back to article Register Hardware revamped

A new year, a new look. Well, almost. We had the design ready and waiting, and we decided to press the button anyway. Why the change? In 2009, we'll be bringing a greater emphasis on reviews, do-it-yourself features - in our new Hands On section and practical advice from fellow readers in Q&A, and we felt Register Hardware …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dylan Brandes
    Thumb Up

Needed it.

Not that i didnt like the old look but the new look definately is alot more eye catching and has a better overall feel to it.

I would like to see more hardware reviews specifically in area of Computers, I have been very impressed the reviews and articles REDHardware has produced this year. Well done and keep up the good work. :D

2. Steven Raith
    Thumb Up

Linky to El Reg site?

Looks OK to me, but I can't find the 'return to theregister.co.uk' button where it used to be.

Specific design change to lock people into RegHardware? ;-)

Steven R

3. Matt Smart
    Thumb Up

Nice

I'm sure there will be a plethora of comments saying "I hate what you've done in this, this and this bit" from granddads who don't like progress. So let me be (hopefully not) the first to say I really like it; well done.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Where's the vulture

What happened to the vulture logo? It's got to be on every page!

5. LeBeourfCurtaine
    Coat

How very Black and Decker

Well, at least you've finally put on a link back to the El Reg front page.

Rifling through your pockets for Chrimbo booze money.

6. Lon Bailey

Brign back the vulture

Agree with above, without the vulture, is may look cooler, but then it is just like all the other review sites...

7. n
    Thumb Down

shameless

...will you still only be reviewing freebee products that are sent to you by manufacturers in your "round up", "top ten" features as per the norm you bunch of corrupt cheapskates.

8. OrsonX

we decided to press the button anyway....

It's hard to resist I know.

"do you want to instal the incremental gadget shafting but potentially glorious upgrade patch?"

No!

Oh go on then....

9. Steven Raith
    Paris Hilton

RE: Linky to El Reg site?

Huzzah, it's up on the very top banner image thingy, towards the right - I am pleased to announce that I am just plain ignorant.

It's still remarkably slow on my Ubuntu box with Firefox 3, and a bit better in Opera 9.52, but that's probably either a *nix thing, or just my machine being knackered....

Paris, because I'm about as sharp as her today....

Steven R

10. Stuart Elliott
    Thumb Up

* A title is required.

Cheers for the update, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to y'all at Reg Central.

11. detritus
    Thumb Down

Not a fan, I'm afraid.

Looks like a badly-finished generic web2.something blog template - angled stripes? Check. Sheen buttons? Check. Lazy nav typography? Check. All this bound by disparate elements that don't really fit together and feel slapdash and unfinished..

Most importantly - Where's the brand? Where's the red masting? 'Reg' only means something when it's coupled with The Vulture or wearing its clothes.

I see the need to distinguish your sections a bit more to provide light to the wealth and breadth of your content offering - but I don't think you've focused on the cohesion enough, nor invested enough effort in the form of the final product.

Who benefits from this in this form, exactly?

Signed, a slightly pretentious designer-type person who's read and loved The Reg daily for nearly 8 years now and feels a little bad about only writing to criticise.

x

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Logo looks lost

in all of that whitespace around it.

/me disables adblock and refreshes

Oh. That's why.

/me re-enables adblock

Needs a Reg logo.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Every time I press one of these...

Looking, or rather squinting, at the dark grey text on the black background I am reminded of the Hitchhiker's line:

Every time I press one of these black buttons that're labelled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up in black to let me know I've done it.

And I hadn't noticed it was hatched/striped/whatever until a previous poster pointed it out. It just looks grey at my normal viewing distance. No, actually, it just looks like a different shade of black, hence my first thought of "how many different shades of black have they got". Doesn't look good, looks sloppy.

On the plus side, I can read the font without having to squint!

14. Aaron Harris
    Dead Vulture

Logo

No Vulture, does this mean the reg branding is changing, no longer biting the hand that feeds it...

Other than that looks good.

15. Chris Miller
    Thumb Up

Vulture needed

Otherwise no worse than before

16. bluesxman
    Coat

@ Big, tattooed Fred

Might I suggest investing in some spectacles with a current prescription? :-)

17. blackworx
    Pirate

Like the black

RH Logo sucks - looks like a cheapo midi system badge from Dixons circa 1986 (Saisho anyone?) - you definitely need the vulture up there at the very least.

Shiny button bar at the top looks half-arsed, dare I say amateurish? Looks a bit like an early DreamWeaver freebie.

Review finder is a mess in IE6. (At work! At work! I and a few million others have no option!)

