back to article Larry leaves, Sergey splits: Google lads hand over Alphabet reins to Sundar Pichai

The co-founders of Google, Larry Page and Sergey Brin, have announced they are stepping down from their respective CEO and president roles of parent company Alphabet – and handing over to Google's current CEO Sundar Pichai. “We’ve never been ones to hold on to management roles when we think there’s a better way to run the …

1. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

*wipes tear from eye*

2. Il'Geller
    1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Considering that- almost without exception- everything you post (#) is an espousal of your crank views on AI at odds with Google and other similar large players, this can't *not* be a reference to that.

I know I really, *really* shouldn't start you off(!), but curiosity is going to kill the cat- I'm genuinely curious as to how (in your head) you believe this has any connection to your work or how it counts as a "win" for you....!

(#) And here for older stuff going back years.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Angel

Profoundly banal

"We are deeply humbled to have seen a small research project develop into a source of knowledge and empowerment for billions"

These blokes genuinely created a thing ... a bloody big thing. What a crass, shit, spineless, wanky, twatless, knobless, fucked up, fucked down, unexceptional way of describing their departure. Colour me a lot of very, very nondescript grey and boring adjectives grade: unimpressed.

"do no evil" wandered off and was grabbed by the throat, thrown on the ground and a bullet put between its pleading eyes a while back. That is when these herberts struck their colours. Before that point might have been the time to retire from their creation, which had outgrown them, rich beyond belief, yet still able to cling to being cool and an example.

Oh well.

1. Mark 85

Re: Profoundly banal

Well, they're leaving won't change a thing other than occasionally going out back to the body of "do no evil" and shooting it a few more times and maybe a stake through it's heart just to be sure.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Big Brother

Do you remember watching Bambi the first time? Specifically the scene at the waterfall. That was over 40 years ago for me and yet it still strikes a chord.

Now, Brin and Sergei didn't even bother with a green vanity hide when they donned green steel toe-capped wellies and put the boot in.

2. TheITDude

I would say that the current state of "now be serious real evil" is a reflects them 2 giving too much leash and handing it over to ordianry moneymakers who squeze it out to the max for shareholders benefits and dump staff opinions and rights as well as and customers aka victims.

If the cool rebellion teenager have had to mature now to a strong slave driver with the whip in his hands, whipping all the poor staff who were foooled by a vision, then let it be ....

2. Draco
      Windows

Herberts?

Methinks someone's seen Star Trek's "The Way Too Eden" once too many times - and that could be me.

3. Mage Silver badge
      Devil

Re: "do no evil" wandered off

So what's the 3rd one of the trio doing, the one that bootstrapped it with his money and management expertise?

The guy that says teens should get a new ID when they become adults.

He hardly ever gets mentioned.

Eric Schmidt

Hasn't Eric always been in control?

Have the other pair done much other than create the search engine?

Alphabet/Google has developed less than you'd think.

"This incomplete list is frequently updated to include new information."

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Just a second

"We’ve never been ones to hold on to management roles when we think there’s a better way to run the company someone who can make even more money - and we're a bit tired of counting our billions"

There, FTFY.

5. jake Silver badge

Has anybody checked the shaft logs[0] for leaks?

Why do I ask? Well, something is causing the rats to abandon ship ...

[0] Some of all y'all might call 'em "stuffing boxes", do with that what you will.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Has anybody checked the shaft logs[0] for leaks?

You mean the Zumwalt's design engineers are now working for Alphabet? Should have used Crane packing instead of Cutless on the server farms?

6. SVV

develop into a source of knowledge and empowerment for billions

Yeah : billions of dollars.

You can leave comfortable in the knowledge that whoever uses your search engine to search for information, no matter where they are or what they are interested in, will always be able to find an unending list of shopping websites where they can buy something possibly related to it. As for actual information, well the wikipedia entry is still just about on the first page of results most times.

1. mr-slappy

Re: develop into a source of knowledge and empowerment for billions

"...an unending list of shopping websites where they can buy something possibly related to it"

amazon.co.uk/...

amazon.co.uk/...

amazon.co.uk/...

amazon.com/...

amazon.co.uk/...

amazon.co.uk/...

amazon.co.uk/...

ebay.com/...

amazon.co.uk/...

ebay.com/...

amazon.co.uk/...

< repeat for 5-6 pages >

an-actual-shop-actually-selling-it-cheaper-with-knowledgeable-staff.com/...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, I do remember when they were still cool and Google was just a search engine which worked astonishingly well (compared to others). A pity nobody knew the monster it would grow to become.

They clearly realized it themselves, way before anyone else: Who else would have a motto "Don't be evil" but somebody who needs a constant reminder to not yield to the Dark Side? But a simple motto was clearly not compelling enough: The world saw the rise of Darth Page and Darth Brin and their invincible Death Star...

1. doublelayer Silver badge

I remember a science fiction short story I read in the early-to-mid 2000s where the world was set upon by a bunch of disasters and the main surviving connection was between bunches of datacenters with working backup comms and power. Google was one of the primary sources for information, connection, and community while the world got back on its feet, and I found that reasonable characterization for the scenario (at the time). I don't know if I've ever had my opinions of another company, person, or concept change so radically. Nostalgia's fun sometimes, isn't it?

Update: I found the story I was talking about.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Update: I found the story I was talking about."

Did you google it?

2. Skwosh

... if the company were a person "it would be a young adult of 21 ..."

It is a long long time ago since Google was a fresh faced young adult of 21.

Today, if Google were a person, it would be more of a grabby uncle with a creepy smile, bad teeth and a string of previous convictions.

I'm thinking Sir Les Patterson equipped with an extensive network of advanced surveillance technology.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unusual Change -- Just take a look around......

Larry Ellison is worth billions....and can't walk away.

Bill Gates was worth billions for twenty years before his wife DRAGGED him away.

Go back a few years....take a look at the biography of Julius Drewe. He was worth serious money and he RETIRED at thirty three. I've always admired his detachment from the business that he and a partner founded and built.

So........am I likely to admire Sergei and Larry in the coming years (for the same reasons I admire Julius Drewe)? Let's wait and see.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Unusual Change -- Just take a look around......

Whoever wins the next election the bosses of silicon valley are going to be dragged through years of congress hearing and inquiries - who needs that? Just appoint some other guy to do it.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"He was worth serious money and he RETIRED at thirty three."

The National Trust could have done with some of that serious money or wished it had been spent a little more carefully. Castle Drogo must have cost them a fortune fixing its leaks.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Doctor_Syntax

Well.....The National Trust might do better looking to the heirs of Sir Edwin Lutyens....the architect is usually more responsible for long term water penetration....rather than the architect's customer.

Just saying!

9. deadlockvictim

Executive Quits Fast Track To Spend More Time With Possessions

The Onion comes to mind here: https://www.theonion.com/executive-quits-fast-track-to-spend-more-time-with-poss-1819565527

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It’s impossible to overstate Larry and Sergey’s contributions over the past 21 years

painfully true, as it turns out AD 2019.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd say good riddance

but the only thing I hear is that Life of Brian quote: "Worse?! Worse?! How can it be made WORSE?!" I bet we ain't seen worst yet...

12. Rich 11

Cast into the memory hole

Thanks to them, we have a timeless mission, enduring values, and a culture of collaboration and exploration.

Timeless mission and enduring values? 'Don't be evil' didn't exactly endure. And while they may have started off with a culture of collaboration and exploration, it quickly turned into monopolisation and exploitation.

Maybe Pichai should have done a bit of a search before writing that. Or maybe he did and Google showed him the results it thought he needed to see.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Cast into the memory hole

The "Closing things down" value seems to have endured.

2. BlueTemplar

Re: Cast into the memory hole

Just wait until they shut down Google Books and delete its 25M archive...

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/04/the-tragedy-of-google-books/523320/

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So long and thanks for all the private data.

14. FuzzyWuzzys

Google will a Yahoo within 20 years

The problem is that these things worked because of one thing, the vision and drive of the people who started it. The minute you handover a company to someone who only ever sees dollar signs, you can almost bet that that company will be dead in the water within 15 years.

Serge and Brin, whom I think are utter ratbags, but they drove Google, made it into what it is. Jobs and Ive ( and Woz obviously in the early days ), they made Apple into what it is now, Tim Cook is a spineless wally who is just coasting along on what those others have done. Larry Ellison, Gates, Balmer, they all drove the companies they set up but once they start to step back those companies are taken over by commitees of money-men and women, you never achieve anything revolutionary by committee.

Mark my words, Google will be a Yahoo in 20 years time and something else will have stepped in to take over....

1. Mage Silver badge
      Windows

Re: Google will a Yahoo within 20 years

Maybe when Eric is dead. He must be about 65. He's always been the hand on the tiller.

15. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

When did Google (Alphabet) become evil?

So when exactly did Google become evil? Is it when advertising became the big revenue, and advertising corrupts? Is it because of the lies advertising and propaganda spread, and Google's (and Facebook, etc) revenue now depend on that? Is it because when you are funded by advertising you don't have to have good products anymore because that is not where your revenue comes from? Is it because the majority of people want to have the bad beliefs propped up by the lies that can be propagated on these platforms?

16. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Yes, yes... they are the Antichrist.

I know, I know... utterly evil as you've all said, but I do still like their Maps and Earth products.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like