back to article Good news – America's nuke arsenal to swap eight-inch floppy disks for solid-state drives

The US Strategic Automated Command and Control System (SACCS) has reportedly replaced the ancient eight-inch floppy disks it uses to store data on the US nuclear arsenal. Defense news site C4ISRNET today cites officers from the Air Force 595th Strategic Communications Squadron – the unit that actually manages the system – in …

1. sanmigueelbeer
    Joke

It cost anywhere from $10,000 to $100,000

For the Air Force, it will be a special price of $1,000,000,000!

1. robidy

To custom build and retro fit that 23 year old interface AKA USB ROFL.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

I think an RPi with a $5 plastic case and a 32Gb SD card would work...

You could even run SIMH to simulate the minicomputer. I think it does those old IBM minis (it does PDPs and VAXes and HPs and some IBMs). Just copy all of the software off of the old box [make backups naturally], image the hard drives [if there are any], put them on the RPi, and voila!

All for the cost of one night of binge-drinking [if you don't binge too hard, that is]

/me recently grabbed an RPi off of the shelf at the client office, where lots of RPis are being used for embedded things, and made a test web server out of it. $5 plastic case, a power supply, and some network cabling and it's a perfect little test server for web things. Port forwarding and a DNS record complete the picture.

1. jake Silver badge

One problem, bob.

SIMH doesn't emulate Series/1 ... unless you are volunteering to write the code, that is.

2. Mage Silver badge

Re: Pi

Simpler and cheaper is a Mid Range PIC Micro with an SD Card slot. The connector wires direct to chip which can use an RS232 adaptor for its HW UART. JAL and maybe C have the libraries.

Actually emulating the floppy port isn't that hard either and possible with PIC.

I wonder why the 8" drive never replaced with a 3.5" drive? Maybe hard sectored rather than soft. SOME 8" drives do work on a floppy port for 3.5" drives just with an adaptor cable. Bit late now to put a 3.5" drive so it may indeed be a USB memory stick on new HW using a serial interface. The midrange PIC 18Fxxxx can be a USB slave emulating a USB stick (just USB A connector and a capacitor needed), not so easily a USB host, but using SD cards, PCMCIA and IDE storage directly has been done.

1. fajensen

Re: Pi

Yes, lets save some money and put some made-in-China consumer-grade hardware containing many binary blobs made God-might-know-where (if God gave a shit), into the nuclear chain of command!

2. jake Silver badge

Is it really obsolete ...

... if it still works, and does exactly the job it was designed to do?

As a side note, almost all of my 242,944 byte 8" IBM floppies[0] are still read/writeable, so one certainly can't fault the longevity of the technology ... only half inch tape has been more reliable over the long haul.

[0] Yes, I know, mine are consumer-grade[1], not the hush-hush "nuke" version. Nonetheless ...

[1] For values of "consumer" that equals "early '70s Fortune 150 only", for $$ reasons if nothing else ...

1. sbt
      Meh

Still working is good, but ...

you also need to consider operational sustainability, i.e. is there a ready supply of replacement units, components and/or parts to keep the drives and disks operational, and the organisational knowledge and skills to make robust repairs or replacements?

At some point the costs of repair will outweigh the costs of upgrading, probably due to part scarcity, when the cupboard full of spare drives is empty. Disks wear out, and I assume 8" floppies are no longer being made.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Still working is good, but ...

I suspect that if I have enough replacement units (NOS drives, sealed in the original boxes, plus cabling to match, along with unused stepper motors, read/write heads, and other hardware) to last well into the next century, the USAF isn't lacking in that department.

The repair and/or replacement documents are quite robust. If you've ever dealt with military repair manuals, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Brand new 8" floppy disks are still available, if you know who to ask. I see you can still get 'em on ebay, if you don't have industry sources. The USAF can still order them direct from IBM.

Yes, at some point the costs of repair will outweigh the costs of upgrading. I totally agree! But that point is not yet here, IMO. My gut feeling is that the only reason they are "upgrading" is because some suit somewhere wants to see all the current data in situ over the Internet using their GAO approved Pentium running Win95 and IE 4.X ...

1. sbt
          Mushroom

So I could hold the US nuclear arsenal to ransom ...

... by cleaning out eBay? I jest; they're probably not even mil-spec.

Is there even a 8" Diskette U.S. Strategic Reserve?

Also, I'm assuming with drills and readiness checks the USAF is burning through their spares cupboard at a vastly greater rate than you are. I'm sure the manuals are great, but there's probably still a finite supply of mil-spec disk controller ICs left in operable condition.

Given the risks involved and the lead times to implement and test replacements, my gut feeling is if they're doing this upgrade well before the cost equalisation point is reached, it's because in this case, it's nuclear weapons, rather than a purely commercial enterprise, like a bank.

2. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
          Holmes

The thing is, things only stop being manufactured when people stop buying them. With military spending patterns it's entirely possible that it's economically sound to keep a production line going just for the USAF. In that case, they never need to go out of production and therefore the kit never needs upgrading.

1. sbt
            Windows

They're down to board level repairs ...

... based on the linked article, though. And they're outsourcing to civilians. There are limits, even for IBM, it would seem.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: They're down to board level repairs ...

So what? Fixing those boards isn't exactly rocket surgery[0]. I've been doing it at home for over forty years. In a pinch, I could probably breadboard one up in a day or so ...

[0] Actually, come to think of it, it is ... I guess rocket surgery isn't all that difficult after all :-)

1. quxinot

Re: They're down to board level repairs ...

Rocket surgery.

Flash to mental image of Atlas rocket with a giant boob job, spiraling through the sky in a very Kerbal way.

Thanks for the laugh... and for the reinforcement of my suspicion that this coffee is decaf....

2. jake Silver badge

No need to keep manufacturing this particular kit. IBM has warehouses full of spares (I've seen them), with aging US military systems being pretty much the only customers these days. IBM's inventory should last many more decades, at a guess at least tripling the current lifespan.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

The cost of carrying inventory of obsolete parts is huge which just raises the price of those parts every year. Big retailers such as Walmart are masters of return per unit area of shelf space. If something isn't generating a certain amount of money per square centimeter of store shelf, it's replaced by something that is or a new product will be tested.

How much building maintenance would be going on for a warehouse full of decades old tech? Is the roof in good nick or will it cave in the next time it rains or snows. If the collapse destroys the last remaining stock of some part, there will need to be a scramble to make some more or once systems in the field need that part, they'll have to be taken off-line pending upgrades. That could be years of red tape to make happen. In the mean time, there's a silo or complex that is off-line in the case of strategic weapons. I'm ok with that, but a government won't be.

1. TRT Silver badge

All well and good trashing them spares inventory but you'll regret it when V'Ger and his buddies come back with broken down link boards.

3. richardcox13

> The thing is, things only stop being manufactured when people stop buying them.

Or rather when potential customers are no longer willing to pay a price sufficient to keep the manufacturing facility profitable.

Given a declining customer count and an increasing manufacturing cost (those machines have their own legacy challenges), eventually you hit the "uneconomic" point.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

"you also need to consider operational sustainability"

This is one reason why SIMH exists. Already mentioned but I'll mention it again:

a) Raspberry Pi 3B+ with simple plastic case.

b) SIMH

c) image the drives and set it all up on the RPi with a 32Gb SD card (high reliability version) running Raspbian or a compatible version of Devuan

Good for another 10-20 years.

And once you've imaged all of the storage and copied it onto an SD card in a format that's easily read by other computers, you can make backups (etc.) and make sure that the stuff gets archived properly.

I remember old 8" floppies from the 70s, using DEC equipment. At SJSU they had these hard-sectored floppies and these "slap on" peripherals that plugged into a Teleray (serial) terminal. By sending control character sequences you could move the heads around, read/write, etc.. I wrote an assembly language program that actually WORKED to store stuff on disk, gave it to the school. The grad student who wrote the previous one (in RSTS/E BASIC) was a complete DUFUS and that program failed if there was any kind of system load at all [he told the drive "send it all" nevermind buffer overruns and errors]. Mine dealt with that and used the RSTS interrupts so you could access the entire file system, as any decent system-type application should. Anyway, long time ago, but memories have re-surfaced. I've also been toying with SIMH for fun, so there ya go. Old computers can be fun toys like old cars, old radios...

One typical gummint-style cockup though - SJSU had one PDP that was a stand-alone that had 3 disk drives on it, same 8" floppies, except the format was INCOMPATIBLE with the ones connected to the serial terminals. So there was no way to put files on it from the mini system or 'state network' system. When it came to data interchange, it was pathetic. That was the 70's for ya. Networking was just being invented. One prof had ARPANET access. That was it. Had to dial in with a phone modem, too.

2. FuzzyWuzzys

Re: Is it really obsolete ...

True, we do have a throwaway culture but I'd like to think that if there's a machine out there tracking the world's deadliest arsenal there's a ready supply of parts. The last thing I'd like to consider is your average Ops dept personal phoning their manager on a 3am callout saying the missle tracking system is offline 'cos there's no replacement PSU in the storage cupboard!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I'd really like to agree with you, but then I remember that, at one point, all the passwords to access the system that could annihilate all life on Earth were set to 0000.

1. phuzz Silver badge
          Mushroom

Hey, that's unfair! It wasn't four zeros, it was eight, that's almost twice as secure!

It wasn't all of the US's nuclear codes either, just the launch code for their Minuteman missiles, allegedly because SAC resented JFK's instruction that they had to take steps to make non-authorised launches more difficult.

The USAF denies that any of it's launch codes were ever 00000000, but they're not necessarily being entirely truthful...

1. jake Silver badge

Decisions, decisions ...

Trust the USAF's side of the story, or trust the word of a single crank who makes a better than good living singing to the choir in the "Nukes Bad!" drama? Decisions, decisions ... We know the military practices presumed security, but single cranks don't exactly have a good track record in the truth department.

Gut feeling? They are both lying. The code probably wasn't 00000000, but it probably was something fairly easy to remember. But really, who cares at this point, nearly half a century later? Except a guy selling books, that is. And his credulous fans, of course.

Trollface

Re: Decisions, decisions ...

" The code probably wasn't 00000000, but it probably was something fairly easy to remember"

/me sings the 'Jenny' song from the 80's... eight six seven five three oh ni-ee-i-eene

1. Mike 16

Re: Decisions, decisions ...

When they upgrade to alphanumeric codes, I'd guess "Peace on Earth" or "Purity of Essence".

Ask RAF Group Captain Lionel Mandrake.

2. Korev Silver badge
            Mushroom

British nukes were controlled by what was basically a bike lock

1. jake Silver badge

A bike lock ...

... or three, a few feet of steel reinforced concrete, and several layers of heavily armed, hopefully well trained guards. Not to mention the electronic surveillance systems and the dawgs.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

What I love is that in the USA they have safeguards upon safeguards now. This follows the two man rule concept. So two of the four missile command bunkers have to agree a valid launch code has been received. There are two USAF personnel in each so that's four people who have to agree to launch the ICBMS under their control. One person cannot turn both launch keys simultaneously in a bunker (due to distance) and would need the key of the other officer before doing so. The keys are in a safe which requires both officers to access etc.

Before an SLBM launch can occur both the captain and executive officer must agree they have a valid EAM ordering the release of weapons. They also have their keys in in safes (one each) which are required to launch. Supposedly in some cases the EAM contains part or all of the combination for the safes.

That's before we discuss Permissive Action Links etc. If you want to hear a USAF EAM listen to the HFGCS on Shortwave for a while and you'll be in with a chance. Or even rarer the Skyking messages that override EAMs. EAMs explained

In the UK if the Captain and Executive Officer just decide to launch the missiles they can. We do have a world renowned Submarine Command Course AKA the Perisher though. The US have started sending officers on this course such is the quality of it.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

In the UK if the Captain and Executive Officer just decide to launch the missiles they can.

On the plus-side, Trident being Trident is likely to misfire or to nuke London instead IF London is not the programmed target, otherwise all bets are off.

3. jake Silver badge

They are not tracking missiles in the air with this kit, they are keeping track of the inventory on the ground. It's pretty much the same thing supermarkets use to keep track of tinned beans.

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"The last thing I'd like to consider is your average Ops dept personal phoning their manager on a 3am callout saying the missle tracking system is offline 'cos there's no replacement PSU in the storage cupboard!"

I'd be quite surprised if they allowed their spares count to get that low before replacing/building more spares or putting in a new system. You simply don't allow a critical system to run out of spares before you have a new system in place.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

You don't do any government contract work, do you?

Funding, RFQ's, supplier qualification, budget earmarks/allocations, yadda yadda tie up stuff all of the time. This is mainly due to some sound bite rich topic of the day keeping politicians from paying attention to their real work. Think the witch hunt of President Trump and the battle of Brexit. Those two things are sidetracking everything else that must get done. Like approved budgets so there is money to purchase or move spares. I've worked on projects where there was no money to move physical items from one location to the next. There was money for payroll to do the work. We could even order parts. Just no money for freight. These things were too big to stick in the post.

3. Ian Michael Gumby

@Jake Re: Is it really obsolete ...

Obsolete meaning that there's better technology that is cheaper and will last longer.

Your 8" drives are DS DD (Double sided , Double Density) drives w 128K per side.

[Yes, I used to have 8" drives from back in '78]

1. jake Silver badge

Re: @Jake Is it really obsolete ...

"there's better technology"

Better than something that has worked perfectly for forty years?

"that is cheaper"

Undoubtedly. But is cheaper always ever better?

"and will last longer."

Assumes facts not in evidence. In fact, I suspect quite the opposite is true.

4. Doug 3

New requirements are that it must have virus protection and recent contracts state that can only be supplied by Microsoft. Therefore, they have to get a Microsoft Windows box and because of that it also needs to be on the Internet for updates for both the OS and the virus protection. What could possibly go wrong?

1. jake Silver badge

New requirements are only required for new kit, Doug. The old kit is grandfathered in, as are patches/upgrades to keep the functionality.

3. Danny 2

Nostalgia

I worked for a council whose councillors didn't trust magnetic storage and insisted on paper print-outs of everything that was stored in the council basement. All the print on the paper had faded to unreadable. It was basically a bonfire in waiting.

My mum worked at the government computer centre that printed giros for folk on benefits. The programmers printed me a picture of Snoopy in xxxx's when I was six. That was the coolest thing ever when you were six in the early 1970s.

I grew up in an era where we had constant nightmares because we were '7 minutes to midnight'. We are now 2 minutes to midnight and nobody seems to care.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nostalgia

We are now 2 minutes to midnight and nobody seems to care.

There's always an air of unreality when entering Armageddon.

1. Sgt_Oddball
        Mushroom

There's always an air of unreality when entering Armageddon.

That would be the blast wave...

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"There's always an air of unreality when entering Armageddon."

Been there a few times, eh?

2. Mayday
      Mushroom

2 minutes to midnight

Iron Maiden have been telling us this since 1984.

About the time you could last get an 8" floppy disc too probably.

3. Muscleguy

In the ‘70s India and Pakistan didn’t have nuke. NK didn’t have nukes. I don’t think Israel had nukes or they were brand new. The Soviet Union was intact and in control of its borders and installations. Uncle Sam’s command and control worked better as well.

When it’s just the two nuclear behemoths and maybe the Chinese detente can work and be shown to be working. Remember Uncle Sam and Uncle Joe docked spacecraft (inter-operable docks) and exchanged flags in orbit. Things could thaw. Control was in evidence.

Now things are much more potentially fluid and hair trigger. Israel keeps saying it will ‘not allow’ Iran to get nukes. Iran builds bunkers inside mountains in response. I wouldn’t trust the Israelis not to go there. Especially with Bibi in charge beholden to the ultras. Clinton might just have invaded NK or ramped things up really high if she had beaten Trump.

2 minutes to midnight seems right to me.

