back to article BOFH: I'd like introduce you to a groovy little web log I call 'That's Boss'

BOFH logo telephone with devil's horns "We'd like to Twitter our information to the world," the Boss gasps happily – in much the same excited tones as one would expect upon the discovery of a cure for cancer, a path to world peace, or a piece of "free" software that doesn't inject a toolbar into your browser the moment you …

1. wowfood
    Thumb Up

Gotta say

I feel like the beancounter has the right idea sometimes.

1. deadlockvictim

Re: Gotta say

That beancounter is the best thing about this episode, although given the content, I shouldn't laugh at it. The poor guy needs help.

It really reminds me of The Onion's once regular columnists, like the great Herbert Kornfeld (RIP brutha). More Info here: https://www.theonion.com/tag/herbert-kornfeld

1. hittitezombie

I feel like the beancounter every day. Is it bad?

2. CountCadaver Silver badge

From painful personal experience, mental health isn't a subject for ridicule, too many face it every day and for some its enough to tip them over the edge...leaving kids, spouses etc behind wondering what they could have done to prevent it and blaming themselves.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

You have a point and there is always the Samaritans (https://www.samaritans.org/) ready to listen hence another commentard's reference to the free number 116 123

The background to them is, of course, tragic as well and something that ought to be rammed down the throats of any politician, etc, who wants to control access to valid sexual information. From the Wikipedia page:

Samaritans was founded in 1953 by Chad Varah, a vicar in the Church of England Diocese of London. His inspiration came from an experience he had had some years earlier as a young curate in the Diocese of Lincoln. He had taken a funeral for a girl of fourteen who had killed herself because she feared she had contracted an STD. In reality, she was menstruating.

Most who joke here are doing what is common, dealing with the horrors of real life through humour and not actually meaning any harm to those with mental health issues.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Agreed. This is the first episode of BOFH where I have felt uncomfortable reading it. It feels like a line has been crossed that perhaps shouldn't have been. I know and love too many people who have struggled with depression and ended their lives as a result. I wish that each of them hadn't.

1. ShadowDragon8685

In hindsight, that line was crossed years and years ago when the BOfH and PFY used "hermaphrodite" as a hateful and derogatory term, but they stopped using it quietly and had the wisdom to not Streisand themselves by removing it, nor to draw attention to it by apologizing.

But yes, this was another line, and it really should not have been crossed this way. Jokes about a boring beancounter applying maximally-anal boring beancountery tactics to the ennui of workaday life? That can work. Joking about beancountery suicide, not funny.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I rather assumed that the blog was a fake to diffuse suspicion after they push their least-favorite beancounter out the window...

3. MonkeyCee

"mental health isn't a subject for ridicule"

I actually read it as gallows humour. It's about the only way you can talk about it sometimes. Even just acknowledging that other people also genuinely think "Fuck it, I'm done" and then get on with it can help.

Stoicism is the exception, not the rule. Life sucks, and sometimes there doesn't seem like a way out. In the same way a drowning person just needs to breath but can't by themselves, a person in a depression needs to reach out for emotional support, but can't by themselves.

I've missed the signs, and I've had to bury too many friends who took their own lives.

1. J. Cook Silver badge
            Angel

This.

In the US, The southerners had a way of talking about gallows humor: "Sir, if I don't laugh, I'm surely gonna cry."

At times, my sense of humor can be black enough that it nearly got a lawsuit from Anish Kapoor.

(disclaimer: I've been engaged in a rather long-running fight with my own depression. Some days are better than others. If you are thinking of ending it all, Please for the love of $deity, call your area's crisis line.Life may suck, but all of us together makes it sucks less.)

2. Persona Silver badge

I worked (past tense) with a beancounter who thought like that.

Call 116 123

3. Blackjack Silver badge

Is no use unless he can take the boss with him.

4. JR
      Devil

The beancounter's blog looked like it may have been written (or at least edited) by the BOFH/PFY. Especially when they unlocked the window at the end.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

I very much agree. But, you know, and I've quoted that before, explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. In short: the frog dies.

1. TomPhan

You should really tag that with a spoiler alert,

1. Mark 85

You should really tag that with a spoiler alert,

Why? Do you read the comments before the article?

