back to article Ye olde Blue Screen of Death is back – this time, a bad Symantec update is to blame

Symantec has acknowledged an issue with an update to its Endpoint Protection Client that causes a Windows kernel exception after users this morning came down with a mild case of Blue Screen of Death. A Reg reader who got in touch about the problem confirmed "multiple" businesses running Symantec were getting hit with the BSOD …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Trollface

The irony is strong in this one

Endpoint Protection Client. Yeah.

This kind of situation is always hilarious - when you're not among the ones affected, that is.

1. Gnoitall
      Devil

Re: The irony is strong in this one

> Endpoint Protection Client. Yeah.

The endpoint that can't boot is the endpoint which can't be attacked or compromised. Mission Accomplished.

> This kind of situation is always hilarious - when you're not among the ones affected, that is.

“Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die.” -- Mel Brooks

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Stop

Re: The irony is strong in this one

Who *NEEDS* virus protection? *I* do *NOT*!

I just use Linux or FreeBSD. Works for me.

And practice "safe surfing". You know:

0. don't surf the web logged in with 'administrator' or 'root' privileges. NO excuses, there have been WAY too many security craters exploited by "admin" users in windows doing things online. So suck it up and remove "administrator" from your login, after creating a PURE (local only) login called "god" or whatever that DOES have admin privs, and ONLY USE THAT ONE FOR ADMIN'ing (no web surfing).

1. don't use a micro-shaft browser, Outlook, or anything ELSE that is likely to preview documents inline by invoking them with 'ShellExecute' or one of its API clones

2. use 'noscript' or similar script-control plugins to limit the kinds of scripts that run on YOUR computer

3. if possible, do NOT surf the web using a microsoft OS.

4. *NEVER* read or preview e-mail AS HTML. PLAIN TEXT ONLY. And do us all a favor by not SENDIN with HTML mail, either.

5. Flush often. Caches, too.

6. NEVER DIRECTLY "Open" A FILE YOU DOWNLOADED!!! (especially NOT double-clicking it!) ALWAYS invoke the application that views it and use "file open" from the menu to open the downloaded file. This probably means usin "save as" in the browser and NOT trusting where it put the thing...

and so on. "Safe Surfing".

2. Alan Bourke

Just here

for the ratio.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Security so strong, it actually stops Windows from running and guarantees halting any further security risks as a result

They should use that as a marketing ploy!

4. LeahroyNake

Any decent AV?

I was going to sing the Sophos is great tune (It is still far better than Symantec IMHO) bet they have had their issues as well. They have also just sold out to an investment company that has 'vast experience in the security market' guess that means consolidating /removing features that impact its other companies :(

Can anyone recommend a decent AV that doesn't screw up a modern pc? Or maybe the crappy pentium badged dual core with a 5000rpm drive thing that dell was still selling last year?

1. Kabukiwookie

Re: Any decent AV?

Try Kaspersky. All the TLAs hate it, so it must be good.

1. Tom Chiverton 1

KGB is a TLA

1. herman

KGB is deprecated. It is FSB now.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I used to like Avira, but I’m on Bitdefender these days.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I use Webroot. Doesn't slow things down, yet catches stuff. Go figure.

1. Cavehomme_

I used to use Webroot, until I read the test reports from the excellent and extremely thorough tests of Simon Edwards Labs. Webroot has been a major fail for at least a year. Sadly so.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Another Webroot user here with over 300 endpoints protected.. We migrated from Trend a few years ago. Resource usage is minimal and we haven't had any nasties get past it yet.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That you know of?

5. The Original Steve

I replaced Kaspersky with Webroot across 70 clients, 4000 odd endpoints and everyone loved it.

Saying that, if you're on Windows 10 and not an MSP, I find Windows Defender managed with InTune to be excellent.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Probably not a very fashionable thing to say, but I just use use Windows Defender, keep the PC behind a NAT-ed router and exercise caution when opening emails and clicking links. Works for me but YMMV

7. fajensen
      Black Helicopters

I'd recommend using Whatever Win10 already ships with and make rolling data backups instead.

Because, I suspect that antivirus is really creating a distributed database of file-hashes, allowing the TLA's to track files on the users machines and files being moved to other machines, to see who is talking to who and some guessing about what. Some antivirus tools (Avast) also scan incoming and outgoing traffic via a Proxy so ... "They" get to index that also or look for specific words and names.

Adding another antivirus will just increases "Their" attack surface, apart from all the usual fuckups, resource suckage and incompatibilities that always hang around Antivirus products. Stick with the suck you know, IOW.

8. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thing is that any bit of software being it OS, AV etc will at some time bork itself, no one is immune to this.

9. Cavehomme_

Yes, it's called Windows Defender. Comes out very highly in the independent tests.

You can add extra condoms if you want that protection, such as Malwarebytes Pro, and others that can just sit on top and watch and pounce like a hawk instead of taking over core functions.

5. DJV Silver badge

The most shocking thing is...

...that "multiple" businesses were running Symantec in the first place!

6. mics39
    Facepalm

Paging ...

Dr Norton, Dr Norton where are you?

Ah, the good old days when Dr Norton was checking each sector of my 200 (or so) mega HD.

1. Nolveys
      Headmaster

Re: Paging ...

Ah, Norton utilities. Those were the days.

1. Barry Rueger

Nah. Central Point was the real deal.