1. IT veteran

India exploded its first Nuke in 1974, Israel began producing Nuclear bombs in 1967-8. Anyone who lived through the 80s can remember the underlying Nuclear threat.

1. Mike 16

We'll try to stay serene and calm

When Alabama gets the bomb.

(Tom Lehrer, "Who's Next")

2. James 51
        Mushroom

You don't seem to be so afraid of the NK and Chinese nukes as you are of other countries. The leaders of NK have got to top the list of crazies who might pull the trigger. If Iran got them, I suspect they'd use a cats paw to denoate it somewhere rather than being seen to lauch a rocket with a nuke on it and risk WW3.

1. Omgwtfbbqtime

So Iranian version of the Fourth Protocol?

3. Danny 2

India - Pakistan scares me the most. I mean Trump asking to nuke hurricanes is scary, but I have every confidence his generals would just ignore him.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So

Clearly no Y2k issues with that old tech.

Old Tech that holds back the nukes....

1. robidy

Re: So

Maybe they've not found the Y2K bug coz no ones pressed the button ha ha

1. Kubla Cant

Imagine it, they press the button and a message appears:

"No nuclear weapons available, as it's 1919"

1. jake Silver badge

Given the Series/1 can run UNIX (I do not know it the boxen in question do), they might have problems in 2038 ...

Devil

2038 - is that the dreaded "Y3K" problem? Or is "Y3K" something else?

[all you need to do to fix the 2038 problem is use a 64-bit integer for time_t but nobody seems brave enough to make that happen, even in 64-bit Linux]

1. jake Silver badge

Incorrect, bob. 64-bit Linux uses 64-bit time_t ... I predict that twenty years from now, all "modern" systems will have been using it for at least 5 years, probably 10 or more (assuming the argumentative set shut up and get to work on the problem. Big assumption, I know ...).

The biggest problem is embedded systems. I don't know about all y'all, but I tend to use kit until it wears out. That's part of the reason I restore and drive old cars, their computers aren't susceptible to this problem. Most cars being purchased today will have a conniption fit on 19 January 2038.

I've never heard of Y3K in this context.

1. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

"Incorrect, bob. 64-bit Linux uses 64-bit time_t ... I predict that twenty years from now, all "modern" systems will have been using it for at least 5 years, probably 10 or more "

Yes, but I was shocked to read, just within the last year or 2, someone went over the Linux kernel time handling code, only to find that the system would lock solid when the real time clock rolled over. Quite a few RTCs roll over in 2038, and the code that was put in around 1999 to supposedly handle this only handled a few uses of the timer while not handling others at all. So, for example, a call to get the current time would handle the rollover and work fine; but a timer put in 1/10th of a second before rollover, to fire a few 10ths later, for instance, would never fire since the clock rolled back to zero. It all used 64-bit time_ts internally but the hardware would let it down.

1. Mike 16

Rollover (Re: So)

----

but a timer put in 1/10th of a second before rollover, to fire a few 10ths later, for instance, would never fire since the clock rolled back to zero.

----

This is opposite to my experience with early Linux. I was astonished when reading the Linux drivers docs to see that in the example you mentioned, the time would fire instantly, since a timer scheduled to fire after the rollover would be "wrapped" to be _far_ in the past and so need immediate attention. I went in to ask my boss (who had been porting Linux to a MIPS-based system) if this was the actual behavior. He assured me it was, as he had discovered because that system was 32-bit and had a 1kHz timer. The symptom is that whenever the current time (in timer intervals, aka 1/Hz, not seconds) wraps, _all_ the timers would fire. This will at the very least cause a dramatic pause, and quite possibly crash.

In one of those odd coincidences, as we were discussing this issue a Win95 box on the next bench went TITSUP. The soon-released analysis/patch indicated that it was essentially the same issue, exacerbated by having a 16-bit timer (time within day), and mitigated by having an 18Hz timer interrupt. (or some such, I don't do DOS). Possibly also mitigated by being just one hiccup among the herd. :-)

2. Mage Silver badge

Even an 8bit CPU can use 64 bit time if the program is written that way.

5. martinusher Silver badge

Is it truly an improvement?

I'm sure that the entire collection of floppies could be stored on a minimum sized solid state disk but the older technology is probably a lot more resistant to radiation than a flash memory. Old, clunky technologies tend to be reliable which is why many years ago a project I was working on for BTI required all source code to be submitted on paper tape -- or rather mylar tape -- since it was the only medium that was guaranteed to stay readable for decades.

Dissing COBOL misses out the rather important place this language has in data processing. There was a time before computers were generally available when database records were stored on punched cards with data processing involving sorting cards, merging data and accumulating and tabulating information. The tabulators and sorters were electromechanical. (For an eye opener rummage around youTube for a film about Premium Bonds and ERNIE -- the original ERNIE seems to be an indirect stepchild of Bletchley Park.) All early business computers did was put this dataflow into the computer, more or less, with COBOL being used to specify each operation. I've noticed that modern programming seems fixated on presentation, making the interface look sexy, rather than workflow, but maybe that's my imagination. Anyway, just because its 'old' doesn't mean it doesn't work, its just that now we've got much faster systems and vastly more storage to work with. (So we can do a Premium Bond run in a bit less than a week.....)

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Is it truly an improvement?

If you use a bank, your money is entrusted to COBOL. This fact isn't going to change in my lifetime. Nor should it.

Devil

Re: Is it truly an improvement?

correct, FORTRAN and COBOL still do real work in the real world.

6. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Floppy Emulators

They exist. Disk images stored on a USB thumb drive, read by the emulator firmware and presented to a motherboard via one of a number of legacy hardware buses. These are used to 'keep alive' some rather expensive machine tools with controllers and floppy drives when those drives become scarce. Many (hundreds) of disk images can be stored on one USB drive and selected with simple front panel buttons and readouts.

Custom firmware could be produced for the drive emulator that support encrypted disk images on the USB drive, preventing an unauthorized unit from being read. And this could be done transparently from the point of view of the Series/1 host.

1. jelabarre59

Re: Floppy Emulators

That's what I was thinking of. Their "solid-state switchover" probably means they replaced a bunch of floppy drives with Gotek drives.

2. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

What they generally do now is have a device that uses USB or SDcard to store the disk images, plugs straight into the floppy cable; it's real jankey since it's pretending to spin a motor, keep track of a "head" spinning over the "disk", and sending FM pulses down this cable at the rate a read head would be reading the data off the physical spinning floppy disk. But... apparently they work great.

Side note, you know how those 3.5" floppies are a bit higher desnity, and hold somewhat more data than a 5.25"? Apparently 3.5" drives originally were duplicating some 8" disk formats (in terms of number of tracks and sectors per track), intentionally with the idea that a 3.5" floppy drive could be a drop-in replacement for an 8". Never heard of anyone replacing an 8" with a 3.5" though.

Might need some customization; I'm pretty sure the stock "USB to floppy" presents a fixed set of tracks and sectors per track (like probably just 1.44MB and 720KB 3.5" and 1.2MB and 360K 5.25" floppies). But there's probably just a table in there that can be adjusted for whatever tracks and sectors you want.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Actually was the IBM AT 1.2 MB high density floppy that was a drop-in for 8-inches floppy.

Tricks were made go get a sort of retrocompatibility with 360K drives, even having a variable speed motor, but normally a 360 K floppy written on an AT was difficult to read on an XT.

Some manufacturers, namely Olivetti made a 720K 5 1/4 inch floppy that was the base for the 3,5 inch format. The M24 had a special version of MSDOS to handle them, but anyway the M24 wasn't a 100% IBM clone.

7. Blockchain commentard
    Mushroom

"in part because the ancient machine cannot be accessed with conventional network protocols" - if they get a modern system, they could just *not* plug it directly into the internet. Just saying.

1. jake Silver badge

"if they get a modern system, they could just *not* plug it directly into the internet."

Or so we hope. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that is probably the intent of the suit in charge. See my comment, above. Or below, depending on how you have ElReg sort comments ...

1. Sgt_Oddball

Indeed

Just look how well that sort of logic has worked for SCADA systems..

I'll wait.

2. Is It Me

Came in to say exactly the same.

Although with the type of purchasing they do I am sure they can actually specify a system with out any network hardware, and possibly even an OS with the networking protocols removed.

Devil

"possibly even an OS with the networking protocols removed."

I've done that with an RPi for customer requirement. Dev RPi system has ssh and ether/wireless, let's say, but the ones going out in the field disable both wireless and wired networking. Not too hard to do, well documented for the RPi.

Yeah I keep suggesting this don't I? An RPi Model 3B+ running SIMH with all of the old drives imaged and stored on a 32Gb "high reliability" SD card. backups to USB drive plugged in on occasion.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

""in part because the ancient machine cannot be accessed with conventional network protocols" - if they get a modern system, they could just *not* plug it directly into the internet. Just saying."

...and make sure the master password is not the name of the designers dead son.

8. Jou (Mxyzptlk) Silver badge

I missed them in Fallout!

Seriously, I never saw a 8" floppy in those games, let alone a quest regarding them. Just like i miss a quest regarding the Selectron Tube, which you have to fix be refilling with neon gas or else megaton is gone (or won't be gone, whichever side you play)... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selectron_tube .

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

+++WELCOME TO NUKE TRACKER+++

+++HOSTILE LAUNCH DETECTED+++

+++WOULD YOU LIKE TO TRACK LAUNCH - Y / N+++

"Y"

+++PLEASE ENTER DISC 2+++

*familiar whirring clicking noises*

+++LAUNCH TARGETED ON [WASHINGTON]+++

+++WOULD YOU LIKE TO LAUNCH COUNTERMEASURES - Y/N+++

"Y"

+++PLEASE ENTER DISC 7+++

+++DRIVE NOT READY ERROR+++

+++OUT OF CHEESE ERROR+++

1. DontFeedTheTrolls
      Coat

NSA, GCHQ, etc?

Who is General Failure and why is he reading my drive?

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Joke

Re: NSA, GCHQ, etc?

I don't know but he might be in for some Corporal Punishment.

1. jake Silver badge

Which is bound to bring in Major Annoyance.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

So long as Colonel Panic doesn't show his face, we'll be fine.

Coat

Thanks, Captain Obvious

1. AndrueC Silver badge
                Joke

I'm not sure we should talk about this because it might involve a Private Matter.

2. Korev Silver badge
        Joke

As long as it's not Colonel Mustard, I hear he murders a of of people...

10. Giovani Tapini
    Mushroom

Its not so much the age

but reliability of those floppies. I my "some time ago" experience they had a nasty habit of forgetting their data from time to time.

PVT: "quick we need to launch"

SYSTEM "File system not found. Format? (Y/N)"

nasty..

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Its not so much the age

Cheap mass-market 5 1⁄4 and ​3 1⁄2 inch floppies, yes. Mil-spec 8" floppies? Not so much.

And again, the systems in the article are for inventory, not launch.

1. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

"for inventory"

Hey sarge. The paperwork says we are supposed to have one missile. Want to poke your head into the silo and count?

1. 404

You have to check - you'd be surprised how often folks pencil-whip their inventories...

;)

11. regbadgerer

Security through obscurity

"cannot be accessed with conventional network protocols, adding extra layers of security to the program"

If that's the only thing that stops people connecting random computers to the internet, then they have much bigger problems and should have responsibility for a bunch of nukes removed from them immediately.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Security through obscurity

Can't be connected to the Internet, period. There is no network capability in the systems under discussion.

1. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

"Can't be connected to the Internet, period."

Unless someone manages to switch one of those solid state drives with one containing its own processor and wireless communications. It may present itself to the IBM Series/1 as an 80K floppy. Meanwhile, it is sending copies of data files off site.

There is a USB cable coming on the (dark) market with these capabilities.

1. jake Silver badge

We were talking about the old technology, Paul.

And good luck unscrewing panels to swap your cable in the new version (whatever it actually is). Methinks you'll be looking at the dangerous end of a gun if you even try without a security clearance, a secured buddy hanging on to the other handle of the screwdriver, and another pair of secured folks to make sure the paperwork is being properly followed.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Can't be connected to the Internet, period. There is no network capability in the systems under discussion"

disconnect ASR33 teletype, connect cable from PC or router acting as terminal server...

12. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Dr Falken, that certainly is a WOPR!!!

The only winning move is not to play.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nuke and pave

For some reason I always imagined the nuclear arsenal to run on Mac Classics. "Click here to launch"...

1. Korev Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: Nuke and pave

Ah I remember the Mac's bomb...

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Nuke and pave

I remember a Mac user in the early days proudly proclaiming "Macs don't crash!", with a bomb on the screen behind him.

Semantics or ignorance? You decide :-)

14. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

Probably an HxC floppy emulator if they have any sense

The 'secure' bit comes with gluing in the SD card (or maybe contracting the creator to design a PCB with embedded flash..)

15. Cavehomme_
    Mushroom

God help us!

Any code errors in the migration could be truly catastrophic. Sorry, but I don't trust modern IT managers and their outsourced script kiddies to produce what MUST be a 100% error free system.

Devil

Re: God help us!

I've been looking at some old RT11 code for SIMH PDP-11, trying to fix Y2K on the version I've gotten ahold of [which won't accept dates after 1999, though RT-11 has a way of supporting it, this software won't accept it]. In any case, going over old DEC code written by old-school coders from the 70's, I frequently run into mind-boggling methods that can only be called "clever" because I'm _SURE_ that when it was written, it saved one or two machine words of storage, and beers were chugged in celebration.

(but going over it 40 years later to see what it does, so I can fix it, without ANY comments in the source code that I have, is MIND BOGGLING)

So yeah, "modern IT managers" and their "modern script kiddie contractors" just couldn't do it. They'll need OLD FARTS like me.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: God help us!

"I frequently run into mind-boggling methods that can only be called "clever" because I'm _SURE_ that when it was written, it saved one or two machine words of storage, and beers were chugged in celebration."

Oh yes, absolutely. When RAM was scarce and at a premium, and system speed was relatively slow, saving a clock cycle here and a byte/word there was vital, no matter the cost to the elegance of the program or the hit the documentation might take.

My first hands-on experience where I knew the specs was with a Commodore PET 8KB, original "chiclet" keyboard. I have no idea what the ASR33 teletype was connected to at the other end of the acoustic modem that we first got our hands on at school. Either way, fitting a useful program and it's data in was sometimes challenging. That PET was where I first realised machine code was way more fun than BASIC and allowed for far more "tricks" to optimise for speed and space used.

16. eldakka
    Coat

using my imagination

We're pretty sure that just means a 4GB thumb drive, but it could be anything: use your imagination.

I'm imagining a DNA-based storage system, where new staff are injected with the appropriate virus to update ones DNA to encode the requisite information into the DNA. Then to upload into the system, insert male plug into female socket and, err, unload.

(Don't complain, you gave leave to use my imagination!)

17. Andy The Hat Silver badge
    Facepalm

What?

Solid state? I'm surprised Trump hasn't twatted to order an upgrade to a secure nuclear Cloud ...

Devil

Re: What?

secure nuclear cloud. I like that. Heh.

[actually ARPANET was originally designed sorta like a cloud system is, max reliability so that you could remove part of it and it would still work, intended for DoD use initially, but later became 'teh Intarwebs']

1. jake Silver badge

Re: What?

Incorrect, bob. (D)ARPANET was originally designed by, intended for, and used by grad students (and the odd professor (some were decidedly odd!)) researching networking. The MILnet came along later. Yes, (D)ARPA money funded it, but there was absolutely zero (D)ARPA oversight in the early days.

18. Simon Harris
    Terminator

Air Force favors the Series/1 because it cannot be accessed with conventional network protocols

Does that mean the US missile control system is on the Dark Net...

... or SkyNet?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Air Force favors the Series/1 because it cannot be accessed with conventional network protocols

None of the above. It's on SneakerNet. And I for one hope it stays on it.

