back to article Go champion retires after losing to AI, Richard Nixon deepfake gives a different kind of Moon-landing speech...

Welcome to an early edition of this week's AI news summary, brought forward as some of us are away for Thanksgiving... How ML algorithms power a surveillance state in Xinjiang: We don't need the long-promised artificial general intelligence in order for the technology to pose a threat to human lives. Just look at what's …

1. A K Stiles

glitchy

There are some odd video artefacts, particularly towards the end was what stood out most to me, along with a sort of 'autotune' quality to the speech that didn't sound right. Not sure how it compares to the original footage of the real moon landing speech though.

1. Sgt_Oddball

Re: glitchy

Welcome to the uncanny Valley. Enjoy your stay...

I do wonder though how long before we go past the uncanny valley and things look convincing that there isn't some sense of wrongness about these things.

1. EBG

Yeh,...

we're just one step away from these fakes being indistinguishable from the real thing. Whether that is one small step or a giant leap, we shall see.

1. Tom 7

Re: Yeh,...

It wont be that far off.

2. KittenHuffer Silver badge

I think that if that were shown to a large number of people who didn't know that it was a deepfake that more than 99% of them would accept it as real.

The odd video artifacts would just be put down to the technology that was used to record the image back in 1969.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

The voice sounds awful though. And Nixon had a really distinctive voice. Deep with odd over-emphasis on certain syllables. Hence the famous quote, "there'll be no whhhitewhhashh at the Whhitehouse."

But some of that poor quality might be put down to rubbishy microphones and recordings.

3. simonlb Silver badge

It still sounds more honest and trustworthy than Boris Johnson though.

1. genghis_uk

For completeness...

Other dishonest and untrusworthy political party leaders are also available

1. Fatman

Re: Other dishonest and untrusworthy political party leaders

I nominate the current occupant of the White House to that `club`.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

I think the difference is that Tricky Dicky knew he was lying

1. Persona

I've always though that being able to lie "convincingly" was the most vital skill for political leaders.

2. Danny 2

I'm beginning to think this might be a deep fake.

2. DiViDeD

Re: Other dishonest and untrusworthy political party leaders are also available

+1 for the Brexitcast reference - deliberate or no.

4. Tom 7

Even live TV has bucket loads of artefacts these days.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

potentially radical

"but you can imagine it might narrow in on certain features that the Chinese government have deemed potentially radical, like wearing a burqa, going to mosques too frequently, or watching forbidden videos".

Bit like living in the USA, UK and Israel (among too many others to list) then, but don't worry. I'm sure the UK et al will do their best to be "Not left behind" (TM) or "be a world leader" (TM) in the science of "stamping on a human throat forever".

1. DavCrav

Re: potentially radical

"Bit like living in the USA, UK and Israel (among too many others to list) then, but don't worry."

Do you have the GPS co-ordinates of the million-strong Muslim concentration camp in the UK?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

52.4862° N, 1.8904° W

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I feel sorry for you if you hate your life so much that you think UK comparable to Communist China for Human Rights.

I feel even sorrier that you got upvoted.

Whataboutism just gives succor for dictators who take pleasure from useful idiots

When I look around the world for all UK problems with homelessness etc I feel blessed to be born in Britain.

1. Harry Stottle

@ Chris the BeanCounter

And you, Mr Bean Counter, are guilty of complacency (at best), or ignorance.

Are the UKUSA authoritarians likely to attempt massive incarcarations and torture based "re-education"? No. But they're certainly guilty of and heavily invested in the technological infrastructure which makes that shit possible. It's already far more intrusive and pervasive than anything dreamed of by the Stasi.

Their use of it will, for the time being at least, and in deference to the freeer press, be somewhat more surgical than the fucktards we're watching in China..The intimate details they are stockpiling on all citizens are already selectively mined and used to persecute the more troublesome dissidents; the ones who might make the more docile citizens sit up and take notice of what is being done in their name.

Of course, if the current woolly generations of politicians are replaced by more aggressive authoritarians, like those we see in Hungary or Poland, the infrastructure will already be in place to weaponise the jackboot version.

I strongly recommend "The Age of Surveillance Capitalism" by Shoshana Zuboff. It's the best researched history of what's been going on "in our name" for the past 20 years and, if it doesn't activate your opposition, I suspect you're probably already terminal.

1. Nightkiller

Re: @ Chris the BeanCounter

You forgot George Soros in your list of authoritarians.

2. Robert Grant

But they're certainly guilty of and heavily invested in the technological infrastructure which makes that shit possible. It's already far more intrusive and pervasive than anything dreamed of by the Stasi.

Presence of technology doesn't imply usage. We also have nukes, only dreamt of by the Nazis, which make much worse things possible. Had them for 70 years.

1. Rich 11

Presence of technology doesn't imply usage.

