back to article All bets are Hoff: DXC exec is standing for Brexit Party in UK General Election

Where one Hoff once claimed victory for helping to tear down the iron curtain, the real Hoff – Gordon, an exec at DXC – is seeking to erect new barriers with the EU. Hoff, of the Gordon variety, moonlights as veep and general manager at DXC's UK financial services sector but he is also working up a sweat by using his spare …

1. Philip Storry
    Coat

Obligatory

Bloody foreigners, comin' over 'ere, standing in our 'lections...

1. monty75

Re: Obligatory

My irony meter has exploded at this one

1. Fungus Bob
        Coat

Perhaps the Stone Age flint mines in Worthing have been replaced by Stoned Age irony mines...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. macjules
      Mushroom

Good, now I have a reason to "accidentally" swerve* into any red vespas I might pass on the A27.

* - in a totally "no yer honner, I never said nuffin on El Reg".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Swivel-Eyed Loon alert

I'll take great pride in not voting for him when the time comes. I'd love to write something rude next to his name on the ballot paper, but that'd count as a spoiled vote and I don't want to do that, this election is too important for that.

1. Lazlo Woodbine

Re: Swivel-Eyed Loon alert

Even worse, write something rude and it strays into the box by his name and there's a chance it could actually count as a vote for the swivel eyed loon.

Whether a mark counts as a vote is at the discretion of the counter and the Returning Officer

1. DontFeedTheTrolls
        Coat

There was a case in Scotland where the voter wrote "C..." against all candidates bar one, and "Good Guy" against his vote.

The Returning officer (with a wry smile) said "well you cannot claim he hasn't expressed a clear preference"

2. Essuu

You can write what you like as long as you're not identifiable and your actual voting intention is clear.

47 (3) A ballot paper on which the vote is marked—

(a) elsewhere than in the proper place, or

(b) otherwise than by means of a cross, or

(c) by more than one mark,

shall not for such reason be deemed to be void (either wholly or as respects that vote) if an intention that the vote shall be for one or other of the candidates clearly appears, and the way the paper is marked does not itself identify the voter and it is not shown that he can be identified by it.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/3304/pdfs/uksi_20063304_en.pdf [The Local Elections (PrincipalAreas) (England and Wales)Rules 2006]

3. Augie
    FAIL

2 yrs residency? Christ, if thats all it takes then I assume the US would reciprocate if one of us went and ran?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

In case you didn't know the UK operates a thriving passport for cash policy for people who buy big enough houses or "invest" enough in the UK because what we want are people who can optimise their taxes in their relevant domiciles and not hard-working people doing unpleasant jobs.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or Australian would reciprocate and let non-Australian citizens stand.

I mean look how hard NZ had to try to get the current Australian prime minister through all the residency checks...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

he's american

he's American but as he got a australian passport he can stand for election...

I wonder if he would have to give up his american citizenship since that ask's him to favour america over all else...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: he's american

Afaik its very difficult to impossible to renounce american citizenship. Yup tax payer for life no matter where you are or whether you want to be a merkin or not.

1. Denshi

Eh, not really. Boris managed it easily enough.

The relevant page implies it's a bit of a faff because you have to go to the local US embassy in person but it doesn't put any horrible barriers in the way https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/us-citizenship/Renunciation-US-Nationality-Abroad.html .

There's a comment that it doesn't get you out of your tax obligations, but that doesn't prevent you from surrendering citizenship.

2. DontFeedTheTrolls
            Pint

Up vote and pint for referring to merkins. Not used enough, and far better than "Septic"

3. macjules

It costs 5 years returns and something akin to a $2,500 fee for the IRS. A friend of mine tried to renounce his "American"* nationality, gave up and simply sent a letter to the US embassy in London with a rather nice flag attached to it.

* He had never actually had a US passport but was required to pay their disgusting taxes by dint of having been born there, like Boris.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

>since that ask's him to favour america over all else...

Why? The Brexit party favours Trump - remember Trump has been very clear a no deal Brexit will be good for American interests, as it enables him and his cronies to screw the UK.

4. iron Silver badge

He's lived here for a year, WTF does he know about Britain. Send this upstart crim back to the colonies!

1. batfink

No! We don't want the fucker either!!

