back to article 'Literally a paperweight': Bose users fume at firmware update that 'doesn't fix issues'

Firmware updates to Bose TV soundbars don't seem to have fixed the problems for everyone and have even managed to add some new issues. Owners of the reassuringly expensive sound kit are finding that their universal remote controls no longer work and the £700 soundbar either won't connect to the TV or randomly disconnects – a …

1. Steve Todd

There’s a reason people say

That BOSE stands for Buy Other Sound Equipment. I guess these folks have found it.

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: There’s a reason people say

My German spelling checker keeps wanting to change BOSE to BÖSE - which means bad or evil, maybe Duden is more intelligent than I thought. :-D

1. katrinab Silver badge
        Happy

I will remember to refer to them as "Böse Lautsprecher" in future.

2. Hans 1
        Megaphone

Evil speakers for your neighbours, maybe ?

2. Tim99 Silver badge

Originally: Bass Overwhelms Sound Experience - Now: Beware Offered Software Explodes?

1. Hans 1
        Paris Hilton

Beware of software expiration

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

Bloody 'Orrible Shite Equipment

3. JetSetJim
      Windows

BOSE does appear to be a product set that looks pretty, relies on "premium" reputation to demand a high price, and offers moderately limited functionality when compared with competitors.

Got sucked into buying a Soundtouch speaker (would've rather had a Sonos, but SWMBO overruled) and remain bitterly disappointed to this day. Can only cast to it from an iDevice, can only play Spotify if you have a paid subscription, connection to my music library on Synology seems to have died, can't just make it a Bluetooth speaker....

At least I got it at a Black Friday price, not regular price so I don't feel too shafted

1. werdsmith Silver badge

I have a Soundlink Mini I and it’s a micro sound miracle making a noise beyond its size. I love it.

I haven’t tried any other Bose kit, but I do like the little brick size speaker.

1. Stumpy

Update the firmware on it and it might become an actual brick :)

1. Rob Willett

No upgrades available for Mk1 Soundlink

Unlikely as there isn't one.

It does sound very good through and I've compared it to a number of similar priced units. None sound much better or much worse at that price

2. BillG
        Devil

If I recall, BOSE is one of those companies that layed off many of their experienced engineers and replaced them with college grads that believed "drivers always work as documented".

3. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

As a counterpoint to this, I've had Bose headphones and speakers since 2010 and have been very happy.

QC15s - excellent at the time, ANC is a little outdated now though.

Replaced with QC20i's in 2012 - stunning headphones.

QC20s broke last year when a fat German bent the 3.5mm connector in an aircraft in-seat entertainment system.

Bought Sony WH-1000XM2s to replace; nothing fundamentally wrong with them but just didn't do it for me.

Went to a Bose shop last year (to buy QC35IIs, showed them my broken QC20s and they offered me $94 trade-in. Brilliant.

I've also had a SoundLink Mini (gen1) since 2015; absolutely stunning little speaker.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Downvoted by a fat German I see :)

2. Cynic_999

"

QC20s broke last year when a fat German bent the 3.5mm connector in an aircraft in-seat entertainment system.

"

Paying £lots as an alternative to replacing a 50p connector indicates money>sense.

@Cynic_999

It’s a 4 pole+GND elbow connector servicing audio L+R plus mic and volume controls, on a 5cm long wire (of which 2cm is strain relief) going into the ANC unit which is thermally welded with a Bose-imprinted heatshrink sleeve. Look up some photos and you’ll see what I’m talking about. It’s an absolute pain to replace, although I did manage to somewhat repair it enough to get the audio working - and I was buying the QC35s anyway so the $94 trade-in was just icing on the cake.

To paraphrase Maurice Switzer; When you have no clue what you’re talking about, better to stay silent and be thought a fool than speak up and remove all doubt.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

I'll say upfront that I've never been a Bose fan, ever since I first met their 802 "PA" speakers back in the 1990s - you know, the ones with the eight small drivers and a massive bass labyrinth in an oddly-shaped box that didn't work properly unless you powered them from Bose's own amplifier which included some very tricky EQ.

The Bose home products I have heard certainly have an "engaging", "appealing" and "big" sound when you first hear them, but after a while they begin to grate on me, and there's no way I could justify the cost, personally.

I wonder if iFixit has ever taken a look at these headphones. If I'm going to pay that sort of money for a pair of headphones I'd hope that they were at least repairable, but then again I'm not the sort of person who shells out a grand for a totally unfixable phone either. As an example, Beko is not exactly a "premium" white goods brand, but I have to say I've found it a much more satisfying experience getting sensibly-priced replacement parts for Beko kit than for "better" brands over the years.

In a similar vein, I didn't think the Beyerdynamic DT100 (and siblings) headphones that were the "industry standard" in broadcasting for many years were particularly brilliant headphones but every single part was replaceable, from the cables (which plugged in) to the drivers, to the headband padding and foam inserts. Very useful in a studio context.

I'm fascinated that Bose was able to offer you a trade-in, but the very fact that they could, without question, does make you wonder what their margins are :-)

Most of my HiFi kit comes from Richer Sounds - who do now sell some "lifestyle" stuff, but still have the good quality basics - and most of my PA kit comes from Studiospares, who seem to have people on the end of the phone who actually know what they are talking about and don't turn up their noses when you buy a mix of Sennheiser and Behringer kit*.

M.

*Sennheiser radio microphones - because they're rather good, even in their cheaper forms, and Behringer X32 mixers because likewise. I even had one client send a tech spec. which forbade the use of Behringer kit, but encouraged the use of Midas kit, despite the fact that the small digital desks are, in fact, near identical other than the price (slightly different form factor, very minor pre-amp differences and a promised 96kHz "firmware update" that never seems to have materialised).

Hi Martin,

You're right about the repairability - I'm sure that a professional, or even someone with experience (and small fingers) could have replaced the plug better than I did. I was impressed with the trade-in offer, but even more impressed with the way the shop dealt with it; it was the Bose store at the Woodbury Common mall, and I sat there for nearly an hour while the sales rep was on the phone with head office, between them looking for a way to arrange the trade-in on the basis that Bose products shouldn't 'just break' and they wanted to keep the customer happy.

I had the same question you did about the margins; my assumption was that the $94 trade-in was very close to cost price - so the difference between that and the retail price of $229,95 is all profit. A part of where that profit goes is providing an (in my view) excellent customer experience.

