back to article Ditch Chef, Puppet, Splunk and snyk for GitLab? That's the pitch from your new wannabe one-stop DevOps shop

"We want GitLab monitoring to be a complete replacement for DataDog," GitLab's director of product, Eric Brinkman, said yesterday. And he didn't stop there, referring to a whole swathe of "tools that GitLab can replace" at the firm's Commit event in London. Around 300 or so developers attended the day at an 18th-century …

1. DontFeedTheTrolls
    Coat

BINGO

I got all the buzzwords first!

1. stiine Silver badge
      Unhappy

lucky....

You must have the one card that doesn't contain the word 'synergy'. That's the only one I'm missing.

edit: speelingg

2. Zimmer
    Coat

In an 18th century brewery ..

I hope everything was organised properly.....

3. cschneid

Santayana

[Sijbrandij:] "It is not so much that applications get moved, because that's super costly. But you could say all new applications will be on a different cloud from now."

And thus it was acknowledged that IT shops must encompass the skill sets to indefinitely drag the baggage of applications developed for what previous generations thought was to be the one and only platform, each with its own quirks and foibles, never actually migrating to a single underpinning, forever dealing with integrations reliant on tenuous agreements and bits of string,

Just like their ancestors, victims of management decrees. "All new systems will be built in PL/I." "All new systems will be built with a client/server architecture." "All new systems will target OS/2 as the client." "All new systems will be web based." "All new systems will be cloud based." "All new systems will target AWS." And so on and so forth, ad infinitum, from now until the end of time, world without end, forever and ever.

1. Reg Reader 1

Re: Santayana

Ah, man

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All they need to do is provide something that works without the horrific complexity of using the current options which are traditionally open source in having to edit multiple text files or even having.to learn to program in Ruby to use!

Just look at Microsoft's Dev Ops and configuration management tools for a better way for instance.

1. theOtherJT Silver badge

Or looked at another way the simplicity of working with simple file based structure in a widely known language saves me the complexity of having to learn another proprietary tool set...

Horses for courses and all that.

5. DatacenterDweller

Sounds great

Yet things didn't get complex as they are for no reason.

1. Groaning Ninny

Re: Sounds great

And so... are you saying that reason is obviated or continued by GitLab's approach?

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Re: Sounds great

But sometimes things are only complicated because nobody has tidied them up.

Software can end up like a matryoshka doll with layer built upon layer built upon layer. Each layer is constrained by the one below it, probably includes convoluted hacks to work around the limitations of the lower layers, and introduces quirks and deficiencies of its own. Removing some of intermediate layers can often reduce complexity, improve performance and eliminate bugs.

Likewise, when you end up with a ragtag bag of libraries and tools they often have a lot of overlap that can be deduplicated. You don't have to go all SystemD to realise even giving them a consistent interface can make things simpler. (I just removed a bug where two libraries were using two subtly different coordinate systems and nobody had noticed.)

6. vir

Standards

Where's that XKCD on how standards multiply?

Ah:

https://xkcd.com/927/

7. TeeCee Gold badge
    Facepalm

"In that press cycle we got 23 per cent share voice..."

Unfortunately for him, if there's one thing that's guaranteed to make good developers lose interest and go somewhere else it's wankspik bullshit like that.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Coat

Brexit means BrexitDevOps means DevOps

Let's Get Brexit DoneLet's Get DevOps Done

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like