Holmes

Spoiler alert: no frog dies in this episode of BOFH.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Ooohhh ! We're back to sneakily dreadful.

First, this one is dead on as far as Twitter is concerned. I completely agree with its position.

Second, although nobody got rolled up in carpet, there's potential for a lot of mayhem in a follow-up piece, and I'm looking forward to that.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Ooohhh ! We're back to sneakily dreadful.

Yup. Another Boss being lined up for defenestration. I think he's already exceeded previous longevity records by some margin.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Defenestration? I thought that was more technically called a data normalisation warning

1. scrubber

Or realigning the verticals.

2. macjules

Defenestration is the act of being thrown out of a window. A ‘data normalisation warning’ is when Windows throws you out.

2. Blackjack Silver badge

If the Boss is really over 70 then he is overdue to get a golden parachute and leaving the company.

Golden parachute - never understood that metaphor. I would think that a golden parachute should fly like a lead zeppelin: go down quickly and crushing the parachutist in the process. In an expensive way. But that's not what happens, rather unfortunately.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"should fly like a lead zeppelin:"

The Mythbusters proved that you can get a lead balloon to fly.

1. J. Cook Silver badge
              Boffin

Yes, but it was incredibly fragile, and could barely lift it's own weight.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The over 70 and most (all?) of the other tweets were mocking satire of tweets by the leader of a certain country, one who has an obsessive penchant for Twitter use. It was referring to the leader's age, not the age of the boss.

1. J. Cook Silver badge

and with a very sharp rapier for that wit, as well. :)

2. TranceWarp

Sadly, I know of whom you speak. HE with the orange skin...

I know cause I live there... X(

3. Blackjack Silver badge

Too late, I find it funnier if the boss is so old that the most modern thing he knows how to use is a 286 and was kicked upstairs.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

For a BOFH Boss that's 70 days. And the parachute's ripped paper.

4. Goldmember

It was the PFY who claimed to be 73. The Y stands for "Youth", although I'm sure it's been at least 12 years since he was introduced into the workplace.

12 years? Surely it was in the 90s when PFY first appeared, wasn't it?

3. Montreal Sean

The boss survivimg this long must mean he's a Linux user.

He stays far away from Windows.

Ok, where's my coat?

2. JR
      Go

Sounds like there's going to be a lot of openings (window & job) in the weeks to come.

3. Maverick

"a piece of "free" software that doesn't inject a toolbar into your browser the moment you click next."

pure fiction

1. baud

VLC media player? The dev refused a multi millions offer by Google to add the Chrome installer to its setup, so I'd doubt he'd add a browser toolbar

1. JulieM Silver badge
        Headmaster

VLC Media Player is not "free" software, though: it's Free Software, in the originally-intended sense of the phrase.

VLC doesn't just cost £0. It fully respects the user's freedom to (0) ENJOY the use of the software without let or hindrance, (1) STUDY its operation, (2) SHARE the software with their neighbours and (3) ADAPT the software to their individual needs.

2. hittitezombie

There are plenty of GPL and Apache licensed content which are not trying to steal your credentials - but not a lot in Google Play or whatever store Apple has these days.

4. chivo243 Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Thwaaaachk!

Let's make teeth great again! Now, about that keyboard...

5. Evil Auditor Silver badge
    Devil

Glad to see that Simon's back to good ol' defenestration method - spiced up with some social media stuff. Speaking of which, is Twitter not derived from twit?

1. Spanners Silver badge
      Pint

@ Evil Auditor

...is Twitter not derived from twit?

I had always felt that if you trace back the origins..

Twitter

Twiddle

Twaddle

YMMV but there are some really interesting people out there and some of them tweet things very worth reading but there is also a stupendous amount of dross on Twitter. The trick is to only look at the interesting stuff. That's why I am not much troubled by advertising. I have this special device that stops me seeing adverts - it's called a brain...

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: @ Evil Auditor

Tweet like a bird, see their logo. thoughts were all a twitter...

2. Tom 38
      1. A.P. Veening Silver badge
    3. jelabarre59

Speaking of which, is Twitter not derived from twit?

"Twitter" is a shade *stronger* than "twit". So you need to develop software called "Twittest".

