back to article Astroboffins spy the most ancient protocluster of galaxies yet found post Big Bang

The oldest protocluster of galaxies found to date began clumping together some 13 billion years ago, when the universe was just 6 per cent of its current age. A global team of 36 astrophysicists led by the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ) studying data taken from the Keck and Gemini Observatory and the Subaru …

1. jake Silver badge

Somebody is bound to ask "Why waste the money on this???" ...

... so allow me to preemptively provide a one word answer:

Science.

1. Blackjack Silver badge

Re: Somebody is bound to ask "Why waste the money on this???" ...

And is still less money than what politicians waste on [insert text here].

2. Blockchain commentard
    Facepalm

And what's older than these? Your mum!!!!

1. sbt
      Coat

Nah, if it was a big bang...

... it was yo momma.

Top shelf boffinry, tho'.

3. Tom 7

Arse about face

"Tracing the formation of the largest structures in the universe" should be "Spotting the galaxies that form first in the density anomalies that formed in the big bang and will coalesce into the largest structures of the universe".

4. RegGuy1 Silver badge
    Happy

Paragraph out of line

Wow! The gravitational force is so big it's pulled one paragraph into another! You don't see that often.

5. sitta_europea Silver badge

Very soon we should be able to infer what's beyond the bounds of the visible universe by looking at the motion of things which aren't.

That will be fun.

1. Tom 7

Slight relativistic problem there.

6. stratofish

“However, we're surprised to see that Himiko was located not in the center of the protocluster, but on the edge 500 million light-years away from the center."

At 800 million years after the big bang, that would have covered a sizeable part of the universe, 10% or so maybe? Or do they mean it is now that far away?

1. Kibble 2

The distance to Himiko wasn't stated in the article, and is apparently just another large galaxy within the z66OD protocluster. [z66OD is] "the oldest protocluster of galaxies found to date began clumping together some 13 billion years ago."

Basically the Reg article is click bait, but still demonstrates interesting science.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

"500 million light-years" I'm at a loss. How much is that in London buses?

1. Winkypop Silver badge
        Windows

London buses

Pre 1965 models or post?

7. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Joke

I, for one...

will "Kneel before Z(66)OD."

8. Tromos
    Joke

most ancient protocluster of galaxies yet found post Big Bang

Yawn. Wake me up when they find some pre Big Bang.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like