19. batfink
    Mushroom

80k Storage?

What exactly is on these disks, that fits nicely in (multiples of) 80k? Data or executables?

My guess would be targetting data as that only needs to be coordinate strings, and you could fit a lot of those in 80k.

If that's the case, then of course the young suits would want to be able to update them across t'internet, to keep up with the Glorious Leader's momentary changes in foreign policy. By the time you've dug the 8" floppies out, worked out which one needed updating, edited the contents, re-saved it, scribbled on the sticky label and put it back in the safe, the list of Great Enemies would have changed again.

Icon, obvs...

1. jake Silver badge

Re: 80k Storage?

It's just the inventory. A parts list, if you will. Read TFA again.

1. fajensen
        Devil

Oh, the 'address' of those B61's that maybe didn't get the latest PAL-link upgrade?

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"What exactly is on these disks, that fits nicely in (multiples of) 80k? Data or executables?"

Data. In plain ASCII (or EBCDIC or whatever encoding the system uses), 4KB is about an A4 page of data, so an 80KB disk can hold about 20 pages of text. Using simple compression (not much RAM or CPU power in this system), that could be doubled.

20. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
    Mushroom

MAD

I always wondered what was to be gained by launching in response to an incoming attack.

Sure, the *threat* (and capability) to do so is a deterrent, but once the button has been pushed, is there really anything to be gained?

A warning for "next time" seems like a rather weak argument, for reasons which should be obvious.

// what other icon?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: MAD

The theory is that if you have the capability to launch a response, the initial attack would never occur in the first place. That is all.

Note that neither side launched. What seems to be missing in all the hand-wringing is that it actually worked as a form of détente. We are still here, aren't we?

1. fajensen
        Headmaster

We are still here, aren't we?

Maybe not really. Maybe we are in that astronomically extremely unlikely wheeler-multiverse corner where humanity didn't nuke itself? That would explain why everything is getting weirder and weirder - every time humanity nukes itself everything become a lot more unlikely!

2. Carpet Deal 'em

It's not so much "next time" as what happens in the immediate aftermath of the strike: if you don't counterattack, the other side is left with a substantial advantage that they can use to run roughshod over you. If you do strike back, that advantage goes away.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Assuming you are still alive anyway.

Personally, I would much prefer to have my enemy still alive and around to take over and rebuild my home then knowing that there is no one left to help. I'd rather have bread lines and rationing than living in a nuclear hell scape. IF anything, the enemy just lost a bunch of power now that they no longer have an enemy of their own to protect their people from (Its been my experience that governments retain power by scaring the people into believing that they are the only thing holding the enemy at bay)

Besides, the enemy has a beef against my government, not me. Once my government is gone, there is no reason for the enemy to continue fighting.

2. jake Silver badge

Can't run roughshod over that which doesn't exist. Nuclear strike isn't about claiming territory or other spoils of war. It's about removing the "enemy" (and the horse he rode in on, the saddle he sat on, etc.) from the picture.

That's why the neutron bomb scared so many people. It was designed to get rid of the human part, and leave the "stuff" alone, to be looted at leisure later.

1. Dusty

Well, yes and no.

Neutron Bombs were primarily developed as a defensive weapon. Essentially a nuclear weapon that could be safe (er, a very bir er!) to use over western Germany to stop a conventional assault by the soviet union in a manner that firstly, could be argued as not constituting an offensive "First use" (Since we were bombing our own territory, not the Soviet Unions) and secondly, did not reduce the territory we were defending to an apocalyptic waste land. Neutron Bombs are actually quite small in nuclear terms at their optimum yield point. Anything much over 7 Kt or so and the advantage of the enhanced radiation bit is lost to general heat flash and blast.

I have always felt that this is NK's game, which is why all their test yields to date, even the claimed thermonuclear ones, are right in the ball part for a neutron Bomb. NK does not have any territorial interests beyond SK, their only other military position is that of defence. Neutron Bombs tick the box for both objectives. From an offensive position NK is not going to nuke LA or Tokyo.

They might however launch half a ton of builders sand into LEO/Whatever. That would be my main concern regarding their "Offensive" long range/orbital rocket capability.

21. DaemonProcess

Hercules

Will this run on Hercules-390 on a Raspberry Pi ? Would probably be faster and easier route to hardware replacement.

But IBM would have a legal fit, then try to persuade USG to upgrade to a z15 that uses 0.01 of a single core for the app.

Of course hardware replacement wouldn't have all the latest must-have buzz-words, like micro-service etc

1. Korev Silver badge
      Childcatcher

Re: Hercules

Don't forget the blockchain!

2. jelabarre59
      Trollface

It's little more than a database, couldn't they just run an instance on AWS? Should be plenty secure enough...

3. rocral

Sorry

Hercules emulates an IBM mainframe from a 370 CPU, s/390, or a z Series, not a series1.

22. Chris Gray 1

keep 'em!

I'm with the folks that say they should keep those old systems. The repairability of those old systems is almost infinitely greater than the repairability of modern stuff.

The reliability is typically much greater as well. I'm no expert, but I believe that the failure rate of integrated circuits increases with the density of the circuitry. Things like stray cosmic rays do little to an ancient chip with huge transistors, but can subtly impair the functioning of a modern high-density chip. Sure, the new ones typically have error correction, but the very fact that they need that says something. Also, the error correction is all a probability thing - you can't repair *all* errors.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: keep 'em!

