back to article Nothing's certain except death and patches – so that 'final' Windows 10 19H2 build isn't really

Having declared 18363.418 the final build for the Windows 10 November 2019 Update, the Windows Insider team has surprised no one at all by issuing patches ahead of release. Last night the team thundered: "We will continue to improve the overall experience of 19H2 on customers' PCs as part of our normal servicing cadence" (its …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows 10 reminds me of one of the submarines in WW2 movies that's constantly being depth charged and water is pissing into the control room from multiple burst valves, however the depth charging seems somewhat self inflicted on Microsoft's part.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Aren't you thinking of

Voyage to the Bottom of the CPU?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Aren't you thinking of

I think SeaQuest DSV more closely encapsulates Windows 10's soul-destroying mediocrity.

1. NonyaDB

More like Sealab 2021...

2. David 132 Silver badge

Das (Unexpected Re-) Boot.

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Oder vielleicht: Das Ring

2. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Das Boot (an absolute classic) didn't manage to fire upon itself. The crew were able to load their torps facing outwards.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
        Devil

Sure. But there it were professionals at work.

2. N2

Das Boot

A real submariners film, having gone below maximum diving depth once is enough.

3. a_yank_lurker

I am reminded more of the Marx Brothers or the Three Stooges in continuing slapstick routine W10 is. If this was a WWII war movie, this would be someone calling an artillery barrage down on themselves and wondering why nothing is hitting the enemy.

1. Usermane

Maybe a movie with Jerry Lewis.

2. Luiz Abdala
    Windows

SNAFU

Slow day today.

The sun is hot, water is wet, Microsoft $&%¨$&¨% Windows.

Situation Normal, Average Fuck Up.

Except now we have apparently a roadmap for the fuckups, which is good.

Yes, keep testing those builds, so the general population won't have to.

1. Barry Rueger

Re: SNAFU

Yes, keep testing those builds, so the general population won't have to.

An excellent and subtle troll. We all know that all of the most egregious bugs enhancements will appear when the Great Unwashed get this dropped in their laps.

3. John 104
    Thumb Up

Headline Photo Props

Monument Valley. Nice.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Of course it's the final version

Until the next update, that is.

5. BGatez

Enterprise LTSC usually available from Windows resellers. May be special order and 300 beans US but soooo-ooo worth it.

NO cortana, edge, xbox, store and the rest of the rubbish

1. Dave K

I agree. Whack on a Start Menu replacement tool, lock down the spyware and use a tool to wrestle control of the updates and you sort-of have a version of Windows 10 that feels quite like good old Windows 7. Still not perfect, but far better than the "rolling upgrade" quagmire that MS likes to force on everyone.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

feels quite like good old Windows 7?

Not only, as I still run (privately) Win7. Mind you, after its latest security patch it's safe as a brick. Literally. The only problem being that an actual brick is more useful.

6. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Anti-cheat software

Anti-cheat software specifically tends to be closely related to DRM (so-called "digital rights management" i.e. "digital rights restriction") in design, in that both have some features of a debugger, tend to try to hook kernel calls, poke around at the system internals, troll around the other processes memory, etc. Some of this is really similar to what spyware or viruses would do. In both cases, this is essentially to make sure the software the DRM or anti-cheat is watching is running as intended and not being poked at by the end user. But, in both cases system changes that would affect zero software that's following normal operating procedures, can easily break software that's trolling around through the system internals, directly hooking calls and trying to directly patch into another piece of software.

As for the "final" non-final version of 19H2? That's weird.

7. FrenchFries!

Mistake!

I installed 18363.418 update since I'm in the "insider ring" or whatever you want to call it. After the install, a couple important apps stopped functioning (VMware Workstation fully borked, and Hyper-V isn't able to boot some of my VMs). I found the specific KB to fix it but I can't uninstall it unless I uninstall a whole dependency chain of KBs). Long story short, I rolled back to my last known "good".

8. georgezilla Silver badge

Windows 10 will be .....

... the last Windows version.

Because they will never get it right.

1. georgezilla Silver badge

Re: Windows 10 will be .....

Yet here we are, almost 2 years later.

And we now have ( almost ) Windows 11.

Why because they will never get Windows 10 right.

Oh!!!!!!!!!!

And Microsoft's own Linux distro too?

Well, well.

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I will consider Windows 10 final when there is a single settings application.

...like every other OS has. Until then, it's an omni-shambles.

10. poohbear

Come on people, take the hint. Microsoft wants you all to move to Linux so they don't have to waste money maintaining Windows...

1. sum_of_squares
      Pint

WTF?

I love Microsoft now!

11. sum_of_squares
    Devil

All ya folks don't real grok Windows.

Windows is not really "Debian", it's more "Arch".

It's not Windows' fault if ya people have the wrong mindset, it's simply a rolling release.

12. MGJ

Microsoft Own Hardware

You would think that Windows updates would work well and be tested properly on their own hardware, but Surface Book 2 owners got this update very late and then it managed to add yet another service that needs shutting down before the screen can be undocked or moved. Given the time it takes, it is easier to switch off, change screen orientation and then restart than find all the various services that need killed before the red button turns green. Of course then it doesn't detect that it is folded back on itself and you cannot use the keyboard and have to try and re-enable the on-screen keyboard, which doesn't work until you select accessibility at which point it tells you audibly that you've chosen to use that. Does anyone at MS actually use their own equipment?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Person choosing to run Fedora Rawhide encounters difficulties"

I'm on the Fast Ring as I want to be able to use WSL2, I signed up fully knowing I may encounter problems with beta software, and that's fine with me.

Being on the Fast Ring is a choice, and at the time of enabling this users are warned they may encounter instability and will receive frequent OS upgrades, such as this. I'm not sure where the scandal is here.

14. Usermane

Next Windows

What if next is .deb?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like