back to article Oil software exec pleads guilty to hacking charges

A top manager at a US software developer has avoided jail after pleading guilty to lifting password-protected files from the website of a business rival. Jay E. Leonard, 61, was sentenced to 12 months on probation and a fine of $2,500 after he confessed to misdemeanor hacking charges as part of a plea-bargaining agreement, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How is this hacking?

He probably used a known password, there is no skill involved here, there is no laborious hours spent analysing a system for weakness inherent to the code, and then constructing a hack to exploit that weakness.

If he used a key, it is not even breaking and entering. It is just unauthorised entry.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Off to Gitmo!

He hacked, why doesn't he face stiff penalties? Who does he know...? Oh, it's oil. Probably a friend of Dubya, then. My bad.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

heh

Extraordinarily light sentence in this case... and him being directly involved in the oil industry. If I believed in coincidences this would be one whopper or a coincidence. However since I don't and given the weak slap on the wrist this is, I'll have to say grumpy above me is spot on. Shocked? No. Astonished that those in power still think that no one will notice the huge discrepancy here? Yeah. But thus is life in what is still dubya's 'merica.

4. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Black Helicopters

He shouldn't have bragged about it

He should have just remained shtum about it. He could have then used the knowledge to his companies advantage by strangely and accurately "predicting" what the other company was up to.

Mind you, if a company are silly enough to put sensitive info on a web server, then they are partly to blame if its accessed. Isn't a web server designed to make data available?

5. g00p
    Stop

Gaaaahhh not again..

..completely incorrect, improper and unfair use of the term "hacking" :(

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like