2. Cynic_999

After realizing that the connector & wire, (which is one of the most common parts to fail) was impossible to repair or replace, why buy a very expensive replacement device that has the same problem?

1. Is It Me

Because QC35s (and QC25s) have replaceable cables.

In fact the QC35s in theory don't need a cable as they are bluetooth based, but can use one even if the battery has died.

2. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

” why buy a very expensive replacement device that has the same problem?“

I didn’t; read the post again. Remember what I said about opening your mouth and removing all doubt?

3. jelabarre59

It’s a 4 pole+GND elbow connector servicing audio L+R plus mic and volume controls, on a 5cm long wire (of which 2cm is strain relief) going into the ANC unit which is thermally welded with a Bose-imprinted heatshrink sleeve.

So because it has shit design engineering and is impossible to repair, that suddenly makes it OK??? Let me guess, you're an iPhone user.

The headphones are designed very well - they worked fine until a fat German broke them. If he hadn’t, they’d probably have gone on for several more years. And I never said it was ok - I was just happy with the service.

You hear what you want to hear, make blind assumptions that fly in the face of the facts, and are clearly insecure enough to lash out at anyone who you think might make different purchasing choices than you - let me guess, you’re an Android (l)user.

1. jelabarre59

let me guess, you’re an Android user.

Yep. And not at all happy with *THEIR* shit engineering either. But I don't delude myself that they're any good.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

"Yep. And not at all happy with *THEIR* shit engineering either. But I don't delude myself that they're any good."

Buy an iPhone. Way better.

4. W.S.Gosset

Sonos now sells your data

> would've rather had a Sonos

Sonos quietly changed their T&Cs a while back, such that if you own one you authorise them to sell your data+tracking.

Retroactively applied it to all existing Sonos owners too. You either lumped it, or switched off all the Sonos aspects to become the pissedoff owner of a dumb speaker of average quality yet premium price.

4. Aqua Marina

This is one of those situations where Europe has come to the rescue with it's mandating 2 year warranties on all their electrical gear, provided by the distributor you bought it from. The best solution to this problem isn't to complain on a forum for months on end, it's to take the unit back to the retailer for a full refund.

The UK goes one step further tho than Europe. We Brits have the ability to take kit back for refund for up to 6 years after purchase if we can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the quality of the gear is substandard to the price paid for it. This product has a history of 12 months worth of problems looking at the forums so it would be quite easy to argue the equipment is sub-standard and the manufacturer is aware of it.

The only thing available to you guys on the other side of the pond is class-action. Group up together and hit them with your lawyers.

1. matt 83

2 years? It should be 10.

Having stuff last longer would do a lot more for the environment than bollox like paper drinking straws and recycling crisp packets.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

BOSE - Bricked Otological Sound Experience.

6. binary
      Linux

It makes sense to me what BOSE stands for. I owned a BOSE speaker set in the past and was very disappointed with the sound output. Please note that BOSE never reveals the output frequency of their speakers. I can't understand why the REG calls BOSE products "Lexus." I am assuming it refers to the 2002 Lexus SC 430 which is rated 3rd worst car ever made:

https://www.thestreet.com/story/12927306/1/the-10-worst-cars-of-all-time.html

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

"Lexus of speakers" couldn't be much further from the mark. "Apple of speakers" would be far more accurate.

1. julian_n

Come now - Apple aren't that bad. Besides, with the car analogy I guess it should be the Trabant of Speakers.

Certainly my QC25s that fell to a known issue that BOSE refused to repair put me off the brand for life.

2. AlbertH

Grossly over-priced and poor performance - they are like "Beats" headphones - distorted and just plain nasty-sounding. There are very good reasons for them not revealing the actual technical measurements for the "performance" of their products!

Way back in the 1970s, Amar Bose produced the 701 speaker. It actually worked pretty well for its quite small size, but every subsequent product just rode on the back of that initial success. Then the man himself sold his name, and the rubbish that we've seen since the early 1980s began to be produced...

1. quxinot

After hearing the 701's in person, I must say that they were really, really overhyped. I don't know what their original pricing was like, but other speakers from the period (Mission, EPI) absolutely blow them out of the water, IMO. (A friend of mine collects hifi stuff from that period, and it's amazing how good some of it genuinely is!)

The later Bose systems with the tiny cubes dotted about and the sub in the corner.... No midrange. No clarity. Ugh. Works okay for a fairly hidden setup for the back half of a home theater surround setup, but past that I will give them no credit whatsoever.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

My car (not a Lexus; they equip Mark Levinson) came factory equipped with a Bose sound system. It sounds fairly decent, but then it's not a bunch of under-sized drivers dotted around a room; it's designed for the task. The listening environment is a very noisy one, and I listen to very noisy music, so if there's a lack of subtlety that doesn't really matter.

And the "subwoofer" hiding inside the spacesaver spare wheel is a silly thing, but does a reasonable job within the car's fairly small cabin.

2. MachDiamond Silver badge

"Works okay for a fairly hidden setup for the back half of a home theater surround setup"

It has what is known as a high WAF (Wife Appreciation Factor). Guys are perfectly content to have a set of large speakers set at an optimum distance from the listening position and away from the walls where the wife will insist on putting them in a far corner with a potted plant in front to hide them.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Grossly over-priced and poor performance - they are like "Beats" headphones - distorted and just plain nasty-sounding.

My understanding is that Beats headphones are only good for listening to hip-hop. Which is understandable as they were designed at the behest of a rapper (AKA not designed for listening to actual MUSIC).

3. goldcd

But Apple is "the Apple of Speakers"

2. BGatez

It"s the Benjamins

7. JimboSmith Silver badge

I applied for a job at a BOSE store when between positions. I filled in an application form and handed it in. I then heard nothing and decided that I obviously wasn't suitable for their shops. A full 6 weeks after the form went in I had a call from somebody thanking me for applying and saying that I was more than perfect for the job. "When can you come in?" I told them I had found another job in the vast amount of time it had taken them to get in touch. He seemed rather shocked by this piece of news.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

"I told them I had found another job in the vast amount of time it had taken them to get in touch. He seemed rather shocked by this piece of news."

That happens all over the place. Companies have been trained that they need an HR department and those people have to look as busy as possible and process each piece of paper very thoroughly. An application has a very exciting life for those 6 weeks as nobody in HR has any idea what the job is about nor how to tell if an applicant is fit for the post. Somebody will eventually mention casually to the engineering manager that they know somebody that has a particular degree and experience and asks if that sort of person might be a good person to fill a job.

What would often happen to me is I'd get a letter six weeks down the road thanking me for applying but they've decided to not fill the job or they have frozen any new hiring for a period. Gee thanks, but I wrote you off 5 weeks ago. Even more usual is a form letter acknowledging the submission of an application and then complete silence.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They will release a fix for it. But that fix will be in the form of a new model and no longer supplying updates for this, just like Samsung do with their soundbars.

1. BebopWeBop
      Pirate

No updates might be the best possible option for Bose users given their record.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

IMO your soundbar should be "dumb" and then it might work.

Even my cheepo Sony Soundbar (with Bluetooth though), turns itself off for "power savings" if anything not shaking the house is playing. :(

1. katrinab Silver badge
        Unhappy

My Logitec (with 3.5mm jack connections) does the same.

I have a cron script that plays a 5Hz tone every few minutes to keep it awake.

2. Lee D Silver badge

One of the reasons I wouldn't buy a soundbar that's capable of firmware updates at all (or would firewall it off immediately).

It has to take.... audio data and produce... audio. There's nothing in there that requires anything more complicated than that.

I bought a £23 kit for an arcade cabinet project, consisting of speakers and amplifier. I use it with a Raspberry Pi that - while doing everything else that it does, including playing games - can act as a Bluetooth audio sink. Additionally, I have a £20 HDMI splitter that also provides a separate audio out (i.e. one HDMI -> two HDMI out, SPDIF out and 3.5mm audio out).

Combining the above does... well, pretty much everything a soundbar does. For way less than £100. Even as a cobbled-together solution. And is more than good/loud enough to fill my entire living room with deafening-but-clear sound.

Given that if you really wanted to, the Raspberry Pi could easily be replaced with, say, a tiny Bluetooth->audio adaptor (£10?), where in there is there a need for firmware, updates, or anything else?

I judge you for buying "Bose", thinking it's a premium brand (it's the Haagen Dasz of audio, as far as anyone who knows about audio has ever told me).

I judge you for buying devices that have Internet connectivity or updates, or even a smartphone for what should be a basic connection (even if over Bluetooth from your phone) and an audio-only stream.

I judge you for then not returning the equipment to Bose as not fit for purpose if it's been off for MONTHS and been unusable in that time, and/or taking them to court. Imagine if someone did that to your car, or your bank account?

1. Timmy B

mmmm....

"I judge you for buying devices that have Internet connectivity or updates, or even a smartphone for what should be a basic connection (even if over Bluetooth from your phone) and an audio-only stream."

So you used a ras-pi as the core of your amplifier and then complained about kit that doesn't have a simple connection...

I see......

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: mmmm....

RPi's operate offline.

RPi's do not auto-update unless you tell them to.

RPi's run the operating system you install and the programs you tell them to, and nothing else.

And the RPi can be replaced with a £10 adaptor.

But... you carry on...

3. Tom 35

Samsung have updates? I plugged it in and it works. There is no built in wifi connection so no need for an update.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They also have a lack of format support (which they say they would change and then decide not to) also in 5.4.1 soundbar configs (such as their atmos soundbars, which have bluetooth, wifi and usb) have wireless rear and sub speakers that randomly disconnect, which they ignore.

3. BebopWeBop

Owners of the reassuringly expensive sound kit are finding that their universal remote controls no longer work and the £700 soundbar either won't connect to the TV or randomly disconnects

Nothing reassuring methinks.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How many decent products and companies....

have gone to shit due to greed and little to no customer service?

I was about to start a very long list like Sony, Craftsman tools, Samsung, etc but it would take too much of my time.

I will just go with:

All of them!

Hit 'em in the only place that matters to 'em... Don't buy their crap and warn all your friends and family!

I know that Bose is now off my list.

(It's a damn shame too)

1. DryBones

Re: How many decent products and companies....

Sonos works quite well (if you want in that bracket. Vizio works for me!)

1. AMBxx Silver badge
        Big Brother

Is that the same Sonos that stopped working if you refused to accept their data slurp?

2. iron Silver badge

Except Bose is not a decent product / company that has gone to shit. They always sounded like shit.

3. anothercynic Silver badge

To be fair to BOSE, their customer service in the UK is exemplary. Broken headset? Warranty replacement sends you a new (not a fixed) set. But then again, Sennheiser does the same. As for hardware, that's a different animal... Can't comment there. I find those gadgets too expensive anyway.

1. julian_n

Not my experience with them. I have a QC25 brick at home - looking at getting an Indy to look at it as I understand the known design flaw is in the cables.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Left speaker failure?

That's a known fault with ones manufactured in 2015, i have a pair. It just stops working due to coil detachment. They don't do crap about it.

2. anothercynic Silver badge

Sorry to hear about your QC25s! It seems it's the later/newer products that have more and more flaws as if not enough product testing is being done.

The old QCs I had were replaced twice under warranty, once for a cable problem, once for earphone cushion delamination. Their SoundSport earphones are very very good for the purpose in mind, so I'm happy they've lasted as long as they have.

4. Mage Silver badge
      Devil

Was Bose, Beats, Sonos etc ever other than hyped style & price & size more important than function.

Also €250 for Apple earbuds that you can't change the battery on and are less adaptable than €6 wired earbuds for your ears. I'll stick with a phone that has a 3.5mm socket and my €12 earbuds + mic.

I solved TV sound issue (both TVs have like laptop speakers) by using a Chinese HDMI/Optical/RCA Digital to 5.1 analogue adaptor, with also a stereo down mix. Feeds regular dumb amps and speakers.

5. katrinab Silver badge
      Flame

Böse has always been known as "buy other sound equipment".

6. Dave K

I do generally agree, however despite Sony being on my shit-list for many years, their current noise cancelling headphones are excellent. They have also surprised me by listening to customer feedback and actually releasing a couple of software/firmware updates that actually fix common gripes and which add requested functionality.

Yes, I'm surprised as well - especially after being burned in the past by the dreadful software Sony provided with their NetMD players. Still, a rare kudos to them for releasing a solid product and supporting it properly for once...

