back to article Nokia 2.3: HMD flings out €109 budget 'droid with a 2-day battery

HMD Global, the licencee of the once-ubiquitous Nokia mobile phone brand, today unveiled its latest budget blower, the Nokia 2.3. This handset resembles a heavily upgraded version of the Nokia 2.2. It carries the same MediaTek Helio A22 chipset, but has improvements in other areas. The rear-facing camera, for instance, is now …

1. iron Silver badge

Is it as slow as molasses on a cold day like their other Android 1 phones? No-one should be forced to use those awful devices (like some poor unfortunates at my former employer).

1. mark l 2 Silver badge

Slow compared to what? Other budget phones of the same price or phones that are 5x or more expensive?

I have a Nokia 5.1 which has Android one and a Mediatek chipset and not noticed any slowness myself, and its used as my daily driver and cost me a little more than the Nokia 2.3, I paid £120 about 6 months ago for it.

1. Stork Silver badge

I got one of those as well, does the job. And the fingerprint recognition is way better than what I had on my late Samsung (as in actually usable).

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I have a 7.1 and man, what a blast. Does everything, has 2 days of battery life, dual-sim etc ...

"HMD Global bought the rights to the Nokia marque in 2016, following the disastrous acquisition of the Finnish tech giant's handset division by Microsoft in 2014. Since then, the reborn Nokia lineup has won some new fans, thanks to a diverse lineup of solid budget devices and quirky high-enders."

This, I didn't know, but clearly, those guys know which market to go after, and this is the right one: top medium entry phones. My 7.1 costed me 250 E only ...

Apple now know insane prices are a matter of the past. The market is clearly in mid-range ...

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

The bulk market is clearly in mid-range ...

Fixed that for you. And Apple have never really been interested in the bulk market..

3. iron Silver badge

I've used several Nokia phones during app testing and you'd be better off with a Huawei or any other recent phone in my testing pool. Terrible app startup times... terrible app performance... They are comparable to cheap LG phones from 4 or 5 years ago.

But then I suppose if you paid £120 you got what you paid for.

2. Franco

I bought a 6.1 the day they were released and it's a great phone for the price

2. tony72

Should please some around here

For those people strangely obsessed with removable batteries and SD card slots - this has them, and a 3.5mm headphone jack as well. Didn't seem to be mentioned in the article.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Should please some around here

I will give you removable batteries and even 3.5mm jacks now in-ear BT headsets are halfway decent and not too expensive, but my removable SD card with the entire photo library that is none of Google's business - I don't put my family in the cloud - is a prise out of cold dead hands item.

Should I visit somewhere that ignores the GDPR, I can take my phone and leave my personal stuff behind. This is a Good Thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: NO.

I won't give them an inch. Ok, I have a phone without a removable battery now. But only because I could not get one at all, and same will be headphone jack soon.

SD card and headphone jack are essential. Period.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I will give you ... 3.5mm jacks now in-ear BT headsets are halfway decent and not too expensive"

I have some *very* nice in-ear and over-ear headphones that I'd like to use. I don't see the need for buying *another* set of headphones when I've got 3 already ;)

2. Warm Braw

Not sure what's strange about not wanting to throw a device away just because the battery is dead, but I regret to tell you that according to HMD/Nokia the battery is NOT removable.

I have unexpectedly found that I quite like the convenience of being able to use my phone to pay for low-value things, rather than carry around a separate card, so the lack of NFC is an issue: I'd rather they'd ditched the redundant charger and cable. Fix those and, apart from being far too large (as practically all phones are these days), it would be pretty much all I would need in a phone.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Not sure what's strange about not wanting to throw a device away just because the battery is dead,

Throwing away a device because tools and a few minutes are required to change a battery is pretty strange.

Non replaceable and non user replaceable are completely different things, especially as the latter is usually a simple 5 minute job.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

True, although "non-user replaceable" has, in my experience, tended to mean "high probability of breaking something.

3. RM Myers
      Unhappy

You might want to tell the manufacturer that this has a removable battery. The website says "Battery type Non-removable 4000 mAh".

1. tony72
        Facepalm

My bad, I was sure I read that in the specs, but clearly not the case. I blame the lunchtime cider.

1. Blockchain commentard

Yep, the 3rd pint was obviously off !!!

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

The 4th one should have fixed that.

4. dajames

For those people strangely obsessed with removable batteries and SD card slots - this has them...

Sadly, no. It says "Non-removable" on Nokia's site.

It does have an SD card slot, as well as 2GB RAM and 32GB Flash built-in (just about the minimum that's useful, these days, and the article might have mentioned it) though the website doesn't say whether the dual-SIM version forces you to choose between a second SIM and an SD card as is so often the case.

The phone also does not have NFC, which is finally becoming almost useful enough to be a requirement.

5. Blackjack Silver badge

Yay!

But I bought a Nokia 1 this year as my travel phone, so I am not buying this one.

6. David 155

What they dont tell you is that with Android One you cant use the SD card slot as internal storage, as I have found with my Nokia 6.1.

1. bengoey49

I think the Xiaomi Redmi Go can use the SD card as an internal drive.

2. Blackjack Silver badge

I think you can with Android Go and these cheap phones use Android Go but I am not a 100% sure.

3. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

"if such things tickle your fancy", +FULL STOP "."

FTFY

4. HeIsNoOne

"the inclusion of MicroUSB...feels increasingly archaic as we enter 2020"

Is MicroUSB "archaic"? What is the current standard?

Not being sarcastic, genuinely want to know.

1. David 132 Silver badge

USB-C, I presume. The main advantage of which in this context is that it’s not orientation-sensitive, so much easier to plug in vs. Micro USB.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Trollface

Also seems stronger on the connectors and port. Not perfect, as to be stronger than Micro USB, you just need the toilet paper to not be wet.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

While USB type C is newer and gaining in popularity, I've seen plenty of things sold in 2019 which still use the micro USB connection. Orientation has never been particularly important to me, and I have a wonderfully large collection of micro USB cables, so it's not very important to me which of those two ports they choose to use. In fact, if I was pressed to make a choice, I might have to go with micro USB only because there are a few different types of USB type C cables that can't easily be told apart from a look at the connectors.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Indeed, no issues with micro USB as plenty of cables accrued over the years, whereas have only 1 spare USB C cable (that was purchased as a "get a spare just in case" move)

5. MacroRodent

Battery life

If the battery life is indeed as advertised, I might switch to that from last year's HMD "nokia" 5.1 model. So tired of it dying in the afternoon.

6. Graham 32

I see the website says "AI-assisted 2-day battery life". It's as if they want to regain the top spot on https://dontkillmyapp.com/

(If it wasn't for the info on that website I would have ditched my Nokia 6.1 work properly. When I set an alarm to wake me up in the morning I expect it to bloody work! Stupid app-killing aside, it's a good phone.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like