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Twitacular!

1. Tom 7

twistecukar?

4. Chairman of the Bored

Twitter derived from twit?

Nope! Most are written by twats.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Twitter derived from twit?

When I were a lad my mother used to complain about us “wittering on” about something we weren’t allowed to do.

I also remember my granny using the phrase.

Not much difference between us wittering on then, and those sad sacks twittering now.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Admiral strategy

Constantly schedule reviews of your suicide plan so that you never get around to doing it.

1. Rich 11

Admirable typo

I plan to attain immortality by never quite getting round to making a will. I'd be mortified if I died intestate.

1. jelabarre59

Re: Admirable typo

I plan to attain immortality by never quite getting round to making a will. I'd be mortified if I died intestate.

You could have a heart attack on I84, then you could die inteRstate...

2. Baudwalk

intestate...

... no balls?

1. Mephistro
          Coffee/keyboard

Re: intestate...

Extesticular!

7. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Megaphone

Most people have nothing interesting to say on a regular basis.

So true, myself included. But that doesn't seem to stop us. In fact, the less we have to say, the more and louder we seem to want to say it! I'm sure there's a law in there somewhere.

1. Rich 11

Re: Most people have nothing interesting to say on a regular basis.

Trump's Law

Pint

Trump's Law

That deserves way more than the one upvote I can give you and a whole keg of

2. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

This is the best, you know everyone is happy about it, everyone I spoke to is happy about it, this really is a great law, great law. It's going really well I think, and I think everyone is really happy about it. Really. Drain the swamp, Make Relational Laws Great Again!

Judging by the downvotes, the Trump fanboys are out in full force.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

This is the best recipe since sliced bread!

Ingredients

12 strips bacon

2 cups 1-percent milk

3 large eggs

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons kosher salt

1/2 cup finely crumbled blue cheese

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Cook the bacon using the "Mauro Method." Line a baking sheet with parchment, overlapping each side 1 to 2 inches. Put the bacon on the parchment and bake until crisp and brown, about 20 minutes. This way, the fat will fry the bacon to a perfect crisp, but not come in contact with the metal pan, creating a mess. Drain the bacon on paper towels and let cool. Once the fat is cooled, reserve 6 tablespoons.

Microwave the milk for 45 seconds. Whisk together the milk, eggs and 2 tablespoons of the cooled (yet liquid) bacon fat in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Slowly combine the liquid ingredients with the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Let the batter sit for at least 1 hour (at room temperature) or overnight in the fridge (ideal).

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Evenly ladle the remaining 4 tablespoons bacon fat into the cups of a 12-cup muffin tin. Heat the muffin tin in the hot oven until smoking, about 4 1/2 minutes. Quickly ladle some batter into each cup of the muffin tin, almost up to the brim. Bake until golden brown with a dramatic rise (doubling in size), 25 to 30 minutes.

Once immediately out of the oven, place some blue cheese crumbles in the center of each warm Yorkshire pudding. Grind some black pepper over them and serve right out of the muffin tin.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: This is the best recipe since sliced bread!

Blue cheese in Yorkshire puddings? No wonder you posted anonymously.

2. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Whisk? Seriously, just use a blender. No need to waste time waiting for the batter to sit for an hour or overnight either. Use the blender again a moment or so before pouring, all it really needs is some air bubbles in the mixture and a last blend of the blender does this.

At least you didn't mention making a well, using a fork first, blah, blah, blah... :)

3. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
              Paris Hilton

Might I be so bold as to ask why you need kosher salt when your first ingredient is just about the first non-kosher thing most people would think to name?

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Kosher salt has larger crystals than non-kosher, and usually isn't iodized.

A teaspoon of kosher would have less actual salt than a teaspoon of table salt, and more than a teaspoon of rock salt.

2. Stoneshop
            Trollface

Judging by the downvotes, the Trump fanboys are out in full force.

Both of them, and their sockpuppets.

3. Mark 85

Put it on Wikipedia and it will go ballistic.

4. TranceWarp

Got that right.

Our Twit-In-Chief can't keep away from digitally giving himself foot-in-mouth disease.

2. Keven E

"The gradual decline into self-aggrandising dementia..."