1. imanidiot Silver badge

In my opinion the only Bose product worth looking at is the QC35 NC headphones (wearing some right now), and the only alternative that comes close is the Sony WH-1000MX models. For me the difference was only in comfort, I liked the fit of the Bose ones on my head better, I know people who had the opposite.

I really don't understand why people would spend this much money on a soundbar like this. And then accept it when a manufacturer shafts them as hard as Bose is doing. Take them to bloody court if you have to and get your money back.

1. elaar

I sold my QC35s. The noise cancellation was fantastic, but the drop in audio quality compared to Non-NC open-backed/baffle headphones I've owned was very noticeable.

It was what I've come to expect from Bose, good tech, but losing focus on the main aspect, the sound.

” ... but losing focus on the main aspect, the sound.“

That’s your main aspect, not theirs. Bose QC headphones are primarily targeted at travellers, who want top quality NC first, and nice relaxing sound second. If you care enough about quality to buy open backed or baffle ‘phones, Bose were never going to be right for you.

5. Tom 38

Not impressed with Bose

I bought my lady friend some Bose Sleep Buds, because I snore like someone cutting down trees. Pretty pricey, £240 a pair, and rather than just active noise cancelling, these buds cancel noise and play a little background noise directly into the ear canal. At least, that's what they were supposed to do. Every time you use them, you have to pair them to the app on your phone, and they didn't use standard bluetooth headphone profiles, so that involved using the app. The process was this: start the app, remove the buds from their charging case, and they would connect.

Except.. they just don't. The process for retrying this was to put both buds back in the case, wait for the charging light to come on, take them out again. It would take about 30 minutes to get this shitstorm to connect both buds, at which point one or the other of us would be incandescent with rage "WORK GODDAMN YOU", and sleep was out of the question. After a month of this, I asked for my money back - which they did do, at least. A few months later, they announced they'd cancelled the whole line and were giving everyone who had bought them ever refunds as well, as they just couldn't make the technology work reliably.

Chances of buying anything Bose again: slim. It's a shame, because when they did finally pair, they were quite effective at blocking and replacing noise.

1. batfink

Re: Not impressed with Bose

Shame. I've had several iterations of their noise-cancelling over-ear headphones, and they've been pretty good.

Never had any of their other products though. Don't need soundbars - output from everything goes through my amp into proper speakers (which aren't Bose either).

WTF do your soundbars need firmware updates for in the first place?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I had their noise-cancelling headphones once. QuietComfort 35 I believe. When I bought them I was quite impressed by the noise-cancelling ability, the sound was OK, but not great - especially given the price.

One issue I had was that when I had my table fan on it would sometimes lead to crackle if noise-cancellation was on. Luckily they had a firmware update to fix it, by giving you control of the noise-cancelling level. Installed the update and noise cancelling more-or-less stopped working. It still did something, but not anywhere near its original level.

I, of course, downgraded the firmware, which did not solve the issue. When I looked online, it was an issue which had apparently persisted for months already. Returned the headset and bought a sennheiser instead. Noise-cancellation is not as great as the bose originally were (but better than after firmware upgrade) and they have much better sound too.

1. Rainer

They came out with the QC35-II to fix it...

And now there's the even-more-expensive next version...

2. GrumpenKraut
        Trollface

> WTF do your soundbars need firmware updates for in the first place?

If folks want to play sounds that did not even exist at the time the thing was bought.

1. Snapper

You said that very firmly.....

2. Dave314159ggggdffsdds Silver badge

Have you tried passive earplugs without noise cancelling? The cheapo foam ones are rubbish, but high end foam plugs like the 3m Earsoft FX, or silicone (putty) plugs cut out so much noise that expensive electronics seem unnecessary.

3. Oh Matron!

The bose sleep buds were so shit, bose actually cancelled them, and have offered full refunds

The Sleepbuds weren't shit at what they did (they were actually very effective) - they were cancelled because Bose couldn't get the special silver-zinc batteries to work reliably.

In my view this is a success story for customer service. Company tries to build a new and innovative product, it doesn't match expectations so they offer unconditional refunds to all buyers. This is the way it should be done, and other companies could learn a few things from it.

I'm generally an Apple fan, but honestly they should have done the same thing with the 2016 MacBook Pro. Should have said sorry, the butterfly keyboard is bollocks and doesn't meet the standard we set for ourselves, bring it back for a refund and we'll let you know when the next gen is out.

6. ecofeco Silver badge

The more complex the plumbing...

Maybe speakers don't need software.

I certainly have not heard any difference in speakers since the 1970s.

1. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Re: The more complex the plumbing...

See my other post. These days nothing lasts. Older stuff does its job and carries on doing it. We've got ourselves hooked on the update culture.

1. Charles 9

Or rather, those one-and-dones, you don't hear much anymore. Anyone hear much from Kirby or Electrolux? There's your problem: one-and-dones don't pay the recurring bills. There's no business like repeat business.

2. jonathan keith

We've got ourselves Manufacturers are hooked on the update culture.

FTFY

2. werdsmith Silver badge

Since the 1970s, speakers have managed to get bigger noise out of smaller cabinets.

But in the guitar world, it’s still old Celestion Blues driven by vacuum tubes. DSP is catching up though, if purists can be persuaded you might say DSP has caught up.

1. AlbertH

The best advance in small speaker technology was the Philips "Motional Feedback" system that achieved virtually distortionless sound and very wide frequency response (way below what the size of cabinet would ordinarily permit) and did it all in the analogue domain back in the 1970s.

I built myself some small "active" speakers, with 3-way low-level crossovers before the three power amplifiers themselves, and including motional feedback for the bass speaker - they still sound fabulous nearly 30 years later! My design was published in a European hobbyist electronics magazine, and I got considerable royalties from sales of the PCBs to replicate this design, so quite a lot of them were made.

2. Franco

Unfortunately the guitar world was a bit hipster-y even before hipsters were a thing. The analog-digital debate (particularly with delay pedals), the insistence that old instruments are better and the age-old vintage vs reissue Ibanez Tubescreamer debate being just a few examples.

1. Charles 9

I would be curious to see if anyone's tried to put forth some kind of audiophile acid test to see if they really can tell the difference between good analog and good digital.