We have used nukes. Not to kill anyone (well, not directly) but to threaten to kill. That's the intended purpose of nuclear weapons; if they were actually used to kill then they would have failed in their purpose. That's MAD for you.

1. Charles 9

Then what happens when someone comes along who thinks MAD is a winning scenario?

1. Rich 11

That's why Mike Pence needs to be impeached alongside his boss. We don't want him to have the wrong sort of come-to-Jesus moment.

2. Zolko Silver badge

@Chris the bean counter : "I feel sorry for you if you hate your life so much that you think UK comparable to Communist China for Human Rights

How many Uïgours have died because of the Chinese Communist Party ?

How many Iraqis have died because of the UK political rulers ?

Same question with NATO or USA and Libya, Syria, Afghanistan... ?

From the Human rights perspective, the UK, USA and NATO are the worst offenders on Earth in our current times, way before Russia or China. That you're not able to see it is the worrying part here.

3. Tom 7

My Gran used to write copper plate with her right hand despite being left handed. Her left hand was badly scarred from the beatings it took when it picked up the pen to write. Welsh was banned from being spoken for a while and legally only came back in 1992.

China stinks but we have barely moved on from them.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Exaggeration much?

Of course, not too much, to give you some credit....

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Terminator

"They could also add a fighting element. Then we'll see who's really better."

You make THAT post, under THAT icon? Go computers don't know pity or mercy, and they absolutely will not stop - ever - until both players pass in succession.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "They could also add a fighting element. Then we'll see who's really better."

Maybe the poster is an AI trying to lull us into a false sense of security

2. LewisRage

Re: AI Go.

They build the computer to match the game*, if you ask them to build a computer that'll win at chess boxing they will, and then we're truely fucked. I'm already pretty scared of the demonstrations coming out of boston dynamics frankly.

*I realise that's a bit of a simplification.

3. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: AI Go. @Symon

"They could also add a fighting element to the game, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing . Then we'll see who's really better."

Perhaps something in the vein of Archon or the sequel Archon II: Adept?

4. Nick Gisburne

New rules - you have to present your legal birth certificate for ID, shake hands with your opponent, and sit on a standard-sized chair at the game table, where you will be required to physically move your pieces without outside assistance. That should stop the robots competing... for at least a couple of months.

But seriously, why is he giving up because an 'entity' can beat him? The fastest female sprinter doesn't stop competing just because she will never beat the fastest male, who himself will never beat the fastest greyhound. You compete like for like, to be the best in your field. In Go, this man is the best HUMAN Go player.

1. holmegm

"But seriously, why is he giving up because an 'entity' can beat him? The fastest female sprinter doesn't stop competing just because she will never beat the fastest male, who himself will never beat the fastest greyhound. You compete like for like, to be the best in your field. In Go, this man is the best HUMAN Go player."

Yeah, it's odd.

Nobody spells better than a dictionary, but we still have spelling bees.

1. Charles 9

Not really. It's probably not FUN anymore. And if it ain't fun, what's the damn point?

2. Aussie Doc
          Boffin

Yeah, but some of those bees are pretty smart. Safety gear on --->

2. jgarbo
        Unhappy

And no more swimming. Dolphins are faster. I retire...

3. Danny 2

I gave up being civilised when Civilization 3 beat me.

5. Zolko Silver badge

"The Go machine should have to get to the tournament by itself, and then play the game using ~20 watts for the processing CPU"

yes, I've thought about that too: they should be self-powered, recognise the board with their own cameras, and put/move the stones themselves. I'd wonder if they still beat humans in such a setup.

1. Tom 7

But humans need 200 watts to keep running so perhaps we should cut brains out and they can fight it out on the 20w limit,

1. John H Woods Silver badge

200W seems a bit high, you'd need over 4000 kcal/day to sustain that.

1 MET*, at normal rest, is about 1.16 W/kg: I think you might get to 1.5METs (140W for an 80kg person) by thinking hard but I doubt you could break 2.0 without a lot of fidgeting (be an interesting experiment though!).

* Metabolic Equivalent of Task

4. stuartnz

Poor PR people

"Congratulations if you can name all countries and regions of origin: I couldn't!" Really? It wasn't even difficult, though I did have to think for a moment or two to place Hausa. I feel a bit sorry for press droids who have to spout patter like that, playing dumb in an effort to talk up some new product or service. The chances that she really didn't know seems lower than my chances of being elected Queen of North Korea.

1. Lazlo Woodbine

Re: Poor PR people

Firstly, Julien is a male name, so it would be he, not she, but as always, best to use they to avoid mistakes.

Secondly, I'm afraid your sense of superiority is showing, most people would not know where Hausa is spoken...

1. Reader2435

He's trying to get a job on Fun With Flags, presented by Sheldon Cooper.

2. DavCrav

"Firstly, Julien is a male name, so it would be he, not she, but as always, best to use they to avoid mistakes."

