back to article WeWork, but We don't IPO: Self-styled techie boarding house calls off cursed stock offering

Techie real estate upstart and VC cash furnace WeWork has called off its IPO amidst mounting corporate disasters. The office-subletting company on Monday confirmed to the US Securities and Exchange Commission that it was withdrawing its request to go public with a stock offering. "We have decided to postpone our IPO to focus …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If there is a way to revolutionize the commercial real estate business...

WeWork hasn't found it. At a time when most commercial real estate firms are doing pretty well (Decent global economy and low interest rates are very good for a capital-intensive business.), these guys are burning through massive amounts of money. Their operations don't look at all sustainable.

1. John Gamble

Re: If there is a way to revolutionize the commercial real estate business...

It's my understanding that they locked themselves into a lot of long-term leases (assuming they hadn't bought a building outright) with an optimistic expectation of high use by teams of startups.

The business model itself isn't bad, but it still has to be run as a business, and they're stumbling over basic management errors.

I walk by a WeWork once or twice a week on my way to a coffee shop with WiFi, but then my "team" -- when I have one -- isn't local, and we rarely number more than four.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

The CEO locked them into a bunch of long term leases that he acquired personally and then sold on once they suddenly increased in value when wework moved in - sounds like a fscking awesome business model to me !

WeWork’s CEO Makes Millions as Landlord to WeWork

2. Nick Kew

At a time when most commercial real estate firms are doing pretty well

Erm, I don't know about worldwide, but here in Blighty, REIT (commercial real estate) shares have been severely hammered in recent times. The worst have been retail space (retailers going bust everywhere), but office space providers have been hard-hit too.

1. Peter2 Silver badge

The worst have been retail space (retailers going bust everywhere), but office space providers have been hard-hit too.

This actually depends on where this is, and how desperately the local council is trying to destroy their town center.

Some councils are outright suicidal, sticking hugely high parking costs on their carparks, and then taxing the businesses in the town centre at a very high level, and then when businesses fold or relocate then they crank up the taxes yet higher to make up for lost revenue. Spot the problem.

Yet other councils are actually pretty well managed, encouraging relatively low costs on parking, reasonable tax rates and then using their tourism boards to put events on that draw people in to make more money for their businesses which encourages businesses to move to them, which means that they are presumably making quite reasonable amounts from their town center.

Some office providers are getting hit hard; some aren't. The business I worked for moved out of a lovely set of offices into a smaller and less gucci set of offices that cost just over one tenth of the amount and moved a rather large sum from "costs" to "profit". I suspect that the big office providers with the lovely marble columns etc are screaming blue murder, but the cheap and cheerful industrial unit providers are certainly doing rather better.

It's rather difficult to say that a sector is doing badly, parts are and parts aren't.

1. Tom Paine

It's rather difficult to say that a sector is doing badly, parts are and parts aren't.

Yes, and if you arrange the numbers for each of those parts in a column, draw a line at a bottom and add up all the component parts, you get a number that enables you to say something about the sector as a whole. Rather straightforward, I'd say...

2. sal II

The problem in Blighty is the B-word, and the potential for businesses collapses and/or exodus depending on the outcome.

2. Mayday
    Pint

Why bother?

If I need to sit in a place with wireless and do some work why cant I do it at home or at a pub where I can drink beer? Only for the cost of the beer too.

Not sure what their business model is or trying to achieve.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Why bother?

The same reason as all inventions ..s...e...x....

Apparently, according to my friends in the city of hipsters, the prospect of all these future billionaire founders in one place attracted certain young ladies (and presumably certain young men).

Once a sufficient density of attractive young ladies was achieved that attracted young gentlemen

Many of the gentlemen were prepared to grow fashionable beards and stand on skateboards at standing desks imagineering paradigm-shifting innovations on their mac-books

And there was much swooning and art-ing of lattes.

Still, if you need to rent an office for a day in a strange city and are prepared to stifle your gag reflex at the motiviational slogans the coffee isn't bad.

2. AdamWill

Doing it at home requires you to have the space for a home office without it impinging on the rest of your life. For entry-level remote workers in expensive cities this is not a given: they may be in a studio or just have a single room in a shared unit. Even if you *can* work in those conditions, you might not always *want* to. Going to an Actual Office Space might feel like an upgrade, especially if you can get your employer to cover some or all of the cost.

Actual Office Space also offers stuff like videoconferencing equipment and printers and other office-y things that Kids These Days wouldn't necessarily use enough to want to buy and have taking up space all the time, but do need to use sometimes. They're more work-oriented spaces than coffee shops, and there can be a networking effect.

