back to article Like a BAT outta hell, Brave browser hits 1.0 with crypto-coin rewards for your fave websites

The privacy-focused Brave web browser has reached version 1.0, available now for Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS and Android. Brave, an open-source browser based on the Google Chromium project, is notable for two things. First, it blocks ads, trackers and cross-site cookies by default. This feature is called Shields. An icon in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ol'Peculier

I've been using Brave for a while, in this time I've apparently had over 330K ads and trackers blocked, 12K HTTPS upgrades and has saved me nealy 5 hours.

It's worth a look, although as the article states the script blocking can bork certain, but not many, sites.

1. cookieMonster Silver badge
      Pint

Upvote for the beer handle

Have a pint

1. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

Re: Upvote for the beer handle

Personally I prefer Turbot's Really Odd. After all, we certainly know what goes into good beer in Ankh-Morpork, although, that is why most of the UU faculty drink gin and tonic.

1. Kane
          Thumb Up

Re: Upvote for the beer handle

Preferable to being Knurd.

2. Anonymous Cowtard

If you have your own domain it's straightforward to pay yourself to browse.

Join up as a publisher, register your site, when the monthly grant arrive send a tip your own site.

OK, it isn't a fortune, around £80-worth of tokens so far this year.

3. Amentheist

Brave's pretty decent but start up times recently have been declining and I've gradually reintroduced FF which seems to be performing pretty well. Good thing about brave is with the chromium engine it can fool sites its Chrome and so many web admins don't bother testing other browsers nowadays.

4. teknopaul

I gave it a look, the first thing it did when I entered a url was send it to Google! Looked at search engine options and only Google has an icon. Either they didnt change chrome much or they missed the main privacy fail.

Back to FireFox + duckduckgo for me

1. P. Lee

I believe it defaults to ddg in privacy mode, but you can turn it on for everything.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I've tried it as well

On my mobile phone and my desktop.

On the phone, I absolutely love it. Chrome can go take a hike. Pages load almost instantly, and I no longer see the clutter around and in between what it is I actually came to read.

On the desktop, I curiously continue using Firefox, although I am telling everyone else to use Brave. My wife adopted it immediately, because of all the hassle ads are on the shopping sites she goes to. Isn't that ironic ? Ads on a shopping site. You'd think they'd be more interested in providing a clean experience to make a user happy and get more repeat visits, therefor selling more. Oh well.

3. chivo243 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Just tried it last month

I installed an older operating system, on older hardware, brave runs well on it. Better than Chrome! I will have to look into the extra features.

4. James 47

"In 2014, he was forced to resign as Mozilla CEO (after just a short time in the job) because of his views on same-sex marriage."

What has this got to do with anything?

Brave is very useful for listening to music on youtube during work.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Terminator

What has this got to do with anything?

There are people who might choose not to use products from companies whose owners or management have views they find repugnant. Being told that Eich has view which some people find repugnant may help them make informed decisions about whether to use Brave.

That\'s what it's got to do with anything.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Please do publish your list of companies that employ people holding 'repugnant' views. Or to save space, the list of companies that do not employ anyone holding 'repugnant' views. Do remember to take your company off that second list.

(you come off sounding more be-nazi than be-nicey)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Mushroom

Did I say anything about companies employing people with views that people might find repugnant? Because almost certainly refusing to employ people on those grounds is illegal in many jurisdictions. No, I said companies controlled by (specifically I said 'companies whose owners or management') people whose views people may find repugnant. That is not the same thing, at all.

But, hey, never miss an opportunity to anonymously call someone a nazi, right. I have relatives who died horrible deaths because of nazis, so it's always an insult I appreciate.

Fuck you.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
            Meh

regardless of "FEELINGS" (which are both IRRELEVANT _and_ highly subjective), a job is an exchange of work for money. Any requirement beyond making more money for the hirer than is spent in wages, equivalent savings being a big part of that, is a RIDICULOUS requirement, and might as well be race, sex, or religion with respect to DISCRIMINATION.

that being said, someone who speaks out about politics all of the time in the work environment, and frequently offends people, may be terminated on the grounds that it's creating a "hostile work environment". work is for work. [politics can be 'shared' after hours unless you know it's not a problem].

And that's all that should matter. Too many hypersensitive easily-triggered SJW SNOWFLAKES out there... and THEY need to STFU and be "more accommodating".

the "Cancel Culture" is JUST! PLAIN! WRONG!!!

1. veti Silver badge

"FEELINGS" are IRRELEVANT to what, exactly? If you want me to work for you, or do business with you, you'll find my feelings toward you are highly relevant. It's a relationship, after all.

As for "Any requirement beyond making more money for the hirer than is spent in wages", that statement is just plain silly. My employment contract has clauses not only about my hours and place of work, but also about confidentiality, refraining from bad-mouthing my employer, refraining from making public statements on their behalf, stealing their IP or their employees, and other things. And, conversely and reciprocally, there are things I require of them - flexibility in hours of work, a safe and healthy working environment, etc. Neither of us thinks any of these requirements are RIDICULOUS, else I wouldn't be here.

And Bob - seriously, the generous use of SHOUTING throughout your posts makes it look very much as if you are the one who's "easily-triggered" around here.

2. Rich 11

Did somebody just hurt your feelings, Snowflake Bob?

1. Huw D

I've just started singing "Snowflake Bob" to the tune of Postman Pat.

Thanks for that.

Snowflake Bob, Snowflake Bob,

Snowflake Bob and his ALL CAPS gob...

Early in the morning, just as day is dawning,

He types up all the RANTS INSIDE HIS HEAD.

You can have it too.

2. Alumoi Silver badge

....may help them make informed decisions about whether to use Brave.

So, company A makes a fine product but it's managed by a homophobe while company B makes a crap product but it's managed by a homophile. I must buy from company B 'cause LGBT rigths?

Wow, just wow. I don't care who makes the product as long as it's fit for my needs, good quality and cheap (if possible).

Downvote me all you want but normal people don't 'make informed decisions' based on the management of a corporation. They just buy whatever they need at the lowest price they get

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"So, company A makes a fine product but it's made with child labour while company B makes a crap product but it's made by adult workers, fairly paid. I must buy from company B 'cause workers' and human rights?

Wow, just wow. I don't care who makes the product as long as it's fit for my needs, good quality and cheap (if possible).

Downvote me all you want but normal people don't 'make informed decisions' based on the management of a corporation. They just buy whatever they need at the lowest price they get"

Still makes sense to you???

You have my downvote.

1. veti Silver badge

Good grief.

In order for your equivalence to be valid, you have to assume that:

1. opposing gay marriage == homophobia

2. homophobia morally == child labour and/or slavery

3. manufacturing processes == a CEO's personal beliefs

I personally think *all* of those assumptions are complete bullshit.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I don’t get it - both are about human rights.

Are you saying LGBT rights are a “lesser” version of human rights?

Are you saying one is not “as bad” and not “as important” and so is by implication, acceptable?

Aren’t you showing your own prejudice? You do realise that if you replace a term and it doesn’t hold, it implies prejudice against that group?

In your case, you seem to be clearly indicating LGBT rights are not important or relevant.

Your line of reasoning is very similar to when they were trying to abolish abolishing slavery. It was morally acceptable to enslave people then.

And a CEO personal beliefs can and does affect their choices. If a CEO is a white supremacist in their personal beliefs, and believes that women are inferior, are you saying that it will not influence his company’s policies?

All you’ve done is to say LGBT rights are not as important and not as relevant as children’s rights. I don’t know how that isn’t prejudiced.

1. P. Lee
                Facepalm

I'm sure there are places where the LGB&T people are in physical danger. The West is generally not one of them.

LGBT "rights" appear largely to revolve around forcing other people to do or say things they don't want to do or say, or silencing other people's opinions.

Suggesting the lack of "rights" like that is akin to slavery is utterly disingenuous.

You have the right to say you are married. Other people have the right to say you are not. Everyone has the right to be offended and to be wrong. It is the price of freedom.

People need to stop behaving like children.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

@P.Lee.

Either the state recognizes it for all or for none - it cannot be preferential on this - that is bias.

Remove all legislation on marriage and let it be purely a religious thing then.

"The West is generally not one of them."

Just because it happens less doesn't make it a non-issue - it is like saying burglaries happen less in the West, so no need to work on improving burglary rates.

That is disingenuous.

You need to grow up - you are acting like a child by "it is good enough from your point of view, so it isn't a problem for everyone else" argument. You are redefining what "rights" means and then dismissing it - judge and jury.

If you really think it isn't a problem trying holding hands with a guy in public. :) Do you not hesitate in your mind? Why?

You do have a problem in America in general with all discussion of social issues - I agree there is a problem there. I am reminded of coal faced miners being offensive to African Americans.

This is ridiculous but that is used as an excuse to the kind of thinking you have reflected here.

It does not mean that excluding rights becomes acceptable, that forcing people to do things and to silencing others is acceptable. On either side.

In your response, You are guilty of the very thing you disagree with.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Winding back to the American Civil War, when child labour wasn’t accepted, but slavery was acceptable amongst some groups, a person who implicitly thought slavery was ok would say,

In order for your equivalence to be valid, you have to assume that:

1. opposing slavery == racism

2. Slavery morally == child labour

3. manufacturing processes == a CEO's personal beliefs

I personally think *all* of those assumptions are complete bullshit.

The point of substitution is to bring out the latent and subconscious prejudice. The “equivalence” is about other groups that might fit your “moral” bearings.

2. Trixr

If you think people make purchasing choices solely on price/fitness for purpose, you should become an economist, because that is precisely the kool-aid they like to drink.

Yes, for many of us, those criteria are indeed the most important.

For others, it's only price, or only features (you will pay whatever it takes), or the logo on it, or because some vacuous celeb endorsed it, or your football team gets their kit off them, or it was the last ad you saw on TV....

Refusing to buy goods on ethical grounds has been around since boycotts and picket lines were invented, so let's not pretend it's anything new.

Yes, as a queer person, I would rather do without than pay money to COMPANIES who use their profits to contribute to organisations or political campaigns that "don't believe" in my equal rights. For the individuals who work at those companies, I don't care what they do with their money, although some people are so loathsome I don't particularly want to contribute to their personal income either (Larry*cough*Ellison).

For some goods/services, there may literally be no alternative, although I can't see that happening very often. So infrequently, actually, that your false dichotomy was instantly eye-roll-inducing.

If there aren't any ethical criteria you care about, fine, buy what the hell you like. If you choose to publicise what you buy and if it is indeed distasteful - toothpicks made from Amazonian rainforest timber or whatever - then sure, be prepared to be criticised for it. But if you legitmately don't care what "snowflakes" think of your purchasing choices, why would such criticism bother you?

But let's not pretend that any of us are public figures - if I knew you personally, I might well judge you, but again, so what? The judgements would be flowing both ways in that instance and would have zero impact on your life.

And yes, the judgements do flow both ways. We've just had a sports star bleating on about how the massive fires in Australia are the "fault" of us dirty queers. That's been going on a lot longer than a bit of wondering about why people choose to fund organisations that actively disparage whole sectors of the population.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

you answered this very calmly, and so many people got upset that someone else (not even you, because you didn't say anything about your own opinion) might not want to use *checks notes* a web browser, lmao. the irony of people in this thread yelling about sensitivity/pc/cancel culture, while they're triggered over an explanation of why some people might wanna exercise their right to not use a free product.

5. BenDwire Silver badge
    Holmes

* Cough Cough *

You can cough all you like, but if ElReg doesn't register itself with Brave then you won't get fed.

