back to article Forget Brexit, ignore Trump, write off today: BT's gonna make us all 'realise the potential of tomorrow'

These truly are strange times. BT is plotting a return to the High Street, unleashing hundreds of tech troubleshooters onto the unsuspecting public - and onshoring all of its call centres to Britain quicker than scheduled. New broom Philip Jansen - who took over as CEO from Salesforce bound Gavin Patterson on 1 January - …

1. sbt
    WTF?

*checks date*

Hmm, it's not April 1st.

This timeline is crazy! Next it'll be dogs and cats, living together.

That said, pretty sure tomorrow is where the potential has always been kept.

2. Commswonk

If Only...

BT said it is “reinventing what it means to provide great customer service”,

Will that mean dispensing with that horrible voice - recognition system at the outset of any call to support?

I laugh at my own foolish optimism.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Well, given that they've laid off another 13000 employees, it doesn't bode well for getting to talk to a human.

Interesting thing, though, this onshoring. I wonder if it will take ?

Ah, businesses are always reversing their position on this anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They go where the labour is cheapest, I guess BT are anticipating a fall in UK wages post Brexit.

1. katrinab Silver badge

Or, it is about 85 Rupees to the £ now. Before Brexit it was 100. That's a 15% rise before anything else happens.

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: If Only...

BT re-invented great customer service a long time ago and turned it into something the rest of us thought was a stinking pile of ****

3. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

The 900-strong team of “tech experts “ will be dispatched to people’s homes to help them install or fix their digital stuff

Let's hope they're more helpful then many of BT's current engineers who are only interested in closing* your support call with as little work as possible.

* Note: I didn't say anything about them fixing your problem.

1. Flywheel

BT's current engineers who are only interested in closing* your support call

Yeah! As in our last "engineer" visit: "okay if I just use your toilet mate?" = "Customer had left phone unplugged at wall socket. Please raise a charge".

Er no, our master socket is definitely not where you claim it is.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Let's hope they're more helpful then many of BT's current engineers

Ah yes. *All* the BT engineers that have come to the house to either install a new line or fix issues with the current one have been abysmally ignorant on anything other than physically hooking up the line.

The last one even forgot that he was supposed to install the VDSL breakout box (which actually wasn't needed since my modem did that). And then didn't know anything about how to configure the router..

3. Steve K

Not sure they are really engineers....

Not sure they are really engineers....

1. roblightbody

Re: Not sure they are really engineers....

Yes the annoying British-only habit of undermining an entire professional career path by calling a lightly trained tech an Engineer...

4. astounded1

Hi! I'm from the BT tech assist roving team of quasi expert wifi guys who are dispatched from your local high street to sort your in home communications needs....

Hey! Don't slam the door in my face! Open the door you pratt! I'm here to sort your wifi! Open up!!! Now...or I'll leave! OK, I'm leaving then. You'll be sorry...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

On-shoring call centres

Great idea. But we'll need a shed load of cheap, call centre trained workers for this.

I'm sure with Priti in charge at the Home Office we'll be seeing a lot of Indian talent being offered visas as part of any post-brexit trade deal with the subcontinent. Game on!

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: On-shoring call centres

Why the downvotes? India have stated categorically that any trade deal with the UK will be dependant on easier and freer access to the UK jobs market.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>>Why the downvotes?

Gammon buyer's remorse? This will be the best part of Brexit: More Indian immigration.

It's what we voted for! (Priti was very, very clear on this.)

2. deive

Optional

I downvoted because we DON'T "need a shed load of cheap, call centre trained workers". What we need is for fat cats to stop taking quite so many millions in bonuses and actually pay a fair living wage to their staff.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Optional

I down-voted you for missing the irony/sarcasm.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hell it was even the reason given by British Indians for voting to leave. They were told via Facebook targeted ads it would mean all their friends and family would be able to join them in the UK.

6. IGotOut Silver badge

Will it be like the old days...

...where the rent you an item at the same rate you can buy it for?

Oh I forgot, they still do that...just with Wifi discs.

7. mark l 2 Silver badge

I really don't know how the high street phone stores from Vodaphone, O2, EE etc make any money. I walk passed them everyday and there is never anyone in the ones near me and the only time I go in one is to get a look at a handset before I then go and buy it cheaper from online.

1. 's water music

maybe they are quietly muscling in on the takeaways' drug distro market?

2. Is It Me

In Oxford they are often busy.

Seems to be 2 groups, over seas visitors wanting to get a UK SIM and people (generally older people) who need help getting up and running with the new shiney.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We’re helping families and communities

oh, just fuck off, willya!