I mean, it's a perfectly reasonable niche business. It's just not a tech company, and it's not worth eleventy billion dollars, especially when the management seems to be good at setting money on fire and acting like a tech company but quite bad at the nuts and bolts of running a real estate business.

1. Nick Kew

Expensive cities? Just move!

Laptop, wifi, phone, bed. Light, ventilation, peace&quiet. Availability nearby of water, kettle, and loo.

What else do you need for a working office environment?

Come to think of it, some of the offices I've worked in have been pretty defective. Inadequate ventilation, lights that buzz and flicker, foul coffee, desks and/or chairs that cause agony in my back. Definitely better off at home. Peace and quiet is the joker: no likelihood of that either at home or in an office until and unless you're doing pretty well for yourself.

1. Gonzo wizard

it sounds great but I get cabin fever after a couple of days of home working.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

In many cases, companies put all their staff in a specific area in the same building, and then it's a lot like an office owned by the company. Leasing from any number of landlords can be similar. In that case, the reason is primarily having staff located close together so they can meet in person. It also lets them provide certain facilities that are unlikely to be in everyone's home. Working from home is great if you choose to do so and have a home suited to it. It doesn't work so well when you need things an office has, including proximity to colleagues.

3. c1ue

WeWork is Enron combined with a Ponzi scheme.

Enron because the long term leases enriched the early investors - who happen to own buildings which WeWork leased, which increased in value after the WeWork leases dramatically reduced vacancy rates.

Ponzi because it is very clear that WeWork founders are cashing out like mad - both JPM and Softbank money. Getting while the going is good.

The unit economics are awful: they're selling $1 for $0.05 in the first year - and what is even more amusing is that we've already seen a "coworking" rise and fall: look up Regus' journey.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Enron because the long term leases enriched the early investors - who happen to own buildings which WeWork leased, which increased in value after the WeWork leases dramatically reduced vacancy rates.

That should have been an earlier alarm bell, ie the CEO owning buildings and leasing them to his own company via seperate entities... A rather large conflict of interest.

Ponzi because it is very clear that WeWork founders are cashing out like mad - both JPM and Softbank money. Getting while the going is good.

AFAIK, that isn't the case, ie Softbank's invested a lot of money into WeWork, and with the IPO cancelled, won't be able to do the usual cash-out. Plus there are some scale problems, namely WeWork has become the 3rd largest commercial landlord in the world, and largest in cities like NY. So going titsup.com leaves a bit of a problem for building owners and real-estate lenders.

I'm a bit curious how it's managed to fail so hard. The idea seems reasonable, ie take a 15yr lease on a building and pay X per square foot, then sub-let for X+20% in 15 month chunks. Either they're not able to fill the leases or achieve the +20%, or are losing that money by not being able to provide the services and make any margin.

But given the amount of space they've leased, they're hovering around the almost 'too big to fail' territory given the potential impact on the banks. But failing might be no bad thing if that leads to deflation and cheaper office space. It's one of those bubbles that perhaps needs to burst given the excess of office space at a time when businesses have been looking at flexible working.

1. Gonzo wizard

Too big to fail?

If they were to fail, wouldn't the original leaseholder be motivated to offer to at least continue the existing end-user leases to term rather than be faced with a suddenly empty building and zero income?

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Too big to fail?

Logically, I'd say 'yes'. Better to have some income than none. But I guess the issue is how it happens, ie Ch11 restructing or Ch7 meltdown. Then a bit of contractual 2-step between building owners/managers and end-user lease holders.. ie dealing with administrators rather than someone who's got more skin in the game.

Big issue seems to be timing, ie developers paying down their loans to their lenders who may or may not see a sudden drop in their lease income leading to those developers also going bust. Which I guess could lead to commerciall foreclosure type scenarios where new owners could pick up office buildings out of bankruptcy and then offer lower price leases.. But then given the scale of WeWork's property interests, that could lead to wider deflation in commercial property rates.

Which arguably could be a good thing for tenants given lease costs/property rental costs are one of those things driving those tenants into bankruptcy. Empty properties don't benefit anyone though.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WeWork, but We don't IPO

"Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down" ??

Do I win a prize?

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

"We Work" is now a Junk Stock

Why don't people learn to look at a business properly before deciding to invest "loadsamoney" into something that clearly is too good to be true.

When the CEO gets a private Jet then the alarm bells should have been ringing loud and clear especially if it is just before an IPO.

I fully expect them to file for Chapter 11 within 3 months. Then the lawsuits will follow. This won't end well except for the $500//hour lawyers that is.

1. Gonzo wizard

Re: "We Work" is now a Junk Stock

Junk stock before it is even issued - impressive.

6. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Go

"VC cash furnace"

Thanks, El Reg, for yet another concise and brilliant description.

1. paulf
      Thumb Up

Re: "VC cash furnace"

That (which made me giggle out loud in the paulf & co open plan office) along with the later text, "CEO and aspiring immortal trillionaire Adam Neumann [...] had to step down from the company to spend more time walking around Manhattan barefoot." is some peak (but deserved) snark and has made my Tuesday. Thank you El Reg and Shaun Nichols.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It is excellent, but perhaps points to a wider problem - a significant part of the US economy now seems to function by burning VC cash. Uber, Twitter, Tesla.

One wonders if the heat is going to fuel some kind of economic turbogenerator, or whether in fact it's going to keep Hell warm.

1. Gonzo wizard

Still better than it all sitting in a tax haven...

2. paulf
        Terminator

It depends where the VCs raise their money from, as to who is ultimately fuelling the VC cash furnaces.

I'd wonder how much money VCs raise from pension funds. If the money they raise is lavished on enriching people like Neumann at WeWork, Uber Bro Kalanick and the like, with the VCs skimming off massive fees for their hard work, while the Pension fund managers are also well remunerated generally regardless of performance; then surely there is only one big loser in all of this? Us minions as our retirement benefits are reduced thanks to these jokers spunking our pension fund cash up the wall. Some might cynically refer to it as Trickle Up Economics (TM).

Yeah I know, conspiracy theorist with an armour plated tin foil hat marked "Muggins".

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Nope, entirely reasonable and how Wall Street works.

Income for its workers is based on short term changes in share price. Keep the stuff churning and make money. The VCs are most likely playing with the pension funds of those of us who don't specify "No venture capital" in our portfolios. Their companies get paid even as shares tank. And leverage means that on the rare occasion when companies succeed, they profit more than we do.

2. Commswonk

It depends where the VCs raise their money from, as to who is ultimately fuelling the VC cash furnaces.

Not entirely a follow - on to the above , but close enough.

Obligatory Dilbert: https://dilbert.com/strip/2001-03-31

I knew I'd find it if I looked hard enough.

7. Korev Silver badge

Full disclosure

> Full disclosure: The Register was housed at WeWork offices in London and San Francisco. The coffee at the SF office is terrible and the toilets aren't much better.

FTFY (I assume they won't be overly happy with the coverage from this Esteemed Organ)

1. katrinab Silver badge

Re: Full disclosure

Have you made preparations for when the receiver for the superior landlord turns up? In England, rent next falls due on 24th December. It is 28th November in Scotland, 1st November in Ireland; California might follow one of those traditions. If WeWork are unable to get more cash to fuel the furnace, I'm guessing their next rent bill won't be paid.

1. Psmo

The CEO is their landlord- I don't think he will kill his golden goose just yet...

2. Commswonk

I assume they won't be overly happy with the coverage from this Esteemed Organ

This coverage is entirely consistent with the concept of "Biting the hand that feeds IT" that is - for want of a better expression - El Reg's Mission Statement, even if the article isn't noticeably IT - related.

1. Psmo

"Biting the hand that feeds IT"

"Sawing off the branch we're sitting on"

8. Korev Silver badge

Meetup

I really hope that Meetup.com (swallowed by weWork) survives. It's actually useful* and this Expat owes his social life to it.

* Despite the IMHO rather poor and incomplete site rewrite...

9. druck Silver badge
    Stop

No Meat... No IPO!

I blame it on their decision only offer foliage based sustenance.

1. richdin

Re: No Meat... No IPO!

I eat processed greens... cow eats grass... I eat cow.

1. Jonathon Green

Is the cow engaged as a subcontractor is a zero-hours basis?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Is the cow engaged as a subcontractor is a zero-hours basis?

Nope. Meat production is old skool. The cow has a guaranteed job for life.

It gets healthcare too! But the contract is strangely silent on the pension benefits.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

We could solve that ethically by breeding intelligent cows and then giving them a religion with an afterlife.

It's worked for a lot of human societies, after all.

10. Petrea Mitchell
    Alert

The end of tulip, er, cash-burning mania

This feels like that moment I've read about in February 1637 when everyone suddenly collectively realized that tulip prices had gotten ridiculous.

11. doublelayer Silver badge

Why do they call it a tech company

WeWork has been calling itself a tech company since I've heard of it, and I still don't understand their logic. Of course, they have some tech workers, but who doesn't? There are lots of companies that have a lot more technical work and yet are never called tech companies, such as most banks, mineral exploration companies, and agribusiness. This company is a real estate business. So what is the tech they keep talking about? Have I missed some supercomputer they have doing something really technical?

1. Mr Sceptical
      Trollface

Re: Why do they call it a tech company

Answer: They've got a fancy website and talk about their fantastic, disruptive, innovative, life-affirming tech?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like