3. Tom 7

I have - they've got smaller, prettier and shitter.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Speakers definitely shouldn't need software.

I have the same speakers for my home audio since 1996. They just work, and that's what is supposed to happen.

Personally, if any salesperson tries to sell me a speaker of any type that requires an Internet connection I'll just respond "are you actually shitting me ?" and leave.

5. Chris G

I have a pair of Danish made Jamo speakers running through a satisfyingly heavy Denon amp, I have not heard anything that sounds better including a pair of Neuman studio monitors I have.

6. teacake

"I certainly have not heard any difference in speakers since the 1970s."

Me either, but in my case that might be down to all those Thin Lizzy gigs.

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Soundbars are not just speakers.

They are av receiver and speaker. Firmware updates are usually to add things like spotify etc and new audio format support.

Speakers have no reason to have updates, they should have no software at all. But AV receivers have always had firmware and sometime need or are provided updates. Sometimes those updates are really downgrades, and sometimes they don't allow you to go back.

8. jelabarre59

I certainly have not heard any difference in speakers since the 1970s.

It's called Progressive Hearing Loss.

For me it's got some benefits; my hearing is bad enough that *ANY* sort of crap speaker is going to be as good as the expensive kit. Same thing with headphones. Pop down to Staples and pick up the latest ones they have on sale for $10. When they break toss them and get a new set.

Not from Thin Lizzy shows for me, but in the 80's my favourite place to stand was in front of the speaker at the nightclub.

7. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

How did we get here exactly?

I don't see the problem. If it won't get a firmware update, just buy the next model up. Problem solved. Everybody's happy.

Seriously though, this is indicative of the way the whole tech market works. Nothing is meant to last. You get beautifully designed and impressive items incredibly cheap and they are inherently faulty. Some manufacturers will release updates. Other won't. They'll just wait until the device is too old before saying 'sorry, it's been sunsetted' or some such utter bullshit. Two cases in point: I have a very new Hitachi (not really Hitachi of course) TV. The firmware is dated January 2019. I just know that I'm never going to get an update for it, because Vestel (who make dozens of different models for dozens of different companies) haven't got the resources to do it for these bottom-of-the-range TVs. Never mind that the TV is so far in advance of anything that was around even ten years ago.

And a more interesting point. I have an HP-41CX calculator that is 31 years old. By today's standards it is severely lacking in features. But it has an excellent set of maths routines, is programmable, can display alphanumeric stuff on its 12 character screen and can interface with printers and things (if you can find the equipment on ebay). It had very few updates during its 8-year manufacturing run. The point is that it doesn't really need them. It does its job today just as well as it did in 1988, and in fact just as well as its predecessor (with fewer functions and less RAM) did in 1979. Not only can it still do its job, but its job is still relevant. It calculates. The batteries last years on standby.

So how did we get from designing stuff that actually works, and keeps working for 30+ years, to stuff that goes out of date so quickly because it can't get updates and yet needs updates?

Look at the apple watch. When it first came out, there were versions that cost several thousand pounds (or dollars). Everyone knew there's be a new watch, making the old one pretty much useless. If I spent £10000 on a really nice Breitling or Rolex or Patek Phillipe, I would expect it to last a damn sight more than 5 or 6 years. But now, a device we call a watch lasts just a few years before it's out of date.

My iphone (last year's model) is a rather impressive people of tech. It's been superseded, but I know that in a few years it'll be a pointless paperweight. It's a lot more useful than an HP calculator, and a lot more expensive, but it's got such a short lifespan.

1. batfink

Re: How did we get here exactly?

I hope you can still write "BOOBIES" upside-down on your calculator...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I hope you can still write "BOOBIES" upside-down on your calculator...

On my trusty Ti-68, I can even write FUCK-YOU-BOSE

1. BigSLitleP

Re: I hope you can still write "BOOBIES" upside-down on your calculator...

Ah, the good ol' Ti-68. Think i've still got one sitting around in a drawer somewhere

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"incredibly cheap"

But these were BOSE.

1. DiViDeD

Re: "incredibly cheap"

But these were BOSE.

Yes. Ridiculously highly priced

But always incredibly cheap

3. batfink

I wonder if the problem is the "just-get-whatever-crap-out-the-door" Agile approach.

Almost all companies are pushing out products that then need to spend the next few years downloading updates to get them to the point that they should have been at in the first place.

1. DiViDeD

Re: Is Agile the problem?

Doubtful.

Bose have been pushing out barely adequate overpriced shit since long before Agile was a thing.

4. Luke McCarthy

If we stuck to CRT tellies none of this would have happened. LCDs created the need for a soundbar because they were too thin to have a decent speaker in them, then some bright spark thought it was a good idea to use Bluetooth instead of a wire to connect it. That requires a CPU and complex software to implement the Bluetooth network stack which created the need for firmware updates. One problem leads to a solution which leads to another problem...

1. martinusher Silver badge

The article suggested that the problem was in the ARC -- audio return channel -- of the HDMI interface.

And there's your problem -- its more important to implement copy protection and interface controls than it is to produce functional equipment. Many people have noticed that it really doesn't take a whole lot of technology to get audio from a TV to the loudspeakers but once you've got 'interfaces' involved -- especially proprietary ones -- then the whole thing becomes a crapshoot.

1. ovation1357

Indeed this does stink of problems created by DRM / Copy protection. None of this equipment is simple any more primarily because of all the misguided anti piracy measures in place.

The digital rights holders spend time lobbying the manufacturers who in turn design all sorts of complex and clever ways to stop people watching the wrong region of disc or ripping the audio or video for whatever purposes.

They all seem to miss the fact that just about any modern content is available illegally despite all this shit inconveniencing the regular punters, in top quality with no forced adverts, no annoying menus and the ability to just plug in to any TV, monitor or projector plus any old 1970s speakers and go..

2. John Dawson

Re: How did we get here exactly? HDMI strikes again

Aaah HDMI - we used to call it Hardly Defined Mostly Intermittent back in the day..... it's still tricky to implement 15 years later and if you choose the wrong part as the equipment manufacturer you may just be stuck. I have a (small) amount of sympathy for Bose in this instance.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

it's still tricky to implement

Tell me about it.

