back to article Tonight on Tales from the Crypto: It lives! GPU flinger Nvidia bouncing back after miner affair

The ill-conceived and costly error of doubling down on the crypto-market is almost a distant memory for Nvidia as the GPU maker reported results that indicate an upward turn in fortunes. Nvidia turned over $3.014bn in sales for the three months ended 27 October, down 5 per cent year-on-year but up 17 per cent on the prior …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Automotive

Surprised automotive is down

We do medical devices and everytime we try and get our hands on some Nvidia ARM product it's only available for automotive.\

I guess if you buy parts by the million with years long product lines you make sales peopel very happy

2. Dadz

design wins

nVidia has two design wins so far with automotive - Volvo is the big name so far - and Daimler/Bosch (Mercedes-Benz) will see implementation in 2020 - we should see some increased revenues after that. nVidia makes most of its money from mid-range - Bosch needs to make an affordable self-driving controller that can be shoehorned into any modern car, just like they do now with adaptive cruise control. These revenues won't take off until LIDAR prices come down.

1. Aitor 1

Re: design wins

I dont see LIDAR being the future.. what we need is decent processing.. we don´t have LIDAR, yet we drive with way less processing power than a modern ARM processor.

If you think about it, we humans just use two cameras (AKA eyes) plus object recognition to determine distance from objects.. and we should be able to do the same with cars, hence no LIDAR needed.

1. Nuno trancoso

You can't see too well in the dark, and neither can imaging sensors. LIDAR can. In fact, in time, the raw force that will drive "autonomous everything" will be preciselly how much more they can sense from the environment (and process said data) when compared to to our own set of sensors (and reaction(time)).

1. Zack Mollusc
          Boffin

My eyes can see in total darkness much better than LIDAR as long as, like the LIDAR,I am allowed to use a bright light source to illuminate objects and interpret the reflected light.

1. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

LIDAR can detect the precise velocity and location of objects without needing nearly as much processing power. Isolating distinct objects is more reliable with the pixel by pixel depth and velocity data so objects standout in very high contrast to the background.

I think we are many years away from a stereoscopic camera setup that matches human ability to recognize objects and human ability has proven to make to many mistakes.

3. Cederic Silver badge

nvidia underwhelming

They pushed ray tracing as the big differentiator but it's made marginal difference to graphics quality and has a performance overhead that really doesn't justify the difference.

Add to that the modest improvements in more traditional graphics performance, the multiple variants of multiple families of cards confusing things and the high prices relative to AMD graphics cards, and it's not a surprise they're getting fewer gaming sales than last year.

I'm still using a 2016 PC for gaming that's coping perfectly well with the latest games (albeit I haven't tried Red Dead Redemption) so the pressure to upgrade just isn't there. When I do need to make a change, I may ditch nvidia for the first time in 15 years. They need to do better to compete; price, performance and power all factor in, and they can't rely any more on the ATI driver issues that helped them create their early market dominance.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: nvidia underwhelming

Same, here. I've managed to get a brand new 1080ti for 600 bucks and am really happy about it.

And for US people, although it's quite expensive on the US market, here in EU, it's a real bargain. Not sure why, but those are really much cheaper from your side !

I would have bought an AMD card, but the issue is my rig is a mini-ITX and anything AMD would set it on fire ...

"The desktop GPU lineup has been refreshed as the GTX 1660 Super and the 1650 Super were brought to the fore over the Pascal-based 1060 – Nvidia's best-selling gaming GPU."

Yeah, they hijacked the 1XXX line with those low Turing, just to confuse everyone into buying Turing.

Shame, really.

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Gimp

Re: nvidia underwhelming

After spending the better part of an hour wrestling with trying to (re)install nVidia drivers on my friend's computer last night, I think that currently AMD have the better drivers.

At least you don't need to create an account and log into the AMD drivers just to update them.

4. Starace
    Devil

Overpriced

They might shift more product and make more money overall if their prices relaxed back a bit, currently they range from steep to utterly insane when you look at the proper good stuff.

And that's before you get to the double-dipping for things like vGPU. That leaves a really nasty taste, charging to use hardware you already paid a fortune for.

And when you consider the mostly minimal improvements in performance with time and what seems like a slowdown in product iteration it feels like they've got lazy.

Shame, as my need for fast GPU is growing by the day for all sorts of things.

5. EscapedTheInsanity

RTX Minecraft......

......is not released yet and no announced date so should not be classed as a "Ray Traced" game.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like