back to article Oil be damned: Iran-based crooks flinging malware at Middle Eastern energy plants again – research

An Iran-based hacking crew long known to target energy facilities in neighboring Middle Eastern countries is believed to be launching new attacks. The team at IBM's X-Force said an actively spreading malware package dubbed ZeroCleare looks to be in part the work of APT34, a hacking crew commonly accepted to be operating out of …

1. _LC_
    Stop

Allegedly

As this follows the "throw stone against somebody's head", followed by the "shout: Look, he threw a stone against her head!", tactic.

In case you failed to notice, Iran is BAD now. Hence, we are given weekly updates of Iran's bad-doings. All true as always, guaranteed. Word of honor!

1. julian_n

Re: Allegedly

What? Next you'll be trying to tell me Saddam did not have WMDs that could hit London in 10 minutes.

Even though I saw it on the BBC.

Inconceivable.

1. _LC_

Re: Allegedly

Of course he didn't. Iran stole them, via Internet, just a second before the US went in. So skullduggerous, those wannabe Persians!

2. Claptrap314 Silver badge

"So it was easy..."

to deceive researchers, at least according to another article on this site.

I hope they have stronger evidence than they are announcing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Claptrap314 - Re: "So it was easy..."

No need for evidence, it is strong enough to serve as a justification for retaliation that will come.

2. veti Silver badge

Re: "So it was easy..."

This is one team of researchers announcing their findings. Other teams may look and reach their own conclusions, in time, if the whole show is considered important enough.

And eventually, in a completely separate process, someone (completely different - certainly not IBM) might decide to respond in some way.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. This is not a declaration of war.

1. Kabukiwookie

Re: "So it was easy..."

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. This is not a declaration of war.

No, it's not. Thus is the 'manufacturing consent' part of the road ro war.

3. Kabukiwookie

Seriously?

X-Force?

LMAO.

They're taking the piss and don't even care anymore that everyone sees it.

4. headrush

I think in truth the name "Iran" in this article is a placeholder for any and every state capable of doing such nefarious work. Anyone seriously doubt that the US, UK, China, Russia, Israel, etc etc are not doing this kind of thing all the time?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

If everyone was doing this all the time, we'd all be having trouble filling up our cars, don't you think ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like