2. Roland6 Silver badge

As the UK is still in the EU, I'm sure an arrangement can be made to find him a residency in one of the French Guiana colonies...

5. katrinab Silver badge
    Flame

[Rant alert]

So a political party set up to address the concerns of some gammons that foreigners were coming in, taking over the country and imposing non-British values on us; is allowing a foreigner to come in, take over the country, and impose his non-British values on us.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: [Rant alert]

Yes, but this is a rich foreigner. Apparently we love them.

Let's just hope the election ends up being about more than just immigration…

2. Cederic Silver badge

Please stop using racist terms.

You're also embarrassing yourself by assuming that people want to leave the EU because of "foreigners".

1. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

You're also embarrassing yourself by assuming that people want to leave the EU because of "foreigners".

You might want to tell Brexiteer-In-Chief Nigel Farage that, given as he told Nick Robinson on the Today programme:

"...one of the key reasons people voted to leave was to end free movement of people."

But you know, don't let what people said on national radio get in the way or anything.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Anything that comes out of Brexiteer-in-Chiefs mouth is a load of fantasy and bollocks, regardless of whether he is on national radio or not. But, yes, I do also believe that a lot of people voted for Brexit to end the free movement of people. Probably voted by people who live in the same street/town they were born and grew up in and will most likely die in - ones who have never taken the opportunity to see the rest of the world and the opportunities it offers.

2. Cederic Silver badge

Free movement of people is a population issue to me, not a 'foreigners' one. It's disappointing how few people can differentiate these things.

1. phuzz Silver badge

"Free movement of people is a population issue to me, not a 'foreigners' one. It's disappointing how few people can differentiate these things."

Well that's the point isn't it? Most people who don't want freedom of movement want it stopped for entirely racist reasons. That's not the case for you, congratulations, but you're in a very small, and quiet, minority.

This story is a perfect example; UKIP are entirely happy to have someone standing as an MP for them, even though he's only lived in this country for two years. Apparently purely because he's rich (I'm basing that on how much they go on about the companies he's worked at).

On the other hand, how many of their MPs are people who've spent their entire life living and working in the UK, but happen to be called (eg) Sajid? I'm going to guess none.

Their selection criteria is clearly not based on a disagreement with freedom of movement on population grounds, it's just based on race.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge
            Facepalm

Free movement of people is a population issue to me

What is this tautology supposed to mean?

3. codejunky Silver badge

@Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

If some people are getting their knickers in a twist because they dont know the difference between free movement of people and racism that actually helps.

It isnt a surprised when actual thought or policy gets called racist and xenophobic because the accuser either doesnt understand or is unable to discuss without looking like an idiot.

When the general discussion is dumbed down so far it might even look like an anti-foreigner party has a foreigner in their ranks (teheehee). But that isnt the absurd bit, it is absurd to stop thinking at that point! Why would they have a foreigner? What do they really stand for?

Of course that then leads to them not being anti-foreigner and when considered with thought they promote a border as has always been the norm and is the norm except for the huge and creaking experiment of the EU.

Hopefully the misunderstanding can be cleared up quickly before an important decision must be made.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
            1. codejunky Silver badge

@Dan 55

That really didnt help. Maybe you need to explain ending free movement = racism or foreigner in a supposed anti-foreigner party.

You are welcome to discuss if you have anything to add.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Well, the Brexit party seems to be full of raging racists and attracting an anti-foreigner vote, I don't know how I could simplify it any more for you. Perhaps you could dance on the head of a pin and claim it isn't so for our entertainment.

@Dan 55

"Well, the Brexit party seems to be full of raging racists"

How does it seem so? So far labour tory and brexit parties have been accused of racism. Labour of anti-Semitism tory of being general baby eating monsters etc. So is it full of raging racists or is it just a convenient complaint? Funny enough I had to point out certain anti-foreigner sentiment amongst remain and that isnt a party but a position (as he pointed to some racism from leave). So is brexit the national front or are people just getting that bit over sensitive and over reacting?

"attracting an anti-foreigner vote"

And yet the conversation being had here is that one of its members standing for the party is a foreigner! So is that a racist party because of who votes for it? If that is your argument then you must absolutely hate the sub-human (racist) having a vote? Or is it a good thing for those with more extreme positions to be guided away from racist parties?