I've been using Brave on Linux since dumping Windows earlier in the year, and it really is rather good.

1. pakman

Re: * Cough Cough *

I've mentioned this before in a comment to a previous El Reg article about Brave, and the response was a bit meh... Maybe it's time to reconsider. You would be in good company, for example:

* https://arstechnica.com/

* https://www.wikipedia.org/

* https://www.xda-developers.com/

* https://www.qwant.com/

* https://www.theguardian.com

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Can you blacklist recipients of tips?

1. pakman

Yes - there are two approaches, you can do either or both:

* Enable auto-contribute, but exclude sites that you visit that you don't want to receive BAT. This takes some extra work to catch every site that you want to exclude, but the ones that you rarely visit would hardly get anything anyway, since the sizes of the contributions relate to the number of visits. Unclaimed contributions will be returned to your wallet after 90 days, or you can recover them earlier by hand. Auto-contribute is good for spreading your contributions around according to your browsing habits.

* Tip explicitly every site that you want to support. You can make those tips recurring. This is a good solution if your aim is to support specific sites (maybe as an anonymous alternative to subscribing).

2. Excellentsword (Written by Reg staff)

I've flagged it up with ops, my good sir, so watch this space. I use Brave for everything too.

1. sbt
        Devil

/Brave/ of you to pitch this to the readers ...

... without being ready to roll in the readies. I guess the expectation is that readers around here have discovered ad blocking already, so no big revenue hit?

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Re: /Brave/ of you to pitch this to the readers ...

Since this seems to have El' Reg attention, let me be clear: The ad networks have irretrievably crossed the line. Even ignoring the substantial convenience issues (bandwidth, random tab noises, click over/under, etc), and privacy violations, these ads are by far my most serious threat of malware. I do BANKING on this computer. I cannot have these ads.

I want you to get paid for your work. I really, really do. But not at the risk of having my system taking over by a malicious actor.

1. pakman

"The ad networks have irretrievably crossed the line."

Pity I can't upvote you more than once.....

2. Nick Ryan Silver badge

There are Ads on El Reg? Where? :)

Seriously though - if these things were relatively harmless and non-intrusive then I wouldn't care so much. However auto-play, popups, pop unders, click tracking, content poisoning, advert injection, click redirection, content behind ad controlled doors and so on... bugger ye right off.

Also, with AdBlock (or similar), my web browsing is considerably less painful. There now many are sites that I just cannot use without an advert blocker because the numbskulls who run them think that the more adverts that they posion their websites with the more money they will nake. Not true. There are fewer views which, being a numbskull, they take as needing more adverts due to less income from them... and so it goes round until the site is 99.999% advert and occasionally a bit of real content.

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Unhappy

I should check to see if there's a port for FreeBSD yet...

nope. doesn't look like it. (I'm too busy to write one, will just wait I suppose)

6. TeeCee Gold badge
    Facepalm

That explains a lot

...blocks ads, trackers and cross-site cookies by default.

This presumably makes it persona non grata with the major ad pushers. That, in turn, explains why I've only ever seen it mentioned from the seedier side of the clickbait business. That's why I've never looked into it, in the same way I've never looked into how the good residents of Leigh-on-Sea[1] pay for their funerals.

HEAVY HINT: That sort of advertising is never going to appeal to the sort of person who'd be interested in your product. You're wasting your money.

[1] Or any of the other places mentioned that are fixated on paying for death.

1. katrinab Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: That explains a lot

They seem to be obessed with telling me what the residents of a village called Belper are getting crazy about. I looked it up, it seems like a very boring place and I have no plans to visit.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: That explains a lot

Most are also obsessed with selling me another of something that I've just bought.... advertising intelligence? Where?

7. Comedy of Errors

Installer works for me

"You can get Brave here, though we hit a curious problem where the installer claims it isn't able to connect to the internet"

Worked fine for me. Maybe they fixed it.

