back to article YouTuber charged loads of fans $199 for shoddy machine-learning course that copy-pasted other people's GitHub code

The AI hysteria has led to a rash of budding engineers hoping to land a cushy job somewhere in Silicon Valley. So it's no wonder that thousands flocked to an online course titled Make Money with Machine Learning fronted by Siraj Raval, a self-proclaimed AI educator, rapper, and entertainer with nearly 700,000 subscribers on …

1. holmegm

On the one hand, yeah - if everything is as stated here, what a jerk.

At the same time - you shelled out for course without a refund policy, then later you wanted a refund? And he gave you one (albeit reluctantly)?

1. xanda

Indeed.

It certainly doesn't bode well that all those technically, and perhaps scientifically, intelligent students have such an affinity for daftness. Or perhaps they feel the principle of due diligence is not of value for AI?

2. Blockchain commentard

I take it he got this idea from Trump University?

3. Hans 1
    Coffee/keyboard

"Some people really like him, and other people really hate him. I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and try for myself to form my own opinion of him. My opinion of him now is that he's a fake and dishonest crook."

Nicely put

1. The Indomitable Gall

I'd be more generous and say that he's fallen into the greatest cognitive trap of the crowdfunding era -- the idea that money comes first, then everything else falls into place.

Kickstarter was so swapped with this sort of thinking (for example all the non-engineers who said "give me some money and I'll hire an engineer to create my technologically impossible and/or financially infeasible games console) that they insisted on prototypes first (and now they all head to Indiegogo instead).

The notion of building a course around freely-available information is so much the mainstream that the notion on its own is valueless (how many of your uni lecturers invented and/or discovered the stuff they taught you) -- it's the execution that matters.

What I note as missing from the article is any discussion of quality assurance. If you're delivering a course to that many people, there should be several layers of oversight, and ideally also a fairly rigorous testing process involving teaching beginners... I doubt there was any of that.

It's the thing that bugged me most about Coursera and Udacity when they first came out -- 1000s of people taking courses that had never been run before, and many of which (on Coursera and EdX, anyway) were only ever run once. No beta testing, no refinement or improvement... all people ever saw was the first draft. In that situation, at least these courses were based heavily on tried and tested university modules, but even then, the change of medium really called for a lot more in terms of adaptation and testing.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. computerguy001

why do people go for online tutorials?

From what I have seen, courses are successful when they act as a convenient training program which helps users get started with a technology/domain with minimum effort. There are already a lot of information available and easily accessible, in the form of books and papers (many important papers have an archived version, but not all of them have one- thus, some of them are completely free). But the number of people who will directly benefit from such sources are very less.

The small group of people who benefit from these primary sources will have to make the material even more accessible, to reach a larger audience who finds it hard, or cannot learn directly from research works. This goes on, as new groups of people work towards simplifying the material even further. And finally this reaches the majority who rarely benefit from reading papers or reference books. Tutorials target the lowest level and are supposed to be as easy as possible, enabling practitioners in the field to easily adapt to the new way of doing things.

Thus, as long as the instructors break down the material quite well and explain everything step by step without having the users do a lot of work, the course should become a success. Yes, I do agree that there must be some level of beta testing. But there are users who would volunteer to pay and sign up for new courses that are marked as "beta", as long as it covers everything they need and they are given a trial period to evaluate if the course will really benefit them.

But the course mentioned in the above article is quite suspicious, if whatever that was said was true.

1. The Indomitable Gall

Re: why do people go for online tutorials?

All very much true.

However, the good course designer starts with a particular demographic in mind as his/her target audience, and builds the course around them. A good teacher will adapt the course on the fly if students are finding it too hard or too easy.

Modern digital courseware wants to sell to as wide an audience as possible, which means all notions of prerequisite learning go out the window. Then there's the tendency for everything to be live coding instead of lectures, which means everything's paced by lines of code rather than complexity of concepts.

I've been watching a LinkedIn Learning course on Vue.js today. and it's exclusively live coding. The presenter keeps going off on tangents just in case you don't know particular features of JavaScript as and when they pop up in a line of code he's writing.

2. gpredett

Re: why do people go for online tutorials?

The right question would be: is anyone going to be actually hired and kept in the job for more than two months because of all these trivial courses?

4. Rich 11

This chap sounds ideally suited for Silicon Valley.

1. C_D

That must be a typo. It's "Silly Con Valley"

5. Mr Dogshit

Artificial Intelligence?

Artificial Stupidity

1. Commswonk

Re: Artificial Intelligence?

Artificial Stupidity

Nope; this stupidity is utterly real and naturally occurring.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ouch

In my days a person that did stuff like this was called a scammer. I guess things change. Now anything goes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ouch

I think they call them 'influencers' today...

1. Tom 7

Efluencers?

1. MNB

Effluencers!

Thank you. You owe me the beer I just spat out in mirth! :)

7. steviebuk Silver badge

Sounds a lot like...

..Eli The Computer Guy. Originally thought he seemed OK with his free courses on YouTube. Then noticed that most of his "Courses" consisted of one or two videos on the subject, then he'd move on to something else. Got the impression he was just taking the first two chapters of a book and blurting them out in the hope to get viewers and subs (unfortunately has worked). I gave up on him when I watched his backups video. The amount of disinformation in that was clear he has never implemented a proper backup solution before.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sounds a lot like...

I like some of Eli's videos and he has a lot of interesting informations.

But I'd never pay for learning vids and the thought of being a "YouTube celeb" seems kinda weird to me.

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Re: Sounds a lot like...

Yeah although i can understand why they want to be. They then feel like they are working for themselves and not some faceless corp. I find it hard to explain as you'll get some that want to do it for that reason and will shit on anyone that gets in the way or misunderstand the approach. Such as the guy that started up a video podcast for Star Wars Republic as it was being released. Was doing it from his house. Which was all fine. But then he thought to be bigger he needs to go and rent an office space with big TVs in the background. Long story short, didn't last long after the move and "hiring staff". That's where a lot of them go wrong.

We all want to work for ourselves and YouTube used to be a way to do it. But I think getting lucky with it so you get the numbers that you can now do it as your day job but ignore the bullshit "YouTube celebrity" side of it is just fine. Its why I like the likes of LGR. He's done it as a hobby for years and now finally made it a success & was able to quit his job a while ago. But he doesn't get involved in the "celebrity" side of it. He's even admitted in an old video he wouldn't do meet ups with viewers he doesn't know. As its really uncomfortable meeting strangers as it is. Strangers that think they know you just cause they watch you all the time must be even weirder.

8. Martin Summers Silver badge

Make money from machine learning? Well he wasn't lying about that was he. He just didn't mention it would only be him making it.

1. Blank Reg

Much like the "make money in real estate" seminars.

1. Robert Moore
        Happy

I am going to start a seminar on making money on the exciting business of seminars.

Bound to be a winner.

9. John McCallum
    Trollface

Vote here

a self-proclaimed AI educator, rapper ..."

.And I stopped reading at that point. No more info about this guy needed.

Millennials - if you want to learn something save yourself a dumb online fee and instead try reading up on it (even - gasp - a book or 2) then putting what you've learnt into practice. Its worked for millenia (ironically).

As this comment is not accepting votes. vote here

10. katrinab Silver badge
    Trollface

I think I see the problem

In order to "make money with machine learning", the tool you need to know how to use is Powerpoint, and you need to use it to persuade people who have money to part with that money.

For example, Andrea Rossi managed to persuade Woodford Capital to part with £32m for his cold fusion "invention", and there is very little evidence that it actually works.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He's a rank fraud and nothing else.

He claimed to have authored a best-seller on his website. That book on Amazon has a paltry 3 star rating from 17 ratings and multiple reviewers have shared their suspicion of manipulated 5 star reviews.

See:

https://www.amazon.com/Decentralized-Applications-Harnessing-Blockchain-Technology/dp/1491924543

Besides this, he removed all references to Udacity from his LinkedIn profile, which is extremely suspicious given his deep involvement in their deep learning nanodegree programs for at least 2 years now.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sirajraval/

12. Alistair
    Windows

I know of at least one "ad" for the course in question

Someone I know who has been thinking about getting into AI pointed me at it. I noted right off the top that there were not one but three typos in the ad, and that the reference article was written by the person giving the course. Both red flags in my book.

