back to article Mysterious IT snafu at British Airways causes bunch of inbound flight delays and cancellations

British Airways suffered yet another IT failure, causing knock-on flight delays and cancellations for thousands of unhappy travellers*. An unspecified computer system crash has meant some of BA's fleet has been grounded for hours and counting – it seems to be largely an inbound flight issue. Long-haul flights appear to be have …

1. Gordon 10
    Flame

BA commentards needed urgently

The world (well El Reg) needs to know whats going on at Britains Favourite failure prone airline.

Or are you all too busy trying to put the fire out?

2. andy 103
    FAIL

Blame third parties

I love how the first thing BA consider doing is contacting Lufthansa and Amaedus to see if it's a problem with their systems. Sure, all airlines integrate with third parties but you can just imagine the people at the other end going... "No, no BA, it's *your* shitty old antiquated non-redundant poorly configured and not properly tested systems. Yet again".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Blame third parties

I think you'll find it was El Reg that contacted Lufthansa and Amaedus, not BA.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

You're clearly an optimist. I don't think he could find his own arse with both hands....

2. Dabooka
      WTF?

There's a fail in here alright....

...but you're looking in the wrong place. RTFA

3. 5leeper5ervice

Did you read the article ? It is clearly the Reg asking those questions not BA

1. andy 103
        Joke

I never read Reg articles fully

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BA delays aren't all bad; me and the wife took advantage of their recent "two business class flights for £2019" deal, paid most of it in Avios and less than £800 in cash - that's in total. We got 24 hours advance notification of a delay to our return from Vegas which gave us the chance to visit the Hoover Dam (well worth it geeks) and still have time for a few comp champagnes in the lounge before the flight.

A broken lie-flat bed for me was solved by having the empty one next to me in landing configuration and the one I was in in sleeping mode; bliss. The compo she got from BA for the various issues ended up being significantly more than she'd paid for the two flights originally.

I am well aware that this much good fortune will never happen to me again; don't hate me.

1. Tim99 Silver badge

If you fly enough, "good fortune" becomes likely. Mrs Tim99 and I had a BA business class flight from Singapore to LHR where the entertainment system didn't work. We got £400 each compo, I hadn't the heart to tell them that both of us normally read, sleep, and eat on similar journeys; so we don't use their entertainment anyway...

4. Oh Matron!

Disappointed...

Came here to see the Alex Cruz / Rat's Nest of ethernet cables photo... Humph.

5. Daedalus

Getting Nowhere Fast

Mr. Speed.

A case of inverse Nominative Determinism, perhaps?

6. 0laf
    FAIL

BA = Bloody Awful

I've flown many times with many airlines but my worst experiences have always been with BA.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: BA = Bloody Awful

my worst experiences have always been with BA Air France

Air Chance - the only western European major carrier worse than BA..

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

I'd put Lufthansa well above BA and AF in that category, especially if having your luggage arriving with you is important.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

Luggage is supposed to be routed through Murmansk according to Douglas Adams. Murmansk airport being the only known exception.

2. macjules

Really? I would put just about any American airline in the category of "worst experience". Think RyanAir without the faux smiles and with the legroom intended for an anorexic dwarf.

1. yoganmahew

Delta!

Some way from Alpha.

1. andytheclueless

I was told that Delta stood for "Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive"

2. Imhotep

I've always been satisfied with Southwest - but not an option for international flights.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I love flying BA

Personally, I love flying with BA. My employer pays for the fare - and has to accommodate my non or late appearance, and I pocket the compensation money. It's actually working out really well for me.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: I love flying BA

"Personally, I love flying with BA. My employer pays for the fare - and has to accommodate my non or late appearance, and I pocket the compensation money. It's actually working out really well for me.

"

Making lemonade, are you?

Cheers.

The other thing to do is to book tickets way in advance on flights you know will fill up such as when there is a popular event somewhere. Hopefully, you know an airline with generous compensation. When they asked for people to give up their seats, but first to raise your hand, both ways. Bonus if it's a flight with a stop and you can give up your seat a couple of times and get a free trip each time.

Way back when I was in college, there was a list of these flights (back before the internet, but after the dinos died out) on paper. We'd use the tickets our folks would get us to come home for holidays and spend 2-3 days sleeping in airports just racking up free flights and calling collect to say there were "weather delays". When spring break rolled around, we'd be set. Summer holidays wouldn't be boring either.

8. macjules

"Where's Mr Speed today?"

At FCO I used to occasionally check on the whereabouts of one of HM Diplomatic Couriers.He one told me that his wife had once named him "The Harbinger of Doom", due to his uncanny ability to arrive in a country when it was peaceful and to leave it just as revolution or war broke out, which he did on a large number of occasions.

1. Gordon 10

Re: "Where's Mr Speed today?"

Maybe “courier” was just a cover?

2. MachDiamond Silver badge

You changed the names. It was really a US ambassador, wasn't it?

3. Intractable Potsherd

"... uncanny ability to arrive in a country when it was peaceful and to leave it just as revolution or war broke out, which he did on a large number of occasions."

I have friends who, at least for a while, were the same with anywhere they went on holiday. I came to the conclusion that the company the male friend worked for should have called "Universal Exports".

9. steviebuk Silver badge

Maybe

John McClane was involved.

10. notfred

Air Canada had a botched software rollout a day or two ago (my AC002 flight was delayed a half hour due to manifest reconciliation issues, it was obvious that counter staff were having problems checking people in, and before that the mobile app was down for 12 hours).

Coincidence?

11. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

” If you see him, buy him a pint.“

I think I’ll maintain a healthy distance from Mr. Speed - he clearly has a knack for being involved in trouble situations...

1. Imhotep

He Gets BOTH Armrests!

StamSpeed: Rush of passengers disembarking from any plane Mr Speed boards.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only ever flown BA once

See title

13. TrumpSlurp the Troll
    Windows

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be

I can (more or less) remember BA in the 70s when they were a highly motivated and technically proficient bunch who took pride in the service.

I can't remember any recent time when I've flown with them, though.

14. Winkypop Silver badge
    Windows

Bring back BOAC

I'm old.

1. Tim99 Silver badge

Re: Bring back BOAC

No. You would be old if you can remember Imperial Airways.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I ain't gettin' on no plane

Oh, wait, that's the *other* BA...

1. Steve K

Re: I ain't gettin' on no plane

Oh, wait, that's the *other* BA...

Fool...

16. HmmmYes

Im glad that 99% of my work is tunnelled via a ssh connection.

I used to flay a lot. I hate business travelling.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Coat

Gormenghast - Mr Flay

I know that airline passengers are treated like cattle, but you must have a short temper to go & skin your fellow passengers.

Is that why you work from home now?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon