back to article SUSE tosses OpenStack Cloud to double down on application delivery

Linux veteran SUSE has decided to kill off development of its OpenStack Cloud product line and cease sales to focus on its investments in application delivery. Coming less than a month before OpenStack's Shanghai Open Infrastructure Summit and a scant few since SUSE released Cloud 9, chock full of OpenStack Rocky goodness, the …

1. sbt
    Coat

How to upgrade your cheerfully posted blog

So, now it's

rm -rf *

Sorry, folks. Mine's the one with the BSD jails.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A long time coming

The best decision they could have made really. Openstack is dead in the long run for anyone not a telco/CSP and I heard from friends that work there that it was costing far more in maintenance than they had in forecasted sales.

I do feel for the employees though. Their openstack engineering team is one of the largest within SUSE (many former HPE employees there as well following the Helion acquisition) and from what I hear the majority of engineers have been made redundant overnight. They’ve saved the middle management and product management teams by and large but the guys and girls on the ground have been royally screwed over today!

Although this is just the beginning. It’s clear SUSE is being primed for a SAP takeover. ALL the new executive team and a zillion other employees (with little exception) have hopped right on over from SAP.

If I had to guess, it would be that SAP doesn’t want the open source community to get its knickers in a twist with the 2 largest vendors being brought out by large “legacy” enterprises so after IBM acquired red hat SAP via EQT are controlling everything but too scared to actually acquire due to the fallout. They’ll gut everything in the interim though watch this space!!

3. IGnatius T Foobar !

OpenStack != OpenBox

The biggest problem with OpenStack is that no one ever provided a *usable* out-of-box experience. To get anything done with OpenStack you need a team of engineers to build it for your environment.

Kubernetes is definitely a better move. Yes, I know that Kubernetes does not provision virtual machines, and those who think that containers are just "a poor man's virtual machine" are missing the point. When you can run an application in a container, you eliminate the *reason* why most shops dedicate a virtual machine to a single application. With the sandbox effect of containers, many workloads can coexist on the same host again.

1. Smartypantz

Re: OpenStack != OpenBox

Many workloads can easily coexist without the added complexity of containers if you know what you are doing!: https://xkcd.com/1988/

It is especially idiotic to run containerized java processes. If you need to ask about the reason of this argument, we will have to hunt you down and confiscate your geek passport! (if you have one (which i sincerely doubt))

1. shufflingB

Re: OpenStack != OpenBox

Sounds like a pita https://jaxenter.com/nobody-puts-java-container-139373.html.

However, from the pov of SUSE and its future does it matter? Which way is the industry going? How's Java doing versus the other implementation alternatives? Are Java implementations eventually likely to play better or worse inside containers?

Ultimately the thing that SUSE care about is where they think there will be enough money for them to make a living. In that regard they asked the question is the money and future going to be in maintaining monolithic legacy applications that don't run in containers, or new microservice based ones that do.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like