back to article Amazon straightens up its IoT house, complete with virtual Alexa, ahead of Las Vegas shindig

AWS has unveiled a flurry of updates to its IoT platform, including secure tunnelling, fleet provisioning, Docker containers on edge devices, and Alexa voice support on devices with 50 per cent less power than was previously required. The firm's re:Invent shindig is on in Las Vegas next week. With 50,000 or more attendees and …

1. Chris G

Good listener

So Alexa spawned items will become so ubiquitous that you won't notice them slurping every detail of your life

Smart toilet seats, taps, soap dispensers, beer coolers and vending machines.

I wonder if voice recognition in terms of identity could develop along with that.

The opportunities for more detailed profiling are becoming endless.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Smart toilet seats

complete with detectors to identify you by the smell and sound of your farts.

Facial recognition will be everywhere in yout home if Bezos and Co have their way.

OR

You can give the finger to Bezos and all other IOT crap, Smart devices that need to phone home every few minutes with more slurpage.

The amount of data that you give away is in your control.

Your privacy is in your control but will you rise up to the challenge.

I've blocked 99% of Google, 100% of Facebook, Twitter and Amazon at my firewall. I won't have any 'stuff' that demands to phone home. If a device demands to be 'connected' to operate then sorry it is not for me. I know that this may become harder in the future but I'm determined to keep this shit out of my life.

Ready to step up and keep the enemy at bay? {deathly silence follows}

1. eswan

Fecal Recognition

1. Fungus Bob
          Trollface

Right now its still shit...

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Ready to step up and keep the enemy at bay?

That is my firm position. I don't need no stinking IoT, I can get to a wall switch to turn on the lights.

3. fidodogbreath

The amount of data that you give away is in your control. Your privacy is in your control but will you rise up to the challenge.

We can try to control it within our own homes; but if this kind of "ambient" shit becomes common, it will be impossible to avoid in other people's homes and in public.

2. Captain Scarlet
      Mushroom

Re: Good listener

... then they bring out Echo Flex

What a waste of a plug socket!

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Good listener

Even if they do become ubiquitous they'll still need your Wi-Fi password and your Amazon account.

Which I'm not giving them.

2. Paul Herber Silver badge

Smart toilet seats

Alexa and Google and Sira etc, bog off.

Yours, Captain U-bend.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"computers ...are built into the environment, so you don't have to think of them."

That's when you really have to think of them.

1. Chris G

"computers ...are built into the environment"

That scene in minority report where Tom Cruise is moving through public space and everything is reading his new iris pattern and beaming personalised ad's etc at him.

Amazon, Google et al took that as a directive rather than as an example of the dystopia they are leading us into.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So this new "Cloud Alexa"

is so lightweight that it can run in a 1MB device, how much do you want to bet that it's even worse at tracking it's activation word. That is to say, if it's even trying to process it locally and to just live streaming to Amazon 24/7. That and the fact that amazon-adsystem.com is showing up all over third party sites means post divorce Jeff now has the trifecta of pervasive video, audio, and internet surveillance. Pity for him nobody wanted his crap fire phones.

All of this is seriously damping my ability to enjoy cheap cloud computing and the rapid delivery of useful stuff.

5. Screwed

Campaign against voice operated systems!

I find myself freezing when a system reacts to my voice. It is only after years of use that I can manage voice controlled telephone systems. Even now, I often choose the bail-out option (if there is one and if I can work out how to). Something in me rebels against formulating words, opening my mouth and uttering what is required. Especially when anyone else is around. Why? I really don’t know. I can feel muscles prepare to press a button, flick a switch, but not speak. My mouth almost stops working.

I have always had a bit of stutter to my speech but, in daily life, conversing with humans (or the cat), I have overcome it more or less completely. These systems bring it out.

I hate them with a vengeance for what they do to me. Without even going into the privacy issues which are also of great importance.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like