're in balls deep already by the sounds of it. Submit to Apple. Do it

2. Donn Bly
      Facepalm

QI compatible charging coil pads can be bought for under $10 and plug into your existing chargers and cords. Of course, you will have so much power loss from the wireless transfer that you would still have to upgrade any charger that doesn't put out at least 2.4 amp.

1. martinusher Silver badge

>QI compatible charging coil pads can be bought for under $10 and plug into your existing chargers and cords.

So they haven't figured out how to apply DRM to these pads yet? A notable omission.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
          Mushroom

They did. The only part Apple couldn't figure out was the "charging", so they were eventually forced to cancel the product and use the Qi standard instead.

3. Wyrdness

" Apple thinks I'm going to replace this fleet?"

No, some analyst thinks that Apple are going to do this. Big difference.

15. el kabong

yawning now

Can't people find something interesting to talk about?

This is boring, apple incorporated is boring.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: yawning now

This is the Internet. If you're not interested, you don't have to read, you can go to another page, or another site.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sure, go wireless. I love wireless, it's a great way to track people and get an alert when they walk nearby in bluetooth range.

17. ITS Retired
    Stop

Removing the Lightning cable from the iPhone and with no audio jack, Apple then can make their phones paper thin, just like they are telling us we want.

Never mind what we are trying to tell them.

1. phuzz Silver badge

One other advantage is that it will be much easier to waterproof the phones.

Of course, it will also make them even harder for repairers to open. I wonder if iFixit's scale can go negative?

18. cb7

Will the wireless charging still work when the phone gets bent in someone's back pocket?

19. Patrick Marino

Car Play

I just purchased a 2020 Lexus, it requires usb for Apply Car Play. How will that work in 2021? I’m sure Lexus isn’t updating old cars.

1. Phil Kingston

Re: Car Play

It'll continue to work just fine.

Now, if you choose to update your phone to a USB-free one, that's where the problem might start.

I hope you leased rather than purchased.

2. ThatOne Silver badge
      Devil

> How will that work in 2021?

It will work just fine with the 2021 Lexus you will have to buy along with your 2021 iPhone... Forcing people to throw away perfectly good stuff is the newest fad. You know, protect the planet and all that.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple marketing logic: By then you will have cracked your windshield so you will have to replace the whole car.

4. Borg.King

I’m sure Lexus isn’t updating old cars

Actually they are. My 2018 LC500 did not have Apple Carplay when I first bought it, but my Lexus dealer upgraded the ICE unit with new software last year, and yay! Carplay.

20. scrubber

Waterproof?

Proprietary induction charging?

Apple are ahead of the curve on the solar highway.

1. silent_count

Re: Waterproof?

That was my first thought too. No headphone jack or power cable plug would make a phone nearly waterproof by default. The catch would be the speaker and mic. To have decent sound in/out, you'd still need some holes in the shell. Unless, of course, apple displays some of their legendary, feature removing courage and starts selling phones which, not to put too fine a point on it, do not make phone calls.

1. Anonymous Custard
        Trollface

Unless, of course, apple displays some of their legendary, feature removing courage and starts selling phones which, not to put too fine a point on it, do not make phone calls.

Aren't those called iPod's?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No, they are called iPods or iPads.

21. AndrewLockhart

New IPhones wouldn’t be compatible with 99% of cars

This seems like the right move long term, but would also mean almost everyone using CarPlay right now would need to buy an adapter. Hardly any cars support wireless CarPlay.

Right now lots of people stumble across CarPlay when they plug their phone in to charge.

Needing an adaptor would make the barrier to entry much higher.

22. techjock

Oh the latency, think of the poor musos

I resisted the temptation to move into iWorld until I needed some music apps to run in real-time (eg portable software synth). The latency of the Android devices made them unusable. iPads and iPhones are fine. There's a rich array of music apps - probably as a consequence.

Attaching microphones and midi adapters via Bluetooth has been a waste of time (measurable in lots of milliseconds) due to the latency of the Bluetooth connection and/or other overheads.

Will this drive musicians (at least the ones who have a day job and the associated cash) back to the clunkiness of Windoze tablets?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh the latency, think of the poor musos

...until I needed some music apps to run in real-time (eg portable software synth). The latency of the Android devices made them unusable. iPads and iPhones are fine.

That's odd. Other than real time output quality that was able to be improved with a wired headphone, there's no latency issue here with portable synth app. Even a basic piano app had no latency issue. These were tested on a few android devices. Perhaps it's a specific cpu or audio chip issue? Try asking your friend with a better spec android device to try your app.

1. techjock

Re: Oh the latency, think of the poor musos

There are two concerns about latency... first was with a wired connection via a midi adapter to the phone/tablet running a software synth. The midi controller was an Akai EWE. There was enough latency to make playing through Android devices difficult. I tried a few different synth apps and Samsung Galaxy phone and tablet, also tried with a Xiomei phone which had reasonable specs at the time. Everything was fine with an iPhone 7 and iPad Air 2. I also tried to go wireless with a couple of different Bluetooth transmitters. The latency was horrendous. Android phones may have adequate performance now to do the job with a wired connection, but going all wireless on iPhones will mean inserting BT latency into the circuit.

23. Mike 137 Silver badge

"but punters eventually adjusted"

Doesn't that just sum it up?

A long time ago, products were made to serve the needs and wants of purchasers and the customer was king. Now, the consumer is not king - the punter will take what they're thrown, shut up and get used to it or can do without. And that at a premium price.

24. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

Coming up: Helium filled iPhones

25. gnarlymarley

audio mixer

I have an audio mixer that I use with the 3.5mm output jack. If I go wireless, then I STILL need a wireless adapter that has a 3.5mm output jack. Now matter how you may try to convince me, I have no other way to get the signal into the mixer.

A.K.A. if you want me to buy your phone, then you will include the 3.5mm output jack that I use on my audio mixer.

26. imaginarynumber

Itunes restore?

And how are you supposed to connect to your PC to restore from itunes when the phone refuses to boot?

Oh and ditching the floppy drive... resulted in people buying external floppy drives because the iMac shipped with a CD-ROM.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like