back to article In solidarity with its broken email hosting, 123-Reg's '24/7' support lines also fall over

123-Reg, which promotes its “award-winning 24/7 UK support,” as a selling point for its service, is suffering a sustained and ongoing email service outage – with Reg readers claiming the company has shut off its online support channels. The outage began at around 1100 UTC and seems to have KO’d the entirety of their email …

1. Blockchain commentard
    Facepalm

Do you use a template for 123-reg email outages nowadays or just do a copy-n-paste from last month?

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Your domain, <DOT UK DOMAINNAME> is due to expire on <EXPIRYDATE>. It is mandatory...

I'm getting at least two of these for each of the .uk's that I never asked for in the first place, plus the :-

"To help protect your brand, we reserved the .UK equivalent of your .co.uk domain - free of charge. However, we're writing to let you know that the reservation period for this domain expires on Thursday, 31st October, after which it will be released to the open market for anyone to purchase."

...junk messages. Plus the

The product(s) listed below are due for renewal. We'll attempt to take payment from your card on or around <SOMEDATE> to ensure the continuation of your service. <DOT UK DOMAINNAME>

...junk messages.

Yes, it looks like they could be submerged in their own spam.

3. Ian 55

Only domains I have left with them..

.. are the unwanted and unordered .uk ones.

And they're not long for this world, unless they renew them themselves.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: unless they renew them themselves.

Careful... Have you checked your shopping cart lately? (I found over £200-worth in mine one day).

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: unless they renew them themselves.

And they are STILL stuffing my shopping basket with unsolicited renewals. 3 removed today.

4. Dabooka

What the hell is going on there?

My first domain was registered through these and they were great. What's happened? I assume they've been taken over?

I left ages ago, moved to Mythic Beasts (obligatory plug, no links or ties) after recommendations on these very boards. Can't recall why I left, but clearly I felt the need to leave.

Every month now I read these and cringe, I'm still getting the stupid .uk renewal emails

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. john.jones.name
      Mushroom

no DANE record for email

comparing the two 123reg and Mythic Beasts from a technical standpoint

actually 123reg have a valid DMARC record and Mythic beasts do not...

123reg.co.uk do not have IPv6 while Mythic beasts do

123reg do not have DNSSEC while Mythic beasts do

neither have DANE records... which is frustrating, time to fix that ?

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Re: no DANE record for email

Why would you want DANE records? So you can pay DANE gelt?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What the hell is going on there?

123reg got bought by a German company Host Europe Group who decided it would be a good idea to move the support department to Romania to save money...

1. d3vy

Re: What the hell is going on there?

Well, the support department are currently trying to convince me that multiple servers crashing several times a day after being online with non issues for 5+ years is somehow my fault (I've not changed anything)...

So I'll be looking for a new VPS provider soon.

5. Social Ambulator

Three Musketeers

“The entirety of”: three words, six syllables. There is a single one-syllable word that might serve instead. But who am I to criticise — I’m not a journalist.

1. julian_n

Re: Three Musketeers

And you're probably not paid by the word or set a word target either

6. Steve K

HarleyCounselling

Not wanting to victim-blame, but If HarleyCounselling consider £45 as steep for email (presumably with no SLA) then it can’t really be that important to their business....

1. AlexJwmesHaines

Re: HarleyCounselling

Despite doing migrations to 365 on a regular basis I still can't convince some businesses on the need to move from @aol.com addresses, at least this business has a step-up on that!

1. RichOsman17

Re: HarleyCounselling

The number of businesses that rely on AOL or Hotmail is frightening. Although more reliable that 123reg email for sure.

7. The Average Joe Bloggs

Still not working for me. Says its connecting but no new emails have appeared since 10:30am

1. IGotOut Silver badge
      Joke

Post your email address here, we'll send a test message for you.

8. RichOsman17

"award-winning 24/7 UK support" - except the entire support department is in Romania.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Still in business?

If anyone is STILL actually using 123Reg, they need their head read.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cheap bulk service provider is cheap.

Shock horror.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It absolutely *is* 24/7 Support...

24 hours a week, 7 weeks a year.

12. The Average Joe Bloggs

Please recommend other providers

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Vimexx.eu? According to their website, they offer hosting and other services in England. Unfortunately, they don't mention any other part of the UK.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can anyone tell us what awards they have won, from whom, when and how much they paid them for it?

14. devilsinthedetails

Downward spiral

I used to work with Tim Brealey, who started 123 and WebFusion with his brother, in the dim and distant past. Very nice guy, shame he sold it to HEG, it has been downhill ever since especially after GoDaddy bought it all.

15. bdg2

Most useless company ever!

There is no 24/7 support. IT'S A LIE. So far this year I have been charged twice for web hosting I asked to be stopped and I have just discovered they have allowed one of my domains to expire even though I have paid for two more years, and I have their invoice with "paid" on it to prove it. Where should I move to? (All I need is two domains (a .co.uk and a .me.uk), web forwarding on the .co.uk choose my own DNS on the .me.uk, and email forwarding on both of them. Oh and I need whois privacy too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like