4. EvilDrSmith Silver badge

Of course, free movement of people only applied to EU citizens.

So basically, people that were likely to be white and Christian.

Hence ending free movement means that white Christians are treated the same as black/yellow/brown (apologies for resorting to crude ethnic distinguishers) Hindus/Sikhs/Moslems/Buddhists etc from outside the EU.

And this is racist. Apparently.

But keeping free movement and treating white Christians preferentially to everyone else isn't racist. Apparently.

Or in other words, rather than address the issues, many on the remain side think they can just dishonestly smear most/all Brexit supporters as racist. So much easier than actually engaging on any of the multitude of issues that are connected with the issue.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Perhaps you could point out how which trading bloc or geopolitical union on Earth has managed to get round the fact that different regions on the Earth have different ethnicities?

If they are held to be intrinsically racist constructs then so too are nation states.

1. EvilDrSmith Silver badge

Good attempt to divert the conversation there. Hasn't worked though. As I am sure you well understand, this is nothing to do with trading blocs.

The single market provides freedom of movement to citizens of the EU.

This is deemed to be a benefit.

Citizens of the EU are predominantly white and Christian.

Non-EU citizens do not benefit from freedom of movement.

Non-EU citizens are predominantly non-white and non-Christian.

BREXIT supporters want to replaced freedom of movement with a points-based system that treats everyone equally.

Remain supporters want to keep a system that gives preferential treatment to a specific group of people who are (incidentally to the primary selection criteria) predominantly white and Christian.

Freedom of movement is racist not by design, but in effect.

It means, for (actual) example, my (UK university) PhD-qualified Indian colleague, who is brown skinned and a Hindu, needed a work permit to work here (until he took British citizenship), whereas the Italian MSc qualified staff (who had lower standards of English), who were white and Christian, did not need a work permit.

Seeking to replace freedom of movement with a system that allows for immigration based on skills and language ability, irrespective of country of origin, is clearly not a racist policy.

Yet those that don't like BREXIT choose to smear anyone that has the temerity to disagree with them as racist, frequently trying to justify this claim by pointing to the desire to end freedom of movement.

This is not an issue of trading blocs.

It is an issue of bigotry - and the issue is that (some) remain supports are the worst bigots of all.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

It means, for (actual) example, my (UK university) PhD-qualified Indian colleague, who is brown skinned and a Hindu, needed a work permit to work here (until he took British citizenship), whereas the Italian MSc qualified staff (who had lower standards of English), who were white and Christian, did not need a work permit.

Seeking to replace freedom of movement with a system that allows for immigration based on skills and language ability, irrespective of country of origin, is clearly not a racist policy.

The Home Office is actively rejecting academics in spite of their skills. The Home Office also has a bit of a problem with "brown skinned" people.

It's the Home Office's fault for making things more difficult for academics and non-white people, nobody else's.

2. Mooseman Silver badge

Freedom of movement of WORKERS. Our attitude to non eu migrants is entirely our own look out. Stop trying to shift blame for our country's shortcomings on to the EU. BEsides which, it's a reciprocal agreement, so our countrymen (of any hue) can go and love and work in any EU country. I love how the Brexit party apologists are now trying to make out they are actually working towards equality....

2. Bendacious

Nice way to ignore the facts Cederic. The second strongest indicator that someone would vote leave was being concerned about immigration.

73% of those who are worried about immigration voted Leave, compared with 36% of those who did not identify this as a concern. https://www.bsa.natcen.ac.uk/media/39149/bsa34_brexit_final.pdf

The first indicator is of course education. Unsurprisingly the well educated realise that leaving a mutually beneficial trade agreement that has consistently improved workers rights and defended minorities, not to mention making another war in Europe seem unlikely, is not ideal. Also, putting more power in the hands of people who went to Eton is a really bad idea for 99% of us. Ages 35-54 81% of people with a degree voted remain.

3. batfink

Really? So all those elderly white people waving "we want our country back" placards voted purely on economic issues?

Sorry - every time I have a discussion with Brexiteers, sooner or later it comes down to immigration.

So yes, I do assume that people voted to leave because of foreigners.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

What concerns me is that 440m people from the EU could turn up at dover tomorrow and legally settle in the uk. Thats the law. Uncontrolled immigration is not a great idea.

