back to article EU gets a bit STRESSED out about 5G: With great economic benefits come great security risks

The Council of the European Union has warned member states that the introduction of 5G networks poses increased security risks while also bringing economic and infrastructure benefits. There's no specific mention of Huawei or any other Chinese company in the carefully worded missive (PDF), but it does make several …

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Stop Shouting

THE FIRST RULE WHEN STRESSED OUT IS NOT TO SHOUT BY USING CAPITAL LETTERS......

Of course 5G will bring about a new wave of security risks, but then everything new in the last 15 years has brought about security risks. The difference nowadays is that we have experience and we now accept that risk is not "if" but "when". This means that we can do a modicum of planning, preparation and hopefully some testing.... None of this is new.....

Personally if they can really bring a serious bit rate to the market, without being maxed out every time you enter the city center, then I believe that 5G will bring about more good than bad... It might even alleviate some of the FTTH false promises....

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Stop Shouting

"Whut??!!"

"THEY SAID 'DON'T SHOUT WHEN YOU ARE STRESSED', HAMISH"

"Who are they calling a pest?"

I'd better be going. The one with "The Last Hero" in the pocket

2. vtcodger Silver badge

Not to worry. 6G will sort out all the problems brought on by 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G, FTTH, Starlink, etc, etc. And if it misses a few, there's always 7G or 8G.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Which version of 6G ?

The secret version that works great but is not ready commercially for the markets ?

The version 2 that is even better than v1 but that the ecologists are convinced could fry a fly dressed in a lead suit at 4kms.

The version 3 that the consortium can't seem to agree upon the mystery protocol's finer elements.

The version 4 that was written, completed, tested and implemented by a non-American country and is therefore on the FBI/CIA's list of undesirable/possibily terrorist hit list.

Or the version 5 which is basically 3G in a shiny wrapper, hated by all, costs and arm and a leg each month, requires a new 2000€ UltraPhone, and who network is so saturated that only Londoners consider it as usable?

Sarcastic, who me ??

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Londoners"?!?

I think you mean 5 %ers.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

CAPS is emphasis for shouting then you have to say shouting

Well in English anyway, so you are not reading it right

2. Tromos

"...rule of law, protection of privacy, personal data and intellectual property..."

Well, that rules out any USA involvement.

3. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

RFC 2119

I wonder if they're doing an RFC 2119 thing and that they originally wrote a "when written in CAPITAL letters, we are using the following words in the following sense" type of thing, but then forgot to include it in the document. I'd have thought that doing so wouldn't be OPTIONAL, if you're following those guidelines?

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: RFC 2119

I'd have thought that doing so wouldn't be OPTIONAL, if you're following those guidelines?

With words like " "WELCOME", "EMPHASISE", "REAFFIRM" and "STRESS" it all reads like a typical political "Me Too" kind of response, rather than giving any actual direction. Just someone wanting to be seen doing something.

4. Peter D

My poor kitty

European governments are so shortsighted. With no warning the internet of things could come grinding to a halt at the behest of the Chinese. Across the land remotely controlled cat scratchers will cease to function properly and could, in a fully kitted out house, take part in the preparation of a wholly unacceptable meal involving my poor kitty in a tragically central role.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Re: My poor kitty

"... grinding to a halt at the behest of the Chinese your state actor of choice, or any serious criminal group..."

FTFY

1. Stork Silver badge

"... grinding to a halt at the behest of the your state actor of choice, or any other serious criminal group...

FTFY

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"... grinding to a halt at the behest of the Chinese your state actor of choice, or any serious criminal group..."

No no no....WE are the good guys, it's just the OTHERS that are bad.

Remaining anonymous - fill in WE and OTHERS to match your beliefs/hopes/misplaced trust

1. Peter D

The only thing that matters here is which of these state actors eats or condones the eating of cats.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Climate change will result in a lot more cats being eaten...

5. JohnFen

Not so sure

I'm not so sure that the claims that 5G will bring great economic benefits are at all well-founded.

1. fajensen

Re: Not so sure

Doesn't say who exactly benefits economically so I'd wager it's a solid enough claim.

1. JohnFen

Re: Not so sure

Good point, but they strongly imply widespread economic benefits, not just benefits to the telecoms and equipment manufacturers.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Once again no mention the relationship between 5G and IPv6.....

.....so that, over time, application providers (and GOVERNMENTS) will REQUIRE EVERY device on the internet to have a REGISTERED IPv6 address.

You thought PRIVACY problems were bad with IPv4 and NAT. Just wait.........

7. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Holmes

Comfortable Words

What's a 'Stakeholder' ? I seem to remember poor old Blair banging on about them, but he never explained very well.

Plus like all his successors in the post, he had a large proportion of Horatio Bottomley in him, which militated people from either listening carefully or taking him seriously.

1. ThatOne Silver badge

Re: Comfortable Words

> What's a 'Stakeholder' ?

Vampire hunter?

2. fajensen
      Gimp

Re: Comfortable Words

In current management parlance:

A 'stakeholder' is 'person designated to be ending up holding up a long greased pole with their rectum'.

This can be reversible or irreversible, someone having the option of getting off the pole for a fee, is a 'client' or 'customer', someone renting a wobbly chair to postpone the grisly end is a 'subscriber', the irreversible insertions are found amongst 'employee', 'taxpayer' and 'investor' categories.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Depends what sort of security they are talking about

The opportunities for increased state surveillance with 5G are immense.

And I don't mean the Russians / Chinese / N Korea / Iran / other foreign boogie man of the day.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like