back to article vBulletin zero-day KOs Comodo user forums – that's 245,000 accounts at risk of compromise

Security plaftorm vendor Comodo has 'fessed up to a digital break-in affecting 245,000 users – after it ignored line one in the first chapter of the "How to do Basic Security" book about timely patching of software. Despite the whole world (yup, us too) shouting about the latest zero-day bug in vBulletin forum software, Comodo …

1. Blockchain commentard
    Facepalm

Do as I say, not as I do.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yep! Zero Trust

Security platform vendor not patching their own servers, can someone take them out of business to put an end to their misery ?

Why would any sane person/organization do business with Comodo after this incident ?

3. I3N
    FAIL

Please save me from NUTANIX ...

Really ... just .... awful .... on ... the ... eyes ....

4. Alister

It's easy to point and laugh

However here's a couple of thoughts:

The reality is for any large organisation, that there will be a change management process which has to be followed, and that process can take some time.

There must be a risk management process, and setting up an agreed maintenance window, and notifying users that the forum will be offline.

It's not just a single bloke in his mum's basement, who can decide to do the upgrade when he wants.

Secondly, VBulletin is notoriously fickle, and if you have any customisations or add-ons then upgrading to the latest version can really screw things up. To do that without any testing would be fatal, and obviously testing takes time.

Given they had five days notice, I'm not surprised they hadn't yet patched it.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Well the fact remains that, come Monday morning, the change management process was put on the fast track, the forum was shut down and the site was patched. So that could have happened before they got hacked.

1. Alister

Or possibly they already had the change scheduled, and Monday would have been the earliest they could do it anyway?

5. Hans 1
    Holmes

Security plaftorm vendor Comodo has 'fessed up to a digital break-in affecting 245,000 users – after it ignored line one in the first chapter of the "How to do Basic Security" book about timely patching of software.

A lot seem to fail at that ... all the outdated, unpatched thus vulnerable tech still in operation across our industry ...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Moderator of a large ZA forum here. We were on vBulletin, but we migrated over to Xenforo.

When I read about the 0-day exploit, I was glad that we ditched vB for Xenforo. vB indeed is notoriously fickle to update and all that.

Now I'm wondering how many unpatched vB installs are still out there....

7. NonSSL-Login
    FAIL

Layers of security

A lot of VBB installs that were vulnerable to this bug were not exploitable because of other server hardening techniques.

One would have thought a security company would have made sure their websites and customer facing servers were hardened being that a security breach affects their security related brand...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OMG: They still have not upgraded to the latest vbulletin version!!!

Comodo is now running vbulletin 5.5.2 while the current latest version is 5.5.4

Do these people ever learn?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon