back to article Amazon drops battery-powered Echo speaker so you can play Despacito on the go

Amazon today announced a new battery-powered version of its ubiquitous Echo speakers. The snappily named Echo Input Portable Smart Speaker Edition (which we'll henceforth referring to as EIPSSE because that's a mouthful) costs ₹5,999 (about £65/$85) and is an Indian exclusive. EIPSSE packs a 4,800mAh battery, which Amazon …

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Facepalm

Pain points

EIPSSE will address perhaps the biggest pain point with the current Echo lineup

So much more important than what happens to all that data…

2. upsidedowncreature

I thought the word "drops" in the headline meant they were stopping production, not introducing a new model.

1. LeahroyNake

Same here, Amazon releases may have been easier for us over 20 something year olds to understand.

I'm thinking dropping it would be the first thing I would do if one appeared in my house though since unplugging the the thing would probably still let it listen to me cooking the dinner or whatever :/

2. Peachpit

OK, Boomer - you obviously don't know that using a music industry slang term for introducing a product from two decades back in a vacuous attempt to appear current is SO much more important than communicating the facts in a clear manner. Also, can you spare $10? Your kind have ruined my ability to buy lunch because... yeah, you owe me!

1. upsidedowncreature

Boomer indeed, I'll have you know I'm Gen-X and proud of it. And consequently knackered.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

re: the word "drops" in the headline

Almost as bad as 'shutter' when 'closed' is just as good and one less character.

As for the word 'boomer'...

Perhaps putting a [insert explosive device of choice] under your chair might make people a bit less free with that Insult.

{We did make big bangs in Chemistry when I was at school}

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Whereupon...

> EIPSSE packs a 4,800mAh battery, which Amazon reckons will last for 10 hours of continuous music playback

Whereupon it will use your Amazon account to re-order batteries.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"10 hours of continuous music playback, or 11 hours on standby"

So, playing the music is just a bit more taxing than just listening to everything and sending that to the mothership, I see.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "10 hours of continuous music playback, or 11 hours on standby"

They had to make music playing power efficient. Imagine buying a spying device that didn't have the power to play music.

What do you think people are? Stupid?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Facepalm

Re: "What do you think people are? Stupid?"

Nah, they've all signed up for Prime so that they can watch the footie tonight.

Good luck cancelling it after Boxing Day.... :)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: "What do you think people are? Stupid?"

What is this "footie" thing you speak of?

5. Blockchain commentard

Won't the Indian authorities insist everything the Bezos-bot hears will have to be kept in India for them to listen to. You know, to find terrorists and other criminals.Not to suppress the masses though. Oh no. Not that at all.

1. Iamnumpty

India is not America

I really doubt terrorists in India are so keen to buy a music Subscription to listen on Echo or have a smart home devices.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Potable Alexa.

Looking forward to seeing these stuck in ceilings above public toilets. At least there Alexa's intelligence will have finally met it's greatest rival... shit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Potable Alexa.

"Potable Alexa."

I didn't know you could drink it.

7. F. Svenson

Um.....

I have a pair of Echo Tap units, they must have been delivered via a wormhole from the future.

The tap originally required pushing a button to give commands (hence "tap") but a software update allows it to listen at the expense of battery life. It's a great product that was seemingly discontinued for no reason. It still is a second-class citizen in the alexa ecosystem as you cannot use it to communicate or send/receive an announcement.

Either way, your research team needs a kick in the ghoulies on this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Tap-Portable-wireless-Bluetooth-Speaker-with-WiFi-Alexa/dp/B01BH83OOM

8. Captain Hogwash

I just searched for 'Despacito'

Do I need to hear it? Anyone know why it was referenced in the headline? I'm guessing it doesn't have much in common with 1970s German electronic music.

1. O RLY

Re: I just searched for 'Despacito'

There's a meme on the interwebs: "This is so sad. Alexa, play despacito."

It usually appears without punctuation or capitalisation.

9. Iamnumpty

Wonder why India exclusive?

Is it because electricity supply is erratic in most of the India so one could run Echo on batteries. Oh great now consumers just need to figure out how to power router. They could tether it through phones.

10. WolfFan Silver badge

The Raj returns

Time for a second Sepoy Rebellion. Perhaps they could entice Bezos to visit and stick him in a newer, less spacious, Black Hole of Calcutta. And leave him there.

11. Gordon861

Why?

My first thought when I saw a battery powered echo was WHY?

Surely most places you are going to use this you will already have access to power or your mobile phone can do everything this can do already. If you do want to use your Echo outside, but why not just plug it into a 10k mA power pack? Or just use a regular bluetooth speaker and slave it to your phone.

So again, what is the point of this?

12. D@v3

portability

But surely, if you have an Echo in every room of the house like you're supposed to, why would you need one to be portable?

1. Anonymous John

Re: portability

Garden? Bathroom? Toilet? "Alexa. Order twenty toilet rolls."

13. F. Svenson

Why a portable echo?

It seems that commenters here do not understand the possible use-cases of a portable echo. Let me see if I can help here.

1. The Tap has a friction cradle, so there is no plugging/unplugging. If you elect for the "listen for wake word" option, when it is not being used as a portable it behaves like a normal echo, but with far superior sound quality to the Dot. Since there is no way to transfer playback of a stream, it's quite nice to pick up and carry the Tap to continue listening to a podcast in another room (that might even have an echo of it's own).

2. Porch/patio. When going to spend time outside, the tap is convenient, as long as it is in wifi range. Because weather, it is not possible to leave a wired unit outside at all times.

3. It's a great bluetooth speaker as well.

4. When you are OK with others putting music on, it's a lot better than unlocking and handing someone your phone.

5. It's great for parties. When we use a community center for a kid's party, we bring the Tap and set a phone up as a hotspot. The little kids are familiar with how to use the Tap and it allows them to choose their own entertainment.

6. It sounds good. IMHO, the tap has a better sound than my 1st gen Echo (fullsize).

7. It works when the power is out. A moderate sized UPS can keep the wireless and internet up for 24+ hours. The Tap happily chugs along in non-listen mode for at least 10 hours.

8. If you are paranoid about having an echo listening all the time, the Tap is a great compromise. Push-to-use eliminates that feeling of being spied upon.

9. Vacation. Tap + hotspot = music on the beach

10. Small flats. Our second Tap is used by my MIL. Her apartment is quite small and she prefers keeping the Tap close to her at a low volume so that her neighbors don't complain.

Since it is apparent that most of the commenters are either too young to have owned a boombox, too affluent to have been limited to a single device, or too permanently glued to their phones to understand the concept of not using it for something, I doubt this will advance the conversation. It is nice to occasionally point out to those unable to understand that others may have requirements different from their own, that other people do in fact exist, and have their own preferences and modalities for technology usage (and that nobody requires the approval of the diaper-and-tide-pod cohort).

-OK X-er

14. baka

I really love my amazon tap, thank you Woot!

Glad this is being created. There's a lot of cool BT speakers out there, but the ability to tell my speakers to play from Spotify instead of doing it via phone is kind of nice.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Battery base..

Just ordered the battery base for the 3rd gen Echo Dot, the cheaper encapsulation one, not the more expensive "belt clip" looking one....

16. G R Goslin

Of course...

.... you could always buy the 'Dox', or similar, and pop your existing Dot into it. For less.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like