First, not firstly. And that's a run-on sentence.

Are you doing this on every article? That's two in 24 hours.

1. Lazlo Woodbine

Firstly is a more formal way to introduce the first point, so thanks for showing your ignorance of English grammar.

Secondly, I'll happily point out wherever someone mis-genders a person thank you very much, especially when it specifically mentions the person's gender in the article...

1. DavCrav

"Firstly is a more formal way to introduce the first point, so thanks for showing your ignorance of English grammar."

Firstly is not more formal. Indeed, I used to use this, but was discouraged from writing firstly by the copyeditors of the books and articles I have published over the years. Maybe they were all wrong...

I also just think it's a bit of a sad existence to hunt the Register forums looking for someone who accidentally used the wrong pronoun.

Zerothly would be the formal way to introduce the first point

2. stuartnz

I'd like to thank you for reminding me to use the epicene "they". It's actually my pronoun of choice, and in days gone by I used to advocate for it with "someone's WRONG on the internet" kind of zeal. My lapse in my first post was sloppy, and out of character. Thanks.

2. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

I couldn't place a lot of them, but I guessed at various parts of Africa... which was about right. Plus various Persian derivatives.

But being able to identify countries that speak various less-common languages doesn't seem like a normal requirement for a PR role, so I'm not sure what your point its. Other than as a bit of willy-waving. Bravo for that.

1. stuartnz

Languages are my hobby and I enjoy learning about them. I'm no expert, just a passionate dilettante (possibly an oxymoron).When I see content relating to a subject I love learning and talking about, I post in response, as do other readers here when the subject matter is one they either know a lot about or are deeply interested in, or both. I also genuinely find it unlikely that the PR department did not have information on the primary location and L1 speaker population of each of those languages. Having that information available to use in pitching or promoting the service would seem to be a normal requirement for a PR role, to me.

1. LewisRage

The irony in claiming above average knowledge of languages and demonstrating a below average ability to use them

5. imanidiot Silver badge
    Trollface

Nixon speech

Let's see how long it takes for the hoaxers to come out of the woodworks to claim: "See, they prerecorded even the failure speech, it was all fake".

1. Charles 9

Re: Nixon speech

Just start going, "No, the the recording of the fake is a fake. Meaning everything's a fake of a fake of a fake of a fake ad nauseum. In which case, is all of reality fake?" Answering that will force them to decide on all of reality, one way or the other.

1. hopkinse

Re: Nixon speech

It's the mice, I tell you, it's the mice...

Frankie: Hey Benjy, this is getting pretty boring. The Humans don't seem to be any closer to the Answer. Shall we have some fun?

Benjy: How paranoid can we make them?

6. sorry, what?
    Joke

Didn't sound at all like Nixon... and I know...

I've listened to loads of what he has to say... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDTiZoWWvG8

7. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Meh

Crackles

Doesn't seem to be a deepfake if one just hires an actor to read out words to be recorded: which was possible in 1900 AD.

"And now, the Last Message to the Empire, recorded days before her passing by our late most Gracious Queen, wishing all a Happy Christmas and an excellent New Year."

And if a machine defeats a champion in any game, he's still the champion since a machine has no knowledge of what's it's doing; lacking both motivation and sentience.

8. herman
    Thumb Down

Forest Gump

Old hat really. Kennedy's face was manipulated for his interaction with Forest Gump.

9. OGShakes

Faking it

I wonder how long till someone makes a tool to face normal people being on a vid conference, it would save me about 4 hours a day of pointless meetings....

Re: Faking it

What happens if both sides in the meeting are doing this ?

Perhaps that's what has stopped the robot uprising - all the terminators are in all-hands meetings being updated on new leveraged synergies

10. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Beaten by a machine

I have given up on my marathon running after being beaten by a bicycle

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Beaten by a machine

I have given up on my marathon running after being beaten by a bicycle

I would too if I got punched that bad by a bicycle while running.

/coat

11. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

If this is peak DeepFake (PeakFake?), I'm not worried. 2 hours in an editing booth would have this knocked out, AI or no AI.

To me, DeepFakes become worrying when they're indistinguishable not only by humans but also by machines trained to analyse fakery. We're a couple years off that point.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

No, Deep Fake is worrying when any fsktard with 30 seconds spare can generate them.

A bit like drones in that respect, old school RC planes and helicopters took skill and experience to master, new drones can be used by any moron (and some are).

12. Joe Gurman

Can't imagine....

....why the clever folks didn't have Nixon admitting, "Yes, I am a crook." Trump might have believed it, and followed suit.

13. Aussie Doc
    Coat

So...

There AI Go, then?

Sorry, I'll grab my coat on the way out.

14. SVV

World's best Go player retires after losing to AI

Going...... Going.......... Gone!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like