Those early ICs are prone to failing because of the comparatively primitive technology. I have lots of old musical equipment from the 70s, and it has issues with simple chips such as flip flops and op amps failing regularly.

1. Dusty

Re: keep 'em!

Do those old chips not have modern equivalents? I recall a multitude of audio etc circuits from the 70's based round the LM741 chip. These are currently available from RS @ around 5 for £3, Unless they were bizarre bespoke ones, I would have thought many/most even, popular basic chips from the 70's would still be available.

23. hellwig

Thumb Drive?

We're pretty sure that just means a 4GB thumb drive, but it could be anything: use your imagination.

Too new. I'm thinking more PCMCIA based flash storage, MAYBE compact flash. The military already has experience with this on airplane dataloaders. And it's a proven technology, been around since the early 90's. You can use up to the full FAT16 file space on a PCMCIA card, or the full FAT32 on a compact flash!

1. cb7

Re: Thumb Drive?

I recently recently replaced a 486SX board in a CNC milling machine with a 486DX one.

It was still booting from a 3.5" floppy (connected via an ISA I/O card) because previous attempts to get it to boot from a 2GB CF card connected via an IDE to CF adapter had failed.

Then I realised it was because DOS v7 FDISK could only see 504MB of the 2GB CF card even though I could put in hard drive User Type 47 parameters in the BIOS to define a 2GB drive.

Once a put in numbers to keep it below 504MB, it started booting fine. The whole OS easily fits on a 1.44MB 3.5" floppy and user programs tend to be less than a few KB, so the loss of usable capacity isn't a problem.

My point is, a 4GB drive/card may be "too big" for older systems to handle without careful consideration / testing of any workarounds employed to get it working.

Plus Flash memory loses data from charge leaks over time if not powered up. Not a problem for magnetic media, though magnetic media does have its own longevity issues.

24. rcxb Silver badge

We're pretty sure that just means a 4GB thumb drive

I sure hope not. USB is a security nightmare. CF/TF cards would be a much better choice.

But then, "solid state" and "digital" could very well mean punch-cards...

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

8-inch upgraded (downgraded?) to....

I would have thought they'd use slightly newer tech, like a 3.5-inch floppy. What they used to call stiffies.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: 8-inch upgraded (downgraded?) to....

Came here to say exactly that. The ideal solution to storing inventory data for their huge nuclear tipped phallic symbols :-)

2. Dusty

Re: 8-inch upgraded (downgraded?) to....

I remember suggesting in the 80's that to prevent the spread of Viruses, one should always keep ones stiffy in a plastic cover! Went down well with my fellow geeky computer friends at the time!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not that simple

Back in the '80s I was working for DEC UK special systems. We were approached by MOD to replace the TU58 tape boot devices, used in their on ship VAX systems. I had a prototype 3.5 inch floppy drive sent over from the US and then build a z80 based interface that emulated a tu58, to drive the 3.5 inch floppy.

We fitted this to a prototype system and demonstrated it to MOD. They considered it for a few months but came back to us to say that they didn't consider the 3.5 inch floppy mainstream, and felt it wouldn't catch on.

So hence somewhere in my loft is one of the original prototype 3.5 inch floppy drives plus z80 controller.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Not that simple

Out o'curiosity, why didn't you just sell 'em the RQDX controller and RX50 drives?[0] DEC was already shipping those in the early '80s, at least to (some) .mil contracts ... In addition to the floppies, they would also support MFM hard drives. QBUS, UNIBUS and OMNIBUS were all supported. I had (Beta) installations at SLAC, LLNL, Sandia, Ames and JPL in late '81/early '82ish ... Today, I have a PDP11 running RT11 booting off a ginormous 152 Meg Maxtor XT-2190 (DEC "RD54").

Note to anyone picking up this thread in the future: The easiest way I know to format a MFM drive for use with the RQDX series is to use the ROM formatter built into the VS2000. See http://vaxarchive.org/hardware/vs2000/ for more. Good luck finding a VS2000 ...

[0] Note that I did not then, and still do not, think that DEC's decision to use a non-industry standard floppy format was a good idea. Looking back, that was probably the beginning of the end.

26. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Floppy erasers everywhere

Modern tech has rare earth magnets everywhere. They're in purses, laptop lids, wallets, headphones, and an endless number of gadgets and toys. Old floppies were sensitive to old ceramic magnets and they don't stand a chance near a modern rare earth magnet. They also hate dust, bio-anything, solvents, smoke, low humidity (ESD), high humidity (sticking), too little lubricant, too much lubricant, bending, heat, UV, pressure, and sitting for too long in one place. Floppy drivers can compensate for a spot of fading media but I've never seen one report that it's doing it or try to refresh the media (I modified the Apple ][ RWTS to do this). SSD replacements might be difficult but imagine all of the complicated protection measures that become unnecessary for a critical component.

27. MatsSvensson

Menawhile...

in the white house...

28. VTAMguy

Series/1 minicomputer not exactly a behemoth

It's a small minicomputer, maybe the size of a small refrigerator, hardly a behemoth. Not everything IBM was behemoth.

29. Welsh Skeptic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windtalkers

Would anybody be surprised if America still had a few Navajo on their books for secure communication.

1. DaveB

Navajo is supported by Google translate!

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. Windtalkers

Wasn't there an episode of "The X Files" that referenced all the UFO secrets being written in Navajo to thwart potential hackers?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like