back to article Bandwidth weirdness at TalkTalk has customers fuming at being denied on-demand I'm A Celeb

TalkTalk-using readers have contacted The Reg to say they are suffering decidedly odd bandwidth issues shutting off, or severely slowing, access to certain sites while leaving others working as normal. A thread started yesterday on TalkTalk's support forum showed users unable to access iPlayer, ITV Player, All4, My5 and Alexa …

1. Saruman the White Silver badge

Oh, what a surprise ...

... TalkTalk has a problem and is just a little slow to admit to it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Talk Talk?

Who's daft enough to go with Talk Talk?

1. 1752

Re: Talk Talk?

Hello, my name is anon, and I'm (sob sob), a Talk Talk customer...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hello, my name is revenant, and I'm a Nildram customer...

... traded on from one Co. to another, like a used car, until now I get my 'service' from TalkTalk.

Actually, I haven't bought into any of their streaming services, so I haven't been suffering of late.

Lucky me.

3. Martin an gof Silver badge

Some smaller ISPs resell TalkTalk in the same way that others resell Openreach. My small ISP, which I am otherwise quite happy with, does this.

Odd connectivity issues have been a problem for some time and very difficult to diagnose. Some websites seem to be affected while others are not, and those which are affected aren't always.

For example, last week I tried and failed to log in to my Amazon account even though I was able to browse and fill my basket quite happily beforehand. I had to re-do the order from scratch using my phone's connection. The week before, I had huge problems even loading up the front page of CPC which isn't normally an issue.

It seems to be an https issue - something goes wrong, data goes missing and the browser sits there for ages spinning away until eventually giving up, occasionally with some kind of 'secure connection failed' message.

Sometimes - only sometimes - clearing cookies gets things going, but only until the next time.

M.

4. Timmy B

"Who's daft enough to go with Talk Talk?"

Sadly anyone who doesn't know better. Your average person with little to no experience with a variety of ISPs who watches the adverts on TV and is most swayed by prices.

Still - they're not Virgin. Who did the best ever thing... I had to help a family member discover why their net had stopped working. It turned out that there had been an issue caused by their credit card company. So Virgin shit off their internet and access to their email. And told them - VIA EMAIL - why they had done it....

1. 0laf
        Thumb Up

"So Virgin shit off their internet and access to their email"

I think your error was quite accurate ;-)

Do Virgin still ask for your whole password before they will provide support?

2. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: So Virgin shit off their internet...

Your spellchecker / autocomplete preferences are showing.

5. gnarlymarley

Who's daft enough to go with Talk Talk?

Some of us in the USA only have access to one provider. This can be the case even for new housing construction. The options are to bring in a new provider for £10,000 or else suffer with a single provider. This is why you hear about individual cities trying to being in their own fiber, but then the city's fiber is a single provider again.

3. tip pc Silver badge
    WTF?

"A Reg reader experiencing the problems in Warwickshire noted that it was taking time for complaints to add up because of the strange, patchy way it was experienced by users"

i'm not sure any reg reader could possibly be on talk talk

1. Mad Chaz

they might be stuck doing support for a familly member who is however

4. Mark 85

Their response reminds of the line from Animal House during the panic by Kevin Bacon... "Remain calm, all is well!".

5. sbt
    Meh

"This has now been fully resolved."

Maybe I'm just getting too cynical in my dotage, but when they wheel this line out, I have trouble believing even the most capable and reliable of service providers. TalkTalk? No chance.

6. GreggS

Amazon link?

Could it also have something to do with Amazon starting to live stream the "footy"?

1. Corin

Re: Amazon link?

That could well explain the behaviour; if (for example) Talktalk have private peering to AWS and CloudFront then that link being at 100% might mean that Prime Video, Twitch and AWS-Hosted sites would be slow, while services hosted via other network links into TalkTalk would still be seemingly fine.

7. Lazlo Woodbine

"We are being treated like fools here"

Well duhhh, Talk Talk customer...

8. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
    Meh

One Twitter user, presumably with 4G

Presumably this is a sweepingly broad statement and is in no way true.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Look at the positives

Not being made to suffer I’m a Celebrity by another family member can only be a good thing?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Look at the positives

With a drink or 2 it can be watchable as background viewing while arguing with folks on twitter, this year is dire though. The format is tired.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like