Best...description...ever.

3. ecofeco Silver badge

Sturgeons law.

1. quxinot

Sturgeons law is optimistic.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Sturgeon's law has a 90% chance of being crud.

4. chivo243 Silver badge

I've found if I'm quiet too long, people think that I'm angry or something. A small burst of inane chatter seems to cure that. So, what about the price of rice in China?

1. Kiwi
        Pint

I've found if I'm quiet too long, people think that I'm angry or something.

Bloody hell. Is that what's up with them?

I tend to be a quiet person most of the time, and prefer not to speak unless I'm certain I can improve upon the silence (yes, I know, my El Reg posts beg to differ!).

So often I've heard people claim that I am an angry person, yet I very seldom raise my voice at people or swear or cut them off/given the silence etc.

Now I think I understand, people just assuming I'm quiet because I'd rather not speak then spout some inane drivel (again, I realise my posts beg to differ... :) )

Thanks very much for the headsup. I shall now spew forth worthless drivel in case people think I am simmering just below the boil-over point.

8. OssianScotland

Twitter

If a twitter post is a tweet, is a twitter poster a twat?

1. Chronos

Re: Twitter

No, twat is the past participle of tweet. Comes in very handy when discussing the platform.

"You twat?"

Which, serendipitously, happens to be my default response to many tweets accidentally seen (I never deliberately read that drivel), although with a slightly different inflection and no question mark.

1. Dave K
        Joke

You Twat out a Tweet on Twitter you Twit...

2. KittenHuffer Silver badge

News to me, I always thought of them as Twunts!

1. Ken Shabby

I once called someone a twunt, he twatted me!

3. JimC

No, they're a member of the twitterati...

4. ecofeco Silver badge

Usually.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Welcome to my world

"I've just pooped my diaper!" The PFY whines. "My bag needs changing."

When the average age of the users you support is over 85, the above line becomes far funnier than it really should be.

1. Huw D

Re: Welcome to my world

Reminds me of the (paraphrased) joke from Gary Delaney.

My grandfather rang me for some help with his computer.

"How do I print?"

"Control-P"

"I haven't been able to do that for the last 10 years..."

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All of this is really skirting around the question if what one should call the act of making a comment in this August Publication.

Regg-ing?

Rit?

Rot?

Over to you lot

1. JulieM Silver badge

The act is just referred to as commenting around here; the questionably-humorous noun is applied to the posters. So we're all commentards, or 'tards for short.

Now, I guess a commentard with an August birthday probably would be a Leo-tard ......

1. Stoneshop

Now, I guess a commentard with an August birthday probably would be a Leo-tard ......

I'm so not going to tweet pictures.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I got a ban on Stackexchange for referring to Commentards by our self-selected title.

2. Dr. G. Freeman

According to my timesheet, it's classified as "Work."

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
        Pint

Work

The curse of the drinking classes.

1. stiine Silver badge
          Gimp

Re: Work

Well, one of them...

2. Hero Protagonist
          Coat

“The curse of the drinking classes.”

Drinking classes? Never needed ‘em, it’s always just come naturally to me.

3. Stoneshop
          Childcatcher

is a four-letter word.

1. KittenHuffer Silver badge

That starts with a 'W', ends in a 'K', and has a two letter word in the middle!

For some reason my computer always censors it as w**k!

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

How about commentardery? As in:

"I just wasted spend the last half hour in top-quality commentardery on El Reg."

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Coat

August? My calendar tells me it's December!

Anyway, as we are commentards, surely we're just tarding? Or turding for larks?

Mine's the one with the big chocolate C in the pocket.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
        Coat

Actually, "commenturding" has a ring to it

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Which can then be shortened to "turding"

1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

cockney rhyming slang

Which can then be shortened to "turding"

And cockneyed to "Richarding".

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: cockney rhyming slang

And cockneyed to "Richarding".

..and then shortened to Dicking.

2. Hero Protagonist
          Devil

A commenturd is what you’re reading right now

11. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Pint

Creative Writing

That's what this is. Extreme creative writing. There are just so many possibilities that could flow from this one.

I need to be able to add more than one Icon. Smiley, Thumbs Up, and of course..

