back to article Hey Cortana... I mean Google: Microsoft's ex-digital assistant boss to take the reins at G Suite

Former Cortana boss and Acompli co-founder Javier Soltero has popped up at Google to helm the G-Suite team, nearly a year after his departure from Microsoft. Squeaking excitedly about the chance to work on something people actually care about, Soltero made the announcement via Twitter last night. Some news on the professional …

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Spare me the soliloquies

"The opportunity to work with this team on products that have such a profound impact on the lives of people around the world is a real and rare privilege. I’m excited to get to work."

Who the fuck truly means that kind of phrase when working for a money grabbing multi-national. Shit, I know people that spent years working for the MSF who never uttered anything even so remotely conceited. ( The majority of the people at the MSF actually do make a difference to other peoples lives)..

Just another weasel jumping on the Google spy wagon.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Khaptain - Re: Spare me the soliloquies

you mean jumping to another spy wagon. Also if I'm not mistaking, Microsoft is also a money grabbing multi-national corporation.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: @Khaptain - Spare me the soliloquies

Technically, he jumped off one spy wagon, strolled around for a year, and then jumped on another one.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Profound impact on the lives of people?

I'd rather not be impacted by this dude.

1. Fungus Bob

Re: Profound impact on the lives of people?

I'd rather not be impacted.

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

I'm from Marketing and I'm here to help

Nobody wants to use personal assistants tied to marketing mega-corps. I'd say that Google's is just as hated as Microsoft's, but Google is the one running the metrics system.

4. Teiwaz
    Joke

Javier Soltero looks forward to making a 'profound impact' on people's lives

Whadya know, that's the same mission statement as most incurable degenerative medical conditions.

Yeah, this guy thinks he's got loads of uselessfull ideas

5. Christopher Rogers

Bloody hell folks, the guys' only excited about a new job......

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Nah he simpy issued a Buzword Bingo premashed statement to keep his peers happy.

It's a bit like my company asking us to update our LinkedIn photos to a more corporate image then politely asking us to post a nice mission statement. It's all about marketing the company and keep the bean throwers happy..

This guy is probably far too intelligent to want to issue such a statement on his own behalf. He's in IT not marketing...

6. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

With accomplishments like these, who needs failure?

having spent his final nine months trying to get someone, anyone, to recognise Cortana as anything other than that thing from that game

And succeeding, more's the pity.

I think "desktop search" likely peaked with Bradley Rhodes' Remembrance Agent, circa 1996. Everything since that has been downhill. Microsoft's contributions, like that idiotic animated puppy and then the obnoxious spyware of Cortana, are cases in point.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like