But I'm such a goth I love the black so I will quietly put up with quite a lot of shit design choices just for the sake of that... although I'd rather not *have* to.

As long as the reviews and stories keep on coming that's the important thing.

18. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Stop

Logo looks like it was knocked up by a schoolkid.

I don't expect El Reg to be able to pay the sort of costs your average blue chip does when it goes for a logo revamp... but a little effort would have been nice.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Okey but a few glitches...

There's no back to article link if you follow the "Be the first to post a comment" link :(

20. Dave Harris
    Thumb Up

Generally in favour...

...but it does need the Vulture somewhere

21. David Gosnell

Not bad, in fact surprisingly good

Unlike your competitor's recent revamp, and only 5 homepage validation errors to boot.

All we need now is the author filter.

22. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

@All re. logo

You spoke. We listened. We acted. Gentlemen, refresh your browsers...

23. Chris Miller

Much better with the Vulture

Thanks Tony

24. Steven Raith
    Go

The Linky Bar

That is, the one on the top right that I missed, then noticed - what are the chances of it getting attached to the main Reg and Channel Reg sites as well for making navimigation a bit easier?

Or is just me who likes it?

Steven R

25. Britt Johnston
    IT Angle

another good thing

I always thought twice about visiting the hardware, since the link treacled.

Today is better, did you splash out on a new server - or is that just year-end?

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ads by Google

The box next to the logo looks like it trying to take over the whole of the top of the page. Before you know it, the improved new logo complete with vulture will be hidden and you'll just have some ads at the top of the page.

Do no Evil? Yeah right....

And we need some evil Sergey logos methinks!

27. Paul
    Dead Vulture

Looks a LOT like

the web 2.0 that the reg is always deriding.

My sister is studying media GCSE, even she can make a better looking site.

Oh and nice black and really faint grey, Not really accesible to visually impaired users, Comments about glasses, are NOT welcome, they don't make 'em strong enough for some peoples conditions.

SORT IT OUT!!!

28. jake Silver badge

Lovely. Not.

"decided to press the button anyway"

Why? Did someone actually think this looks GOOD? I mean, I only read ElReg for the text and rarely even notice any of the so-called art, but this is surprisingly bad. Almost jarring.

And gone to fixed-width like the rest of the early '90s inspired Register ... I might have to go back to using lynx or links.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@bluesxman

You might. However I've been there, done that and got the t-shirt and my optician is quite happily holidaying with the money he got off me, thank you very much.

I, too, am stuck with IE6 at work. At home with Firefox it looks much better.

And that vulture really was needed!

30. LeBeourfCurtaine
    Paris Hilton

Is it me...

...or has the logo changed since this morning? I was successful in fishing for booze *hic* money, natch.

Paris, because it's a time to reflect on all the *hic* partying.

31. Trix
    Thumb Down

Hm

Very gaming guild website circa 1998 with all that black, but oh well. And again with the ridiculous fixed-width!

At least I can find the link back to the main reg site now!

32. Jeff Jenkins
    Thumb Up

Very good

Yes, very good update, only thing I don't like is the 2 columns in the news section as it's not obvious what's new.

33. Len Goddard
    Thumb Down

Nope

More of the ghastly fixed width stuff. And the eyestraining little font. There was a key combo which increased the font size in the main reg pages but it doesn't seem to carry over and I don't remember what it was.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Calm down dears

I think the site looks great, only things I would grumble about is the grey on black text on the nav bar, and the kerning between the W and the A in the new logo (welcome back vulture)

35. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

The background gives me a headache

Probably because the lines are too thin.

36. David Shepherd
    Dead Vulture

not as bad as other places

most positive comment I can come up with is that its not as bad as another "plaice" that's "updated" its appearance in the past couple of weeks. I expect in the usual boil-a-frog process I'll get used to it in a few weeks and thus be ready for the next outrage

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Very slow!

Why is the new design so slow? It's a major crawl and slow down. I'm using Firefox with noscript and flash blocker (well, scripts from theregister are allowed, naturally) - and it's such a pain!

38. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Unforuntately

It looks like it's been reverted back to 1990.

Disappointed....

39. The Mighty Spang

s.l.o.w.

im using the ff 3.05 with smooth scrolling... and it isn't smooth on this site. Still I've only got a intel quad core @ 2.8ghz and 8800GT on vista 64.. why should i expect a frame rate better than a 3d app?

40. NoCo37
    Pirate

OK

Much nicer than the last incarnation... I do agree that the grey on black is a bit annoying, but overall I like the changes.

41. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

New Look

This is horrible

This topic is closed for new posts.