back to article DXC has picked a brand new people person: Finch lands as freed Mason preps to depart

The HR head at DXC Technology, who according to a ex-senior staffer once cut up former CEO Mike Lawrie's steak during a business dinner, is leaving the business. The company issued a statement this week to confirm the hiring of Mary Finch as exec veep and chief human resources manager, a role that Jo Mason held at DXC and at …

1. not.known@this.address

Why employees are now called Human "Resources"

"They wouldn't be called human RESOURCES if they weren't meant to be strip-mined"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why employees are now called Human "Resources"

You mean like the strip mining of financial resources? Or intellectual property resources? Or supply chain resources?

Employees are now called Human Resources because companies recognize that employees contribute human capital to the business equation, just like other forms of capital.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Our employees are key to achieving our goals and aspirations"

That seems to be a belated recognition for the industry as a whole unless there's a silent "Getting rid of" at the front of it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

While I'm sure it is intended to be true, the harsh reality of DXC finances will return this dynamic duo to the sort of slash and burn HR policies that only an outsourcer can sustain.

Mines the empty glass...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Indeed. Since they haven't really tried to merge most of the L-CSC and L-HPES business lines yet, there's no question where all of this will go.

I would disagree about the sustaining part. They've lost so much business over the last two years that there's still plenty of room for more slashing and burning.

2. neilo

"Our employees are key to achieving our goals and aspirations"

You know, I'm sure I heard that before somewhere... Maybe when Mikey and Jo were talking about the CLEAR values during the initial induction and yearly refreshers. Nah; couldn't have been them, could it? That would mean they were saying thing they didn't actually believe in.

But to the point here, show me a CEO who doesn't, with a straight face, say exactly this.

I'm surprised he is even continuing with "digital transformation" as a phrase. Why not go back in time and talk about reengineering the company? I mean, "Reengineering the Corporation" started with (then) CSC. Why not dust off that concept and try to sell it again?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jo Mason plans to return to UK? Without Mikey-boy? Have they parted (ahem) "company"? Who will see to his personal needs now? That steak ain't gonna cut itself.

(I always thought 'cutting steak' was a rather odd euphemism, but there you are.)

1. neilo

(I always thought 'cutting steak' was a rather odd euphemism, but there you are.)

You're confusing "euphemism" with "weird stuff that actually happened".

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems appropriate for the times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrIfh5EQznI

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

"Mason [..] was not mentioned even once"

Obviously. Why should one mention the underlings ?

They're just doing what they were born to do.

6. nilfs2
    Coat

The damage is done

The damage is done already, it will be difficult to make whatever good employees are left like the company again without a hefty compensation and company reconstruction, way too many assholes are still working there, assholes are the only kind that survived that harsh work environment.

1. mr_souter_Working

Re: The damage is done

Hey - I still work here, and I'm not an ......

Oh, sorry - forgot who I was there for a minute

As you were.

7. sanmigueelbeer

In the meatime, over at HP ...

HP Inc to cut about 7,000 to 9,000 jobs in restructuring push

We are taking bold and decisive actions as we embark on our next chapter

Translation: HP do/will not know what is going to happen after getting rid of the MOST EXPERIENCED STAFF.

we will accomplish this by advancing our leadership

Translation: Managers who can get rid of their OLDEST staff will be assured of promotion.

8. simonlb Silver badge
    Meh

'instilling new levels of pride and performance among our employees'

I think treating them like human beings and not sacking random groups of them every three months might be a good start.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 'instilling new levels of pride and performance among our employees'

Think of the planet:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dxc-technology-announces-global-environmental-170000214.html

A 25% energy reduction apparently.

That's either about switching off employee workstations because they have left or its talking about how nobody has any energy or enthusiasm to make any effort any more.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like