I have a reasonable Pioneer AV amplifier acting as the "hub" in my TV/HiFi system, but I have a problem on switch-on. We normally watch TV through an ageing Humax satellite receiver on an LG television. The TV switches on pretty quickly, as does the amplifier, and then sits there saying "no input" while the Humax takes about a minute to get going.

At some point during this process the TV sends a signal down the HDMI (ARC) cable which forces the Pioneer to swap from the "SAT/CABLE" input to the "TV" input so, even once the Humax has booted, there's still no picture or sound and you have to swap the Pioneer back to the correct input.

Interestingly, when I first put this system together this didn't happen. Instead, when watching DTT via the TV with ARC into the amplifier, the TV would randomly decide that ARC wasn't the done thing, and re-enable its (awful) internal speakers. I think I may have done a firmware update in the first year which seems to have solved this problem, but caused the second.

Thank goodness for the Logitech multi-remote.

M.

1. MJI Silver badge

Humax sat receivers need to warm up the LNBs.

They do it for reasons of standby electric usage.

2. Carrot007

> LCDs created the need for a soundbar

No that was rewmoving the bezel.

My old 720 lcd with bezel had great sound.

I missed the really crap era where they thought back facinf was a good idea! (your neighbours will love you for it ;-) )

Now they are ok, down facing thoughthe thinness does not help.

If only they could just puit a bezel at the bottom and have decent speakers and a budlge at the back at the bottom.

Oh yes, they can.

Why don't they. Well my current 50 inch LG $K TV being about half the cost (or maybe even less) than my old 720 LG. They needed to find a way to claw bakc the cost. The soundbars probably have a 95% markup.

1. MJI Silver badge

I wondered why I was happy with my LCD for TV sound.

Seems I have a large bezel with reasonable speakers under the panel.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Mine has no speakers and a bezel, but then again mine is a good old kuro display panel.

5. Peter2 Silver badge

So how did we get from designing stuff that actually works, and keeps working for 30+ years, to stuff that goes out of date so quickly because it can't get updates and yet needs updates?

Because the companies that made well made equipment went out of business because we are still using their products 30+ years on, and therefore don't get any more sales from us. (This typed on an IBM Model M, just for reference)

Meanwhile, the purveyors of cheap crap which doesn't last 6 months tend to sell the same bit of hardware to somebody every 3 months, resulting in approximately 60 sales in 30 years.

This works up until people like me start setting up people with antique tech that just works. I told somebody how to wire in a pair of ~fifty year old Wharfdale XP2 speakers as replacements to one of these fancy soundbars. Cost him about £30 for the speakers, another £20 for the amp to drive them and he's delighted with the better sound quality and the fact that it just works, no questions asked.

Look at the apple watch

I'd really rather not, but if I were to then i'd be forced to comment that it's a fashion accessory and not a timepiece. If you want to wear a watch to tell the time then you wear a casio. When you have people wearing Rolexes etc then it's an attempt to demonstrate your wealth without looking like a pretentious prat.

Wearing a (this years) apple watch is really no different to decking yourself out with lots of gold chains etc to show street cred; it's merely tacky and unsophisticated. Something that one doesn't do in polite society. Just don't dignify it, and it becomes as socially unacceptable as it is.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just a little info for you, my early 1950s Wharfedales, picked up from a charity shop for £15, probably cost about half the price of a house new, together the size of a fridge, are still working brilliantly. No fiirmware, no updates

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Coat

Yeah, maybe so, but are the "digital"?

1. quxinot
        Gimp

A prostate exam is digital. Doesn't mean it's particularly good, does it?

(Tastes vary, of course.)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Tastes vary, of course.

If you're tasting things they may have gone a little deep.

2. Aussie Doc
          Coat

If you can taste it, you're doing it wrong.

------> Rubber glove in the pocket.

9. MGJ

At Least The Manual Is Readable

I've only ever had good experience with Bose kit; maybe I'm just lucky. Try getting a Denon Receiver (ie 23-07 amplifier) to work with Dolby, HDMI and a multi speaker system for Blu-Ray, X-Box etc. It knows it has a centre speaker and left/right and sub connected but will not accept that it can use the same outputs for a different HDMI input, and the manual is completely incomprehensible.

1. Jay 2

Re: At Least The Manual Is Readable

Same here, though all my BOSE kit is in the 5-20 year old range now. Wave Radio CD, Acoustimas 10 speakers for TV/amp, Companion 2 speaker for Mac, QC15 cans for the rare occasions I find myself on a long haul flight etc. They sound good enough to me, YMMV etc.

10. Rainer

I have QC25 NC over ear headphones

The are NOT wireless and there were never any software-updates.

They work very well.

Apple will soon eat their lunch in the earphone-department. Because unlike Bose, they do issue firmware-fixes and if in the rare case these brick a device, they'll issue a fix to unbrick it soon after (or actually give you new hardware).

The AirPod Pro's are already almost as good as the Sony ANCs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I have QC25 NC over ear headphones

"The AirPod Pro's are already almost as good as the Sony ANCs."

So true. If I had shares in Bose, I'd be offloading them. Bose are starting to circle the drain.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> Literally the 700 is a paperweight. I need to powercycle/reset it every 2 days

Unless you have a paperweight that plays music for 2 days at a time, then you literally don't know what "literally" means.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re. you literally don't know what "literally" means

I think he meant it literally metaphorically :D

2. NightFox

To be fair, if he's also using the soundbar to weigh-down some loose sheets of A4 then he's correct.

12. DJO Silver badge

Cor babe, that's really free

Back in the early neolithic era we had a gig supporting Otway & Barrett who had a really tidy Bose PA - just one driver per side and it completely toasted our Malcolm Hill multi speaker PA.

Before they tried to get too clever Bose kit was really very good if rather expensive.

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Re: Cor babe, that's really free

That parallels my own experience; deafening but crystal clear sound out of a couple of speakers not much larger than suitcases. Not just great for gigs but also discos (yes, that dates me!).

Bose were Masters of Acoustic Arts; from 3-inch cube speakers with ridiculous power output to their 12-foot Bass Cannon. Not so hot on the software these days it seems.

Otway and Barrett - There's happy memories and both still gigging. Was there when they started and I got to see both of them in the last couple of years.

1. jelabarre59

Otway and Barrett - There's happy memories and both still gigging. Was there when they started and I got to see both of them in the last couple of years.