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

They've had this opportunity for years, but - astonishingly - the rest of Europe still appears to be populated. But fuck it, lets burn our economy just in case.

2. Mooseman Silver badge

"Sorry - every time I have a discussion with Brexiteers, sooner or later it comes down to immigration."

Yup. Every single time. I've had people claim it was about democracy, corruption, eu dictatorship and control of "all our laws", fishing, bribing companies to move to the eu, bleeding us dry with their vast taxes, etc etc. When you demolish each and every one of them, it does all come down to xenophobia. What all of them forget is that our country has a generally ageing population, we need young workers here paying tax so we can afford to pay pensions. You drive the EU workers away, we still need the workforce, only now they will come from India and other places where they are rather browner than most brexiters would like.

@Mooseman

"When you demolish each and every one of them, it does all come down to xenophobia."

I can only recommend you stick to questioning leave voters because remain voters tend not to want to discuss any of the former and only want to talk about immigration and skin colour. Some would even suggest that instead of less brown immigrants from the EU (kinda backing EvilDrSmith's point) that we would like the browner ones less! Some remainers can be really racist. Whatever you do dont suggest leaving the EU and trading with the world because they think all the foreigners are out to get em!

Cant say I am surprised though since both sides have a broad selection of the population with very different ideas of how things should be.

1. Mooseman Silver badge

"I can only recommend you stick to questioning leave voters because remain voters tend not to want to discuss any of the former and only want to talk about immigration and skin colour"

Funnily enough I don't know any remain voters who give a toss about ethnicity. What remain voters care about is not wrecking the country for some made up bollox. Wht would I need to "question" remain voters anyway? It's the leave supporters who seem to need to justify their insanity by making up more and more "reasons" to leave the EU, which I will happily demolish.

"Some remainers can be really racist. Whatever you do dont suggest leaving the EU and trading with the world because they think all the foreigners are out to get em!"

Nope, sorry. I know it doesn't fit your warped view of reality (I know, you wrote it so it must be true, eh?) but this is really not reality.

@Mooseman

"Funnily enough I don't know any remain voters who give a toss about ethnicity"

Congrats, yet your the one who said- 'now they will come from India and other places where they are rather browner than most brexiters would like.'. Thats not a brexiter saying it, that is you talking about skin colour and attributing it to brexiters.

"What remain voters care about is not wrecking the country for some made up bollox."

Leave voters too shockingly. We want out, not to be less European or anti foreigner or isolationist but because the project isnt good and we dont want to be part of it anyway (out arms reach approach opting out etc).

"Wht would I need to "question" remain voters anyway?"

So you dont ask reasons you just assume? I talk to brexiters and of varying reasons to leave as well as reading points of view of various brexiters. I accept they are not all compatible views and yet we all agree to leaving the EU as the necessary step. I also talk to remainers of varying opinions and know they are as diverse and incompatible with each other too but also coalesce around the idea to remain.

"It's the leave supporters who seem to need to justify their insanity by making up more and more "reasons" to leave the EU, which I will happily demolish."

I am sure you do plenty demolishing, me too. I am still of the belief that different people are able to agree on facts and still come to different opinions. I also take some pleasure in shooting down lies and bollox. You might think leaving is insanity but from a leave position remain is just as insane.

"Nope, sorry. I know it doesn't fit your warped view of reality (I know, you wrote it so it must be true, eh?) but this is really not reality."

I have an image of you sticking your fingers in your ears and saying laalaalaa as you type this (possibly with your nose). Just think- you consider us insane and yet you are in denial.

1. Mooseman Silver badge

Re: [Rant alert] @codejunky

I'm still waiting for a single real reason for leaving the EU that isn't a proven lie or spurious "what if they all turned up in Dover?" kind of nonsense. You keep saying you can put good arguments forward yet all we see is petty little insults and attempts to smear those who disagree with you. Fairly typical leave supporter mentality, actually.

"Congrats, yet your the one who said- 'now they will come from India and other places where they are rather browner than most brexiters would like.'. Thats not a brexiter saying it, that is you talking about skin colour and attributing it to brexiters."

Yes that's how people communicate - someone says a thing and relates it to other people. Or are you denying that fear of foreigners is a major factor in how people voted? Are you attempting to call me racists for saying something about leave supporters? Do you need a safe space in case you're called a gammon?

Yes, I assume remain supporters want the same thing - it's pretty basic do try to keep up. How many different versions of Brexit are there; Norway, Canada, no-deal, May's deal, Johnson's deal? I'm sure if you ask leave supporters they will tell you a dozen different reasons for leaving, but a quick bit of thinking will show you that none of them are realistic. Now off you go and type some smug response and bask in the warm glow of self appreciation.

Re: [Rant alert] @codejunky

@Mooseman

"I'm still waiting for a single real reason for leaving the EU that isn't a proven lie"

Your probably going to have to wait a long time because no matter how many such reasons are given some people still seem to be waiting. From economy, sovereignty, trade, borders I have discussed many good reasons to leave which is why I am amused by people never seeing one reason (I have seen others posting their good reasons too).

"all we see is petty little insults and attempts to smear those who disagree with you."

So you didnt read the bit where I explain to you why you should talk to other remainers too so you can understand their reasons for leaving (as you asked why you would bother). You dont see that you brought up ethnicity as a problem for brexiters not a brexiter? If all you see is insults I recommend you look harder.

"Or are you denying that fear of foreigners is a major factor in how people voted?"

Yes. First you are narrowing the leave group there to those who were concerned about immigration and I will agree that probably was a large consideration as its a big problem. But you narrow further to those who fear foreigners and that I think is probably much smaller than you believe. It isnt necessarily fear to want a fair system, or even to want to apply the tried and tested (globally throughout history) 'borders'. I do accept some people may have fear of foreigners and accept some will have voted leave (as some will have voted remain for the same reasons) but for others I would credit practical and reasonable considerations.

"Are you attempting to call me racists for saying something about leave supporters?"

Have I called you racist?

"Do you need a safe space in case you're called a gammon?"

I have been called plenty of things, gammon is probably one of the cuter ones. I used to be called eurosceptic until we were proven right. The only problem with being called gammon I find is I get hungry for some.

"but a quick bit of thinking will show you that none of them are realistic"

If you think about it longer you might find some of them more realistic. Yet as you (and I) agree they are different and I am sure we agree a lot of them are incompatible. Now do the same for remain. Just the same. No better, no worse. Lots of competing incompatible versions of a possible future, some more realistic than others.

4. Mooseman Silver badge

"Please stop using racist terms."

What racist terms? Gammon? How about you grow a spine?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The real irony would be that he works with a company that is trying it's hardest to remove all british staff and replace them with cheap offshore resources in eastern europe or India

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

West Worthing?

Ah, a place where there are a lot of BREXIT Voting 'Baby Boomer' Pensioners live.

Looks like a slam dunk then. How many other MP's will they get eh?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: West Worthing?

May I point you to UKIP's (practically the Brexit party...) previous general election results.

It may take more than a slam dunk to break their duck.

1. Cederic Silver badge

I recall UKIP getting well over twice the votes in the 2015 election of a party that "won" 56 seats in the House of Commons.

If I hope the Brexit Party do worse it's primarily because I believe in democracy.

1. DavCrav

SNP vote in Scotland: 1,454,436, 50% of voters.

UKIP vote in Scotland: 47,078, 1.6% of voters.

Even places with PR tend to operate PR regionally, not nationally, especially when they are made up of constituent nations (e.g., Spain).

2. Threlkeld

I was born before any 'Baby Boomers' were, and Hell will be colder than -273 degC before I vote for Brexit or anything like it. Over a thousand years of mindless nationalism and power politics in Europe caused endless war, misery and death for millions. One of them was my Dad, killed in action in 1944, and buried near a small town in Italy.

It's time that we tried to behave differently. Say, with the degree of minimal concord, consideration and mutual respect needed to make a village work as a decent community. On that scale, Europe has often worked quite well. But when politicians decide that they need to start beating the drums to get elected and folk fall for that old trick yet again, you can be sure that the villages will be burning soon. And the cities, too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh how I wish I could upvote 1000 times, Mr/Ms Threlkeld.