2. LeahroyNake

I could watch the defrag and be in mindless bliss for a few hours, very therapeutic :)

2. julian_n

Dr Solomon - UK's answer to Peter Norton.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Very likely in "Software Heaven" with Symantec.

Symatec is the Elephants Graveyards of Software: Dying software travels there, are bloated to hundreds of megabytes with GUI's and Application Frameworks, then integrated in the dropped-set-of-Meccano-sense with a couple of similar relics and another Frankenstein is erased to prowl and prey upon the virtual universe!

7. Unicornpiss
    FAIL

Had a lot of these today..

..Remedy was to uninstall/reinstall on most, as the article said. They would not crash until either Live Update ran, or you tried to bring up the SEP console on some. Made for a 2nd Monday with all the frills, basically. The worst part was fixing all the VMs/Azure stuff we have, and a handful of remote and traveling users.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: Windows 10, only Windows Me is worse?

I really don't know why people hate on Vista so much, I used it for ages and never had any issues - I even *liked* the fact it always asked me if I wanted to allow 'x' to run/install - it let me know what was actually going on.

Having said that Win7 *was* better, but Vista wasn't the pile of dog-poo everyone makes out, ymmv.

1. Jay 2

My main reason for hating Vista was that Microsoft and all the hardware manufacturers got together and decided it was a great way to sell more kit... namely by not having drivers for existing kit available. So that nice scanner I had that worked fine in XP and on MacOS, not supported under Vista. It was about that time I ditched Windows for my main machine at home.

Another reason is that whilst I escaped Vista my dad had a PC and a laptop both running it, which meant I had to support them. At one point I needed to copy something from one to the other, but they wheren't interested in talking over the network for some strange reason. In the end I gave up and used a USB drive.

1. Luiz Abdala
          Go

Scanner? VueScan.

http://hamrick.com

These boffins discovered that the majority of scanners back in the day relied on 3 or 4 chips. They reverse engineered the suckers and wrote a driver themselves. Middle finger to Canon, etc...

Windows will shit a brick with the unsigned drivers, you tell it to SOD OFF and accept them. Done. Lifetime license included on the 50 bucks package. Yeah, kinda expensive, but this is FOREVER. They stil exist.

MacOS, Linux, Windows 10.

Not affiliated, this is really good.

I bought this sucker in 2010, and even modern all-in-one Epson printers still work on it.

2. E_Nigma

While hardware manufacturers always loved MS because new Windows versions helped them move new kit, the only way MS could have prevented the issue with the missing drivers was to never change the driver model/keep supporting the old one perpetually (and my guess is that there's a reason that those things change, on all OSes; would MAC OS X and Linux drivers written for their 6-7 year old versions work on the latest ones?).

As for the network issues, maybe it was a Vista problem, but I remember having a Vista machine together with a Windows 2000 machine in my home network and they played along just fine, even sharing the printer that was hooked to the Vista box. On the other hand, I see weird network issues every week, regardless of the OS.

2. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Ahh Windows 98..

I worked in a student computer lab at the time that particular version was around. We were mostly an NT 4 based shop, but we had one scanner that the students needed to use, and for some reason, even though it was arguably a low end professional flat-bed scanner (it cost nearly £1,000), HP never released any NT drivers for it. So, we installed 98 on that machine. Despite the fact the machine was airgapped, had an up to date virus scanner (can't remember which one) and locked down as far as you could lock down Windows 9x (which, admittedly, wasn't far), we, on average, had to re-install it once a week because it had become totally unusable due to infections.

In a home environment, 98 was a good version, especially in it's SE guise, but I personally preferred Windows 2000 when that came out. Much more easily secured that 98 or ME, was fairly robust, and unlike NT 4, actually had good support for Plug and Play.

1. Luiz Abdala
        Windows

I bought Vuescan and never looked for another driver for a scanner again.

9. herman

"I do remember the good old bad days of Windows 98" - I eventually decided that I had better things to do than re-install Windows repeatedly, so I moved to UNIX and told people "Sorry, I don't do Windows." Life has been rather better since.

10. Winkypop Silver badge

Ahhh Symantec

So long ago, much fail

11. adam 40 Silver badge

BSOD never went away

I still get it regularly on Windoze 10, probably 2 or 3 times a month.

And those are the ones I see during the day, the thing reboots on top of that once or twice a week.

1. noboard

Re: BSOD never went away

Once a week for me ever since our external support bods swapped out Kaspersky for Webroot. But they tell me it's not related.

12. Luiz Abdala
    FAIL

Symantec - ptooey.

Last time I ran a Symantec package, it was... 2006? And all the Windows XP title bars got HALF-SCREEN THICKNESS.

And the uninstaller... doesn't uninstall ITSELF. I found over 250 "Symantec" entries scanning the registry or something.

A format later... rid of it.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hadn't touched Windows since 2014

Until this year when a new job meant I had no choice but to use server 2012. Jesus, what a steaming pile of crap it still is from its piss poor command line to its awful process handling (start a process in cmd.exe - does it appear in task manager? No. It just shows Windows Command Processor. Brilliant. So no way of killing the process without killing the whole dos box if it ignores control-C) to its lack of core dumps if a process terminates unexpectedly and not forgetting the lousy flat UI which has gone backwards in usability to something akin to that of Windows 3.1.

Why does anyone voluntarily use this pigs ear of an OS to develop home grown server software on?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"We learned of the SEP issue earlier this morning [...]"

Is that a use of the H2G2 acronym?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like