Did they give the broken Bose kit headbuts?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As far as I have heard, their Pro gear is still awesome as is their range of sound suppressing headsets, but those in the consumer division appear to only hire idiots who could not find their own d*ck with a flashlight.

We've had some issues with them before which resulted in a purchase ban of the brand. About the last remnant of Bose here is a Bose Companion 5 hanging off a PC. That, by the way, needed some serious tuning before it sounded right - that "Bass Overwhelms Sound Experience" is about right.

We like Sennheiser, though :)

1. Cederic Silver badge

I love Sennheiser for the sound but their microphones on their portable headsets pick up more background noise than voice and the microphones on their gaming headsets don't pick up background noise or voice.

Overall they're hard to recommend as a result.

13. 0laf
    Mushroom

This is the IoT in action, this is the future. Everyday items that won't work without a fucking data connection or a fucking app even though it adds nothing to the core function of the device. What it does add is massive complexity and therfore an exponential increase in the number of possible failures, it also adds an opportunity for the supplier to make your device cease to function for reasons other than its core function.

Apps in cars scare me. My car phones home to its builder not me. Some can be opened by a fucking phone app. Does no one see how absolutely batshit mental that is?

Back on topic, I have some BOSE QuietComfort Headphones, They're wired so dumb as rocks, they just work, I like them a lot.

I have a soundbar and a sub for my TV. I have an LG tv so I got an LG soundbar and sub. They talk to each other over bluetooth and optical cable. Nothing smart no internet, no firmware. They just work. I hat to switch to a Panasonic TV, I connected up the LG soundbar. It just works.

I hate 'smart' devices.

14. balrog

Has Bose stuff ever been any good? I haven't really been into hifi in a long time but it was B&W price with Amstrad performance. Always looked nice though.

15. chivo243 Silver badge

Back in the day, 40+ years ago

My folks upgraded to some serious audio kit, and the BOSE speakers they bought were good, to my 10yr old ears anyway.

16. Nick

I'm very happy with this: https://www.whathifi.com/dali/kubik-one/review

I think that Bose gets a lot of flack from "audiophiles" due to its reliance on commodity drivers and software tuning rather than hand-built, beautiful-to-behold units made in a shed in Wiltshire. To my ears at least, Bose delivers a pretty inoffensive sound that can be listened to for prolonged periods without problem. It's only when you compare what else you could get for the investment that the whole Bose proposition falls down.

The abysmal software/customer service thing is just the future I fear, since most people *won't* vote with their feet, they'll just upgrade after a little moan on FB etc.

17. j.bourne

"I need to powercycle/reset it every 2 days."

I smell a user-manual update in the sidelines - "Turn it off and back on again one a day to ensure a full BOSE experience" maybe?

Seriously though - If it were a paperweight no amount of turning on and back off again would work for any useful period of time would it?

Can I just add - do you (the quoted speaker - from the article) do anything else other than watch TV? Like Sleep, eat, have a life outside of your TV space? What I'm getting at is, don't you turn it off and go do something else at least once a day anyway?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"What I'm getting at is, don't you turn it off and go do something else at least once a day anyway?"

Most people "turn off" using the remote. I'm guessing the device needs a full and proper power cycle to get it working again.

2. Boo Radley

I Have a Life

But I leave the tv on 24/7, ostensibly so the cats won't feel lonely. They haven't told me whether it works or not.

18. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Talking speakers I have a cheap optical to stereo converter attached to an acoustic research amp and some mission speakers that I bought second hand for a total of £30 (amp plus speakers). It sounds better than my dad’s £240 Bose soundbar.

19. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Boffin

TITSUP - Best I Could Do (Though My Muse May Strike Later).

Total Inability Transmitting Sound - Universally Plumbless.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too snobbish, not commercially focused

I'm busy with a few restaurants (cool side effect: you never go hungry) and we're busy installing sound that is 100% compliant with music licensing.

Where they are, one of the easiest ways to do that is setting up a Tunify Blue account for the sound feed (although they need some kicking for mixing in too many covers), and then pay the remaining local fees. Using Sonos, that's a simple exercise (apart from the fact that Sonos groups refuse to be permanent, but I digress), but when we asked Bose when they would add the Tunify service we got back a fairly snotty reply that they were not even considering it (they suggested setting up a music library or use Bluetooth, the exact thing we were trying to avoid as that is just extra cost and maintenance).

In other words, they actively denied themselves the ability to sell multiple units into places where their cost would be a minor consideration.

Obviously we simply bought 10 Sonos One SL (the ones without the microphones) and brackets and installed those - all works fine. It took more time to get power supplied and mount the brackets than to get the speakers set up.

The owner of the chain, meanwhile, has booted out every other bit of Bose gear. Judging by these reports, that was none to soon..

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I spent the annual salary on this system

aka "an arm and a leg". And all I got was this lousy update...

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Soundbar: an incredibly expensive replacement for an amp and speakers...

Still using ALL the speakers that I have had for 30 years. Really! Amps have come and gone as features have come and gone. But I can get a new 7.2 amp RIGHT NOW that spews 180w/channel into my 7 20-30 year old speakers... for $220. And I GUARANTEE that it sounds better than this $900 paperweight.

23. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

I got the impression "Were good, but went a bit s**t later"

Although I've never owned any Bose kit.

So it have just been a fancy rep, and a very few quite good early products?

Or is it they are good at the core electronics but s**t at the whole running software updates thing?

IOW yet another tech company that hasn't realized it's now in the computer biz, with proper upgrade testing and roll out cycles.

1. DiViDeD

Re: I got the impression "Were good, but went a bit s**t later"

Not really. Bose's real "contribution" was psycho accoustics - basically colouring the sound with complex wave guides and resonant enclosures, to make certain types of music sound subjectively "better" on Bose units - a bit like Beats. Boost the bass and people think the sound is fuller, or richer.

Beyond that, they've traded for years on the idea that if it's expensive, it must be good. Generally, they do no R&D (their biggest expense line is marketing), and they fill their, often quite poorly constructed, units with generic, low cost components.

But the boxes are always shiny shiny.

24. sanmigueelbeer

A few years ago, BOSE ran into a fiasco when they released an firmware update to their flagship QC35. The firmware update degraded the ANC performance of the headphones.

The update wasn't the fiasco. It was when several people started posting the issue at the BOSE website. Those people who started the thread noticed that, without any notice, the threads were deleted by the moderators.