1. Stoneshop
      Devil

Extreme creative writing.

While hanging out the window on the Executive-level office floor.

C.f. extreme ironing.

12. Chris G

Ignorance can be bliss

I have no idea how to read a tweet and so far have managed to even avoid seeing one on someone else's phone.

The best upside result of that is only hearing about tweets from the orange potus third or fourth hand, heps to keep my blood pressure down.

The loosening of a window latch just goes to show, that twittering can be bad for your health.

1. skeptical i
      Devil

Re: Ignorance can be bliss

re: "the orange potus" -- is that a big ugly bird related to loons? Lots of squawking and flapping about, leaving white gobbets of ... stuff ... on everyone's windshields and in even less benign places?

13. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

On the internet, no-one knows...

I think this started out as a New Yorker cartoon, but their website isn't so easy to access from Europe: https://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/w/woofer.asp.

(Perfectly SFW, if you're worried)

14. ma1010
    Thumb Up

Spot on!

Thanks, Simon! Not only brightening up a workday, but also telling it like it is. I always felt the "twit" part of "Twitter" was key.

15. Roger Kynaston
    Pint

Twitter

Don't you have to be an orange moron to use it?

Nice subtle episode. I look forward to it's development.

Friday

I look forward to it's development.

Whooooosh!!!

16. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Coffee/keyboard

Comedy Gold

"Yes, and a Twitter post is called a tweet."

"As opposed to a twit, which you may have heard before," I add.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, you're bound to have heard it," the PFY says.

"I mean about tweet – are you sure that's what it's called?"

Classic comedy gold

17. IceC0ld

"Most people have nothing interesting to say on a regular basis. As the frequency of tweets increases, the resemblance of tweets to senile dementia increases proportionately - particularly where politics is concerned."

MANY true word is spoken by BofH, and now we can add these :o)

made me realise the absolute pile of pants accounts I am following on Twitter too

18. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Trollface

obWhining

Why do you have to make everything political? I read El Reg and the BOFH to get away from discussions about senescent morons posting to Twitter!

19. beecee

don't knock the bean counters, mine's nice if a bit ..

Here I am reading that telling myself I want to get back in the real world of work (I'm semi-retired due top health assisting The Boss aka Mrs) and I lose the will to launch a new biz. Shucks and Brexit, that will be curse word in the future "send him/her to Brexit" I'm losing the will, still a great laugh and I'm currrently doing the (late) VAT return

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

[quote]

Calculated that the "sweet spot" for financial compensation is

April 3 2021 when my life insurance policy and home and contents

policy payouts are positively affected by the proposed

whole-of-insurance policy and that any insurance payout

would fall in a new financial year.

[/quote]

hehehe.. that's sucks..

21. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

We've got the best Reg in the world

We've got the best Reg in the world here and we've always had it and funded most of it here in internet land. You guys are not all paying your 4% for your el Reg. You Canadians are not paying your 4% ... more like 2% and Justin knows this but he's two faced. He says he pays but he doesn't. We have the best 4%s on the planet here in cloud (cuckoo) land. They are good solid 4%s and you should all have 4%s.

I'm going to pay the UK's 4% for el Reg because Russia have promised me a golf course and hotel deal in Scotland, England. They should thank God that our 4%s will run their National Golf Service. They will get the best golf and covefe that 4%s can buy.

22. FeRDNYC

Bigly funny.

23. fraunthall

Twits

Someone in this article used the word 'twit'. In the days of the 'ancien regime' before all this web and social plague, a twit was akin to a village idiot. The Monty Python crew used the term frequently. I still adhere to that viewpoint. The thing that bothers me most about President Trump is his twitting, even though in most matters he is a great deal better than his opponents in so many ways. If I am right about that, what does that say about the Democrats. Use your imagination. The world would be a better place if the Twitter-verse suddenly evaporated. Enough of the rant - Merry Christmas, everyone! Oh yeah - one more rant. I suppose many of you out there in twitter-land hate Christmas as you do Christianity. No wonder we got a Trump.

24. Kurgan

Politically correctness sucks

A lot of people seems to feel hurt by this story. THIS IS JUST FOR FUN. Please stop being offended by everything. Seriously, stop.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like