back to article Motorola's mid-range One Hyper packs 64MP cam, huge screen and – ooo – 'Quad Pixel' tech

Motorola has updated its mid-range lineup with the announcement of the Android 10-powered One Hyper. This handset is notable for several reasons, including the addition of a 64MP rear-facing camera, as well as a 32MP pop-up selfie shooter. The latter is similar to that on the Honor 9X, which we reviewed earlier this year. The …

1. mrmond

Can't actually order in the UK yet. I received a promo email this morning and looked at all the flashy info on their website, specs weren't exactly easy to find but much was made of the "fast" processor and great photography features.

After reading the article I think I'll pass which is a shame. I'm looking to upgrade from my Moto G5 which is looking very inferior these days.

1. KBeee
      Happy

I was in exactly the same spot as you with a Moto G5, so I checked around and ended up opting for a Moto G7+. Only £205 (and it came with a turbo charger unlike this model). Been very happy with it in the 2 or so months I've had it.

2. drand

Still here Moto

MyG5 is still doing the business. When it eventually has to be replaced I will miss the fingerprint reader navigation (the single biggest improvement in Android usability, for me) and the fact it's just about pocketable and operable with one of my small, girly hands.

2. Killfalcon Silver badge

"Just 4GB" of RAM?

What do modern phones do that could need more?

1. Warm Braw

What do modern phones do that could need more?

Compete on the basis of meaningless specs. It's what happen when "mid-range" has been redefined as £360 (by the time you add VAT, but before you add the foreigner surcharge).

2. tiggity Silver badge

Some games are very RAM intensive on phones and plenty of RAM means that if you minimise resource hungry app to do something else, when you try to resume it, it should be more more likely to resume from paused rather than restarting from scratch (as some games take a long time to start up so can be a PITA if it restarts).

So, yeah, games and multiple concurrently open apps.

3. IDoNotThinkSo

64MP? What's the diffraction limit for a lens that size?

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Precisely! Furthermore, what is the well depth of pixels that small. The tiny pixel size must have an impact on dynamic range.

My DSLR has a pretty good 24 Mpixel sensor, on lots more silicon real estate, and with much bigger lenses attached. There is a reason I get much better images with that kit than I get with my phone (despite Leica optics). Under bright sunlight the phone gets good results, but in low light the bigger optics and sensor rule. The phone is of course more compact, but what is the point of recording 64 Mpixels when you are most likely only going to view them on at best a 4K display, and probably just your phone.

1. Lazlo Woodbine

I get fairly decent low light images from my P20 with supposed Leica optics, definitely good enough for gigs and nights out where I either wouldn't be allowed a proper camera, or it would get in the way.

The main difference with a mirrorless or DSLR is the larger pixel size and decent lenses, that's why a phone will never replace an interchangeable lens camera, but the quality on a phone is good enough that there's really no point to most compact cameras these days

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

the quality on a phone is good enough that there's really no point to most compact cameras these days

Not sure why the downvotes because that's the real story. As is (far too) often quoted - the best camera for the job is the one you have with you. Before phone cameras I used to carry a disposable film camera around with me and the images were fine. Apart from the lack of decent flash, a typical phone camera produces images at least as good as and usually better than the images from those cameras.

A half-decent compact camera can still outperform many phone cameras in my opinion, but it's also true to say that few people would carry one with them everywhere while these days people do carry their phone everywhere.

Some very clever software goes into phone cameras these days to make up for their hardware deficiencies and given other constraints (a modern phone has to be "thin") it's always going to be easier to add pixels than to improve lenses, fit a larger sensor or a proper optical zoom. Those pixels can then be combined in creative ways to emulate better lenses or other things.

It's an interesting argument about larger pixels because while a typical SLR has physically larger pixel wells which can collect "more light", don't forget that these wells are overlayed with a colour filter which means that colour resolution is lower than luminance. If you bin four tiny phone pixels you effectively create one larger - genuinely RGBG - pixel. Ignoring the part played by the lens, you could argue that a 20Mpixel SLR has a (real) luminance resolution of 20Mpixels, but a colour resolution of only 5Mpixels while a 64Mpixel phone sensor which does 4:1 binning has a real luminance resolution of 16Mpixels, but a colour resolution of 16Mpixels too.

I'm definitely not of the persuasion that I should ditch my SLR, nor even my compact cameras, but over the last few years I have begun to be impressed with the images produced by phone cameras, though admittedly not from those which are in the price range I would consider for my next phone.

M.

1. Lazlo Woodbine

I'm guessing I garnered down votes for daring to mention a P20...

4. Arbuthnot the Magnificent

Or...

Touchscreen on my old Smart Ultra failed last week so I picked up a second-hand LG G3 on eBay for peanuts, one root and wipe and Lineage OS installation later I've got a nice phone. If you don't need / want Google bloat it's amazing how nicely older hardware runs.

5. jason 7

Quad pixel...

I think Sigma were using that 15+ years ago in their DSLR and compact cameras. Foveon?

Also iirc HTC did a 16MP to 4MP final cam on one of their smartphones 10 years ago. Ahhh HTC...those were the days.

1. Lazlo Woodbine

Re: Quad pixel...

Foveon sensors were very different, the pixels were stacked with the front ones receptive to blues, middle ones for green and the rear ones receptive to reds, so the overall pixel count was 3x the image dimensions.

CCTV cameras have used pixel binning in low light areas for about 10 years now, merging the coloured pixels, dropping the Low Pass filter, and switching to an IR sensitive mono image...

6. Bats

Is that 38 Hours before or after google repeatedly automatically turns on location services to report where you are?

7. RunawayLoop

What's the quality like?

I grabbed an Oppo Reno Z recently because of the stated 48MP camera however upon using it I find the image very blocky when I zoom in on a scene, so after my initial 'wow' I was quite disappointed. Anyone know if this is the case with this phone in terms of the image quality?

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Re: What's the quality like?

Forget about cell phone cameras working well. There's not much that can be done when you're pulling the photo through a 1 or 2 mm wide aperture. Some of the best looking cell phone sample photos are using "AI" to paint a best-guess of what textures are missing. These make very good first impressions until you notice that details are all wrong, then you can't unsee the flaws.

1. jason 7

Re: What's the quality like?

Then after that gnats chuff aperture you have a teeny tiny sensor.

Whilst pics from phones have improved massively anyone who is used to DSLR pixel-peeping will laugh big-time when smartphone pics are put under close scrutiny.

8. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

US radio?

LTE bands 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/28/66

That's a bit light on LTE bands for the US. At best it's a midrange T-Mobile phone. It might be a low-end phone for AT&T and Verizon, depending on the region. It looks like it won't work on Sprint (not that anyone cares).

The other problem is that it's Lenovo. I would make sure it works really well while it's in the store return policy range and then expect no improvements after that. The first Lenovo phone, the 2015 X Pure, was still shipping even after Lenovo cut the warranty repair budget and gave up trying to make VoLTE (an advertised feature) work.

9. Is It Me

I was looking through the specs as I am starting to think about replacing my Pixel 2, but it isn't IP rated and after I went swimming with my current phone by mistake I decided that I will only get ones rated to at least 1m for several minutes.

1. jason 7

Mistake or a little bit drunk at the time? ;-)

10. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

Motorola have always impressed me with their light touch upon Android's innards

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like