Fast forward, the moderators came clean and, using lawyer jargon, "did not admit any wrongdoing" and "BOSE website is owned by BOSE and we can do whatever we want (including deleting threads that bad mouth the company)" finally caved in.

BOSE finally issued a world-wide recall of QC35 headset regardless of age in order to stop the issue getting worst.

1. NightFox

Do you have any details of this QC-35 recall? I can't see anything online (just hundreds of complaint threads) - I'm not being snarky, just interested as a 'victim'

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

QC35 headphones

They did the same in June 2019 with a firmware update that ruined the noise canceling ability of the whole QC35 line and have said and done nothing about at all. Most people think it’s so they can try and sell more headphones. Bose is a bad company

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: QC35 headphones

I don't get why people would even update the firmware. (Or install the BOSE app, which DEMANDS location service is turned on when you open it, yes, really, for an app to control the EQ and settings on a pair of headphones!) They work fine without the app, and I don't see why they'd need new firmware. Ever.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cast offs

The wife works in retail.

Occasionally she gets 'returns' from unhappy customers.

I have a standing request to always buy the 'used' BOSE gear.

Dirt cheap, no complaints from me yet.

BOSE noise cancelling headphones

BOSE wall mounted pool room speakers

BOSE SoundTouch wifi speaker *

* although their software update process is definitely iffy.

27. Opto

Bose wifi headphones paperweights also

Upgrade your WiFi Bose QC35 headphones and turn them into paperweights also. Never buying Bose again.

28. Ian Johnston Silver badge

Easy rule: never trust any company which advertises stuff without revealing the price.

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Or as my mum always put it: "if you have to ask, you can't afford it"

29. NonSSL-Login
    Megaphone

Blame Microsoft

I blame Bill Gates and Microsoft.

Microsoft started the pattern of releasing stuff with the thought of allowing customers to find the bugs which they will then fix with a patch at a later date.

Then software companies and game companies started doing the same. Release bugged to hell software with promises of a software fix or two further down the line.

Now its hardware with firmware updates being pushed out the door without proper testing and it's 50/50 if it gets a firmware update to fix the fault and if so how many patches they will get to fix the various issues that should have been fixed before the product was released.

As much as im all for patching quickly for best security practises, there is no way I would update firmware on my TV or other electronic equipment without reading reviews of others using it first to see what new problems have been introduced. It can be weeks to a month later I update now, if at all.

30. BGatez

reviews on Amazon US- heh

https://www.fakespot.com/product/bose-soundbar-700-with-alexa-voice-control-built-in-black

31. Moishe
    Unhappy

Vaporware for the paperweight Lexus

Bose was always overly confident in its rightfulneess and ignorant in paid customers opinions, im interests and rights, reluctantly refusing to acknowledge product design issues. The QC35 noise cancelation firmware saga here:https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/Bose-QC-35-ii-firmware-4-5-2/td-p/213820 , the design flaw of the newest Bose 700 headphones hinges https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/Bose-700-hindge-noises/m-p/252104#M50523 , this thread. Very dishonest on Bose side. I will never buy another Bose product again.

32. Jens Goerke

Banana software

Delivered green to ripen at the customers', who have agreed to do the testing according to the small print in the manual. Ever since computing has become cheap enough to replace dedicated hardware, customers demanding replacements under warranty get told that their problems will be solved "in the next update" until their warranty expires.

Hacked or open source software is available for more and more devices, so whenever I have the choice I go for those products which have already been hacked - no problems with updates anymore, the open source community is far better than any company.

33. infernalsounder

The Great Pretender

Took a dislike to the Bose sound way back with the 901 reflecting speakers along with the price tag. They sue anyone who gives a bad review. Won't provide any detailed spec on their products and moderate their forum comments like a Noth Korean gulag fan club.

34. David Hall 1

If you want to get them moving...

Start buying and returning new units after you update complaining about the issue.

Because it's new they have no choice but not to accept back but the restocking will start costing them a small fortune.

1. jelabarre59

Re: If you want to get them moving...

Start buying and returning new units after you update complaining about the issue.

Guerilla Consumerism, I like it.

35. cob2018

Speaker Choices

Once upon a time I received some training in electronics and sound performance at government expense ( US Navy ) and that led me to the viewpoint of evaluating audio gear by manufacturer's performance specs AND observed performance. Even when Bose DID publish specs on their gear, my comparisons led me to products that had better performance and prices. Even 30 years after doing performance comparisons I still re-run the process to confirm that the conclusions are still valid with current equipment. The most recent example is that when upgrading to home theater setup last year I picked up 3 Polk Audio speakers to go with the existing two Polk column speakers. Good prices with performance that satisfies ME, and the fact that the logos match on all of the speakers is just a cute little bonus.

36. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Firmware downgrade and lock

Ideally this wouldn't happen.

But really, there's two abilities I would like my devices to have which would help with this kind of problem. 1) Be able to download firmware (including past versions), and load it onto the device. 2) This does of course mean having the capability to disable automatic updates, since otherwise you'd flash an older firmware on and it'd just autoupdate itself.

If the Bose allowed this, then it'd still be pretty weak to have something broken for that long, but if it had previously been working they'd be able to simply load the older firmware on and shut off automated updates.

37. AngryMan

Big name...No performance...Future doomed

I am the sad owner of a Mini Link Bluetooth speaker, well it WAS a speaker until the internal programming made it a "brick". What a load of crap, the factory forced this perfectly good remote speaker into "brick mode" which means it needs a "reboot" from the factory to work. Well, the speaker is not "supported" after a total of 14 months from new and the factory pretends this bastard child never existed and provides no support or "reboot". I have a stylish POS, why did I buy from this shoddy company?

38. No Yb

Bose isn't the only one breaking their products. Every HP printer "security update" is very likely to stop you from using third-party ink cartridges, until the ink cartridge vendors find a new way around it. They do this quite regularly now.

Thanks to this method of security, and the abilities of 3rd party ink hackers, I will never use HP ink in an HP printer aside from the required "setup cartridges".

39. Bluto Nash

Holy cr@P

This is why we use physical links like TOSLINK for audio. None of this futzing about with wireless and (oh, HELL no) EQ-ed to death to make up for audio insufficiencies hardware.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon