back to article Toaster used to recharge gadgets

Most kids are taught not to stick things - aside from bread - into the toaster. But the Toasty Charger’s designer obviously wasn’t, because he’s crafted one with a slot for inserting reachable batteries. Toasty_charger_01 The Toasty Charger: recharge your batteries The concept toaster is designed for lithium-ion batteries …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Adrian Jones
    Happy

Reachable Batteries?

Does it come with an optional extra for batteries which you can't reach?

2. Helen-LG
    Thumb Down

asking for trouble?

I would be so worried about kids seeing this and not realising that it's ok to do it with this toaster, but not with your normal one

Obviously it's entirely hypothetical at the moment but that would be my concern if they did launch this as a household item.

3. Arnold Lieberman
    Joke

Huh?

Is it a 'chef's hat' or, more like (given the design) a SLICE OF BREAD on the side?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

If it works

that's a fantastic idea- really simple and intuitive to use. Hopefully it'd help shift people towards creating a standard set of sizes and contacts for batteries!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Oh wow, yet another 'that would be sooo cool' design

with no technical design or merit, by a designer who almost doubtless knows nothing about engineering.

That's exactly what we need more of.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Thinks...

If you stuck a couple of Dell laptop batteries and a few burgers in there you'd save a fortune on charcoal when summer comes round again.

Who needs a toaster charger to make you pop up when Paris is around...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting possibilites

Well for a law suit that is. In today's world I predict that if this comes to market it will be less than six months before the company is sued. Because you know some nitwit or their kid will shove their cell phone battery in the actual toaster and gets hurt.

8. David Gosnell

Cute

If loaded with Sony batteries and given a slightly more powerful spring, could this be used as a practical grenade launcher?

9. Rik
    Boffin

Well,

given the pyrotechnical aspirations of Li-Ion batteries, as demonstrated by a number of Dell and Sony laptops, some batteries will indeed come out toasted.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Great

So my idiot brother-in-law gets confused and puts a lithium pack in a real toaster.

FAIL.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Reachable batteries?

Now that we can charge reachable batteries, will it spell the end for all of those unreachable batteries out there?

12. Dave
    Flame

Hmm Cooked batteries

My toaster sets fire to bread as well

Smokin!!!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

"reachable batteries"

Crumbs.

But what about the unreachable ones?

14. Andy Taylor
    Coat

Nothing new

Battery manufacturers have been making batteries that toast themselves for a while now.

Mine's the one with the overheating iPod in it.

15. Jeremy
    Flame

Borrowed from Apple indeed.

Why the hell does everything have to look like a damn iPod these days... Honestly, enough with the round white plastic crap - have a new idea for once.

grumble grumble...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chef's hat?

At first I was wondering why there was a t-shirt on the front, but then I came round to thinking that maybe it was a piece of toast as drawn by someone who has never actually seen a piece of toast or, indeed, a piece of bread, but had the whole concept described to them using Babelfished text messages, and then approved by a senior product development team who had been similarly challenged in the whole bread aesthetics area.

Anyway, what I really want to know, is, will it charge the battery packs for USB toasters?

17. James O'Brien
    Coat

@reachable

Damn all you that took the joke out of my hands due to the time difference :(

/Mines the one with the reachable unrechable batteries in the pocket. Thanks

18. TeeCee Gold badge
    Thumb Down

All sorts of connections?

Great. Now explain how you're supposed to get a set of NiMh "AA" cells through the little slot on the top. Hell, even AAAs look problematic.

Does it come boxed with a free chocolate teapot?

19. Peter Ford
    Stop

Enough with the nannies already

To all those whingeing about this idea encouraging people to put batteries in real toasters...

Please go back to reading the Daily Mail - nothing to see here.

"But think about the children!" - if you are thinking about the children then you should have your toaster (and your battery charger) out of easy reach until they're old/smart enough to look after themselves without burning the house down.

If someone is fooled into starting a lawsuit by an evil liar^h^h^h^h lawyer, let the courts sort it out. I don't think for one minute a reasonable judge would honestly rule in favour of such a suit.

Anyway, that's what the Darwin Awards are all about.

20. Harry
    Thumb Down

The designed obviously kneeded the dough.

But he's not going to earn his daily bread with it ... because as far as I can see, the slot is much too small to get even a single slice of bread in it.

To which I can post only one comment ... crumbs!

21. It wasnt me

Is the world full of muppets?

Its a good idea for god's sake.

Why so many gimps moaing that "kids will put batteries in the real toaster dontcha know. So irresponsible."?

How about the following: Dont keep it in the kitchen by the real toaster. If your kid is so thick, then put the real toaster out of reach, or just let darwinian evolution take its course.

Asshats.

22. hj

prejudice?

Why do i have the feeling that all complainers about the children and lawsuits are North Americans?

23. Simon B
    Thumb Up

There are some problems with your comment: A title is required.

Well, I like it, I get the feeling that AA, AAA and common sizes of that type aren't supported which is a shame. But nice idea, and different, makes a boring process a bit more fun!

24. Yorkshirepudding
    Go

talkie toaster?

im still waiting for my chirpy breakfast time companion with a pathalogic interest in all things bread

25. Groz Bat

Perspective?

That bowl of fruit looks awfully small compared with that slice of bread.

26. Anonymous John
    Coat

With apologies to Frank Sinatra

To dream the impossible dream

To fight the unbeatable foe

To bear with unbearable sorrow

To run where the brave dare not go

To right the unrightable wrong

To be better far than you are

To try when your arms are too weary

To reach the unreachable battery

This topic is closed for new posts.