9. macjules
    Black Helicopters

Non-Indian call centres and High Street shops

Non-Indian high street shops? Does that mean we will hark back to the good old English days of Wednesday early closing and every shop is shut by 5pm? BT to be renamed to "The GPO"? Railways to be renationalised under "British Rail" and every computer company to be nationalised into ICL?

Bugger this for a game of soldiers, I'm off back to Switzerland.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

Re: Non-Indian call centres and High Street shops

one can hope. :(

Thatcher's legacy won't be so easily defeated methinks

10. Nick Kew

Credit where credit's due

I guess UK workers are getting radically cheaper compared not only to the developed world but also to a rising economy like India.

More to the point, this could be learning real lessons. BT have acquired a decent chain of high street shops with EE, and a UK call centre with Plusnet. Perhaps they've genuinely come to appreciate the value of those and concluded the rest of the consumer-facing business could benefit from things consumers like.

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Flame

Re: Credit where credit's due

They did have a chain of retail shops before they demerged it off with Cellnet (now O2).

The company that at the time owned Orange (now EE) now owns Three.

I think the lesson they've learned is that they can make a lot of money from corporate musical chairs.

11. Martin-73 Silver badge

Pity they didn't fight ofcom and the government when it could have saved the brand.

You were once a telecomms company. Now you're a 'communications provider' Due to not fighting hard enough.

BT should have point blank refused to allow other companies into its exchanges back in the 'mercury' days. They didn't.

And the UK suffers because we don't have a phone company anymore, just openreach, who, while doing a valiant job, can't communicate with the actual customer because reasons.

Frustrated? me? NEVER

1. Lee D Silver badge

Sorry, but Ofcom and the government have let them off light.

Openreach should provide telephone exchanges and national connectivity.

BT should just be "yet another ISP".

They're not.

The reason they were separated in the first place is still present - BT and Openreach are in league and just don't care about you because they know most people can't go anywhere else.

A couple of years ago I walked into a workplace that needed a leased line. They'd literally contracted, signed and paid years before and... nothing. BT were the providers, Openreach never did a thing, they both just shrugged. Over those years that they were literally contracted to provide a line they collectively did only the following: Put in a piece of empty blown-fibre tubing. Came back six months later when complaints were made, and did another piece. Came back six months later when complaints were made, and did another piece. Nothing was jointed. Nothing reached the actual place they needed to, they were in no rush whatsoever.

I took over the IT. I looked into it. I complained. They did nothing. I escalated it like mad, and they "came and looked". Turned out, after all those years, there had never been enough room at the exchange to service that kind of line anyway. When I finally got a friendly set of engineers on-site with me in tow, they literally scratched their heads because there was nothing they could do even if they wanted to - there was nothing to connect to at the other end, even if they did all the work that they'd skipped for many years while they actually had our money still. They went away, telling us it was "at least a year away", which was the fourth time we'd heard that.

I put our postcodes (yes, multiple) into various checkers and nobody else said they could provide us with anything, because as far as the checkers were concerned, we were only serviced by BT/Openreach.

So I phoned Virgin on the off-chance, having had a leased line from them before. We had a number of LONG conversations, but I had a good contact from a previous leased line with them at another site. Turned out, a millionaire who lived quite a way away had a private Virgin line installed at great expense for himself. Because of the way they'd put it in (they'd been quite forward thinking), it didn't appear on the checkers as it only needed to service this guy who didn't live near our postcodes, but it was able to be fed off in order to provide the required service to us. We finally had a company willing to install a leased line, at a reasonable cost, which had never appeared viable from any of the automated trackers for anyone but BT.

We cancelled the BT order and told them why. We ordered Virgin. I then spent SIX MONTHS throwing BT and Openreach personnel off our site because they kept turning up to try to provide the line we'd ordered years before, "we're coming to join that tubing"... no you're not, mate. "We're coming to blow the fibre", through what? "We're upgrading the exchange down the road so we can connect you", because you could have done that at any time but fobbed us off all these years? And literally they were just turning up, unannounced, at random, trying to gain access to our site, on an cancelled and refunded contract to try to get our business, months after we got rid of them.

Three months later we had a Virgin line. They still kept coming. After many years of "trying" to install, the only serious motion happened when they realised that they didn't have a captive audience, that we wouldn't touch them ever again, and that our money that they'd been holding

onto for nearly 5 years was about to get refunded, plus interest, for non-delivery.

