back to article Windows Terminal 1910 preview is quite literally a more rounded affair

As well as a fresh PowerShell peek, Microsoft sent an update of its Windows Terminal out into the world last night. The preview – officially called 1910, though a click of the About box reveals it is actually 0.6.2951.0 – trickled down from the Microsoft Store overnight and has clearly been buffed as the final release nears. …

1. Bronek Kozicki
    Linux

I wonder if I will be able to set

"Default type of a new tab" : Ubuntu

1. richardcox13

Re: I wonder if I will be able to set

Yes you can.

Just change the default profile in the config.

2. Michael Maxwell

Re: I wonder if I will be able to set

In fact at least the previous version already had that ability.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"...impressed...keep in mind this is still very much a preview at present"

Yep - plenty of time for them to remove the new good bits and break it before release.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "...impressed...keep in mind this is still very much a preview at present"

Looks like someone is having a case of the Mondays...

2. jelabarre59

Re: "...impressed...keep in mind this is still very much a preview at present"

Yep - plenty of time for them to remove the new good bits and break it before release.

Ah, so Microsoft is stealing clues from Gnome-Terminal and the Gnome devs then...

3. Blackjack Silver badge

Is quite amazing...

That Microsoft is doing "Gnu/Linux" way better than they do Windows 10.

And that no, I am not joking.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is quite amazing...

I'm quite sure that by now, RMS is insisting you call it GNU/Windows 10.

4. NerryTutkins

json config files

I really don't get who even thought json was the format of choice for miscellaneous config files.

Aside from the fact it doesn't technically support comments (which I tend to find are rather necessary in config files), it doesn't seem to make any sense for any file that is not going to be handled with javascript.

It just seems like something they choose because it's fashionable, like when everything was XML a decade or so ago.

It didn't make any sense when MS decided that they would funky-up .NET core with json config files, now they're at it on terminal too. I am all for change when it serves some purpose, and I can see json files make perfect sense for client side web stuff or anything javascript related, but who decided it made any sense for terminal stuff?

1. Julz

Re: json config files

Comments are for grey beards, it's self describing :) As you say, fashion. Could have been worse, yaml...

2. Tom 38

Re: json config files

Having dismissed it for several years as "why do I need yet another simple text format", I'm really coming around to YAML for all sorts of configuration files - helps that I'm doing lots of docker/k8s stuff.

Its a superset of JSON, so you get the ability to have structured config, it supports comments and it is much terser than JSON. Even with its brevity, its also more structured than JSON, so a machine written file is still quite readable/editable than a JSON file that hasn't been pretty-printed.

About the only thing I don't like is that there can sometimes be two ways of saying the same thing, depending on whether its the brief format or not.

5. RLWatkins

It is an exciting time to be alive.

It is difficult to believe that (a) anyone is excited over yet another version of the Windows command-lline shell, that (b) Microsoft is again making and again correcting mistakes it has made dozens of times previously in its design of dirt-level basic UI widgets, and that (c) Ms actually got some mileage out of exclaiming, "Look at all of our shells! Look how many of them there are!"

(Kind of reminds me of: It's a big book! All the words! All the pages! [sigh])

This is reminiscent of a post I saw recently on Reddit, of people going over the top, gushing and waxing eloquent, because Apple finally got around to telling the company which manufactures its wireless earphones to make the casings from plastic which was some color other than white.

Is this news? Really? Or, as I often ask, are we awash in triviality because Hell full and the dead are now walking the Earth?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon