back to article The US Army recruits WALL-E Chris H as its next-generation bomb disposal robot

The US Army is building a new 248-strong robot regiment to help defuse or detonate explosives and has just spent $109m on the new hardware, which bears an unfortunate similarity to the beloved cartoon character WALL-E. Known as the Common Robotic System - Heavy, or CRS-H for short (pronounced "Chris-H"), the wheeled bot comes …

1. Jim Mitchell
    Coat

I dunno, when I combine "heavy" + "Chris", I get Chris Christie, not "CRS-H".

2. Blockchain commentard

WALL-E = Weaponised Anti LethaL Equipment would be a better name.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Wheelbarrow

Pig sticker, shotgun and a camera on tracked chassis. Plus ca change (etc)

1. BugabooSue
      Happy

Re: Wheelbarrow

Had much fun playing with these wonderful toe-crushing toys in days of yore.

Many noisy memories...

<happy sigh>

4. petur

is it alive?

looks more like number 5

1. Aqua Marina

Re: is it alive?

I came on to make a quip about a short circuit. We’ll probably find the comments divided between those who are old enough to remember Johnny 5 and those young enough to only know Wall-E. Hopefully there is no-one who remembers T M!

1. stuartnz

Other than the unforgettable tagline, what I remember most about Number 5 is its GIGANTIC memory: Anyone else remember those awe-inspiring specs? :)

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
          Terminator

If they fit AmigaOS into 512K, just imagine what they could do with 1024 times that memory.

Not sure what processor it used though. Maybe something even more advanced than a MOS 6502.

1. JassMan

@ Dan55

Probably the latest raspberry pi with a zigbee hat.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

NO DISASSEMBLE!

1. Kane

STEPHANIEEEEEE!

1. Snapper
              Happy

Nice software!

2. Captain Scarlet
      Mushroom

Have an upvote, I was gob smacked at the Wall-E reference considering it looks much more like Mr 5!

5. Martin Gregorie

Troops and (semi-pronouncable) acronyms

I won't be surprised if the military simply call it a CRASH.

6. Chris G

7 Hours

I think the biggest advance here is thew battery technology, the bomb disposal robots in Northern Ireland during the troubles could do pretty much the same but duration was limited and the units with lead acid batteries were probably much heavier.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: 7 Hours

Isn't the obvious solution to have a couple of infantry persons to carry its batteries?

You could even call them sergeants from the latin word for servant

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 7 Hours

the Army is yet to find the meaning behind the "up to..." phrase*

* not applicable to pricing and terms of payment.

7. hammarbtyp

Seems more s evolution rather than a revolution. I can't help wondering what a bomb disposal device based on one of the Boston Dynamic cats would look like. Certainly would provide more mobility in certain scenarios

1. stuartnz

If modelled on the Boston Dynamic Cats, clearly its AI would also need to be properly sourced - leading to a low battery warning along the lines of "I don't have enough energy for my main snooze" and perhaps "How am I looking? I'm STILL looking nice" sent to confirm a task's completion.

8. MudFever

IED Detection

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger.

So many robots from modern culture to pick from... GUNTER, Robbie, Twiki, Marvin.

1. Kernel

Re: IED Detection

Just to show my age - does any one else remember the TV cartoon series 'Gigantor" from 1964?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZnV9REm-Eo

It was based on an earlier Japanese cartoon series, "Tetsujin 28," which apparently translates as "IronMan 28".

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BOOM ! Alas poor Chris H, I knew him, WALL-E, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy..

Your turn next WALL-E.

10. Antonius_Prime

They could've Backronymed it to be "Common Robotic Assistive System - Heavy".

In fact, I would put folding money on it being called that in some focus group beforfe being killed off in PR...

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Mushroom

They could've Backronymed it to be "Common Robotic Assistive System - Heavy".

It's a Kinetic Armament Block or Overcome Machine.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just wait till they add AI

Soldier: "CRS-H, go disarm that IED."

CRS-H: "Are you kidding? That thing could tear me to pieces! Do it yourself!"

12. Aussie Doc
    Mushroom

But...

What about the inevitable 'Windows 10 for robots' updates needing to restart your system now or defer for three minutes?

13. TheMD

what kind of operating system does it use?

( just won £100)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: what kind of operating system does it use?

Why, Windows XPlode, of course!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please tell me its not IoT enabled?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like