back to article TalkTalk says it's yet to close deal on FibreNation as UK telecoms industry reels over Labour's nationalisation plans

TalkTalk has yet to find a buyer for its infrastructure investment vehicle Fibre Nation, the business revealed in its results for the half year to 30 September. The budget ISP had delayed the publication of its financials earlier this week, alluding to a pending sale of Fibre Nation as the possible reason. Fibre Nation was …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

re: large pots of VC money

Why not call it what it really is...

DEBT

VC load up a company with huge amounts of debt and then depart hoping that the business does not collapse before the deal closes.

Very few VC deals made since 2005 end well.

2. Claverhouse Silver badge
    WTF?

Overly Excited

Rather shrill and nervous to be 'reeling' when it's not likely Labour will even get in... Financial people no longer seem to be the tough stoics of the 'My Word is My Bond' periods.

Mind you, I would bravely predict a labour government is more likely than the mumsy Miss Swinson forming a cabinet, or any other of her party ever.

Yet if anyone should be nationalised it's Talk Talk. Just because.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Overly Excited

Yes, unfortunately you're probably right - millions of idiots will be voting for one of two clowns, both of whom are incapable of anything resembling leadership, and will subsequently wonder why their chosen one isn't actually leading :/

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What on earth is wrong with being "mumsy"? She's a woman about the age where she'd have kids, of course she's f'ing mumsy. Just like Corbyn is grandadsy and Boris is stupid.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Exactly... what is the point in even considering the prospect of a labour government?

I have it on good authority that our next prime minister is going to be that Jo Swinson fellow, whoever he is.

4. macjules

"Labour's policy would decimate the business plans of TalkTalk"

Be hard to see how any political party could do more than TalkTalk have already done to themselves.

3. Pen-y-gors

Interesting costiing

TalkTalk were planning on installing 3 million 'full fat fibre' links for 1.5 Bn. That wouldn't perhaps be in nice easy-to-reach urban areas? Cherry-picking? Leaving the rather more expensive rural stuff to Openreach. And then complaining that Openreach are expensive. If Labour (or anyone) are serious then they should require than everyone should offer a service everywhere, then leave them to fight about who lays the fibre and how much they charge each other. Or have a publicly-owned network? Turn Openreach into a not-for-profit community interest company?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

offer a service everywhere

Yes, those townies can subsidise our wonderful views of the rolling hills. And we'd like to keep our clean air clean thank you so you can now pay the tourist tax the council has so wonderfully decided to charge non-residents.

And we get full fat cable too now so we just order everything from Amazon and get that delivered for the same price as those in the cities. And the post. And the red diesel. Oh look, fresh lamb.

5. TheProf
    WTF?

Don't know about that

“Fibre broadband is good news for customers and TalkTalk. It offers a faster, more reliable service whilst also reducing churn......"

I swap (or is it churn?) my broadband as soon as the contract finishes. Why would you stay with they same provider when the price goes up 25% at the end of your 18 month contract?

Hello new contract and a nice introductory payout from TopQuidcoCashBack.

Anyone want a slightly used branded modem?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon