back to article Not to Nokia, but someone's seeking a third Huawei: Openreach hunts supplier number 3 for UK's FTTP network

BT's pipe-laying division Openreach is looking to further dilute its reliance on Huawei by issuing a tender seeking an additional infrastructure supplier to help build an FTTP broadband network. The Register understands that Openreach will later this week issue a Pre-Qualification Tender for a third FTTP vendor: Huawei and …

1. iron Silver badge

I wonder what they'll make of a request to install FTTP with no Cisco kit involved anywhere from premises to ISP?

They could make it a special package... NSA Free Fibre

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Will the inspection of Huawei code be extended to Cisco products? If not why not?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Because the Huawei code came from Cisco in the first place so there is no point checking it twice?

1. Fatman
          Joke

RE: there is no point checking it twice?

Actually, one should.

You might find out how the Huawei engineers found, and disabled the embedded NSA spying code.

2. Pier Reviewer

HCSEC was the price of doing business in the UK for Huawei. It was probably worth it for them. Plus it helps them improve their products.

Cisco already well into the UK. They’ll never pony up their code as they don’t need to and can’t be forced to.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Cisco may struggle to provide a FTTP solution - they've focussed on DOCSIS cable rather than the technologies Openreach are using for FTTH as far as I can tell.

Cisco may have a suitable CPE device, but they tend to be targeted at the US market where the telco is looking to screw the customer via equipment rental charges rather than the minimal charges levied by European providers.

And as the NSA (well FiveEyes) tends to deal with aggregation points rather than end nodes, I'm not sure it will make a lot of difference anyway. And on the law enforcement (RIPA) side, that tends to be handled at the service provider level.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Those Equipment Rental Charges Driv me Crazy

I tried ordering an ATT service a few weeks ago. It cost $65 for a 76MB connection and I expect regulatory charges. Then at the end of the signup I saw an additional rental charge of $10 for a Wifi Gateway. I dont need a Gateway or Wifi device I use a Firebox with a Cisco WLC which manages about 4 access points. So I asked for a modem and for the gateway to be removed. Not possible they said. I have to order and pay for the rental device which I do not need. So I cancelled the order.

The funny thing is I may have paid $75 for the service if that is what it was advertised for if they never tried to shaft me with the rental charges. They also do not offer an option for me to purchase the WIFI gateway outright.

Land of the FREE (to be constantly shafted by telcos)_

3. EnviableOne

wont be Cisco they dont even feature in fibre infrastructure market

probably be ericson or an outside chance of samsung

2. Delta Oscar

Xray Juliet

.........£33bn (at least presently)? .......and that is £11bn over budget? Small beer as HS2 comes to mind at £82bn (and counting) with FTTP benefiting far more people - or am I missing something?! Never mind whose money it is. Wherever the money comes from, my vote is for FTTP.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like