As payback, two months after the install, I removed all BT analogue, ISDN, etc. lines from site (about 40-50 lines in total) and SIP'd the entire thing over the Virgin line.

We've had the Virgin line five years now. It works perfectly. Zero downtime. They gave me a free speed upgrade to the maximum the line can take this year. We still don't appear on any of the checkers. I still get regular calls from BT asking if we want to use them.

BT and Openreach are in league, because they're still the same company. They honestly don't care about progressing any of their customers or the infrastructure, they just want you captive. And when they think they have no rival, they have literally zero interest in dealing with you, even when they have your money, have a signed contract to deliver, and have all the time in the world.

Only when they realise they could lose their monopoly do they bother to do *ANYTHING* about it.

There's a reason that I refused to even activate my analogue BT line at home, much less use them for ADSL/VDSL.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Quite a Rant

I wholly agree with the sentiments and anger at BT. They are the greediest lot I have ever come across in dealing with utilities. Others are not saints either !

They have all stooped to the lowest common denominator in terms of customer services and provide a bare minimum agreed level of service. Remember that asshole, Peter (bonehead) Bonefield, the CEO who vowed never to give free (inclusive) phone calls ? Who also delayed mass adoption of proper internet by years ? BT even delayed fibre rollouts, despite govt. fundings.

Thats how greedy they are. And the charges they want to levy for just coming around to sniff at your problems down the street cabinet?

They will however advertise till the cows come home about how they "listened" to their customers and brough call centres home ! Dick Swinging wankers, all.

1. Julz

Re: Quite a Rant

Excuse me, get his name right; Sir Peter Leahy Bonfield CBE FREng, destroyer of companies, sneaking thief of pension funds, peddler of illusory competence and grand master of bullshit.

2. Martin-73 Silver badge

The whole point is they should NOT be separate companies! It makes zero sense.

2. Blane Bramble

"BT should have point blank refused to allow other companies into its exchanges back in the 'mercury' days. "

We'd still be waiting for ADSL to be given the green light while BT protected their leased line and ISDN business.

3. Colin Bull 1
      Devil

BT not fighting hard enough

AC wrote ...BT should have point blank refused to allow other companies into its exchanges back in the 'mercury' days. They didn't.

If Ofcom did not allow LLU in the early 2000s we would be back in the realms of £700 install for broadband and £70 a month for 1MB as we were then.

If Ofcom had any gumption and not staffed with ex BT bods they would have separated the infrastructure and got rid of the last mile of copper 10 years ago and we would be paying £10 per month for broadband with a version of VOIP for nothing.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

Re: BT not fighting hard enough

Be fair, I wasn't anonymous. :P

12. Flywheel
    Mushroom

One of their first priorities

Should be to put a stop to all this phone number spoofing that is helping to contribute to an annual £10 billion of fraud (according to the Beeb report). I know they must make a shedload of profit from all these scum inquiring about my "recent accident" and "Microsoft calling about my computer" but FFS BT, get your house in order, then I might consider using you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: One of their first priorities

Indeed, BT were the ones who actively encouraged and promoted the whole premium numbers malarkey, and we are still paying for a lot of them. Doctors surgeries, most utilities and other companies got on the bandwagon to rip us off ! Airlines, phone companies, travel agencies, NHS, you name it, they all got in the BT act of greed and money making schemes.

Rascals and conmen, they are.

And they sold our data secretly under the "PHORM" trials. Wake me up when the next price rise is announced, to justify their UK call centre moves and minimum wages to pay for ! Any excuse to make more money.

For a start, they can at least stop bombarding us with their purple adverts for whole house Mesh systems, which need not be necessary at all, if they had strong signal emitting routers in the first place and enough bandwidth, instead of contending ratios they play with.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

On another note.....

Who are the main shareholders of BT currently? The hedge fund and their managers, who are baying for brexit so they can shaft us even more with price rises and minimal regulations. There's mention of Plusnet already having done that in another thread on here (owned by BT). Best is yet to come.

Just look at the 5G launch. What a shambles. only a few streets in 5 cities, yet bragging rights to the full. Will make you believe you are already in 5G heaven.

Rip Off Britain rules.

14. adam payne

We’re helping families and communities across the UK, and companies in Britain and around the world, to remove the barriers of today to realise the potential of tomorrow,

Those potentials are never fully realised as you insist on keeping your copper line rental slush fund.

BT said it is “reinventing what it means to provide great customer service”,

Does that mean these people will know how the internet works and know what DNS actually is?

Having BT customer services tell me the current internet package doesn't support DNS was funny but not really that helpful.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like