back to article Chinese customers to unfold their Huawei Mate X on 15 November

Almost eight months after its initial debut at Mobile World Conference, Huawei's long-awaited Mate X foldable handset finally has a launch date. In a Weibo post earlier today, Huawei opened pre-sales of the much-delayed phone, with units expected to ship to customers in China on 15 November. The cheapest model, which packs 8GB …

1. DavCrav

"Whether that will close the gap enough to satisfy the ordinary phone-buying public is a moot point"

Is it moot? I don't see why it's irrelevant.

1. Captain Hogwash

Moot, in this context, means debatable.

2. davenewman

UK versus US meaning of moot

Moot in English means it is something worth debating at an Anglo-Saxon moot.

In American English it is not worth debating.

1. Danny 2

Re: UK versus US meaning of moot

I never knew moot was a thing.

Weird.

2. DavCrav

Re: UK versus US meaning of moot

"Moot in English means it is something worth debating at an Anglo-Saxon moot."

From what I'm reading it looks like something that should be decided at a moot, originally.

I was only aware of the US definition, of a debatable point that no longer has practical consequences.

A poster below links to an article that suggests not using moot in an international publication. I think that's a wise move, although I am glad to be aware of this alternative definition.

3. Roland6 Silver badge

Interesting discussion article; title says it all: The Meaning of the Word "Moot" is Moot

2. rmason

2 grand for a phone.

People are idiots, aren't they?

1. big_D Silver badge

I'd like to try one, but it is about $1,500 more than I'm willing to pay for a phone.

2. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

I think it's that thing called personal choice. If someone wants to spend that much on a phone, well that's their business. Not mine. Not your's. Whether you agree with their decision is irrelevant.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

£ 2000 is far more than I'd want to spend on the phone but I do at least find the idea of a foldable screen interesting. And I can imagine a heap of users going "this is exactly what I want".

Can't say I think the same when it comes to cars: people seem to prepared to spunk £ 2000 on the wheel rims alone.

1. Danny 2

Let me guess your age. 25, and 10 stone in weight.

There is a generational divide over whether cars or phones are a bigger waste of money.

I'm guessing you are too young for this song, and most folk here are too old for it.

Arcade Fire - Cars and Telephones

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Let me guess your age. 25, and 10 stone in weight.

Wrong and wrong: I've had a mobile phone for about 25 years. Not sure what it has to do with the price of fish.

1. Danny 2

No offence intended, Charlie. I also had those 1990s slabs of uranium.

There's been a slew of media reports and surveys showing younger people (than us) much prefer a new mobile phone to a car. In my youth, and historically, owning a car was more important than any other possession. It gave you freedom to escape your family, your town, your life. Now phones do that.

Well, I don't own a car – no point because it's gridlock central here – my point was that people choose different ways to waste money, including cars in general and car accessories in particular. And some people expect to change cars nearly as often as they change phones.

I love some of the technology behind the Samsung Fold and similar devices but I don't think I need one and am not planning to buy one. But, particularly in Asia, where huge phones are, er, big, I can see demand for these being quite strong: a tablet that you can keep in a handbag.

4. Mark192

"2 grand for a phone"

Calling it a phone is missing the point somewhat.

I wonder what value 2 grand has to the buyers of the phone... what can they not do after buying it that they could have done before...

I suspect, for many of them, the spending of 2 grand makes no noticeable difference.

5. DenTheMan

And near 1 grand for a memory restrained HD Ready one

3. iron Silver badge

They are really pushing their Huawei App Gallery atm, emailing devs with apps on Play about publishing there too. The problem is a lot of the devs they have emailed are from USA and many of those who aren't are scared Trump will order Google to ban anyone who works with Huawei from Play.

4. OssianScotland

A Fool and His Money...

… are soon parted

5. tiggity Silver badge

Alternatively

Sell them outside of China with Open Source android but make it easy for user to use their own OS.

Would be handy if phones were more like "PCs" i.e. easy to put your own OS on if you do not like the OS it came with.

Re: Alternatively

Sticking your own OS on an SoC is not as easy as many people seem to think and I'm really not convinced it's necessary. AOSP with a good Terminal / SSH app should be sufficient for most sys admins.

6. jmch Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Google-free

"If the Mate X eventually launches overseas, it'll almost certainly ship without Google's default apps"

some might see that as a big plus

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Google-free

But not a Google plus :)

(Sorry :P)

7. Danny 2

I bought my first smartphone two years ago

I bought my second one the next month. £100, plus £40 for a huge SD card, plus £10 for a pay as you go 3 voucher.

Two years in and I still haven't used up my £10 voucher or filled my SD card. I don't phone anyone, and the only people who phone me are my doctor, my dentist, my mum, and the housing folk. Oh, and one guy I used to work with 30 years ago who takes me out and gets me drunk twice a year - that is the sort of quality friend you should be looking for.

I use my pocket computer for Netflix and Amazon Prime (not my accounts) and Google Maps and Google Translate and playing music and taking photos and listening to the radio and as a torch when my leckie is out. It frightens me when it rings and someone tries to talk to me.

I quickly understood why my £100 phone was better than my £60 phone. And I have to admit if you have a lot of friends or lovers then you could maybe justify buying a £200 phone. Thank god I don't have children, I don't pollute your gene pool and I pity you who are bothered to buy the latest mugging targets this sort of keech. But you can wave your hands at it! But you can fold it! Mmmm...

In the early 1990s when I started drinking I used to dismantle my land line and modem and hide the components so I wouldn't post nonsense like this on the internet. Nothing worse than waking up to a justified guilt hangover, but I can't dismantle this phone. I am always ON.

I'm not sure if I can downvote my own comment but I'm about to find out. Bad Danny, bad.

8. Mark192

Stop whinging

I've seen people pay a lot more for things with less utility.

With its 205 square centimetre screen, this product would be very useful to many folk with poor eyesight, as well as many with good eyesight too.

With its high price, this is yet another case of the rich subsiding development costs for the rest of us. I heartily approve and look forwards to the swift commoditisation of this technology :-)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huawei's sales growth

Strong sales growth within China seems logical - they are probably benefiting from some nationalism since the Chinese people see them as under attack in the west. Though from the sales figures I've seen it sounds like Samsung is bearing the brunt of this even though they aren't an American company. They used to be one of the leaders in the Chinese market, now they're down in the 'others' category. Of course substitution of one Android for another - especially one that's better tailored for the Chinese market - is easier than switching from iOS to Android as they'd have to do to dump Apple for Huawei (though I'm sure that's happening too, just not in nearly enough numbers to account for Huawei's sales growth)

10. elaar

Bigger pockets please.

Doesn't it make more sense for clothes manufacturers to start stitching in larger pockets into clothes/suits, rather than creating increasingly complex screen-folding phones that cost £2k and presumably are going to be less reliable over many years compared to normal phones?

1. MJB7

Re: Bigger pockets please.

I don't think it would help. Assuming you had a big enough pocket to put it in, you *still* couldn't put a non-folding equivalent of this phone in your back pocket - most people's arses have too much curvature and would snap it.

2. Persona

Re: Bigger pockets please.

I remember the days you could buy a shirt with a pocket big enough to put your 8 inch square floppy disks in. I never bought one. Even I could sense it was not good fashion.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like