13. Daedalus

So he's pissed off over a thousand wannabe programmers at least a few of whom will be smart enough to cobble something together to make him regret his sins.

14. jackr

emm

Sounds like every programming course I have ever heard of.

15. jackr

emm

Sounds like every programming course I have ever come across.

16. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Raval's Bolero

AI Rap

17. HmYiss

Shocking..

A yootoobuh that is a Musk-backed attention-whoring fraud?

You don't say..

18. BuckingWild

Why aren't you writing these articles slamming universities?

I am currently a software engineer in a data science team producing software that yields millions of dollars in revenue for our company. I did my undergraduate in physics and my professors encouraged us to view MIT Open Courseware lectures alongside their subpar teaching. I learned more from those online lectures than I ever could in those expensive classes. I paid tens of thousands of dollars for that education. I decided that it was better bang for my buck to learn data science than in would every be to continue on in the weak education system we have globally. I paid 30 dollars month, for a year, to pick up the skills to get into data science. I landed a great job, paying a great salary because I took advantage of these types of opportunities. If you hate on this guy for collecting code that is open to the public and creating huge value from it, then you can go get your masters degree for $50-100k and work for someone who took advantage of these types of offerings. Anyone who hates on this is part of an old school, suppressive system that will continue to hold talented people down. Buck the system and keep learning!

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Why aren't you writing these articles slamming universities?

Your comment starts off reasonable. We have all seen subpar teaching in established universities, and we all know there are very good online teaching materials. I'll gladly agree to that.

And you then turn around and say that, because this is the case, all the material online is better than a university. That's just wrong. The course referred to in this article, for example, started off pretty badly in that it didn't teach the concepts people need to learn. And this guy doesn't get credit for useful code someone else wrote either; I'm fine if he chooses to teach from it, but he should properly credit the original authors and choosing useful Github projects does not a good course make. The internet has a bunch of information, and for every very helpful resource out there, there are at least ten pages with something outdated, incorrect, biased, or useless. Your all-or-nothing stance is misguided.

1. GrumpenKraut
        FAIL

He created an account just for posting his nonsense. Totally not a shill.

1. ibmalone

"Anyone who hates on this"

...didn't even need to check post history to recognise that style.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

From the text of the post, I can imagine him being emotionally motivated enough to create an account.

https://xkcd.com/386/

2. Aussie Doc
      Coat

You're Siraj Raval and I claim my $5. Put it in my pocket--->

19. aj69

Praised by Elon Musk

That should have been the tell.

20. Lewis R

No surprise, and definitely will not be the last example we see

As a Novell-certified engineer, I remember well the number of "paper CNEs" who entered the field in the 1990's. These folks had no idea which side of the floppy disk to stick in the drive, but they studied the book and passed the exams. No doubt many of these went on to "teach" their newfound "skills" to others for a fee. My mother held a doctorate in Education, so I learned at a rather young age just what was involved in "educating" students, and it was/is far more than as presented in this article. Still, people are attracted by a low price for learning (no shame in that, but as has already been said, buy a book or two: it's even cheaper).

Also, since when does the number of github-hosted repositories denote someone's technical abilities beyond the ability to click the "fork" button repeatedly?

All of this aside, caveat emptor. If you're going to hand over $200 to someone you don't know, read the fine print. Look for the satisfaction assurance, and if missing, ask before purchasing. Heck, I don't even sign up for forum access without reading the privacy policy and ToS (no, not Star Trek, gang!). I know I'm in the minority concerning my level of retentiveness, but due diligence is mine to perform alone. If I fail, I have only myself to blame.

21. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

First red flag should have been the absent refunds policy.

22. jayViant
    Devil

100% CPU in Browser on Siraj Raval's Web Site

When I visited this "AI Experts" Web Site I was surprised to find it almost impossible to even scroll down the page, I am not currently running an AdBlocker and am sure if I was then I would not have encountered this 100% CPU in my Browser.

It appear's he's running Browser CPU Cryptocurrency Mining on his Web Site?

23. gpredett

"Ray Phan, a senior computer-vision and deep-learning engineer ..." why on earth someone "senior" in deep lesrning wants to pay for a youyube tutorial in machine kesrning?!?!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like