back to article Symantec: Stop buying storage

Symantec wants to help you stop buying storage - but first you have to buy its Veritas CommandCentral (VCC) software. VCC 5.1 is an update on Symantec's agentless storage resource management software. It now features a Storage Change Manager component and facilities to help users increase drive array utilisation by providing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Loki

7-zip?

7-zip and an AT job? Should work a charm and save $$$

Actually in a previous job i used AT combined with a perl script and 7-zip to give some extra functionality and it worked fine. All data backed up and nicely compressed.

2. call me scruffy

F*** off.

So the good news is that your disks will run as efficiently as possible...

The bad news is that since all the cunning thinking is being done by Symantec code, it'll be faster to get a file from your mate's grey-area apache server on the 486 underr his desk than from the central file store.

3. Matt

Strange then

how all the sites I've worked on complain that Veritas slows down and over complicates their storage systems.......

4. Simon B
    Alert

And you KNOW what symantec software is like!

with my experience of Symantec software, I'd run for the hills and hide!! Norton AV: What a load of bloated s****! Winfax: Bugs galore, never fixed, never updated, pathetic. I wont go on, they're not worth the time or effort.

5. James
    Flame

Hey. I can save....

... if I buy Command Central for about £15,000 I can reduce my storage requirements (which presently run at about £500 per year by 40% = £200. That represents a saving of MINUS £ 14800.

Great to see a commercially viable product for small businesses launched in these recessionary times!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

HAHAHAHAHA

With disk space being as cheap as it is and Symantec having its less than stellar track record? I don't think so... I wouldn't do it with my personal data and I sure as hell wouldn't entrust my customer's data to their crap.

I chose Paris because even she knows shitty software when she sees it.

7. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

Ignore the Symantec label.

I would have to agree with Simon B on the Norton point - completely awful bloatware product that actually failed to catch the one major virus we had. TBH, I think being bought up by Symantec was the worst thing that could have happened to Veritas, but thankfully the core of the good software was written before Symantec got in there. I always liked the old Storage Central product, especially for the NT quotas and screening out all those unwanted user MP3 files ("What, you transferred your whole iTunes library to a work server and it disappeared? Tough!"). I usually check if the Symantec person I'm talking to is Symantec Veritas or pre-Symantec Veritas - there is a big difference! Same goes with the products.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Thanks El-Reg

That'll save me having to read the press release - the lack of any kind of analysis certainly makes for easier reading.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

I would be cautious with this one

These folks need a major restructure before they will be able to provide anything of value that actually works. Their internal development and support teams and processes have changed significantly over the past couple years and are abysmal. I say get a very recent customer reference before buying any SYMC products you are considering. Happy customers a probably few and far between for them right now.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Is Symantec the new CA ?

where software goes to die?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like