One of my uncles (sadly deceased a couple of years ago) could not believe that anyone would want to break up a european union. He always remebered as a young child watching the skyline light up and burn during bombing raids and maintained that everyone was better off sitting around a table to discuss what you had in common and putting trivial differences to one side.

1. Electronics'R'Us

Even Churchiill said that to 'Jaw, jaw, jaw' was better than 'war, war war'. (I am aware that his background does not always appear to support this).

As to the EU, it's predecessor (the EEC) was formed some 12 years after the end of WW2 (and I lost a lot of relatives I would never meet due to that conflict) but the EU itself was not the guarantor of peace in Europe (most attribute that to NATO formed in 1949).

I know people on both sides of this issue and they all have their own reasons for the way they voted and they are not simplistic views; tiny sound bites are less than helpful in this context.

I have no doubt some did vote in particular to end free movement (particularly in historically Labour areas) as said free movement was at least perceived to be depressing wages.

All that said, I would personally prefer vote for the Monster Raving Looney party before this chap.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

" have no doubt some did vote in particular to end free movement (particularly in historically Labour areas) as said free movement was at least perceived to be depressing wages."

They're going to have a bit of a shock when they find what happens to wages when their employer, who's in the UK as an EU base, or their employer's direct or indirect customer for similar reasons, buggers off. Even without that particular exposure disappearing businesses will affect wages through unemployment. Still, don't worry; jam tomorrow.

2. jonathan keith

Also factor in three decades of social damage resulting from ill-considered or entirely absent political responses to globalisation, with the blame for such laid at the door of "Europe" by politicians and the media, instead of them them looking at their own culpability.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

<sarcasm>Ah those pesky working classes and their voting. The sooner we get rid of universal suffrage so the self-proclaimed middle class intelligencia can keep the peasants in line the better.</sarcasm>

2. katrinab Silver badge
        Angel

Very much this.

People who remember WW2 because they were there are as strongly remain as millenials.

Boomers of course did not "win" two world wars. They just enjoyed the benefits of their parents' efforts.

1. Mooseman Silver badge

Absolutely - my father, an immigrant, fought for this country and was extremely pro EU. As he put it, if you are all trading as one, you aren't likely to suddenly want to attack your neighbours. Petty nationalism is on the rise as those who actually DO remember WW2 die off - blaming others for your own difficulties is a simple answer, but unfortunately it puts people like the Brexit "party" (hey Brexit party fanbois, do you have any policies yet? Or are they pay per view?) in positions of power.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"when politicians decide that they need to start beating the drums to get elected and folk fall for that old trick yet again, you can be sure that the villages will be burning soon."

I read On Agression about the time the troubles were starting up again in the late '60s. It was an amazingly accurate description of the behaviour displayed by politicians then.

4. Intractable Potsherd

Well said, Threlkeld! It is rare that the broader context of the EU is spoken about. Peace means giving up some options - and posting this on Armistice Day seems very appropriate.

7. Claverhouse Silver badge

Abstract all-embracing 'FREEDOM' is impossible. --- only 'Freedoms' exist...

Apparently, Gordon believes that "freedom is the most important idea on Earth; and is Christian in belief and practice".

Additional views held by Hoff are, we are told, a conservative monetary and fiscal policy that includes lower taxes and supporting private industry; laws "made and judged in the UK"; libertarian "social views that value fully funded law enforcement for functions which are within the proper role of government".

<sighs> For my sins I once read a variety of political pamphlets etc. from the 1950s; these views were the stamped pattern of the more rigid [ libertarian if you will ] Conservative thinking and manifestos back nearly 100 years ago.

Straight from the Lockean Whigs through the bowels of Gladstone to the demented mind of the confused old lady.

Not a success then either.

8. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Does Worthing really have more Neolithic flint mines than Grimes Graves?

9. Efer Brick

Lord Bucket Head...

We need you now more than ever, please un-retire

10. Roj Blake Silver badge

"Enjoys living in vibrant seaside cities"

So why is he in Worthing?

11. SVV

You may see him riding his red Vespa

Which was made in.... oh yeah somewhere else in the EU. He's obviously not been here long enough either to learn that he might have picked the wrong colour for his political beliefts.The chorus to Jilted John is playing in my head after reading this entertaining story.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A citizen of Corperatstan

So he can stand in any election.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like