1. Stuart Halliday

Re: Installer works for me

Brave was hit temporarily by the Chrome white screen of death. All better now.

8. Chris Gray 1
    Meh

Minor use here

I've had Brave installed (Linux) for a while, but don't use it much. I use it every now and then to work with a web-mail portal at my ISP that I need to use for an association I'm involved with. Under Firefox/NoScript it just doesn't work.

My main problem is that I've never been able to find out exactly what it does in terms of scripts, etc. It also needs fully updating annoyingly often.

I do agree with the general concept of micropayments, and so am happy to participate in the experiment.

9. flixy

Photo ID required

I like the idea of a pay as you go browser to avoid ads (sites need to earn money somehow), but when the payment service (Uphold) requires me to share name, address and photo of my driving license/passport, then the answer is no way. Fix this, and I'd consider using Rewards and paying my way.

1. John 73

Re: Photo ID required

There's no ID requirement to use Brave or its BAT payment scheme. Perhaps that was a while ago?

10. DangerM0use

Brave... A bit flakey for me

I had been using Brave for the past 6-9 months up until very recently. Then, out of the blue one morning, it starting closing after about 30 seconds across a number of desktops. I’d started questioning whether I had closed it my mistake. Each time you'd restart it, 30 seconds later it was gone. No error. Nothing.

Their support forums slowly filled up with people suffering the same issue. The development team did respond quite quickly and tracked the issue down to the sync feature and recommended that people disable it. But the issue or resolution was never really explained and they just kept asking for more and more crash dumps. The issue is still open on the forum with no updates from the development for at least 2 months.

Around the same time, my bookmarks got really screwed up. Moving around and duplicated over and over and over. Essentially becoming a total mess. I tried to fix it but it just kept getting worse. Thankfully I had taken a backup of my bookmarks before all this started - when they suggested disabling the sync to stop the crashes.

After numerous requests for an update or response there was just silence from the development team. I finally gave up last week.

To be fair, it was a decent browser all in all but there was always something not quite right with the bookmark sync. I'd always noticed that from time to time, a bookmark would move or be in a different order. That was a minor thing that was happy to put up with but the mess I ended up with was ridiculous. And the lack of response was disappointing. I just don't have the time or patience for that - I need a browser that just works. So I've moved back to Firefox again. With the right plugins so you aren't loading all the crud, it's seems just as fast to me.

I don't really have a problem with ads. Never have. I appreciate that sites and services need to generate income. The issue for me is the underhanded tracking from site-to-site and the selling and sharing of such information. Plus, the 10-20 seconds or more they add to the loading of any given web page. If sites would cut out all the garbage, I'd happily disable my ad blocker.

I still have Brave on mobile and have recently enabled the 'reward' feature which must have come down in the latest update. The last few ads I received were rather annoying. It appears as an App notification at the top of the screen. It feels like the beginnings of a glorified advertising platform, masquerading as something useful. Where have we seen that before?

11. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Robert Grant

Re: What's so wrong with just using a donate buttton?

I don't think it mines them.

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

How else would it get them? It does. It just doesn't overheat your processor when doing so. (It takes less bandwidth than ads typically do...)

1. Tom 7

I'd imagine it costs your company more for the electricity than you receive in craptocurrency so you are going to lose in the long run.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Meh

electricity in Cali-Fornicate-You is the *HIGHEST* rate in the nation.

best to avoid crypto-background payment methods

1. veti Silver badge

Factually incorrect. HI, AK, RI, MA, CT all have more expensive electricity than CA.

12. Rich 2 Silver badge

iOS 12 needed

My iPhone 5 is stuck on 10.3 (no later update available). Bugger.

1. Winkypop Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: iOS 12 needed

It's not very good on an iPhone 5S with latest iOS either, I'm afraid.

13. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Flame

Too Modern

Brave is far too fugly. Very Fat Slab Style minimalistic; and the settings are as dumb as Vivaldi's [ which is odd because until FF went in for putting the Preferences etc. on a webpage instead of a sensible Box-Window, it was rather good ]. Anyway, just use a hosts file to stamp out adverts...

Plus it pulls in GVfs, Dark Mother of many cpu-munching instances, which not only because I am a KDE user, I stamp out on sight and prevent from starting

Whilst I applaud Mr. Eich's stance on same-sex marriage, if I wanted minimalistic Fat Slab, I'd just use current Firefox.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Too Modern

If you are against gay marriage.... don't marry a gay person.

Otherwise, mind your own effing business. I'm sure I could find many things you enjoy that I don't like... If they aren't harming others, what right do I have to restrict them?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Brave still whitelisting Facebook?

I looked into Brave a while back and it was whitelisting the likes of Facebook and Twitter so it was a rapid uninstall after that. I'm sticking with Firefox/Ublock Origin/Umatrix thank you very much.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When are people going to realise that cryptocurrencies are literally useless.

16. Adrian 4

worth trying

Stunningly fast on ebay, without the clunky gaps on every scroll. But gmail is pathetically addicted to its cookies and won't go past the moan page.

1. EBG

IMAP sync

gmail to thunderbird. I keep the 'in' and 'sent' folders near empty - immediate action and archive (latter hot key'd). Works a treat.

17. -tim
    Facepalm

Who is the product again?

I see they are like most sites that have mobile phone apps and insist I go to the App store or Google play and won't provide an link to the image. Sorry, but that makes me the product. Add a link to the other device images please.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

El Reg

Just installed it, but why hasn't The Register signed up for rewards?

19. frankyunderwood123

I've been using it on and off since release.

I find it sometimes locks up - in fact, quite often it locks up on some sites.

I now only use it when a site I'm visiting blocks my ad blocker.

It just isn't reliable enough.

20. phil_n

I use Brave all the time until there are so many tabs open in the one row you are allowed that they get all squished together and are impossible to read. Then I go for Palemoon.

21. Cuddles

Granularity?

"If the site is either well-behaved and you want to allow ads to be displayed, or so badly behaved that it does not work with Shields on (and you are desperate to see the content), you can disable Shields for a site by clicking the icon."

Does it allow more options than just on or off? And does "ads, trackers and cross-site cookies" include scripts more generally? Because from this description it just sounds like a much worse version of Noscript and Adblock, and not really any different from recent Firefox's default settings.

22. P. Lee

re: inserting adverts instead of website ones

I don't have issues with that if its user-controlled.

Ultimately, it is the user's computer and they get to decide what it does.

Third-parties don't get to do that off their own, er, bat. (eh Phorm?)

23. Trixr

An anonymous micropayment system is a good idea, but I'd rather be able to choose which sites I'd be making payment to, and it not be based on cryptocurrencies (because a lot of people I'd want to pay wouldn't want to use a casino-like function like a cryptocurrency, and nor do I).

Something you can fund with cash-purchased vouchers and/or directly via credit card/Paypal and/or your cryptocurrency stuff would be the best of all worlds.

Especially where the backend could rate-limit and apply an upper threshold to the quantity and size of payments to any individual recipient or in toto in any 24-hr period to avoid money laundering etc.

24. Lorribot

Google the default search engine

Brave default search engine is Google. For a security focused browser this is a bit naff.

I appreciate many people believe Google is the best search engine based on their own criteria for results and extensive testing of other search engines, but personally it is Google. So will always be an evil, snooping intrusive. lying, money grabbing, intrusive interference on my web activity. Google is always watching and listening and will sell your thoughts back to you and Brave should call it for what it is and default the search engine to DDG or their engine of choice.

Aside from that i have been using Edge canary (edge with Chromium engine with uBlock Origin ad blocker which is pretty slick but Brave does feel quicker to load sites so may give it a go for awhile.

This topic is closed for new posts.