back to article Next year's Windows 10 comes bounding into the Slow Ring, which means 19H2 waits in the wings

On the eve of Patch Tuesday, Microsoft began shifting Slow Ring testers onto 2020's Windows 10. The move is an indication that the company reckons 19H2, aka the November 2019 Update, is ready to be unleashed on the General Public. It also means that Slow Ring testers will finally be able to get their hands on the Windows …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't every Windows user a 'beta tester'?

and hs been since V1.0...

at least with some other OS's it is easy to avoid being upgraded when you least want it...

1. Captain Scarlet
      Flame

Re: Isn't every Windows user a 'beta tester'?

Nah just wait until Service Pack 2, then realise MS no longer dish out Service Packs for Windows 10 so yet more of my advise is cobblers!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows is now beyond a joke

18 month maximum support term, upgrades that take 1.5 or more hours. Absolute farce.

Then you get to play the fun game of "Update all the broken applications via their individual installation mechanisms".

Dear god, it's like someone sat down and concocted the absolute worst way to try and perform a business critical task.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Windows is now beyond a joke

Then you get to play the fun game of "Update all the broken applications via their individual installation mechanisms".

I played that the other day. On Ubuntu. Actually, I tried to play - reinstalling one application in particular didn't do shit. The lovely developers are still trying to understand what the fuck is going on.

It's a game I used to play regularly on macOS too - until, that is, my mac became too old to be updated because "reasons".

Never played it on Windows.

2. N2
      Trollface

Re: Windows is now beyond a joke

Dear god, it's like someone sat down and concocted the absolute worst way to try and perform a business critical task.

Agreed, perhaps the hand of Lucifer?

3. Stratman

It would be nice if...

...the default home network settings weren't effectively "Thou shall not network".

4. Hans 1

Obligatory XKCD for Windows 7 hold-outs around here:

https://xkcd.com/2224/

1. Captain Scarlet
      Windows

Oddly my nan is a hold-out, I'll be having to crowbar Windows 7 from her and hopefully hide Windows 10 under a replacement start menu.

1. Captain Scarlet
        Mushroom

Downvoter I have already tried several variants of Linux, she the user didn't like it.

Edit: Also she doesn't like her Android Tablet from last Christmas

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Devil

"An update finally breaks a feature I'm unwilling to lose."

That'll be macOS Catastrophe.

And so I can't be accused of bias, Windows 10.

5. Swordfish1

And if 19H2 is another nightmare

Then heaps of will be having a very grumpy Christmas sorting 19H2 out

6. Bottle_Cap

Ah well at least you can decide not to update? What's that Skippy?

7. 1752
    IT Angle

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Download tool updated to 1909. Get it whilst its hot...

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Alert

Re: 1909

Nah, you can go first.

2. Snowy Silver badge
      Facepalm

Thanks but I like my Windows updates to be cold.

3. katrinab Silver badge

Downloading the iso, on my iPad because it lets me download it directly without the media creation tool that way. Then I can do my usual customisations and debloating and test it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Downloading the iso, on my iPad because it lets me download it directly without the media creation tool that way."

Just spoof your user agent, and you can download the ISO directly from a Windows PC too. That said, at least with 1809, the ISO created by the Media Creation Tool is smaller than the one downloaded directly, probably because it has fewer installation images in install.wim / install.esd.

1. katrinab Silver badge

I tried Google's user agent spoofer for Chrome, and it didn't work.

Maybe one of the others would, but it would be more effort to find it than to just do it on the iPad.

Once you get the download link on the iPad, you can use it somewhere else. I pasted it into an ssh session on the storage server.

8. J. Cook Silver badge
    Unhappy

Word of God...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Personally, I want to know why the 1903 enterprise version goes EOL in December 2020, whereas 1809 is EOL in may 2021... I still hold that it's a typo and hasn't been corrected. Even our TAM was confused about that one. Our company is still wrapping it's head around 1803, and once that's done, we get ~9 months to look at deploying either 1809 or 1909. It's.... aggravating.

And before all the linux fanbois start in: we have software that is windows only, which is why we are stuck on this treadmill.

(Note: I didn't say it was a benevolent god...)

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Word of God...

x09 versions always get longer support than x03 ones. Skip the x03 releases.

2. J27

Re: Word of God...

Linux is worse for updates breaking everything, you can easily end up in packaging hell or unable to boot. And 3 years is the same as a Ubuntu LTS release. This message is more of an example of Microsoft conforming to industry standards than anything else.

9. lsces

Can't even update Windows!

I have a 3 month old laptop supplied with W10 installed and currently it will not start up without complaining that there is not enough memory to update ... Need an external disk, but it can't even use that. The on board 30Gb disk does not have enough free space to install 1903 even after wiping almost everything I've installed that I need to use the laptop. The annoying thing ... ALL I need it for is to use a browser to access client sites for maintenance purposes and after I get back in it does that job without any problems! SHOULD I be able to return the laptop as unfit for purpose simply because W10 will not update on it?

1. TS15

Re: Can't even update Windows!

Buying a laptop running W10 on a 30Gb disk feels like signing up for a perpetual exercise in optimism?

2. Matt_payne666

that 30gig disk is likely to be painfully slow EMMC drive too.... *shudder*

Ive a few 'friends' that have these devices... upgrade time is very painful!

1. lsces

The machine is more than adequate for the job it was bought for and certainly the only limitation is the crap broadband connection. It's sitting next to me doing everything it needs to and it's only the continual harrasment of update warnings that provide ANY problem ... If 32Gb disk is too small for W10 then why was the machine even in stock at PCWorld anyway?

10. Fred Daggy Silver badge

Notepad ... for the love of god

The list of things broken, sorta working or causing user or admin frustration is near endless. Yes the thing they choose to fix was .. notepad. Which wasn't broken.

Are we going to resort to edlin to edit or view a config file gone nuts? (for anything that isn't now in registry or having been SystemD-ed and now a binary log file.

Microsoft Windows team have the prioritisation skills of a rabid dog on LSD while painting the Mona Lisa.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like